Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    Running since the start of the year. PBs are 5k 27:21 (Mar) and 10k 51:45 (May)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Run 3 nights @ week, no more than 12 miles weekly, so plan to increase this to 4 nights.
    A Cycle or hillwalk 1 days @ week.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Not sure what time is even possible really.

How many days a week can you train?
    5 days a week

Why are you running this marathon?
    Events of the last year made me realise that life is for living, I need to push myself to get out there and try new things. Training for and experiencing a marathon is part of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Hi,

Quick Question for you and to get your opinion. I kind of know the answer but ...

I did my first marathon in dublin last October and did ok. I was happy afterwards but know I could have done better. I havnt been able to do a marathon since but half done some halfs and am happy with my level of fitness.

So as I was disappointed with time last time I am eager to go again but I will be on honeymoon for most of September I wont be able to run for those 3 weeks. Is it possible to train properly up until then, take those 3 weeks off and then train again for the 4 weeks when i got back (inc taper).

Sounds mad I know so should I just wait until something like Barcelona in March?

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Why can you not train while you're on honeymoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Why can you not train while you're on honeymoon?

You really have a broad definition of cross training ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Bugg*r, I'm in(ish)....

· Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Sure have. Current PBs:

3K – 16:56 - Meath T&F Championships 11th May 2008

5K – 29:17 - MSB 5K 16th March 2008

6K – 36:31 - Simon Cumbers Memorial 16th May 2008

4 Mile – 38:16 - Dunboyne 4 Mile 28th March 2010

5 Mile – 50:08 – BHAA RTE 5 Mile 1st May 2010

10K – 1:05:14 – Great Ireland Run 18th April 2010
    · Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No.

· How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    4-5 times a week, approx 20 miles.
    · What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Dream Time: Sub-4:30, realistic Sub-5:00

· How many days a week can you train?
    · Why are you running this marathon?
    Dunno. Littlebug made me do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?

5 mile - 53:57
    10k - 61:40 - GIR
    10mile - 121:14
    13.1- ??? due to do the strawberry half at the end of June in Enniscorthy

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?

Occasionally, usually a one off 30 second one does the trick

How much training do you currently do?

Been struggling with injuries, first a calf and now a weird knee injury - too much too soon perhaps?!
    When fit, I try to get out 4 days for a run. Circuit training once a week and a game of squash every other week.
    Clocked up about 100 miles so far in 2010. Only about half as much as I had intended to at this stage :(

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

Dream: Sub 4.00
    Realistic: 4:30

How many days a week can you train?

5-6 (if I could just shake the injuries)
    5 runs and a circuit training session.

Why are you running this marathon?

Several...

- My dad ran a few back in the 80's, unfortunately I dont know what kind of times he did and as he passed away a few years back I probably never will

- Lose weight, getting maried in September so want to get in shape for that. Not sure how this (the wedding) is going to effect my training though

- Life achievment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

8ofSpades wrote: »
    - My dad ran a few back in the 80's, unfortunately I dont know what kind of times he did and as he passed away a few years back I probably never will

The marathon office are incredibly helpful, if you know the years he ran I would imagine they will be able to track down his times for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

The marathon office are incredibly helpful, if you know the years he ran I would imagine they will be able to track down his times for you.

Thanks, never thought of that. I'll check that out.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Possibly a bit early to be asking, but how was this week for you? Add your details for the week to the table. These few weeks before the start of formal training are a good time to get into some consistent running, and to continue laying down some base miles.

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Comments
    William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||

And to throw up a discussion question...
    Are you racing between now and the start of formal DCM training programs, and if so, where, and what are your goals for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    littlebug|3|15|a good week turned bad:(|
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||

Races. At the minute I'll do (hopefully) some more of the Galway 5k series. The plan then is to do the Streets of Galway 8k and Galway City Half Marathon in August. SoG I would hope to beat last years 45.30ish. Galway HM if I can go sub 2.10 I will register for DCM that very day :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robandpatrice

Only 1 run this week: 10k/6.odd miles. (sorry, couldn't figure out how to edit the table thing)
    Right calf was sore after run so decided to rest it up for a couple of days. Will get back out tomorrow and see how it feels.
    Planning to do the Irish multimarathon half on july 4th and also the addidas race series in the park as part of training if possible.

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice|1|6|Right calf was sore after run so decided to rest it up for a couple of days. Will get back out tomorrow and see how it feels. |
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||

Done. Quote the post, take off the quote tags, and fill in the spaces beside your name :)

I did the Irish Multimarathon half last year, quite warm and humid if I remember correctly! Very flat, but some of the course is on packed sand. Adidas race series is well worth doing, and the timing of the half is pretty good for giving you a predictor of how your training is progressing. Having the Multimarathon half to compare it to will be a very good indicator of progress - I know last year my Adidas half time was 18 minutes faster than my Multimarathon half time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|2|10|missed weekend long run! Nearly forgot god-daughter communion!redface.gif |

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice|1|6|Right calf was sore after run so decided to rest it up for a couple of days. Will get back out tomorrow and see how it feels. |
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||

Thanks for the organising Rainbow, no backing out now!

