Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Schools Cups 2011-2012

Options
  • 24-08-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭

Thought I would kick off this years schools cups' thread early following the announcement of the Leinster Schools U18 squad. It should give an indication of the relative strengths of the various schools this year:

Thomas Young (St. Mary’s College)
    Eoghan McKeever (CBC Monkstown)
    Cameron Higgs (Pres Bray)
    Silvio Borza (Terenure College)
    Shane De La Hunt (Kilkenny College)
    Joseph Carroll (Terenure College)
    Graham Reynolds (The King’s Hospital)
    Dylan Donnellan (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    Ross Malony (St. Michael’s College)
    Rory Maloney (Cistercian College Roscrea)
    Robert Somerville (Terenure College)
    Peader Timmins (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    Jack O’Neill (Castleknock College)
    Harrison Brewer (Terenure College)
    Dan Leavy (St. Michael’s College)
    David Doyle (Terenure College)
    Nick McCarthy (St. Michael’s College)
    Bobby Holland (St. Michael’s College)
    Conor McKeon (Gonzaga College SJ)
    Dermot Lavelle (Gonzaga College SJ)
    Rory O’Loughlin (St. Michael’s College)
    Stephen O’Neill (Terenure College)
    Ross Bailey Kearney (Kilkenny College)
    Billy Dardis (Terenure College)
    Matthew Madigan (Terenure College)
    Ruadhan Magee (CUS)
    Ian Fitzpatrick (The King’s Hospital)
    Cormac Brennan (Cistercian College Roscrea)

The two strongest schools seem to be Terenure with 8 players and St.Michaels with 5. Strangely-Blackrock have no players at U18 level worthy of provincial representation which must be first. I know there is an U19 squad also but I dont think that is limited to players still in school and thus could contain players who will not be participating in the schools cup this year. What are people's early thoughts?

Who will win the Schools Senior Cup in 2012? 235 votes

Clongowes
    0% 0 votes
    St. Michaels
    37% 89 votes
    Blackrock
    20% 49 votes
    Terenure
    9% 22 votes
    Belvedere
    20% 48 votes
    St.Marys
    5% 14 votes
    Other
    5% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Terenure have a good chance this year. Their team is bolstered by a bunch of 5th years who are by all accounts going to be the dream team of Terenure much like Blackrocks team of 96 (was it 96?).

Jaysus, nobody quote me on that next year when Nure go out in the first round. It's just whats been told to me by various people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Yes it was 1996. Leo Cullen, Bob Casey, Barry Gibney, Ciaran Scally et al. Gibney and Scally had careers sadly ended by injury. They didnt have things all their own way tho-they only beat Terenure 15-6 (5 penalties to 2) in the semi final. I think its their hammering of Newbridge in the final everyone remembers. Frankly I would put last years Clongowes team above them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Teferi wrote: »
    Terenure have a good chance this year. Their team is bolstered by a bunch of 5th years who are by all accounts going to be the dream team of Terenure much like Blackrocks team of 96 (was it 96?).

Jaysus, nobody quote me on that next year when Nure go out in the first round. It's just whats been told to me by various people involved.
    Agreed with this, now I don't know anything about the other teams so open to correction but talking to a lot of people involved in Terenure they have an amazing team on their way and it's the 5th years that are making it so if it's not this year it'll be the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Terenure seem to be the team to beat alright but they didn't breeze the Junior Cup 3 years ago by any means it took a last play try to edge through the first round. I think the competition, and hopefully the final, will be a lot more open and competitive this season.

Terenure seem to be the team to beat alright but they didn't breeze the Junior Cup 3 years ago by any means it took a last play try to edge through the first round. I think the competition, and hopefully the final, will be a lot more open and competitive this season.

and If I remember rightly they beat Blackrock in the semi final in the 7th minute of injury time. I think 6 of that team won junior medals again in 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

No Belvedere representatives in squad either - that would be unusual wouldnt it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Isn't Brewer still very young for that squad 16?

I've heard great stuff about him but I don't want to overhype because he might be finished growing or for some other reason never come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

St. Michaels have a much better chance of winning it this year over next year anyway. I would think that it is between Michaels and Nure this year... Terenure will probably edge it.

Very strange to have no Blackrock players, but they did have a dry spell in the juniors for a while there.

Isn't Brewer still very young for that squad 16?

I've heard great stuff about him but I don't want to overhype because he might be finished growing or for some other reason never come through.

Brewer is only 16-but Jack O'Neill has only just turned 17 and he played for Leinster and Ireland U18's last season. But he is a very physically mature player. I think Dan Leavy did that too. Brewer has the biggest potential of any schools player I have ever seen-but as you say its all about how they develop over the next few years.

Leinster Under-18 schools, sponsored by Nivea for Men, defeated a Languedoc selection 40-14 in a hot and humid evening in Gruisson on Wednesday night...

Tries by Rory Moloney, Stephen O'Neill, David Doyle, Peader Timmins, Harrison Brewer (2) and five conversions by Stephen O'Neill made up the Leinster scorers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

great win for the first game, just hope the next game is as good

Leinster Under-18 schools, sponsored by Nivea for Men, completed their tour of France with a 31-13 victory over Languedoc 'A' in Stade de la Municipalee in Beziers...

Tries by Dylan Donnellan (2) in the the 13th and 53rd minutes, Stephen O'Neill in the 26th minute, David Doyle in the 33rd minute and Ian Fitzpatrick in the 70th minute with Conor McKeon kicking two conversions and Billy Dardis one making up the scorers on a hot and humid afternoon in Beziers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

So that's the Leinster team I saw in Toulouse airport yesterday afternoon. Big bloody lads! Presumed it was the U21's going by the size of them. I felt tiny walking by them, width and height wise.

Is Reggie their coach? Could have sworn I saw him walking ahead of them.

So that's the Leinster team I saw in Toulouse airport yesterday afternoon. Big bloody lads! Presumed it was the U21's going by the size of them. I felt tiny walking by them, width and height wise.

Must have been Tom. Dunno who is the head coach but I think Dermot Blaney who is coaching the Terenure SCT this year is involved with them also. They are mostly 17 year olds with one or two 16 year olds involved too..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Are you sure it's Derm Blaney coaching Nure SCT this year? I thought it was back to Des Thornton?

Teferi wrote: »
    Are you sure it's Derm Blaney coaching Nure SCT this year? I thought it was back to Des Thornton?

You could be right. I know Dessie was training the U16's (ie all the Leinster schools contingent) last year but somebody told be Blaney was taking them this year as he trained them in their junior years. I just know Blaney was involved in the Leinster U17 set up last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rugbybuff

That was probably the under 20s they were playing Toulouse on Friday they came home yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

rugbybuff wrote: »
    That was probably the under 20s they were playing Toulouse on Friday they came home yesterday

That'd make sense. Thought they were a little too big to be schoolboys!

it was the u20's in Toulouse, the u18's flew out of Carcassonne

Leinster Schools U18 team to face Munster Schools wed 7th Sept Donnybrook KO 2.30PM

LEINSTER SCHOOLS (UNDER-18): 15: Billy Dardis (Terenure College)
    14: Matthew Madigan (Terenure College)
    13: Rory O’Loughlin (St. Michael’s College)
    12: Stephen O’Neill (Terenure College)
    11: Ian Fitzpatrick (The Kings Hospital)
    10: Conor McKeon (Gonzaga College SJ)
    9: Nick McCarthy (St. Michael’s College)
    1: Shane Delahunt (Kilkenny College)
    2: Dylan Donnellan (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    3: Eoghan McKeever (CBC Monkstown)
    4: Ross Molony (St. Michael’s College)
    5: Ross Moloney (Cistercian College Roscrea)
    6: David Doyle (Terenure College)
    7: Dan Leavy (St. Michael’s College)
    8: Harrison Brewer (Terenure College)
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Joseph Carroll (Terenure College)
    17: Cameron Higgs (Pres. Bray)
    18: Silvio Borza (Terenure College)
    19: Niall Carmody (Wesley College)
    20: Ruairi O’Farrell (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    21: Bobby Holland (St. Michael’s College)
    22: Ruadhan Magee (CUS)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Two Ross moloney second rows? Surely not?

Also is brewer the son of a kiwi who is the 'next big thing'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

durkadurka wrote: »
    Two Ross moloney second rows? Surely not?

I think the other one is actually Rory Maloney.

And yes. The one and only. The N8 who converts the tries he scores. Can't wait. Everyone has been so hush about him cause he's so young.

durkadurka wrote: »

Its Mike Brewers son who played for the All Blacks in the 90's
    Hagz wrote: »

And yes. The one and only. The N8 who converts the tries he scores. Can't wait. Everyone has been so hush about him cause he's so young.

Dont think thats true about him converting the tries he scores? And he's 16 but I will say it again-the biggest potential of any schools player I have seen in 30 years of watching schools rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Dont think thats true about him converting the tries he scores? And he's 16 but I will say it again-the biggest potential of any schools player I have seen in 30 years of watching schools rugby

Not sure if he's the designated kicker for Nure, but I know he's very good off the tee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Whats the deal with this Harrison Brewer lad vis a vis Ireland, was he born here? is his mum Irish or anything? I know its premature to be talking about him in Ireland terms but how likely is it that he'd even go on to represent Ireland if he lives up to his hype.

shuffol wrote: »
    Whats the deal with this Harrison Brewer lad vis a vis Ireland, was he born here? is his mum Irish or anything? I know its premature to be talking about him in Ireland terms but how likely is it that he'd even go on to represent Ireland if he lives up to his hype.

Not sure if he was born here but his mother is definitely irish and he has been playing rugby in Terenure from a very young age so he definitely qualifies.

leinster 11 munster 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

fox_1973 wrote: »
    leinster 11 munster 3
    Leinster Beat Munster In Schools Inter Pro'
    7 September 2011, 3:35 pm
    By Olan Allen

Leinster got off to a winning start against Munster in their opening game in the Schools Inter Provincial tie at Donnybrook

Leinster 11, Munster 3.
    Both sides made a very nervous opening to this their first Schools Inter Provincial tie of the season. It was Leinster who settled first and went into the lead with their number eight Harrison Brewer being credited with the touch down.
    Last season’s Crescent College Comprehensive Junior skipper Gearoid Lyons opened Munster’s account with a penalty.
    In a poor second half two penalties from Leinster’s out half Conor McKeon made sure of victory for the home side.
    Scorers Leinster: Harrison Brewer try, Conor McLeon 2 pens. Munster: Gearoid Lyons pen. Leinster: Billy Dardis (Terenure College); Matthew Madigan (Terenure College), Rory O’Loughlin (St. Michael’s College), Stephen O’Neill (Terenure College), Ian Fitzpatrick (The Kings Hospital); Conor McKeon (Gonzaga College SJ), Nick McCarthy (St. Michael’s College); Shane Delahunt (Kilkenny College), Dylan Donnellan (Clongowes Wood College SJ), Eoghan McKeever (CBC Monkstown); Ross Molony (St. Michael’s College), Rory Moloney (Cistercian College Roscrea); David Doyle (Terenure College), Dan Leavy (St. Michael’s College), Harrison Brewer (Terenure College). Replacements: Joseph Carroll (Terenure College), Cameron Higgs (Pres. Bray), Silvio Borza (Terenure College), Niall Carmody (Wesley College), Ruairi O’Farrell (Clongowes Wood College SJ), Bobby Holland (St. Michael’s College), Ruadhan Magee (CUS).
    Munster: Cormac O’Donnell (St. Munchin’s College), J.J. McDonnell (Castletroy College), David Johnson (Rockwell College), Ned Hodgson (Capt.) (Midleton College), Steve McMahon (Rockwell College), Gearoid Lyons (Crescent College Comprehensive), Ryan Foley (CBC), Charlie Slowey (CBC), Max Abbott (PBC), James Maxwell (Rockwell College), Neville Flynn (Rockwell College), Darragh Moloney (CBC), Jack Dineen (Crescent College Comprehensive), Sonny Dwyer (Rockwell College), Tom Ryan (Glenstal Abbey). Replacements: Ben Burns (Castletroy College), Aidan Slattery (PBC), Rory Bourke (CBC), Ryan Callanan (PBC), Lee Nicholas (St. Munchin’s College), Patrick Kearns (Ard Scoil Rís), Conor Bonfil (Castletroy College), Ryan Tsang (St. Munchin’s College), Joe Dowling (CBC), Dan Goggin (St. Munchin’s College), Rory Fenton (PBC). Referee: J Erskine (IRFU).
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/9364.php
    Father was at game. said both packs were quite poor and leinster had a little bit more out wide to win the game

wasnt at the game either, but from all accounts the leinster team agree they didnt play the greatest, nerves played a part in both sides
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/youth/8419.php

• Advertisement

The Leinster website said Clongowes hooker Dylan Donnellan got the try not Brewer

Advertisement