Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,427 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Marvel Announces New Spider-Man Animated Series For Disney Junior Amid Rift With Sony Over Film Franchise
    During Marvel Animation & Family Entertainment panel at Disney’s D23 Expo on Friday evening, the company announced a new original preschool animated series for Disney Junior, Marvel’s Spidey and His Amazing Friends. Set to debut in 2021, it marks the first full-length Marvel series for Disney Junior.

The news comes at the end of a tumultuous week for the Spider-Man live-action movie franchise. As Deadline first reported, a standoff between Sony and Marvel/Disney has led to Marvel chief Kevin Feige exiting the Sony’s Spider-Man franchise and a looming exit of Spider-Man from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

“Preschool kids already love Spidey, so they’ll be delighted to have Peter Parker thwipping across their screens in this new series” Cort Lane, SVP, Marvel Animation & Family Entertainment, said in the announcement of the new series.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/marvels-spidey-and-his-amazing-friends-marvel-preschool-spider-man-animated-series-disney-junior-sony-rift-feature-franchise-1202703333/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Damm I thought when GoT's ended we would see the back of all those wooden actors.

I'm a big fan of GoT and delighted tbh. I can understand why people think Kit is wooden given in the final season he was given roughly 3 lines on repeat, but season 5 and 6 are his finest work.

I think that I'm done, I have fvck all interest in any of these shows

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Emily VanCamp will return as Agent 13 in the The Falcon and The Winter Soldier series.

Wyatt Russell joins the cast of The Falcon and The Winter Soldier as the Villain
    Super Patriot

Kat Denning will return as Darcy in WandaVision.

Randal Park's Jimmy Woo AOS from Ant-man and the Wasp will return in WandaVision.

Kathryn Hahn joins the cast of WandaVision.

Not the Hahn again! They ruinded defenders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Supposedly the deal Disney want with Sony is to make their Spider-Verse a part of the MCU.

I’ve only seen Venom once. Was there anything in the movie that stated Venom was that world’s first superpowers being?

I’m pretty sure that after watching it I thought it could easily be a part of the MCU.

• Advertisement

The recent Spider-Man business has annoyed me and even though there are few heads saying positive things it has still overshadowed the likes of the Ob-Wan Kenobi series and I haven’t look at tree details of that or other announcements.

I’m not going around in a depression or anything but I’m reacting in the same way as if being annoyed by somebody who is just being thick. I’m not dealing with those two sisters/studios/etc until they learn to get along :p

Emily VanCamp will return as Agent 13 in the The Falcon and The Winter Soldier series.

Wyatt Russell joins the cast of The Falcon and The Winter Soldier as the Villain
    Super Patriot

Kat Denning will return as Darcy in WandaVision.

Randal Park's Jimmy Woo AOS from Ant-man and the Wasp will return in WandaVision.

Kathryn Hahn joins the cast of WandaVision.

Isn’t Jimmy Woo with the FBI ?

S.H.I.E.L.D. is no longer exists in the movies and you would know this if you were the real Phil Coulson!!!

SKRULL !!!! SKRULL !!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think that I'm done, I have fvck all interest in any of these shows

Same, though the fact they're mostly on Disney+ is going to make them easy to ignore...

Though Moon Knight could be interesting admittedly

• Registered Users Posts: 60,427 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Isn’t Jimmy Woo with the FBI ?

S.H.I.E.L.D. is no longer exists in the movies and you would know this if you were the real Phil Coulson!!!

SKRULL !!!! SKRULL !!!!

You are right in the film he was FBI in the comics he was AOS.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Same, though the fact they're mostly on Disney+ is going to make them easy to ignore...

Though Moon Knight could be interesting admittedly

If you need help ignoring them then maybe you have more interest than you want to admit. ;)

• Advertisement

You are right in the film he was FBI in the comics he was AOS.

Ah well, that can be considered multiverse confusion. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If you need help ignoring them then maybe you have more interest than you want to admit. ;)

I remain interested and follow the threads our of curiousity, and I've enjoyed most of what the MCU has offered; but that interest is not matched by the desire to actually watch anymore. Moon Knight could be interesting cos of the character.

I'm burned out. After Endgame, something inside me went 'click' and I have felt a bit done with this franchise since. The Disney-Fox merger has also severely coloured my enthusiasm for real-world OCP.

The MCU needs to start getting in some heroes that are not American and that do live or operate out of US.

Those Marvel have many international heroes?

No doubt there are people who would object but I’m sure there are a few US characters whose nationality can be altered.

I remain interested and follow the threads our of curiousity, and I've enjoyed most of what the MCU has offered; but that interest is not matched by the desire to actually watch anymore. Moon Knight could be interesting cos of the character.

I'm burned out. After Endgame, something inside me went 'click' and I have felt a bit done with this franchise since. The Disney-Fox merger has also severely coloured my enthusiasm for real-world OCP.

My comment was not intended as a “if you are not interested then why are posting here” type thing. Honestly that never occurred to me. It was a “sure go on you know you love it”.

Nothing wrong with needing a break, getting burned out or feeling like Endgame is the last chapter for you.

What is OCP?

My comment was not intended as a “if you are not interested then why are posting here” type thing. Honestly that never occurred to me. It was a “sure go on you know you love it”.

Nothing wrong with needing a break, getting burned out or feeling like Endgame is the last chapter for you.

What is OCP?

The giant megacorp from RoboCop ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoboCop_(franchise)#Omni_Consumer_Products

I should have got that reference :p

Why does it bother you though? There doesn’t seem to be any indication that Fox is going to be any different making movies.

I’m glad A New Hope belongs to Lucasfilm and that Marvel have more characters to play with - I’m not a big fan X-Men (don’t dislike, just never cared) but maybe under Feige they’ll use them in a way that makes me care.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There doesn’t seem to be any indication that Fox is going to be any different making movies.

Sadly and inevitably there is.

https://variety.com/2019/film/features/fox-disney-earnings-dark-phoenix-stuber-racing-in-the-rain-1203300260/
    Looking for quick fixes, Disney has subsequently shuttered much of Fox film’s development slate, intends to shrink its theatrical output and has ordered reboots of beloved Fox library titles for its direct-to-consumer platform, Disney Plus.
    The scathing takedown of Nazism may, however, prove a little too edgy for Disney brass accustomed to producing movies suitable for parents and kids. Searchlight has started to screen the film for its new parent company. Halfway through one recent viewing one executive grew audibly uncomfortable, worrying aloud that the material would alienate Disney fans. His unease may have been over the film’s cutting-edge satire, but it was also an expression of the culture clash taking place as the two studios embark on their new union.

The best thing that could possibly happen to mainstream cinema at the moment is Disney being knocked down a few (many) pegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I’ve only seen Venom once. Was there anything in the movie that stated Venom was that world’s first superpowers being?

I’m pretty sure that after watching it I thought it could easily be a part of the MCU.

I think i remeber Eddie either scoffed or was shocked at the thought of a space ship or alien coming to earth, which if in MCU he would be aware of alien life due to battle of New York. But hey if Ed Norton and terrence howard becomes Mark Ruffalo and don Cheadle, im sure i cam over look that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,879 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Endgame/Far From Home is a perfect jumping off point I think, especially with so many planned series. Will probably still check them out.

Now, who could be the female equivalent of Lou Ferrigno? :)

Sadly and inevitably there is.

https://variety.com/2019/film/features/fox-disney-earnings-dark-phoenix-stuber-racing-in-the-rain-1203300260/

The best thing that could possibly happen to mainstream cinema at the moment is Disney being knocked down a few (many) pegs.

Well I’m obviously a couple of weeks behind in my reading so but that trouble at Fox was clearly going to happen regardless of who owned the company and it was going to get changed if some nature because of those problems.

I can’t comment on the Renoir’s as I haven’t seen anything about that.

JoJo Rabbit was never going to suit Disney so there should be no surprise here. Trying to re-edit it or send it fir reshoots because it while still be about Nazis. They can just risk it and release it it or sell it.

What exactly is wrong with mainstream cinema? There is great, good and bad movies - always has been, always will be. There is plenty to enjoy and people can just ignore what they don’t like.

I like that Star Wars is under one roof and Marvel have more of their characters. Things might change behind the scenes at Fox but I can’t see any of their behind the scenes changes affecting what I watch.

• Advertisement

Sirsok wrote: »
    I think i remeber Eddie either scoffed or was shocked at the thought of a space ship or alien coming to earth, which if in MCU he would be aware of alien life due to battle of New York. But hey if Ed Norton and terrence howard becomes Mark Ruffalo and don Cheadle, im sure i cam over look that

That isn’t too much of a problem - there are a couple of inconsistencies between the early MCU and later I think. I’m fairly sure S.H.I.E.L.D. was not around for that long prior to Stark becoming Iron Man - they hadn't even settle on the name but later all that changed.

The only actual problem I can think of is how to explain why the creatures look like Spider-Man.

I assumed Venom does because he attached himself to Parker first while he is still masked during Secret Wars but I’ve never looked into Carnage or they others.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Endgame/Far From Home is a perfect jumping off point I think, especially with so many planned series. Will probably still check them out.

Now, who could be the female equivalent of Lou Ferrigno? :)

I don’t know why anyone wants to disembark at all though. :)

Isnt She-Hulk about 7 foot tall and permanent hulked out?

She doesn’t have to be that tall but wouldn’t she have to be mo-cap like Hulk is for the films. Are they going to change her origin story? As I recall she gets a blood transfusion from Banner in his human form which already came with risks but post-Endgame the characters can’t be surprised she’ll be altered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What exactly is wrong with mainstream cinema?

Plenty! The fact that many films are primarily aimed at teenagers at the expense of adults; the substantial budgets being increasingly reserved for sequels, reboots and franchises over original productions; smaller and more varied films (not even just arthouse fare) being pushed out of mainstream cinemas in favour of saturation screening of big ol' blockbusters; many even established filmmakers being forced towards television or Netflix due to the lack of funding available for traditional theatrical releases...