PS. I signed up for the full Addias race series and would hope for 45mins for 5 miles, 90 mins for 10, and around 2 for half.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|2|10|missed weekend long run! Nearly forgot god-daughter communion!redface.gif |

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere|3|13.67 (22km)| First race, a 5k, went well. Bad shin splints, plan is cross training only for five days|
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||

As for races, a lot depends on the shin splints, so nothing definite yet.
    Loosely, after doing a 5k I am now aiming for a 10k, then I will be aiming for a half marathon.
    Originally it was to be the Strawberry Half on June 27, but I don't think I will be able for it that soon.
    Considering entering the Adidas Race Series. A good idea for a novice?

Well worth it for a novice, the race series ramps you up through the distances quite nicely (and the T-shirts are pretty good too). If your training is consistent, and your injuries behave themselves, you'll be well able for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck everyone, no doubt the support you'll get here will be top notch. I'll be tackling Dublin myself this year, and its 24 weeks from tomorrow although I think I'd be more suited to a thread entitled the wannabes or the I think I'm better than I am thread :D
    So again best of luck to all who will be starting on the long lonely roads tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robandpatrice

Done. Quote the post, take off the quote tags, and fill in the spaces beside your name :)
    Thanks for the help, have been reading the forum here for the past year or so since I started running but havent really posted anything so it's a bit new still. Looking forward to getting started with the program

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere|3|13.67 (22km)| First race, a 5k, went well. Bad shin splints, plan is cross training only for five days|
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher|4|18m|The sessions felt hard, probably because I haven't been eating very well lately. But I will now.|
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||

I am training for the Womens mini marathon. So I plan to build my milage up to about 25m. Will I be too far ahead for the training plan?

You'll be fine. The first few weeks of Higdon Novice 1 will feel like a stepback (the first week is only about 15 miles, if I remember correctly), but by the time you're a few weeks into the plan you'll be past the 25 miles a week you were at. Feel free to add on a few easy miles to the plan if you want to, though :)

What sort of time are you hoping for at the Women's Mini-Marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

William72|4|22.4|Including the Kildare Half yesterday|
    wicklowwonder||||

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher|4|18m|The sessions felt hard, probably because I haven't been eating very well lately. But I will now.|
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||

Completed the Kildare Half yesterday (1:58) which I was delighted with. Also plan to do the marathon series. Although the thoughts of running twice what I did yesterday is literally beyond the bounds of my comprehension right now :o Will take a week or so off now before slowly ramping up for the start of HH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

wicklowwonder||||

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem|3|9|a good week of short runs|
    8ofSpades||||

I hope to run the BHAA Intel 10km and the mini-marathon in June. After that plan is to start the 18 week novice Hal Higdon program, revised to 20 weeks to allow for a 2-week holiday where training might not be up to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭boccy23

wicklowwonder||||

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23|4|30Kms|11.5Kms on Saturday in 62mins. :D. Did a brick session yesterday of 10Kms ride/3Kms run|
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||

Will be doing the Kilcock Triathlon on the 22nd of May and the TriAthy on the 5th of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

What sort of time are you hoping for at the Women's Mini-Marathon?

I hope to do it in just under 50 mins. That is based on the 46 mins it took to do 9k Aware before Christmas. I haven't done any other 10k's and I am a little fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

wicklowwonder||||

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    brophya2007|2|10.5|Studying for exams at the moment so not getting out much.|
    dublinrunner||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||

I hope to get back into it when the exams are over. Hoping to do Ennis 10k in at the end of June and to do the Adidas race series. Can't believe my name is in this table, I have to do the DCM now.

^ Good luck with the exams! It's quite helpful to get out for some nice easy runs during your exams, it'll help to clear your head and put you in a better mood, and you'll probably work better afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

wicklowwonder||||

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    dublinrunner||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec|4|21|Good week, managed to keep mileage up despite racing on Saturday|
    8ofSpades||||

Have a range of races in mind over the next while (5k to 10k). Just want to keep on getting in the mileage and if I pop a pb now and again that will be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dave_

wicklowwonder||||

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    dublinrunner||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_|4|18m|Good week but not finished off with a long run|
    meathcountysec|4|21|Good week, managed to keep mileage up despite racing on Saturday|
    8ofSpades||||

Disappointed to miss my long run this weekend due to work, but found the sessions manageable if not easy

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

wicklowwonder||||

pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    girvtheswerve||||
    dublinrunner||||
    dothehustle|4|21|good week includes the arc men's mini marathon|
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_|4|18m|Good week but not finished off with a long run|
    8ofSpades||||

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rainbow kirby viewpost.gif
    Done. Quote the post, take off the quote tags, and fill in the spaces beside your name smile.gif

Thanks for the help, have been reading the forum here for the past year or so since I started running but havent really posted anything so it's a bit new still. Looking forward to getting started with the program

sorry bein a bit thick.... how do i remove the quote tags? what does that even mean! hehe! i hit quote but it came up in a forum i could write on...apologies...newbie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

sorry i mean it came up in a form i couldnt write on! sorry..bit dozey..had anaesthetic today!

Advertisement