Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Gemma Chan and Barry Keoghan in talks to join The Eternals

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say every actor in the world wants in on the Marvel cash cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Gemma Chan and Barry Keoghan in talks to join The Eternals

Doubling up again, Gemma Chan was in Captain Marvel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Guessing that excludes team up films? Seems to be more standalone films.

• Advertisement

Spider Man is done with the MCU now and goes back to Sony to make there own Universe films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Great, the less intellectual property in Disney’s hands these days the better! Not that Sony (or Spider-Man) is an underdog of any description, but **** the dominance of Disney and the aggressively bland mainstream cinema environment it has led to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This is devastating. We won’t get a natural conclusion to the cliffhanger from Far from Home :(

Sony the greedy bastards. Which means once again we are looking at another fecking Spider-Man reboot :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So, wait, from now on Spider-Man is just going to be forgotten about in the MCU?

Far From Home practically fell over itself trying to position Peter Parker as the new Tony Stark. I guess he's going to be permanently "on a mission" from now on? Or will Happy Hogan just shrug his shoulders and go "Peter who?", make it the bitter action after being dumped by Aunt May?

I said in the main films thread, the stink of compulsive greed off this is palpable; a billion dollars in the box office and neither party can agree.

Multiverse gets rid of him/

MCU contines in a different verse where vampires and Mutants exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,300 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

So am I right in saying when Sony had Spiderman, they made a balls of two movies, it goes to MCU which make 2 cracking movies, and it then goes back to Sony? That about right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I still wouldn't rule this out being resolved, there's technically enough time to manage it. It's disappointing if it doesn't get resolved.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

everlast75 wrote: »
    So am I right in saying when Sony had Spiderman, they made a balls of two movies, it goes to MCU which make 2 cracking movies, and it then goes back to Sony? That about right?

Spot on.

batgoat wrote: »
    I still wouldn't rule this out being resolved, there's technically enough time to manage it. It's disappointing if it doesn't get resolved.

Here’s hoping!

Feige could indeed be calling Sony's bluff and wanted what will be a backlash from fans to hit Sony.

Far from Home is Sony's biggest ever film so they probably think now that they can pull those kind of numbers without Marvel, Feige and the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

This will definitely get sorted sony stand to lose way too much here

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Amy Pascal trying to get Venom into MCU :) I think it's a ****show but it's actually a good time to split. Crossover with Venom, bring in sinister 6 and they have enough to make a decent franchise. Has to feel awkward for Tom Holland.

Disney are only getting 5% of the box office on the Spider Man films they wanted to get a proper partnership going forward with a 50/50 split Sony refused and Disney didn't put in a counter offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm sure they said Homecoming would be the only tie-in. The next one wouldn't have done as well as Far From Home anyway, since it was basically an epilogue to Endgame.
    At least now, maybe they can have him get involved in his own villains' movies.
    Just have to see how badly the relationship ended. Will they not be able to use the latest suit? Will this mean another reboot?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just put the Spiderverse people in charge of the whole MCU TBH.

I am joking and serious simultaneously.

• Advertisement

Do Sony have the Miles Morales rights?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just put the Spiderverse people in charge of the whole MCU TBH.

I am joking and serious simultaneously.

Spider Verse was the film that broke the MCU for me; the final piece of lingering dissatisfaction of how lowball, and just plain lazy the franchise has played with its toychest. Far From Home was an obligation, while SpiderVerse a genuine joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

My feelings summed up below , Spider-Verse was an easy one for them to do because it was animated and no one (probably including sony) had any pressure for it to do well much like Fox with the 1st deadpool , Nah they'll ruin this aswell, Just wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Going by the site that broke the story (Deadline) i'm not surprised Sony turned Disney down. Apparently Disney wanted a 50/50 split, despite the fact that Sony owns the property rights and has had 2 successful Spiderman media properties on their own in the last few years (They just bought the video game studio that made the Spiderman game). Disney are trying to get Sony to take the PR hammering for this which is smart but ultimately it's their own fault for being too greedy.

