Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I hope its not too late to throw my hat into the ring for this! Did the half yesterday and decided it's time to commit. Although the thought of doing double what I did yesterday scares the **** out of me!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

GIR 10km: 58:33
    Kildare Half Marathon: 2:23 (gutted with that time but it can only improve!!)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?

No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant

Usually 2 days running and 2 days cross training. I struggle to get the long runs in which is my downfall at the moment. That will all change now...

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

Dream sub 4:15
    Realistic 4:59:59

How many days a week can you train?

4 - 5 days

Why are you running this marathon?

Signed up last year but in my enthusiasm I got injured on about week 4. Determined to finish it this year but more importantly to get through the training injury free and actually enjoy it!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

shazkea wrote: »
    Determined to finish it this year but more importantly to get through the training injury free and actually enjoy it!
    Trust me, get through the training injury-free and you *will* finish it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Comments
    William72|4|22.4|Including the Kildare Half yesterday|
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|2|10|missed weekend long run! Nearly forgot god-daughter communion!redface.gif |

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones|3|18|1st long run after injury etc, 9 miles and went well. Finally feel much better after all the stop/starts and another 3 sessions this week with a cycle and upper body weights session !|
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    brophya2007|2|10.5|Studying for exams at the moment so not getting out much.|
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere|3|13.67 (22km)| First race, a 5k, went well. Bad shin splints, plan is cross training only for five days|
    robandpatrice|1|6|Right calf was sore after run so decided to rest it up for a couple of days. Will get back out tomorrow and see how it feels. |
    dothehustle|4|21|good week includes the arc men's mini marathon|
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher|4|18m|The sessions felt hard, probably because I haven't been eating very well lately. But I will now.|
    Dave_|4|18m|Good week but not finished off with a long run|
    littlebug|3|15|a good week turned bad:(|
    meathcountysec|4|21|Good week, managed to keep mileage up despite racing on Saturday|
    DigiJem|3|9|a good week of short runs|
    8ofSpades||||

Are we going to update this every week with total sessions and distance ????

Or is it a new one for every week.......

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

=elvis jones;65818666]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Comments
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|2|10|missed weekend long run! Nearly forgot god-daughter communion!redface.gif |

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones|3|18|1st long run after injury etc, 9 miles and went well. Finally feel much better after all the stop/starts and another 3 sessions this week with a cycle and upper body weights session !|
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    dublinrunner|2|21.2|includes kildare half marathon.rest this week!|
    southofnowhere|3|13.67 (22km)| First race, a 5k, went well. Bad shin splints, plan is cross training only for five days|
    robandpatrice|1|6|Right calf was sore after run so decided to rest it up for a couple of days. Will get back out tomorrow and see how it feels. |
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher|4|18m|The sessions felt hard, probably because I haven't been eating very well lately. But I will now.|
    meathcountysec|4|21|Good week, managed to keep mileage up despite racing on Saturday|
    8ofSpades||||

now ive got it...:o

Or is it a new one for every week.......
    New one for every week. I'll be modifying the table slightly once the proper training program starts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

No running for the past week as per physios advice. Its driving me mad but hopefully itll be worth it in the long run.

Its funny, Im usually dreading running on a Monday night but id love to go out now. More stretches and exercises instead. Its only been a week - I would go mad if I had a long term injury!

Fair play to everyone, some good distances ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

sorry bein a bit thick.... how do i remove the quote tags? what does that even mean! hehe! i hit quote but it came up in a forum i could write on...apologies...newbie!

No worries. When you hit Quote, you'll be brought to a page to write a post. In this you'll see some tags at the start and end of the post like:
    [ / QUOTE]

But without the spaces. Delete these (and only these), then edit the table by entering info in the spaces by your name (you'll see how from others)... Hope this helps!

