Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for Snow Showers this Week, 8-12th Dec

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭omicron

331285.gif

Potentially cold day for some on Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

We are relying on the occlusion moving south somewhat.

WRF now in range and has the front further south too.The ppn going from Galway to Dublin
    331294.png

2 m temps hovering around freezing .
    331295.png

Ok , I can now say im a bit more excited now looking at these charts :D

excited-baby.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What's that touching the South coast Iancar?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I have this sinking feeling thats our snow shield :-( .. please someone tell me Im wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Frustratingly, the GFS parallel charts (the new better and shiny charts) don't seem to agree so much about the extent of snowfall and the temperatures. It only shows lying snow in more or less the Ulster area whilst the regular GFS charts are showing upwards of 2" of snow across a large swathe of the midlands.
    This is getting close to being knife edge stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Knife edge alright. Could miss the far north completely

fax48s.gif?0

Is it me or is this turning into the first battle ground frontal rain/snow event in quite a long time? I think at this point, it will either be a midland or northern event. I can't see eastern coastal or southern areas (sorry Cork and Dublin) being affected to any degree with disruptive lying snow.
    The latest charts are showing upwards of 4" of lying snow on Thursday night in some midland areas. This could well end that some people will wake up to several inches of snow whilst friends/relatives an hours drive away (or less) are wondering what the fuss is all about as they are in the warm sector further south/east.
    I think it will be after the 06 GFS rolls out tomorrow morning before we can get more confident as to what will be the most likely outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wicklow mountains should get a nice pasting, will be heading up there to make my first snowman of the season with the kiddies, last year didn't get to do that at all.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭omicron

highdef wrote: »
    Is it me or is this turning into the first battle ground frontal rain/snow event in quite a long time? I think at this point, it will either be a midland or northern event. I can't see eastern coastal or southern areas (sorry Cork and Dublin) being affected to any degree with disruptive lying snow.
    The latest charts are showing upwards of 4" of lying snow on Thursday night in some midland areas. This could well end that some people will wake up to several inches of snow whilst friends/relatives an hours drive away (or less) are wondering what the fuss is all about as they are in the warm sector further south/east.
    I think it will be after the 06 GFS rolls out tomorrow morning before we can get more confident as to what will be the most likely outcome.

I wouldn't rule eastern counties out yet, maybe not right on the coast but possible accumulations not far inland.

331313.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

This is very marginal(the frontal event),but in its favour is a land crossing wind direction if you live away from the south/southwest
    so certainly the midlands northward,Ulster,north conaught,that type of area depending on where the front traverses and how quickly it engages the cold air
    I wouldn't rule out Dublin benefiting from that,especially higher ground or near higher ground
    After that in showers anyone could see a sprinkling,even Cork city and some will see a lot
    The fast moving flow involved is rare enough to be among the few episodes that doesn't suffer as much north atlantic modification as usual

• Advertisement

Agreed. I would say we will have a big mish mash of people on here Friday morning, some rejoicing the inches of snow and others complaining that all they got was rain or the snow didn't stick.
    With it currently being such a marginal forecast, I think Dublin city can almost certainly be ruled out with regards to disruption to snow. The UHI effect alone will probably be enough to cause any falling snow to melt on impact with the ground. Outlining higher areas of Dublin city (D16, 24, etc) may get something of interest but even that is not guaranteed.
    I myself am about 40km west of Dublin, at just under 100m ASL and generally colder than surrounding areas by about 1c (slight microclimate) and even I am not more than about 50% confident that I will get disruptive levels of snow although all roads out of the village are uphill so it doesn't take much snow before traction is lost driving a standard 2WD car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Just had the very lightest of snow mixed with rain in Carrick-on-Suir :confused:

Just had the very lightest of snow mixed with rain in Carrick-on-Suir :confused:

Seems extremely unlikely as temperatures are way too high. Had it been an extremely heavy shower with some wet flakes mixed in due to the downdraft pulling down colder air from aloft, then I might just about believe it but as you say that it was very light, then I would be suspicious and would assume it was something else you saw, especially as Carrick-On-Suir in more or less at sea level and in the south of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

It was probably soft hail,often mistaken for sleet and common in heavy showers in a flow like this

In other news Clara ,the lovely German lady was on newstalk earlier saying met eireann will probably have to issue warnings for snow tomorrow into Friday
    They are on board with the northern edge of the front falling as snow in places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

You're probably right so.
    It wasn't me that "saw" it, it was one of the women I work with, she was probably mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yes Depending on low track, backedge snow as colder air digs in but precip waning as it pulls away so could be very little but hey it's possible snow for some,bring it on.
    nmmuk-1-39-0_kso9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Dew points are nice and low. Could be a few snow showers later.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Dew points are nice and low. Could be a few snow showers later.
    Hmm Dew Point is 4.2c here in Tullow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Temp is 6.5c and 1c DP here...

Villain wrote: »
    Hmm Dew Point is 4.2c here in Tullow

No snow for you so lol ;)

• Advertisement

There is a real threat of snowfall on the northern flank of this system and I suspect a big surprise for many on tomorrow night. Synoptically it's a classic snow situation for us.

For the east coast the LP does not develop enough rotation in it's center by tomorrow night so winds remain off shore (as has astutely already been mentioned). Big bonus. The 12z runs in around an hour should firm up more on the detail at this stage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

5.8c with a DP of 2.3c here (in south Dublin).

Constantly changing. It's ment to be in real time.
    Anyone no were I can pic up a cheap and cheerful weather station for the back garden

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

How does us good folk in north meath fair for some of this, we seem to do ok for any snow that appears up north

Same again on the 12z GFS with rain turning to snow from the north before clearing on Friday morning.

1 am Friday precipitation

36-574UK.GIF?10-12

To 1 am temperatures

36-580UK.GIF?10-12

To 4 am preciption

39-574UK.GIF?10-12

Temperatures

39-580UK.GIF?10-12

Dew points

39-101UK.GIF?10-12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The 12z GFS is still playing ball...

14121206_1006.gif

Very slight downgrade, in my eyes. Not much but very slight with a slight decrease in total precip. Still looking good for the middle bit of the country for a decent covering. Very interesting times again and by tomorrow evening, there'll be a lot of F5 button pressing going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Looks quite good for eastern areas as well up to around the Dublin area...time will tell though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

highdef wrote: »
    Very interesting times again and by tomorrow evening, there'll be a lot of F5 button pressing going on!

Don't forget about all the lamp post watching too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In laymans terms, are we going to get snow in Sligo Town during the next 48 hours.

:D

Quite stormy here at the mo, pretty cold all day, lots of showers, with the occasional hail stone.

:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement