Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

When is Endgame out to rent digitally?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Disney Channel Greenlights ‘Marvel’s Moon Girl And Devil Dinosaur’, Animated Series From Exec Producer Laurence Fishburne

https://deadline.com/2019/08/disney-channel-marvels-moon-girl-and-devil-dinosaur-animated-series-comic-books-laurence-fishburne-1202702831/
    Disney Channel has ordered Marvel’s Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, an original animated series based on Marvel’s comic book series, from Disney Television Animation. Laurence Fishburne and Helen Sugland’s Cinema Gypsy Productions (ABC’s Black-ish), Marvel Animation & Family Entertainment, and Emmy winner Steve Loter (Disney’s Kim Possible) will executive produce.

The series follows the adventures of 13-year-old super-genius Lunella Lafayette and her ten-ton T-Rex, Devil Dinosaur. After Lunella accidentally brings Devil Dinosaur into present-day New York City via a time vortex, the duo works together to protect the city’s Lower East Side from danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And still no Squirrel Girl!? They have New Warriors ready to go but doing nothing with it, even though they have their own platform now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

pixelburp wrote: »
    That doesn't track and is a little unfair IMO: it is possible to love something, yet to have too much of a good thing. I'm not moaning for the sake of it;. 20 years ago the idea of an authentic comics world would have seemed like a wonderful folly, yet here we are. Back then any comics movie was a treat (well, maybe not Daredevil or Catwoman lol).

My pallette now feels just a little over saturated, that no matter where I turn there's just the MCU. I love a good steak but couldn't eat it every night :) and if I go on, it's mostly because I WANT to fall in love with the prospect of a new MCU film, something to make me go "yay".

I really feel for you and I'm thankful that I haven't gotten to that point yet with MCU, though I have with DC and all the current superhero TV shows. I'll still push through the final series of AoS and I'm interesting in the Disney+ content.

I just don't really know how to approach the seemingly repetitive posts in threads on the topic. Maybe I'm just combining posters but to use your steak example, it is like people posting in every thread about a new steak restaurant opening that they're sick of eating steak so aren't looking forward to it. It is unfortunate but it is more to do with the person than the steak restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And still no Squirrel Girl!? They have New Warriors ready to go but doing nothing with it, even though they have their own platform now.

I keep forgetting about this.

By “ready to go” do you mean ready for production or had it been shot already?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Googling tells me the pilot was done and tested well but then the whole thing was shelved while looking for a new home for it

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/11/01/marvel-new-warriors-tv-film-status/

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/cj0w6c/what_ever_happened_to_marvels_new_warriors/

The Squirrel Girl actress has even voiced her for the Marvel Rising animation

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sorry if already posted but Barry Keoghan cast as Druig in the Eternals. I hope this doesn't mean Y: The Last Man is in trouble. I know they lost director or showrunner but I'm mad to see Barry play the main part.

https://twitter.com/BarryKeoghan/status/1165376090434494464?s=19

Both Feige (who would know) and Holland seem to be saying Spider-Man is done in the MCU. No hint that talks are ongoing. And we never got more solo Hulk movies.

To all those people who bitch and moan about one studio having a monoply - look what happens when they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can see Disney holding off on the X-Men or FF joining up till Sony announce the release date of the next Spider Man and then putting the X Men or FF or maybe an Avengers up against it at the box office.

I can just see Disney putting a big release up against to try and kill it's box office.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Both Feige (who would know) and Holland seem to be saying Spider-Man is done in the MCU. No hint that talks are ongoing. And we never got more solo Hulk movies.

To all those people who bitch and moan about one studio having a monoply - look what happens when they don't.

So Homecoming and Far From Home serve absolutely no purpose now given the story, characters etc can't be referenced. It's just another failed reboot (even though it was highly successful!)

What a waste.

But money talks at the end of the day.

Sony will do what they do best...fcuk it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Well apparently, and much to my surprise, John Campea has claimed not one Spidey film has made less than 700m. If that's true, technically Sony have only had success with the character.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well apparently, and much to my surprise, John Campea has claimed not one Spidey film has made less than 700m. If that's true, technically Sony have only had success with the character.