Best of luck to everyone! First marathon is a fantastic experience and a great achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

wicklowwonder||||

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    dublinrunner||||
    beamgirl|1|6|Had a blasted cold also God daughters communion!|
    8ofSpades||||

Trust me, get through the training injury-free and you *will* finish it. :)

Cheers for the motivation. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭boccy23

wicklowwonder||||

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23|4|30kms|11.5Kms on Saturday in 62mins:D|
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    dublinrunner||||
    8ofSpades||||

• Advertisement

wicklowwonder||||

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    dublinrunner||||
    8ofSpades||||
    shazkea|2|17.1|Incl Kildare Half|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Hey, can my name be removed from this?

Physios orders, no running until knees improve and then building up distance slowly. Best I can hope for this year is a ten k apparently. Bye bye marathon

Dont ignore injuries! Gutted:(

Sorry to hear that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

wicklowwonder||||

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    8ofSpades||||
    shazkea|2|17.1|Incl Kildare Half|
    RayCun|5|15|five slow 3 mile runs up and down hills in Spain|

Yay, thanks for setting this up RK, I was hoping it would be here when I got back from holiday...

I'm 38, started running last September/October with the Couch-to-5k programme, first race was the Jingle Bells 5k.
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k: 29.39 Jingle Bells last Dec, 25.12 MSB in March
    5m: 46.34 Raheny in Jan, planning to take a few minutes off this weekend
    10k: 53.45 at the Great Ireland Run
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Not a consistent figure. Average is around 15 and three runs, but I've been building up the miles/number of runs when I can, and falling back around races.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    3.59.59. That's better than my PBs so far would predict, but I've been getting faster and stronger so I think it's possible. That's the target I'll be training for at least - perhaps after the race series in the summer I'll have to re-assess.
    Fallback is to run (slowly) the whole way around, and the minimum is to finish.
    • How many days a week can you train?
    6. I can run either before work or home from work during the week, and at least once on the weekend. I wouldn't be able for 7 running days out of 7 anyway, unless they were all slow and short (and 6 would be pushing it too).
    • Why are you running this marathon?
    Well, I need a qualifying time for Boston...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

Can you add me to the list. I am a novice runner, 44 year old, male, 6ft 3, 80 or 81 kilos. I plan to run Dublin City Marathon in October.
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Only 2 races, both this year. Great Ireland Run 10K in 56:04 and Kildare Half Marathon in 2:04:49
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Started training in January with aim of doing Kildare Half Marathon. For first few weeks I did 4 days running 3-5 miles a day, then I followed this beginner's schedule for the half marathon : http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--6851-2-2X5X8-4,00.html
    That was 4 days a week.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Would love to do 3:59:59 but maybe 4:15 or 4:20 would be more realistic.
    • How many days a week can you train?
    Can do 4 or maybe 5.
    • Why are you running this marathon?
    I have always wanted to run a marathon and vowed I would do it once I stopped playing hurling and football. I have finally given that up, at age 43, cause my right knee is basically worn away. I should not really be doing road running but am determined to do the marathon and it really has to be Dublin for me.

wicklowwonder||||

pab_lowe||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    dublinrunner|2|21.2|includes kildare half marathon.rest this week!|
    beamgirl||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||21|Including Kildare Half Marathon. Wrecked after that.|

^ Welcome, and congrats on the half! The training for that will have given you a good base to work from for marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭boccy23

Tough week so far. Achilles pain after the weekend so biked on Monday (30Kms). Off Tuesday but ran 7Km yesterday on a very hilly course. Had to stop on the last uphill for a couple of hundred meters! According to MapMyRun, it was a 400 feet rise in a mile. But it was very hard on the backs of the legs.
    Hope to get back to normal flat miles today!

Does everyone have a plan in mind yet? I'm thinking I'll follow the Higdon Novice 2 program - it has a few more miles than the Novice 1, and midweek runs at pace, so it looks like two harder runs and two easier runs each week. It's an 18-week programme so it would start on June 21st, though I might start a week early in case I miss a week over the summer. I think from next week I'll start running on that kind of schedule - Tuesday easy, Wednesday pace, Thurs easy, weekend long - to get used to it before the real training starts.

Anyone else?

• Advertisement

I think most will be following Novice 1, but some prefer Novice 2 because of the pace runs. If you're planning on doing that, I'd advise you to start stretching out your long runs a little now, you want to feel that the first few long runs (8-10 miles) are pretty easy when you come to them.

Another thing I will say though - something my physio said when I got injured in late July last year: Better to arrive at the start line 10% undertrained than injured. If you're starting from a relatively low-mileage base I'd be a little wary of ramping up too quickly. Listen to your body, if you start with Novice 2 and the body is showing displeasure after a month feel free to switch down.

Yeah, I've been lucky with injuries so far, but there's a fine line between doing the best you can and pushing yourself too far.

The plan at the moment is to race Sunday, then in the following weeks do long runs of 7, 8, 9, 10 miles, and midweek pace runs of 4-5 miles. That way I'll be starting the programme by stepping back the distance on the long runs. But I will have to keep an eye on myself.

What is the usual plan when it comes to races in the middle of a training programme? Do they 'count' as your long run? If the plan was to do LSRs of 10, 11, 12 miles in successive weeks, and the middle one is replaced by a 5 mile race, should you follow with the planned 12 mile run, or with the 11 mile run that was skipped? (Or split the difference with 11.5 miles!)

I'd just follow with the planned 12 mile run the next week. On the 5-mile race day you could probably add a couple of very easy miles afterwards as a cooldown too. Alternatively, you could rearrange the LSRs so that the 5 mile race falls in a cutback week.

Cool, thanks. I'll probably ask again when it comes up :)

Thanks for the above question and advice. I was wondering the exact same as I signed up for the race series yesterday.

Since I'm swapping my running shoes for hiking shoes tomorrow as I head away on a hiking "hol" for the next couple of weeks, here's my weekly report slightly early...

Recovery week from Kildare Half so started the week with a couple of cross training sessions to give the legs a break....well that and the fact that even climbing stairs on Monday was a chore :o.... Cycling certainly helped with the soreness though!
    Got in 2 x 3 milers towards end of week and they actually felt good (something I thought impossible on Monday!!). I was saving myself though as I knew this hiking lark was coming up.

Question: is the above the correct approach after a race if you're legs are stiff and tired - cross training and then ease back into slow runs?

Good luck everyone with the training over the next couple of weeks.

I too am going to get my weekly report early, as I am heading on a short holiday tomorrow. I am off to Dineyland, Paris, so expect to do lots of walking but no running until next Thursday.

I was very stiff and sore, my thighs especially, after the Kildare Half Marathon and I did nothing until Thursday. I did 3.3 miles Thursday and 3.8 this evening. And that's it until next Thursday.

shazkea wrote: »
    Question: is the above the correct approach after a race if you're legs are stiff and tired - cross training and then ease back into slow runs?
    In my opinion yes, by cross training you're still keeping the fitness up but allowing the muscles some time to fix themselves up.

RayCun|3|12.5|travelling, and resting up for today's race. The rest paid off :D|

Three days with no runs to get rid of all the little niggles in advance of today's race. That, and the travelling, made for some seriously low miles, the second week in a row though. The plan for this week is to get back to where I was two weeks ago - about 18 miles - and start building up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dave_

RayCun|3|12.5|travelling, and resting up for today's race. The rest paid off :D|
    Dave_|3|21.2|Good week, might finish it off today for a recovery jog but happy with the 11 mile yesterday!|

Good week, happy with the long run. Might do half marathon at end of May.

• Advertisement

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|3|21.2|Good week, might finish it off today for a recovery jog but happy with the 11 mile yesterday!|
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||

Add your week to the table - and two of you got there before me, thanks lads :)

Advertisement