Spider-Verse was an easy one for them to do because it was animated and no one (probably including sony) had any pressure for it to do well

I mean, I’m pretty sure Sony didn’t fund the thing out of the goodness of their hearts :pac:

Personally I think it’s quite hard to understate just what a remarkable oddity Spider-Verse is. It not only displays a sense of style and imagination leagues ahead of what’s happening in the MCU and its ilk, it is also a thrilling exception among American mainstream animation in general. While animation should theoretically (and practically, as is the case outside of mainstream American efforts) offer a bunch of opportunities for artists to indulge their creativity, the reality is almost all studio animation - Pixar included - conforms to a pretty standard and familiar aesthetic with minor variations. To see something as fresh and vibrant as Spider-Verse - more akin to the psychedelic hyper-stylisation of Masaaki Yuasa - is truly a rarity.

It’s still a very commercial effort and narratively nowhere near as radical as it is stylistically. But it struts in and comprehensively shames the live action output of Marvel Studios. If anything it’s Marvel who should feel no pressure: as they’re now basically guaranteed circa billion dollar hits they should be more comfortable experimenting. Alas not: almost all the films so far still conform to that same old bland televisual house style, and even the more distinctive ones pale in comparison to the animated superhero film that could. Even allowing for the different mediums of live action and animation, Spider-Verse raised the bar substantially. Maybe now as Marvel delve into more obscure properties there’ll be more risk-taking. The story so far offers little cause for optimism, outside of them hopefully fully letting Waititi off the leash.

Could the Spiderverse folk **** up the sequel? Sure: Sony has a patchy track record to put it mildly. But still give me another one over phase whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The MCU Spider man died on his way back to his home planet

This is really a bummer and could **** up the MCU timeline. He was such a big part since he came in. Hopefully its resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Loughc wrote: »
    This is devastating. We won’t get a natural conclusion to the cliffhanger from Far from Home :(

Sure we will...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Going by the site that broke the story (Deadline) i'm not surprised Sony turned Disney down. Apparently Disney wanted a 50/50 split, despite the fact that Sony owns the property rights and has had 2 successful Spiderman media properties on their own in the last few years (They just bought the video game studio that made the Spiderman game). Disney are trying to get Sony to take the PR hammering for this which is smart but ultimately it's their own fault for being too greedy.

Having taken only 5% of the last 2 Spiderman movies I don't think it is outrageous for them to ask to come towards parity now. Even if you ignore the advice and guidance producing, they heavily used the MCU movies to connect this iteration of Spiderman to fans and mend the damage they previously caused to the character, while even allowing Sony to heavily use MCU owned characters (Stark, Happy, Fury) .

Someone posted earlier that it'll be hard for future MCU movies to ignore what happened to Spiderman but it is a far bigger issue for Sony to deal with. MCU slate for Phase 4 has no likely character interaction with Spiderman and with Phase 5 likely to include GotG3, BP2, CM 2, Blade, and F4/Mutants they probably won't be a clear need for a 'where's Spiderman' during those either. For Sony, they'll likely want to release a Spiderman movie in 2 years and they'll need to deal with Spiderman not being able to mention Stark, Fury, Avengers, Happy...

It is such a mess that I see it getting sorted out, especially with the current fan uproar about it that I don't see going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm kind of surprised and not surprised.

Surprised in the sense that Marvel went all out in Far from Home to knight Peter as Tony's successor.

Not surprised because well, Amy Pascal can't help herself.

I'm actually a bit taken aback that Feige was OK with the direction Far From Home took Peter while this was all up in the air. They've built Peter up so much that's going to leave some chasm in the MCU not easily replaced. I'm aware they have all the FF and X Men properties back, but they still can't fill the hole Peter will leave in the story they've established.

Madness all round. To be fair to Sony it does feel like Disney were trying to needlessly strong arm them by demanding a 50/50 split. Then again Sony have been leeching off the MCU brand for nearly 4 years while taking most of the profits. This is greed like I've never seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

Tom Holland should get all fat in protest

Advertisement