It's not all doom and gloom - there'll always be some good films coming out of the mainstream, even if they're reasonably rare beasts (we shouldn't have to rely on Christopher Nolan almost alone). And personally cinema is healthy enough that there still is plenty available for those unhappy with the multiplex fare (assuming you're in the right geographical area). But it's, I hope, not at all controversial to suggest we're hardly in a golden age of mainstream cinema.
    I like that Star Wars is under one roof and Marvel have more of their characters.

An increasingly vast majority of the most successful 'intellectual property' (for lack of a better phrase) being in the hands of one corporation is most decidedly not a good thing. Disney have a track record of being middle-of-the-road, being blandly family friendly, firing directors and just generally shaping their output to be as safe and commercial as possible. To have the ideology and executives of one mega-corporation shaping so much of what dominates cinemas should set off significant alarm bells, and their output in recent years - primarily lazy nostalgia baiting combined with saturation of a handful of series - justifies said alarms. Do they still produce really good films from time to time? Sure, but it's so occasional as to be almost the exception to the rule.

Nobody's doubting that people will get a kick out of Deadpool showing up alongside Thor at some stage. Personally, the clear and toxic influence of Disney hegemony overrules such things in no uncertain term!

Any know the details ownership of the Hulk?

Do Universal have a hold on it for all eternity?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Any know the details ownership of the Hulk?

Do Universal have a hold on it for all eternity?

AFAIK Universal own the rights for solo Hulk films which is why they distributed TIH but Marvel haven't done one since. Dunno what the situation is with She Hulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

An increasingly vast majority of the most successful 'intellectual property' (for lack of a better phrase) being in the hands of one corporation is most decidedly not a good thing. Disney have a track record of being middle-of-the-road, being blandly family friendly, firing directors and just generally shaping their output to be as safe and commercial as possible. To have the ideology and executives of one mega-corporation shaping so much of what dominates cinemas should set off significant alarm bells, and their output in recent years - primarily lazy nostalgia baiting combined with saturation of a handful of series - justifies said alarms. Do they still produce really good films from time to time? Sure, but it's so occasional as to be almost the exception to the rule.

Nobody's doubting that people will get a kick out of Deadpool showing up alongside Thor at some stage. Personally, the clear and toxic influence of Disney hegemony overrules such things in no uncertain term!

For all the understandable concern about wider movies produced by Fox, barring a very few exceptions, Star Wars and Marvel in the hands of anyone is going to be fairly family friendly so it is a bit unfair to blame Disney for it, it is what the IP and it is boarderline selfish to expect that it should be directed to the adult market.

I'm surprised some posters don't get tired repeating the same stuff over and over again in these threads, likebeing burned out or complaining that MCU movies having the same look and feel. Its like repeatedly posting in a soccer thread that you've become bored of soccer or that soccer isn't as interesting to you as rugby.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    For all the understandable concern about wider movies produced by Fox, barring a very few exceptions, Star Wars and Marvel in the hands of anyone is going to be fairly family friendly so it is a bit unfair to blame Disney for it, it is what the IP and it is boarderline selfish to expect that it should be directed to the adult market.

I'm surprised some posters don't get tired repeating the same stuff over and over again in these threads, likebeing burned out or complaining that MCU movies having the same look and feel. Its like repeatedly posting in a soccer thread that you've become bored of soccer or that soccer isn't as interesting to you as rugby.

That doesn't track and is a little unfair IMO: it is possible to love something, yet to have too much of a good thing. I'm not moaning for the sake of it;. 20 years ago the idea of an authentic comics world would have seemed like a wonderful folly, yet here we are. Back then any comics movie was a treat (well, maybe not Daredevil or Catwoman lol).

My pallette now feels just a little over saturated, that no matter where I turn there's just the MCU. I love a good steak but couldn't eat it every night :) and if I go on, it's mostly because I WANT to fall in love with the prospect of a new MCU film, something to make me go "yay".

FunLover18 wrote: »
    AFAIK Universal own the rights for solo Hulk films which is why they distributed TIH but Marvel haven't done one since. Dunno what the situation is with She Hulk.

Yes I know they have a hold of Banner and the villains but I meant how long does distribution last.

We can assume She Hulk is separate - if Universal wouldn’t play ball with Hulk himself there wouldn’t be a She Hulk series coming

Foxtrol wrote: »

I was not aware that there a section of the audience that wants the MCU to be more “adult”.

And clearly the vast majority of the audience do not find Marvel or Disney animation to be “middle of the road”

• Advertisement

That doesn't track and is a little unfair IMO: it is possible to love something, yet to have too much of a good thing. I'm not moaning for the sake of it;. 20 years ago the idea of an authentic comics world would have seemed like a wonderful folly, yet here we are. Back then any comics movie was a treat (well, maybe not Daredevil or Catwoman lol).

My pallette now feels just a little over saturated, that no matter where I turn there's just the MCU. I love a good steak but couldn't eat it every night :) and if I go on, it's mostly because I WANT to fall in love with the prospect of a new MCU film, something to make me go "yay".

There is most certainly a crowd who bitch and moan about “over saturation” just for the sake of it, and this is common on the internet.

There is nothing wrong with someone like yourself feeling full and wanting something else.

Advertisement