Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for Snow Showers this Week, 8-12th Dec

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

billyhead wrote: »
    How long would it take for the ice/frost to thaw out do you think? Was planning to head out for a spin on a road bike in the morning around 8.30am. I live in North county Dublin so it would take in the back country roads of this area.

10am or so just to be safe for back roads as they wouldn't be gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ice Pellets at finner at 19:00. Rain/drizzle elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mods we have two weather warnings in operation can you update the thread title please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Snowing now here in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What is you elevation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Exactly. I remember the winters of 2009/2010 with thick snow on the beaches in Portmarnock and Malahide for several days with snow in the Dublin suburbs for over two weeks in November and then again in December.

Dublin/Wicklow mountains are used to heavy snowfall..sometimes it is up there for weeks on end (or in 2009/2010) for nearly 3 months in places near Sally Gap.

However over other parts of Europe at the moment the weather is much milder....southern UK, France, Holland, Belgium, Germany.....

Having said that a north west wind brings very little in terms of actual lying snow....you need polar air for that. That is why the east and north of the country do very well when an easterly/north-easterly flow kicks in....that brings proper 'dry' snow and not slush stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Carnacalla wrote: »
    What is you elevation?

40m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

Closed my weather station a couple of years ago! 3.6c here at the moment with drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock at 7:30 pm. 2 degrees thick fog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

arctictree wrote: »
    Closed my weather station a couple of years ago! 3.6c here at the moment with drizzle.

Damn austerity :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Something starting here now in Co Derry. I see the odd flake but it could end up being sleet. *Lamp post watching intensifies*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Pics would be nice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

I think our Emerald Isle is in danger of SINKING:eek::eek:

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/?type=rain-snow-sleet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Wicklow, Galway, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary
    Heavy rain will continue this evening and for a time tonight; total rainfall accumulation will be around 25mm.

Issued:Thursday 11 December 2014 17:00
    Valid:Thursday 11 December 2014 17:00 to Friday 12 December 2014 04:00

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland
    Icy stretches will occur on footpaths and untreated road surfaces during Friday morning.

Issued:Thursday 11 December 2014 14:00
    Valid:Friday 12 December 2014 03:00 to Friday 12 December 2014 10:00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Wicklow, Galway, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary
    Heavy rain will continue this evening and for a time tonight; total rainfall accumulation will be around 25mm.

STATUS YELLOW

Icy stretches will occur on footpaths and untreated road surfaces during Friday morning.

I got excited when I saw the Yellow Warning for Limerick.

Then I reread it properly and it's for rain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

STATUS YELLOW

STATUS YELLOW

Theres no mention of snow just rain and ice ...thats bit strange

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Theres no mention of snow just rain and ice ...thats bit strange

I think the snow risk is all but diminished to peaks now i'm afraid , the colder air is just too far behind the band of precipitation .

It'll certainly be icy though come morning whenever the cold air to take over.

Calm down people it's only just artery 8pm it will snow later in the nite. Give the cold air a chance to move south

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Calm down people it's only just artery 8pm it will snow later in the nite. Give the cold air a chance to move south

Ian probably speaks the truth!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Ian probably speaks the truth!

Maybe so but I still reckon we are jumping the gun to early.
    There could be an explosion of pics in the next 8 hrs. Hope so anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

331478.gif

I would be watching this little development - looks like undercutting of colder air is causing lift on the back edge of the front and will cross the country later.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sleet now reported at both Aldergrove and Belfast City AP.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch (in south Dublin), light rain, 4.3c DP 3.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Some of the best snow events where unexpected so not bothered if its not being forecast ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Be positive n snow will come.

IT will arrive after midnight and many areas of the north n midlands will be white by morning.

However it will be all gone by 10am

Until dec 18 or 21

Thats my take using physcic weather bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Raining lightly here atm. We're bang on the coast at sea level, South Donegal. Temp is 1° DP -1.7°

Reports on fb it's snowing in finner Donegal. Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

It's been snowing pretty steady here for the last 3 hours, I've actually been surprised by the size of the snowflakes, they're massive. (About a mile away from Barnesmore Gap on the donegal town side)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

update from met.ie

Heavy rain in many areas will clear southwards overnight. Some sleet or wet snow likely on higher ground for a time.
    Frosty, icy conditions later in the night with lowest temperatures of +1 and -3 degrees C.
    Scattered wintry showers ( mix of hail, sleet and snow) will affect parts of the west and north by morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Drizzle here right now, temp 1.3C Dp.-0.8C. , had sleet/snow around 6.30. Been a cold rainy day with a max temp of 2.4C, had minus dew points all day but no snow then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

I took the High road home just there, Kilternan to Knocklyon, for "journalistic purposes".

Nothing to report except splashy.

Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ecX8jlFbuo&feature=youtu.be

Might try the return journey about 7 in the morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement