Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Schools Cups 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Because I want to see can he back up his comment on this forum that Terenure are average and will struggle to get within 15 of Clongowes. If he is confident of his comment he would do the bet with a fellow forumite.

If he is confident and wants to back up his comment he should go to the bookies and back Clongowes at 5/6 at a lot less than minus 15.

Giving you 5/6 Nure with a 15 point start would be throwing his money away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Dev5976 wrote: »
    He has another year

Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

there seams to be a lot of good full backs in the competition this year , the zaga 15 is Irelands choice - he did nothing wrong , but was outplayed by the nure 15 - was it just one of those days ? - I also think nure have an excellent chance of winning cup, from what i saw yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    If he is confident and wants to back up his comment he should go to the bookies and back Clongowes at 5/6 at a lot less than minus 15.

Giving you 5/6 Nure with a 15 point start would be throwing his money away.

Exactly so a silly comment by him (that Terenure are average and will struggle to get within 15 of them), which was the point I was trying to make as well as hoping to make some money off him at great value.

As an ex Nure head I'd love to see them win the cup but I don't think the Nure pack will be able to live with the Clongowes eight. Nure have quality backs but they often go for the hollywood pass and the team can take a while to get going whereas Clongowes are much more cohesive and play a brand of total rugby. Clongowes are experienced and very confident. I think next year will be Terenure's time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I'm not buying this 15 point gap lark for the nure cwc match......I think it will be much closer. I've watched these nure lads closely and they are handy. If cwc start off like they did against knock with dire and sloppy passing with numerous missed tackles before they got into their rhythm nure will capitalize on this.

Nure maybe the underdogs but someone has to be but for me it even Stevens. At least we'll have some entertaining top rugby before the international massacre later.

(Ps...Wattle,as an ex cwc man i think nure will be a mighty challenge. If cwc stuff it up their jumper in the scrum, keep it tight they may prevail. Nure though imho have superior backs, a block busting centre.......their pros and cons for both sides, hence I reckon it'll be a cracker. Besta luck!)

(Ps...Wattle,as an ex cwc man i think nure will be a mighty challenge. If cwc stuff it up their jumper in the scrum, keep it tight they may prevail. Nure though imho have superior backs, a block busting centre.......their pros and cons for both sides, hence I reckon it'll be a cracker. Besta luck!)[/QUOTE]

Can't wait for the game it'll be a cracker. I think Nure's problem will be getting enough ball. I could see the cwc pack led by the Byrne brothers bludgeoning their way over for a few tries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hiro19

Clongowes will win well,terenure beat gonzaga by a similar score last year and people were getting excited about it,they went out and lost to Roscrea then in the next round,will be no different this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

hiro19 wrote: »
    Clongowes will win well,terenure beat gonzaga by a similar score last year and people were getting excited about it,they went out and lost to Roscrea then in the next round,will be no different this year

It will be different this year in that they won't be going out to Roscrea :D

But in all seriousness, Clongowes will be tough to beat and with a few older more experienced heads will most likely win the game by a score or two.

They will definitely get a tough match off Terenure and I just hope Terenure don't give up any easy scores or any sin-binnings (two in two games).

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dev5976

thebaz wrote: »
    there seams to be a lot of good full backs in the competition this year , the zaga 15 is Irelands choice - he did nothing wrong , but was outplayed by the nure 15 - was it just one of those days ?

In think Roscrea's full back Philip O'Dwyer is better than both of them...Just an opinion though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Firstly its great news the game is still on on the sunday the 4th.

Secondly-I think Terenure will give Clongowes a right game. They will relish being under dogs and the chance of denying Clongowes a 3 in a row. Plus the team are young and thus should show less fear than a team older then them. I expect them to tear into their opponents right from the get-go. Of course Clongowes are favourites and rightly so. But they haven't been tested yet and Terenure have and have come through. Remember-most of this Terenure team have never lost a cup match. If they can stay with Clongowes to the last 15 minutes they have a bench capable of winning a tight match.

Roll on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 wongus69

I hear from a reliable source that the Gonzaga tighthead has been contacted by a Top 14 side regarding a trial during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 WillySignaigo

wongus69 wrote: »
    I hear from a reliable source that the Gonzaga tighthead has been contacted by a Top 14 side regarding a trial during the summer.

I wouldn't believe a inch of what you just said. Absolute rubbish.

I wouldn't believe a inch of what you just said. Absolute rubbish.

I'd imagine you'll be eating your words per se,when the young man turns out against an Irish side for a French side in some European Competition soon enough.

I believe Matt Mellotte and Sean Moran,first centre and tighthead for Roscrea this year have huge potential,can anyone verify this?

Was he even in the Leinster schools squad or Ireland U18/U19?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Was he even in the Leinster schools squad or Ireland U18/U19?

No, he wasn't. But as we saw with Barry Daly, Gonzaga's winger last year that's quite irrelevant. He didn't play Leinster underage and by the end of 6th year he was starting for the Ireland 19s. It can be done!

Would be good for Irish Rugby if he went, developed over there and came back a better player but doubt it. I have heard about Sean Moran but nothing about Mellotte?

Would be good for Irish Rugby if he went, developed over there and came back a better player but doubt it. I have heard about Sean Moran but nothing about Mellotte?

Sean Moran is a brilliant,very astute setpiece player,could be a potential international prop. Mellotte is from Connacht I'm told. Incredible physical specimen. Great pace and cuts excellent angles. Has immense potential.

Colin Jones. I think he has the makings of an international centre,call me speculative but I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the Lions plane in 2017 to face the All Blacks in their back yard. A tremendous natural athlete, he has pace, hands, vision, the works!

• Advertisement

Colin Jones. I think he has the makings of an international centre,call me speculative but I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the Lions plane in 2017 to face the All Blacks in their back yard. A tremendous natural athlete, he has pace, hands, vision, the works!

Think you mean the other centre Harrison Brewer

. Philip Smith came off the bench in the past two games and has looked very aggressive and strutting his stuff with Dardis et all. David Doyle seems like a madman though. Colin Jones is definitely a name to look out for, quality player as his tries have shown, bags of pace and can easily front up in the tackle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Baggy69

I'm not too sure about that. I did hear tho that Gonzaga's flyer of a sub front row.. em not sure what his name was.. think it was simon mulberry or something, anyway as an impact sub he came on and ran the shop callin all sorts of moves from both lineouts and an array of set plays. He was unlucky not to start 10 but he tore his axial tendon in his shoulder after a heroic win against pres bray in the league quarter final. This is all what i have heard from current gonzaga rugby players. Hope he makes the academy next year #fingerscrossed

Baggy69 wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about that. I did hear tho that Gonzaga's flyer of a sub front row.. em not sure what his name was.. think it was simon mulberry or something, anyway as an impact sub he came on and ran the shop callin all sorts of moves from both lineouts and an array of set plays. He was unlucky not to start 10 but he tore his axial tendon in his shoulder after a heroic win against pres bray in the league quarter final. This is all what i have heard from current gonzaga rugby players. Hope he makes the academy next year #fingerscrossed
    Think you mean the other centre Harrison Brewer

baggy69 I don't believe you and personally think you're a troll and whatever they call it here

quint my friend I do mean Colin Jones, I am mesmerised by his mazy running skills are you not?

quint my friend I do mean Colin Jones, I am mesmerised by his mazy running skills are you not?

He's a big powerful guy alright. But he missed a few tackles against 'Rock. His centre partner is by far the better player of whom big things are predicted.

Sean Moran is a brilliant,very astute setpiece player,could be a potential international prop. Mellotte is from Connacht I'm told. Incredible physical specimen. Great pace and cuts excellent angles. Has immense potential.

Was speaking to a friend of mine who has a son in the younger years in CCR and apparently Moran is revered down there, a real cult figure. Great to see the level of togetherness in a school.

Was speaking to a friend of mine who has a son in the younger years in CCR and apparently Moran is revered down there, a real cult figure. Great to see the level of togetherness in a school.
    He's a big powerful guy alright. But he missed a few tackles against 'Rock. His centre partner is by far the better player of whom big things are predicted.

Yes so I've heard from my cousins son in 4th year. Apparently he trains immensly hard and regularly does extra fitness and gym sessions, the merits of being in a boarding school!

Quint I watched terenure closely in pre season and while brewer was good,when he wasnt injured, I thought Jones was the key man..leading their defence and creating much space for players like dardis. I don't think hes been on his A game agianst Blackrock and Gonzaga,contrary to what two tries may tell you. Fingers crossed the best is yet to come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Thread closed until it has a tidy up. Matty2824 banned for a month. What a terrible thing to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Reopening in a moment. Thanks for the reports. Well done on not feeding the troll! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Some posts have been edited to remove reference to made up rumours

Advertisement