Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for Snow Showers this Week, 8-12th Dec

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Latest WRF agrees with NMM model with a slight downgrade , giving the best chance for leinster to the wicklow mountains.

Looks like i'll come down to nowcasting. Still.. exciting nonetheless !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Latest WRF agrees with NMM model with a slight downgrade , giving the best chance for leinster to the wicklow mountains.

Looks like i'll come down to nowcasting. Still.. exciting nonetheless !

BBC NI weather playing down the snow risk for northern areas tomorrow now as well

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Are we talking snow tonight? Or tomorrow night? South Dublin 850ft?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

horsefarm wrote: »
    Are we talking snow tonight? Or tomorrow night? South Dublin 850ft?

Probably not for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Fridays your day. I'll say the northeast (Balbrigan, Drogheda, Dundalk ) will get a few snow showers maybe even 2-3 cm. I'm going for a 75% chance of this happening :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

Ah,you would see some back end snow at 850ft asl in South Dublin,even with this evenings slight downgrade
    850ft asl is quite high for S Dublin and must be near the mountains which is another plus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Last shower we had few minutes ago in Galway was mostly sleet this time at sea level...

Showers here have went from rain/hail to slush here in clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Some spectacular hail here in Achill over the past hour. The ground is still white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

sunbeam wrote: »
    Some spectacular hail here in Achill over the past hour. The ground is still white.

Pics is always nice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

"rain turning to snow in places" for tomorrow night/Friday morning wrote up on the end of the 2130 forecast on RTE 1 .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible night here, lots of cold, cold rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Recent Snow reported at Finner and a gust of 63knots . nasty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

How are we looking for Thurs night/Friday morning? Is it pretty much just watch the rainfall radar at that stage for something coming, and then run outside to see if it's snow?

How are we looking for Thurs night/Friday morning? Is it pretty much just watch the rainfall radar at that stage for something coming, and then run outside to see if it's snow?

Depends where you are. In Donegal your practically guaranteed heavy showers of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Depends where you are. In Donegal your practically guaranteed heavy showers of snow.

Limerick here. Looking at the higher res charts, the west side of the country could see a bit. But I still won't believe it until I'm writing my name and the date in the snow on top of the car bonnet!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Sleat in Roundwood at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

torrential hail and rain in maynooth. quite gusty too. nasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Wintry showers are definitely on offer in the small hours for a lot of folks. Part of Ulster,North Leinster and Connaught doing very well it seems before precip dies off as colder air moves south.
    331401.png

331402.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

From the main man MT this morning
    "
    FRIDAY NIGHT and SATURDAY will be bitterly cold with snow showers rather widespread, 2-4 cm accumulations in some northern counties, 1-3 cm inland further south. Hail or rain showers may also fall near Atlantic coasts. Urban areas may see less accumulation too because of marginal temperatures warmed up there slightly, lows near -4 or -5 C inland, -2 to +2 around coasts, then highs 3-6 C as the day progresses. Then a sleety mix turning to rain will sweep in with the approach of warm fronts later in the day, in moderate northwest backing to westerly winds. "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just remember folks, this is a marathon, not a sprint!

All aboard the rollercoaster

everest%2811%29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Meh, nothing for Cork City I reckon anyway :( I wish a happy snow watching time to all the other fellow weather forum boardsies though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Lightly snowing here now in Dungiven, Co Derry :)

Looks currently like the northern edge of the overnight occlusion will be mostly snow
    BBC graphics have it sliding kind of south eastwards from about mayo- Dublin south wards
    It's a close run thing but it is possible that higher parts of S Dublin could see a longer part of the event as snow albeit wet snow than rain
    It looks like an all snow event in the Wicklow mtns for example
    Friday's showers should have a mix of snow and rain,mostly rain in the far south alright but I wouldn't rule out flakes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Achingly close!
    Up to 100 vehicles were trapped in snow for three hours at Carter Bar, in North Northumberland at the border with Scotland.

stream_img.jpg

stream_img.jpg

More pics and story here:
    http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2014-12-11/drivers-trapped-by-snow-dramatic-pictures/

uksnowrisk.png

I didn't see the red bulge as far south in previous runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Dónal wrote: »
    uksnowrisk.png

I didn't see the red bulge as far south in previous runs.

What does it mean Donal??? As I bite my nails in anticipation. Where I live (West Wicklow) is right bang in the middle of that Luvverrly red blob. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭leinad

Snow tomorrow morning definite from that in wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

The models may look great like that , it will be cold enough for snow tonight but will there be actually enough precipitation about is the main question . Big variation between the NMM hi res and WRF models

Wicklow nearly certain for some snow tonight , how much though is what we dont know.

• Advertisement

leinad wrote: »
    Snow tomorrow morning definite from that in wicklow?
    Its a distinct possibility, though it might be wet stuff and only settling inland and on higher ground
    A land breeze directly off the Wicklow mountains in this set up does increase the chances for east Wicklow and south Dublin

The poster above asking about west Wicklow should see some too
    I'd say anyone camping on lugnaqilla tonight or kippure may need to reinforce the tent roof
    I do not advise this camp out :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement