Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for Snow Showers this Week, 8-12th Dec

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

I feel, based on this unsubstantiated information, the very least we should do is open a "Snowmaggedon The One Snow to Rule Them All - Warning Level 3" thread.
    You know it's the right thing.

I hope to God I see this on here in my lifetime!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The forecasted temperatures for Friday have went from 2-5c to 3-7c. Snow still forecasted, but I'd doubt much will be seem during daylight hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Wintry outlook for NI met office-This Evening and Tonight:
    Clear spells and wintry showers, some heavy with a risk of thunder, and falling increasingly as snow above 150m, perhaps occasionally to lower levels too. Westerly or southwesterly gales or severe gales with large waves affecting the north coast. Minimum Temperature 1C.

Wednesday:
    Sunny spells, with blustery occasionally heavy, wintry showers with snow above about 150m. Very windy with gusts around 70mph on northern coasts and hills. Large waves affecting the north coast. Maximum Temperature 7C.

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:
    Severe gales Thursday with a spell of heavy rain and hill snow. Less windy, brighter start Friday then rain and hill snow, but sunny spells and scattered snow showers Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Unreal monsoon just came through here in Naas. 165mm/hr rain rate

pad199207 wrote: »
    Unreal monsoon just came through here in Naas. 165mm/hr rain rate

Any hail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I missed the last big snow in 2010, so I'm a bit curious about how bad things can get. Bring it on, snow me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Any hail?

On my satnav app (Waze), I see hail was reported at 17:15 on the N4 west near Adamstown (near Lucan)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Korat wrote: »
    I missed the last big snow in 2010, so I'm a bit curious about how bad things can get. Bring it on, snow me up.

it was incredible a once in a lifetime experience, the whole country was white for a full month ...like being in Scandinavia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Korat wrote: »

In was a pain in the fúckin arse. The country ground to a halt. Pipes froze and burst, too many people slipping and hurting themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

highdef wrote: »
    On my satnav app (Waze), I see hail was reported at 17:15 on the N4 west near Adamstown (near Lucan)

I drove on the m4 at about that time. No hail but cloudburst type rain. It was great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

In was a pain in the fúckin arse. The country ground to a halt. Pipes froze and burst, too many people slipping and hurting themselves.

well at least it made a change from the rain

I quite enjoyed watching the local politicians slip and slide to their cars after a meeting one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

fryup wrote: »
    it was incredible a once in a lifetime experience, the whole country was white for a full month ...like being in Scandinavia

It was pretty interesting alright :)

4 years later we're still talking about it. Lovely. I'd absolutely love it to happen again.

Blower in my vehicle stopped working and I had to wrap up nice and snug driving around. My journeys were taking around 5 hours eith frequent stops to de-ice the inside of my windscreen. My breath was condensing on the cold glass and freezing.

I must have looked some sight driving around in my outdoor gloves and balaclava ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS 18z puts snow on the ground over central and eastern Ireland on Friday morning

... An ice day for some over the snow-fields

Rtavn7217.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,463 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Once again the latest GFS showing the potential for snow on Thursday night in many places away from southern counties and Thursday itself over Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

What are the chances for snow in Dublin on Thursday or Friday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Korat wrote:

same here. I was abroad in Korea although it was quite a mission to get to school there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Once again the latest GFS showing the potential for snow on Thursday night in many places away from southern counties and Thursday itself over Ulster.
    What are the chances for snow in Dublin on Thursday or Friday ?

I think the N and NW will only do well from this setup , showers will die off quickly enough as they head SE were they'll only leave a dusting of snow at best on current models.

I think this is the best risk area map , even though the model gives risks for even further SE , but apart from the dublin/wicklow mountains im not keeping my hopes up.
    331252.png

Could be 5-10cms in places in the NW though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,463 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We are relying on the occlusion moving south somewhat.

54-779UK.GIF?09-18

57-779UK.GIF?09-18

57-779UK.GIF?09-18

FINALLY Clare may get some overdue snow.

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I think the N and NW will only do well from this setup , showers will die off quickly enough as they head SE were they'll only leave a dusting of snow at best on current models.

I think this is the best risk area map , even though the model gives risks for even further SE , but apart from the dublin/wicklow mountains im not keeping my hopes up.
    331252.png

Could be 5-10cms in places in the NW though :rolleyes:

So slim to none for Dublin !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I have my driving test in Rathgar Friday, afterwards let it snow all it wants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

euro 4 friday morning
    14121206_0918.gif

euro 4 friday morning
    14121206_0918.gif

I'm in the snow area.
    God help the airports if it ever snows! Remember Dublin when it snowed? It just shut down.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I'm in the snow area.
    God help the airports if it ever snows! Remember Dublin when it snowed? It just shut down.

Woohoo I'm in the snow area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

euro 4 friday morning
    14121206_0918.gif

I have to laugh at the random green blob over Tuam :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Will the snow hang about or will it be more of a "flurry" type situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Pangea wrote: »
    I have to laugh at the random green blob over Tuam :D

Feckin typical😭

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

54-779UK.GIF?09-18

57-779UK.GIF?09-18

Cork snow shield firmly in place :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭omicron

331284.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement