Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

If you can squeeze it in or reshuffle your training week to fit it in, then do it, otherwise just try and get in 3-4 days of comfortable easy running if you can. If you're going away for the weekend, maybe try do it around Wednesday?
    Can you do it on Friday before you go away or Thursday? I like to get in LSR's on Fridays if I can to free up my weekend a bit more.

ok too early to put up a table
    done 2 five miles on mon and tue and tried to get the lsr in today
    just didnt happen gave up after 2 miles
    3 hours sleep + heat= lsr

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Will have nothing to report this week or next. Prescribed rest for shin splints and other issues.

I shall return in time to do Hal's novice programme. Hopefully a bit early so I can build up to it.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

So, how was your week? Bit of a toughie with the temperatures soaring this weekend!
    Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Comments
    William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    RayCun||||
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||

Discussion question.. How have you been coping with the heat? Also, do you have any set plans for hydration on your long runs? It's something that will become much more of a factor later on, because you'll be doing your longest training runs in August and September, but good to be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    RayCun|4|18.7|start of the pre-programme programme|
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||

Tuesday recovery run, Wednesday pace run, Thursday recovery run, Saturday long run. The heat wasn't really a problem for me this week, Tues/Thurs were early morning, Wednesday was around 5pm, yesterday I was home by 10am.

So far my longest run has been 80 minutes, so I can wait to drink until I get home. I have a belt to carry a water bottle, so I'll be trying that out - or maybe just bringing some money to stop in a shop - in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dave_

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|5|26.5|This was a very tough week. Glad to get it finished but was hoping to gain a bit more confidence that i could run a good half marathon next week. That remains to be seen.|
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||

Have posted a topic in the main forum about the discussion question. Found 11 miles in 27 degree heat very tough yesterday. I didn't bring any water at all and would not have been able to complete the distance had i not found a water fountain.

What distance would you need to start considering hydration belts etc?

• Advertisement

Dave_ wrote: »
    What distance would you need to start considering hydration belts etc?
    That's up to the individual really, but I took mine for a 10 mile LSR yesterday. I think probably the best answer for this question is "When you think you need it" - also, if you're on a loop with a water fountain it's nice to be able to refill the bottles. I'd also suggest that if you're at the stage of spending 1.5-2 hours on your feet for a long run that you consider taking a gel, sweets or some sports drink with you too, the bit of sugar can give you a lift if you're fading a bit.

I'd also suggest that if you're at the stage of spending 1.5-2 hours on your feet for a long run that you consider taking a gel, sweets or some sports drink with you too, the bit of sugar can give you a lift if you're fading a bit.

Could certainly have used this yesterday. I am going to make a purchase of a belt next week methinks! Dont know if i'll use it for the half next Sunday though as they seem to be very well stocked up with water every two miles and gels/gatorade at mile 8. Think this should be good enough. Usually for me it's not a thirst thing, more of a need to cool my body and face down.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner|3|16.5|A tough week after the week off, hoping it will feel easier this week! will try increase the mileage too!|
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_|5|26.5|This was a very tough week. Glad to get it finished but was hoping to gain a bit more confidence that i could run a good half marathon next week. That remains to be seen.|
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||

I wasnt affected much by the heat as monday and tuesday it wasnt hot and on friday my run was at 9pm when it was cooler (but stupid flies everywhere...grrr!!) Dont think id like running in 25 degrees, will just try do my runs early or late to avoid this!
    I usually bring my fuelbelt on my LSR, dont think id survive without it!! Its one with 4 small bottles, find it good as i found the ones with just one big bottle jump around to much and dont stay on my hips! i bring a gel with me for every 45 mins ( my longest run so far 2 hrs 15 mins i think).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner|3|16.5|A tough week after the week off, hoping it will feel easier this week! will try increase the mileage too!|
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem|4|15|Good week, a good few niggles in the feet but back to normal now|
    8ofSpades||||

I found the 6 miles in the heat on Sat very tough as I did it around midday. Think I'll be leaving the runs until late evening if these temperature keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭boccy23

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23|2|7|Did two 3.5 mile runs but with Triathlon yesterday, took two days rest prior to that. Did a 30min cycle but that doesn't count! Did the Triathlon yesterday (that had a 5Km as well).|
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||

I did the Kilcock Tri yesterday in the heat and suffered on the run. Took me 33 mins to do 5K which is not the norm! But after the swim and cycle, the heat took it's toll. Finished in 1:39 which I was happy with. Aimed to break 1:40 in my first ever Tri!

• Advertisement

Congrats on the tri! Would love to do one some time.

Cheers! Great to do it alright. But 25°C was a bit much! Doing the TriAthy as well so it'll be interesting to see if lessons learned can be used to reduce the time.

Good stuff Boccy! Would love to try one some day myself. Are you more of a natural swimmer or was that a big hurdle for you? I would definately have to start fro mscratch with the swimming if i ever wanted to do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|3|13|Really suffered in LSR on Saturday with heat:o|
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23|2|7|Did two 3.5 mile runs but with Triathlon yesterday, took two days rest prior to that. Did a 30min cycle but that doesn't count! Did the Triathlon yesterday (that had a 5Km as well).|
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||

Was in Mayo for weekend so LSR was mile after mile of hills. As I was running away from coast, the first 4 miles were all uphill. Called it off at 5 miles. :(Going out at 11.30am, 25 odd degrees and no water was a bit of a rookie error.

Plenty of excuses there and more of a SSR really!!! :D

Well done BOC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    littlebug|1|5|:o:o|
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||

Busiest work week of my year + vistors = no running :o I've already run more miles this week but that's for next weeks table. I did my run early yesterday but by 9am I was already sweltering. I didn't think I'd need water on a 6 m run but it ended up being 6.6 and I really regretted not bringing some.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief|1|3.25|Only got out once mainly due to holidays in Disneyland, Paris|

Was on holidays last week until Wed, so no time to run and was too tired on Thursday. I did get out for a short run on Friday and intended to do bit more on Sunday, but slept in a bit and a BBQ in the evening put paid to plans to run late in the day. Will get back to it this week. In fact I did run at lunchtime today, but that is for next week's sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl|3|15| ran home from work 2 evenings (6x2) plus a 3 miler on sat morning plus tag one evening and hillwalking on sun|
    michellemuncher||||
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl|3|15| ran home from work 2 evenings (6x2) plus a 3 miler on sat morning plus tag one evening and hillwalking on sun|
    michellemuncher||||
    meathcountysec|3|15|Altogether a much better week than last. Even got an 8 mile LSR in|
    8ofSpades||||

Good stuff Boccy! Would love to try one some day myself. Are you more of a natural swimmer or was that a big hurdle for you? I would definately have to start fro mscratch with the swimming if i ever wanted to do one.

Hate to say it but I thought I was a swimmer! Can swim well in a pool or my own in the sea. But in with other people, in a canal and with race pressure it was very different.
    But swimming really is only a small part of it. I took 20 mins. About 5 mins longer than good and about 10 mins longer than elite. If you can cycle and run well, all the time can be made up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

William72|1|3|back on the road after 1 week planned off and 1 week unplanned due to sickness - was determined to get out before week was over so did 3 miles late sunday night|
    wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    michellemuncher||||
    meathcountysec|3|15|Altogether a much better week than last. Even got an 8 mile LSR in|
    8ofSpades||||

Hoping to get two more runs in this week before heading off on 2 weeks hols - will be bringing my runners with me - hope to get 2 runs a week in over there but won't beat myself up if I don't. Heat not an issue for me last week obviously - I'll let you know how I cope in Portugal though :D - I'm guessing early morning runs will be the name of the game.

Haven't had to give much thought to hydration so far. My longest training run so far has been 11 miles and managed without. Don't fancy the idea of the belt or carrying anything - maybe a belt with a few small bottles might be ok - I guess I'll have to get something sorted soon enough..

• Advertisement

Question for you RK (and anyone else who can offer any advice...)

Here's the thing when I was doing Higdons training programme for the Half I used to do my midweek runs (tue, weds, thurs) in the morning before work (as thats the only time I could squeeze them in without serious impact on OH and kiddies).

Now I'm about to embark on the programme for the full but from the end of July my mornings will be a lot busier, won't be able to do morning runs on tues or weds. So... what I was thinking was Tue @ lunch cos its usually short enough, weds in the evening and Thurs morning before work - so here's the question (at last you say...) is it ok to run at night, possibly up to ten or even later and then run again the following morning (7ish). My own gut feeling is that for the shorter runs it should be ok. I'm planning to just do it and see how it goes but I'd be interested what others think? Have any of you done this regularly....?

I run home from work on Wednesday, and then Thursday morning at 6.
    I think it's okay so long as your second run is an easy recovery run.

William72 wrote: »
    Now I'm about to embark on the programme for the full but from the end of July my mornings will be a lot busier, won't be able to do morning runs on tues or weds. So... what I was thinking was Tue @ lunch cos its usually short enough, weds in the evening and Thurs morning before work - so here's the question (at last you say...) is it ok to run at night, possibly up to ten or even later and then run again the following morning (7ish). My own gut feeling is that for the shorter runs it should be ok. I'm planning to just do it and see how it goes but I'd be interested what others think? Have any of you done this regularly....?

To be honest it's fine really, as long as the second run is a short, easy recovery run. I think Tues lunch, Wed night and Thurs morning sounds fine as long as you're taking Thursday morning's run really, really easy. I would definitely take Friday as a rest day then too, and then take the weekend as directed in the plan.

See how it goes though, and don't be afraid to rearrange things at times - the plan is a suggestion, not an absolute.

(Incidentally, last year I actually preferred to take the midweek days as Monday, Wednesday and Thursday so I could treat the first short run of the week as a recovery from my long run)

(Incidentally, last year I actually preferred to take the midweek days as Monday, Wednesday and Thursday so I could treat the first short run of the week as a recovery from my long run)

Might give that a try next week, it seems to make more sense than doing nothing Sunday and Monday, by Tuesday there's nothing to recover from!

thanks folks, thought as much, will try it and see

really worked for me to do t/w/t and then my long run on sunday evenings so I'll try to stick to that again. More than half the thursday runs are 3 miles or less anyway so should be fine

think as well I'm going to start a week early to allow for any unforseen mishaps (as I know some of you are also doing) so the big kick off for me will be Jun 15th, slowly building up the miles between now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

William72 wrote: »
    William72|1|3|back on the road after 1 week planned off and 1 week unplanned due to sickness - was determined to get out before week was over so did 3 miles late sunday night|
    wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    michellemuncher||||
    8ofSpades||||
    curraghyid|3|15|started a preprogram and getting used to new runners,oh and about 7 or 8 miles cycling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robandpatrice

wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice|1|3|Went for a short run to test my calf. Still a bit of pain there. Want to rest it up before the program starts so it's cycling for me for a while and maybe physio if it doesn't go away|
    dothehustle||||
    michellemuncher||||
    8ofSpades||||
    curraghyid|3|15|started a preprogram and getting used to new runners,oh and about 7 or 8 miles cycling

^ I'd go to the physio about that calf sooner rather than later, if I was you. Better to catch things relatively early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robandpatrice

Yeah, I reckon you're right. I was hoping it'd go away with rest but it's persisting. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice|1|3|Went for a short run to test my calf. Still a bit of pain there. Want to rest it up before the program starts so it's cycling for me for a while and maybe physio if it doesn't go away|
    dothehustle||||
    michellemuncher|3|14|And I cycled 60 miles through the week.|
    8ofSpades||||

Advertisement