Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Schools Cups 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 denurseeee

Alan Roland has refereed Leinster before. He also represented them 40 times.

I think you're over-reacting somewhat.

It's not an over re action,I just think it's very strange the Leinster Branch would let a coach of a team, ref the team they could be playing in the next round. How long was it when Rolland played for Leinster and then reffed one of their games? couple of years maybe, he had no involvement with them anymore so point isn't really relevant. Paul Haycock coaches Terenure now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

denurseeee wrote: »
    It's not an over re action,I just think it's very strange the Leinster Branch would let a coach of a team, ref the team they could be playing in the next round. How long was it when Rolland played for Leinster and then reffed one of their games? couple of years maybe, he had no involvement with them anymore so point isn't really relevant. Paul Haycock coaches Terenure now!!!

He is not a coach - he assists them from a refereeing / law prospective and helps them out now and then. It is hard enough for schools to get volunteers like this. Plus he is an IRFU referee, who refereed a game on live TV. He is hardly going to try and cheat and is hardly going to learn much more about Clongowes than the coaches watching.

Downtime wrote: »
    He is not a coach - he assists them from a refereeing / law prospective and helps them out now and then. It is hard enough for schools to get volunteers like this. Plus he is an IRFU referee, who refereed a game on live TV. He is hardly going to try and cheat and is hardly going to learn much more about Clongowes than the coaches watching.

If he just assists them on refereeing/ law prospectives then why was he holding pads in the warm up and had an ear piece on during the game while getting the subs ready,seems strange for someone who is just giving advice on refereeing. Also how would a Terenure coach sitting in the stands be able to hear all lineout calls,all set plays called and all plays off ruck ball,the only person who could hear that would be the opposition and oh wait the ref!!!But I'm sure he wasn't listening.

If he just assists them on refereeing/ law prospectives then why was he holding pads in the warm up and had an ear piece on during the game while getting the subs ready,seems strange for someone who is just giving advice on refereeing. Also how would a Terenure coach sitting in the stands be able to hear all lineout calls,all set plays called and all plays off ruck ball,the only person who could hear that would be the opposition and oh wait the ref!!!But I'm sure he wasn't listening.

Trust me the ref is not going to remember, or probably hear most of the calls in the game. I think you will also find that Terenure are not the only school with a referee in their coaching set up. I think if this matter is upsetting you, you should write to the Leinster Referees who make the appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Lads, nobody tell him Leo Cullen or Smidht was down with them or he will really lose the head.

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    Lads, nobody tell him Leo Cullen or Smidht was down with them or he will really lose the head.

i just think its naive of the Leinster Branch to make the appointment,ive no problem with the lad reffing,just on the other side of the draw, Alan Rogan was never allowed ref rock games due to his connection with the school,anyway its done now but could have been avoided!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Pres have just missed an easy penalty more or less in front of the posts about 30 yards out. 3 minutes gone

Another missed penalty by Press. But a bit harder, was on the Michaels ten metre line

15 mins gone, no score. But it is only a matter of time for Michaels....breaking the first tackle everytime the ball is let out to the backs

Try for Michaels. They got a penalty 5 metres out from the Pres line in the corner. They opted for the scrum, and put their 7 and 8 in the backline and put their 2 centres into the scrum. Unsurprisingly a crash move when the ball came out of the scrum, and 2 phases later they touched down. 7-0 after 25 minutes

• Advertisement

14-0 after 31 minutes. I can't see any way back for Pres

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

BDJW wrote: »
    14-0 after 31 minutes. I can't see any way back for Pres

-10 @ evens H/T bet working out nice!hoping for a pres rally in second though as unrealistic as it is

Half time...no change in the score

Alan Rogan was never allowed ref rock games due to his connection with the school,anyway its done now but could have been avoided!

Eh that's because he is a teacher there as was quite high up in the school. it's not as if Paul Haycock refereed Terenure. Alan Rogan refereed plenty of games where Rock could have ended up playing the winner of his game, as have other teachers who are referees.

21-0 42 minutes gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Gotta agree with denurseeee. Not acceptable that someone involved with another school on the same side of the draw reffing a game between potential competitors. I wouldn't be happy if I was one of the opposition players and knew the guy reffing my game where we make set-play calls is holding tackle backs for the team we could potentially be playing next. If he made a big call that affects the result in a big way, it's just going to lead to people saying he's a Terenure man and gave them the call for that. It should not be happening for the sake of avoiding controversy which it could inevitably bring.

28-0, 48 minutes gone

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

Pres bray are way out of their depth here.

28-7, 54 minutes gone. Michaels winger was tackled as he was about to kick ahead, he dropped the ball and it was picked up by the Pres winger who ran 60 metres unopposed

easy peasy wrote: »
    Pres bray are way out of their depth here.

Yeah they are a bit out of their depth here. Michaels don't even look like they have got out of first gear. Kilkenny will give Michaels more of a match in the semi final

• Advertisement

35-7, 59 minutes gone

42-7, 66 minutes gone

42-7 full time

Who was it that said Michaels would struggle against Pres Bray! I think today shows just how good roscrea were and that Michaels will be difficult to beat! With Kilkenny scraping past CUS I can't see Michaels not been in the final on the 18th!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Leinster5

Michaels strolled through the game today. Pres were useless and offered nothing. Michaels still were poor at converting their chances and some greedy play in their backs hurt them. Still don't see them standing much of a chance in the Final against Clongowes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Moore_sean

Who was it that said Michaels would struggle against Pres Bray! I think today shows just how good roscrea were and that Michaels will be difficult to beat! With Kilkenny scraping past CUS I can't see Michaels not been in the final on the 18th!

Very true. Although Gonzaga did play Roscrea away in the league and lost by 2 or 1. People said Gonzaga werent much of a team after their loss to Nure. I think the lower half of the draw has much weaker teams. Its safe to say that the Nure CWC match will be the final realistically.

Kilkenny are a much better team than Pres. They will give Michaels a much tougher match than they got today from Pres

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Michaels strolled through the game today. Pres were useless and offered nothing. Michaels still were poor at converting their chances and some greedy play in their backs hurt them. Still don't see them standing much of a chance in the Final against Clongowes.

Vintage Michaels. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

Obviously Bray were very poor, but I was impressed with Michael's. Neither semi is a foregone conclusion by any means (especially Terenure -Clongowes) but it will likely be a Michael's Clongowes final. They're not as disciplined as Clongowes and they make more errors, but I do think they can beat them if they get things right. They have strike runners all over the park and Byrne and Holland (who is a super player) control things nicely. Byrne is a brilliant kicker, also. O'Loughlin is still to come back into the fold and he's reputed to be one of the best backs in the competition. Clongowes' front row is a a good bit superior but I can't see them dominating Michael's in the scrum or elsewhere in the manner they've done with other teams.

• Advertisement

MoneyMilo wrote: »
    Obviously Bray were very poor, but I was impressed with Michael's. Neither semi is a foregone conclusion by any means (especially Terenure -Clongowes) but it will likely be a Michael's Clongowes final. They're not as disciplined as Clongowes and they make more errors, but I do think they can beat them if they get things right. They have strike runners all over the park and Byrne and Holland (who is a super player) control things nicely. Byrne is a brilliant kicker, also. O'Loughlin is still to come back into the fold and he's reputed to be one of the best backs in the competition. Clongowes' front row is a a good bit superior but I can't see them dominating Michael's in the scrum or elsewhere in the manner they've done with other teams.

Did u not see Jamie Lawless today?- flawless. He was throwin dumies left right and of course centre. Quality player. Got an excellant try. Think he could nick Brian Byrnes spot on the Ireland team next year.

Advertisement