Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Heavy rain and strong winds Monday night -Wednesday night

• 28-11-2011 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Issued at 28 November 2011 - 14:32 Weather Alert Heavy rain tonight and Tuesday morning in the southwest, west and northwest with rainfall totals 40 to 50mm and higher amounts possible in mountainous areas.

Strong to gale force southerly winds will gust 80 to 100 km/h in exposed coastal areas tonight.

Valid from 21:00 Monday 28th November 2011 until 12:00 Tuesday 29th November 2011

Looks like a wet and windy one.
    Very heavy rain here and wind is picking up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

noticed in the last 10 minutes, the wind has picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Flood warnings issued by met.ie and uk met office for n and nw. Many roads already flooded round Donegal town. My garden is a lake and I have a new waterfall out the back. Monitoring levels closely. No end in site according to radar.

Edit. Source.
    http://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/11/28/breaking-news-flood-alert-as-donegal-pounded-by-heavy-rain/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Looking damp in the NW alright:

182977.png

Hourly fall of 7.3mm at Finner Camp on the 9pm reports:

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Edit: Wednesday evening's front may need watching as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Temp is 14c here, bit windy, no rain.

Yet :D

Though according to this http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ it should be starting right NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Busi Girl

Getting a lot winder in Limerick city aswell, typically raining here as always :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes! Yes! Yes!

The ground is damp(ish) :eek:!

It's gonna bit a Big One - I can tell :D

There is nothing I like more than spits and spots of rain and 14c and a bit of a breeze on a night at the very end of November.

You can keep your snow, this utter nothingness is what I live for! :pac::pac::pac:

(I need a drink)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

We had close to torrential rain here for about 20 minutes around 8pm, back to a more moderate rate again now but it doesn't look like there's any and in sight yet on the radar so there'll definitely be spot flooding about

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭castlepoint

wind picking up fast in cork.howling down the chimney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

sure il build the ark and someone else get two of every animal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Persistant and sometimes heavy rain in Castlebar since around 6pm.(Was pretty damp before that too!)

• Advertisement

O dear....it seems to have passed over leaving no trace. There is a bit of a large gap till the next wave according to http://www.raintoday.co.uk/.

:(

Gettin' windier though; average speed 10kph, gusting to 30 kph.

Latest NAE (18z) has the frontal zone wavering over the west & northwest until early morning:182990.png

Progression eastwards seems to be somewhat slower than on earlier runs, most likely due to small waves that are pulsing up along the front itself.

Hardly a puff of wind here in Galway so trough must be closing in.

10pm Reports:
    Valentia: 5.6mm
    Mace Head: 3.9mm
    Finner Camp: 3.8mm (bringing 2hr total to 11.1mm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

I wondered when a thread might appear..looks like heavy rain in Mayo and Galway ..These fronts will no doubt fizzle before they get to the East?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭naughto

its being raining very heavy all day here not so much wind

wind picking up fast in cork.howling down the chimney.

nice to listen to :D

4Sheets wrote: »
    I wondered when a thread might appear..looks like heavy rain in Mayo and Galway ..These fronts will no doubt fizzle before they get to the East?

The last one fizzled to nothingness but I think the main event over here will be several hours from now.

And I'm not just sayin' that 'cos Easterly said it :rolleyes:

4Sheets wrote: »

Even heavier over Sligo & Donegal but unfortunately these counties are not well represented by the Shannon & Dublin radars.

Fronts should slowly move eastwards overnight and into tomorrow with always chance of some heavier bursts.

EDIT: Latest radar from the UK Met Office: (10.30pm)
    182997.png

Front now seems to be stalling over west Galway, up through Mayo and Sligo and into Donegal. Possible small wave developing west or SW of Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Fairly bad here around Craughwell co Galway tonight :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

EDIT: Latest radar from the UK Met Office: (10.30pm)
    182997.png

Front now seems to be stalling over west Galway, up through Mayo and Sligo and into Donegal. Possible small wave developing west or SW of Clare.

I see there's a band of red extending up through Coleraine! That just has to be producing snow on the hills up behind the house! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,739 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"Ireland in wet and windy shocker".:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Su Campu wrote: »
    I see there's a band of red extending up through Coleraine! That just has to be producing snow on the hills up behind the house! :D

But think of the fun it would be to have to mod him Su :D

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Raining here in Galway city since around 3pm.Its been really bucketing down though in the last few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not much rain down here by comparison but the wind is certainly getting up and threatening to kick some doors in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Wind seems to have died down a bit here in sleepy hollow :eek: << yawn, still raining though. Was howling a while ago, didn't bother getting up to look out though, too snug :D Batten down the hatches all, may the wind be always at your back... etc etc oh and snow, lots and lots of snow... :p

Where did you get that radar DE? Is it publicly available?

Nothing too dramatic here now, really heavy as that red band moved over but its been light to moderate ever since

Latest reports: (11pm)

Mace Head: 10.3mm
    Claremorris: 9.1mm
    Knock Apt: 2.5mm
    Meanwhile, Belmullet reporting 'trace' !!

Harps, Hi res UK met radar here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/beta/weather/observations/

Includes latest sferic data too. (not that we need it or anything :mad:)

the wind is currently rattling my window. :D

Harps, Hi res UK met radar here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/beta/weather/observations/

Includes latest sferic data too. (not that we need it or anything :mad:)

Great stuff, never knew about that. Far better than the ME radar for Donegal and the colours are much easier to read than raintoday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A big difference between Knock and Claremorris even though there only a few miles apart.Should be some interesting totals by tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

But think of the fun it would be to have to mod him Su :D

I found him the other night on an aviation thread - oh the memories!!

Advertisement