The second Garfield one just scrapes it by 9m (worldwide). Into the Spiderverse didn't gross over 700m though apparently so he must not be counting that.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=spiderman.htm

So Homecoming and Far From Home serve absolutely no purpose now given the story, characters etc can't be referenced. It's just another failed reboot (even though it was highly successful!)

What a waste.

But money talks at the end of the day.

Sony will do what they do best...fcuk it up.

The response from both those in the MCU and from fans seem to be against Sony and I going to remain hopeful that Holland and Feige's comments were made to keep everything calm while the studios try to work it out.

James Gunn was out of the movies for a year (although no doubt Iger had reached out much sooner than that) so maybe they can work this out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I really feel for you and I'm thankful that I haven't gotten to that point yet with MCU, though I have with DC and all the current superhero TV shows. I'll still push through the final series of AoS and I'm interesting in the Disney+ content.

I just don't really know how to approach the seemingly repetitive posts in threads on the topic. Maybe I'm just combining posters but to use your steak example, it is like people posting in every thread about a new steak restaurant opening that they're sick of eating steak so aren't looking forward to it. It is unfortunate but it is more to do with the person than the steak restaurant.

Wasn't really seeking your pity, but I don't agree about your reading of the analogy; the MCU isn't a new restaurant opening each time, more that it's the same combination of steak and... ... I dunno, ketchup every time with the occasional change in vegetables (blergh, this is why I hate analogies, they eventually fall apart the more you dig :D).

The menu never changes so TWENTY movies in, my appetite & pallette is shot to hell. I'd love to see Marvel change the menu a little, shake things up even just a smidge. I don't even believe it'd harm the box office either, because the brand now has trust.

In fact... to scrub the analogy, look at Marvel Comics itself: the thing that keeps most of the comics fresh is the fact that different artists and writers constantly bring new ideas, or just new aesthetics to various characters' runs. Sometime in the case of Kamela Khan or Harley Quinn, new characters.

Now that has disadvantages, because writers demanding their own 'spin' have ensured some characters have unbelievably complex canon (see Hawkgirl for example), but there's always a new interpretation, always a new artist bringing fresh perspectives. I'm sure that'll eventually happen in the MCU - if it lasts that long - but that franchise has already overtaken other, older franchises. Heck it's about to overtake James Bond.

My greatest excitement with Comics movies is actually the Joker one, precisely because it's something bizarre and potentially fascinating. We've had 3 versions of Movie Joker so far in cinema (4 if you count Caeser Romero I guess??), and in a wild experiment we're about to get something really left of field.

I was also looking forward to The New Mutants, because the idea of a horror Superhero movie (that wasn't "what if Superman was evil?") was equally fascinating. But that's now scuttled thanks to Fox / Marvel so who knows if that'll ever see the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I can see Disney holding off on the X-Men or FF joining up till Sony announce the release date of the next Spider Man and then putting the X Men or FF or maybe an Avengers up against it at the box office.

I can just see Disney putting a big release up against to try and kill it's box office.

Only so much moving Disney can do before they start interfering with their own films.

Unless it's avenger I'd say Disney would risk more damage to themselves if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Wasn't really seeking your pity, but I don't agree about your reading of the analogy; the MCU isn't a new restaurant opening each time, more that it's the same combination of steak and... ... I dunno, ketchup every time with the occasional change in vegetables (blergh, this is why I hate analogies, they eventually fall apart the more you dig :D).

The menu never changes so TWENTY movies in, my appetite & pallette is shot to hell. I'd love to see Marvel change the menu a little, shake things up even just a smidge. I don't even believe it'd harm the box office either, because the brand now has trust.

In fact... to scrub the analogy, look at Marvel Comics itself: the thing that keeps most of the comics fresh is the fact that different artists and writers constantly bring new ideas, or just new aesthetics to various characters' runs. Sometime in the case of Kamela Khan or Harley Quinn, new characters.

Now that has disadvantages, because writers demanding their own 'spin' have ensured some characters have unbelievably complex canon (see Hawkgirl for example), but there's always a new interpretation, always a new artist bringing fresh perspectives. I'm sure that'll eventually happen in the MCU - if it lasts that long - but that franchise has already overtaken other, older franchises. Heck it's about to overtake James Bond.

My greatest excitement with Comics movies is actually the Joker one, precisely because it's something bizarre and potentially fascinating. We've had 3 versions of Movie Joker so far in cinema (4 if you count Caeser Romero I guess??), and in a wild experiment we're about to get something really left of field.

I was also looking forward to The New Mutants, because the idea of a horror Superhero movie (that wasn't "what if Superman was evil?") was equally fascinating. But that's now scuttled thanks to Fox / Marvel so who knows if that'll ever see the light of day.

If you're sick of the plates the restaurant is serving, while they have record numbers wanting to dine there, then give yourself a break. The point I raised was what value is added here by posters repeatedly bringing up that point in multiple threads each time news comes out about a new MCU movie/show, espcially when they have no idea at this point if it will be different from previous?

For someone who doesn't like analogys you're throwing out a few ;) To take your latest one, what you're asking for is to bring in new artists, new writers, or new takes mid-run.

I'm also interested by the Joker movie but I personally get a much larger pay-off from watching characters grow over multiple movies/shows and interacting with others than I do from a likely standalone. I understand the standalone format is the likely route they're taking for Joker but I'm not going to repeatedly post in that thread how I'm not going to like it as much because it doesn't fit into the wider DCEU. That movie is what it is just like MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I wonder is there anything to stop Marvel getting Tom Holland back to play a character called Peter, even just in one scene to explain Spider-Man's absence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I wonder is there anything to stop Marvel getting Tom Holland back to play a character called Peter, even just in one scene to explain Spider-Man's absence.

“Spider-Man died on the way to his home planet” inter-title ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2:58

What did he call him?
    Barry Key-Yoo-Gee-In? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

FunLover18 wrote: »

part of me thought that, considering how Far from home ended, is that he could be given a new identity, but still, if he's not doing spider-things, is there any point to having him at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,817 ✭✭✭nerd69

part of me thought that, considering how Far from home ended, is that he could be given a new identity, but still, if he's not doing spider-things, is there any point to having him at all?

Deter harker - the night monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

wandavison-poster-907x680.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wonder are they taking cues from the limited 'Vision' series of recent years, where Vision tries to live (and literally create) the perfect 'nuclear' American life - with disastrous consequences. Would make for an interesting story to adapt.

This is going to be a prequel, right, and prior to the events of Infinity War?

I don't think so. I'd guess this is more after endgame.. when it dawns that Vision isn't coming back.

Subtitle: You're reality re-write is in progress.. please hold while one of our most powerful team-members processes your request

I'm guessing she'll create a little Universe for herself and her recreation of Vision or maybe set aside some of the current MCU. That some parts of the other reality will start interfering.. and who knows what's gonna happen.

Hmmm that begs an interesting question: if your theory holds, I wonder would Disney-Marvel be ballsy enough to make a change to the universe from one of its TV shows?

You always got the sense that the Netflix shows & Agents of SHIELD were held back by their inability to actually interact with the broader MCU world. Now that these Disney+ shows will be set within the MCU universe itself, will they be allowed to cause events that cascade back INTO the film 'universe'?

I'm currently wondering if these 6 episode tv shows aren't just 2-parter movies in disguise!

but to change the Cinema-going universe from a limited access streaming service doesn't seem like the sensible approach the MCU has taken to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Hmmm that begs an interesting question: if your theory holds, I wonder would Disney-Marvel be ballsy enough to make a change to the universe from one of its TV shows?

You always got the sense that the Netflix shows & Agents of SHIELD were held back by their inability to actually interact with the broader MCU world. Now that these Disney+ shows will be set within the MCU universe itself, will they be allowed to cause events that cascade back INTO the film 'universe'?

Oh I think they definitely will.
    I’m almost certain of it.
    Sure hasn’t it been mentioned that the events of WandaVision will set up the doctor strange sequel?

Disney+ will be proper connected in the way that none of the jeph loeb produced shows were.

Advertisement