Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options
1114115116117118120»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

menoscemo wrote: »
    9:30 at the papal cross this saturday. Anyone else interested?

Wouldn't mind, was planning on doing 10-11 miles for a long run this weekend - the issue for me is getting there.

Note to self: for fcuk sake, learn to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Wouldn't mind, was planning on doing 10-11 miles for a long run this weekend - the issue for me is getting there.

Note to self: for fcuk sake, learn to drive.

I'll give you a lift up if you want.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Fabulous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Now that the evenings and days are getting colder:eek: and a bit more miserable i was wondering what type of clothing you favour? I recently purchased a pair of running leggings, they are great, light but keep you warm especially starting off on your run. Also need a long sleeved training top.

There’s so much out there, but was wondering what brand/type you use if any, Helly Hanson seems to be very good or the Addidas base layer stuff. Any reviews?

No Digger style vest tops please:p

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

JEmily wrote: »
    Now that the evenings and days are getting colder:eek: and a bit more miserable i was wondering what type of clothing you favour? I recently purchased a pair of running leggings, they are great, light but keep you warm especially starting off on your run. Also need a long sleeved training top.

There’s so much out there, but was wondering what brand/type you use if any, Helly Hanson seems to be very good or the Addidas base layer stuff. Any reviews?

I use running leggings all the time and find them great. I have a few long sleeved ronhill tops which I find great (got them on wiggle last year) and then a hat and/or gloves and a hi-vis raincoat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Did you not get a long sleeved one after the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

mrslow wrote: »

Got a short sleeved white one after DCM, can't remember what i got after Half, but to be honest i don't like the fabric in those t-shirts. Prefer a bit thicker material aswell TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

the two times I've gone out in winter this is what I've worn. cos I've run a marathon, and I want everyone to know. but I don't want to tell them. cos that would be crass.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Ha I love it!!! lol Yeah I have worn it out a few times too!! :)....And the one I bought at the expo too!

I have been to the gym a few times with it and you see these blokes that are monsters look at you as if you are slightly crazy cuz you finished it....I find it quite amusing if I am honest...

Though I have to ask....Is anyone else finding it hard to get their motivation back.... I am struggling to get through my training schedule (Albeit its a tough one at 6 sessions a week between weights and running) but I am jus so tired and lethargic and jus feel like saying meh and spanning out on the couch for the evening!!! :(

And I am ALWAYS hungry...still!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Perkina3 wrote: »

Though I have to ask....Is anyone else finding it hard to get their motivation back.... I am struggling to get through my training schedule (Albeit its a tough one at 6 sessions a week between weights and running) but I am jus so tired and lethargic and jus feel like saying meh and spanning out on the couch for the evening!!! :(

And I am ALWAYS hungry...still!

What we need is some sort of mentored thread... hmmmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'll have you know that me and my vest have been retained by DCM to engrave the medals ;);)

Time: Sunday 28th November 9.30am
    Meet: Papal Cross car park
    Pace:: 9-10 min/mile
    Distance: 10ish miles

Confirmed so far:
    Mr Slow
    RQ

Anyone else?

Bumped because I don;t want this thread to die just yet!!

So how did the run go last weekend? Was there anyone there for it???

I have been sick the last week so my first run in 10 days will be tonight...A 5 miler I think.....

So how many of you guys have gotten back into training????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Bumped because I don;t want this thread to die just yet!!

So how did the run go last weekend? Was there anyone there for it???

I have been sick the last week so my first run in 10 days will be tonight...A 5 miler I think.....

So how many of you guys have gotten back into training????

Just barely back myself, maybe half a dozen runs this month. It is so dark - I'd forgotten how much it limits where you can run (and I'm not ready for the headtorch yet :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I've actually only been for two runs since the DCM, one last week (3miles) and one on Wednesday (5miles) just gone. I'm hoping to do the Aware 10k next month so I'll have to kick back into gear in the little time left before that.

+1 to what Ray said about limited running areas with the dark having set in. A lot of my routes aren't as accessible at this time.

I'm almost back to myself and and about time too. Ran a few sub 50 10k's over the last fortnight and I'm getting down to the business of getting my 5k under 20mins on Monday:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

I can't wait to get back training. I really really miss it :( I swear I'll never complain about the weather once I can get back out on the roads.

I'm hoping my first race will be the week after Christmas, if not, it'll be the Dungarvan 10 on 30th Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Ran a few sub 50 10k's over the last fortnight

Fair dues mrslow, that's great going, I'd love to be able to get sub 50. It's on my 2011 "to do" list :)

RubyK wrote: »
    Fair dues mrslow, that's great going, I'd love to be able to get sub 50. It's on my 2011 "to do" list :)

I want a Sub 4 marathon so you're ahead of me on that score.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Time: Sunday 28th November 9.30am
    Meet: Papal Cross car park
    Pace:: 9-10 min/mile
    Distance: 10ish miles

Confirmed so far:
    Mr Slow
    RQ

Anyone else?

I'm no guarantee for this by the way, it all depends on my ability to get out of my bed on Sunday morning. :)

• Advertisement

I'm no guarantee for this by the way, it all depends on my ability to get out of my bed on Sunday morning. :)

Have to cancel myself I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If we get fresh snow tonight I'll probably head to the park now for a long run. Will take in the papal cross if anyone changes their mind and turns up, only briefly though it will be cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

I'm still running. A couple of weeks ago I had real pain in my right knee and felt that it could be the end of my running. I hobbled around for 2 days, then rested for 5 more and then did a 2 mile test run. No reaction, so I am back. I am sticking to running on grass. That means driving to the park, which I hate doing as it's only about 1 1/2 or 2 miles.

I ran 3 times last week and 3 this and I am going to do the Jingle Bells 5k in the Park next Saturday. I have only run 6 races and each has been a PB. I only once repeated the same distance, so I really only once set a new PB. This is a chance to do that a second time. Got to beat 25:30.

And I got a Garminated. Got a 405. It's for Christmas but I can't wait, so took it out for a test run yesterday. I will return it to the box for wrapping on Christmas Eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

I've been pretty knackered ever since! Finding it really hard to get back into anything especially with weather....

On a good note - I ran that marathon as part of a larger challenge (two marathons a triathlon and Mount Kilimanjaro over 2 months) to raise money for Crumlins Childrens Hospital. Along with the others who climbed Kili with me, we handed a cheque to Crumlin on Friday for €50,000. It was one of the most amazing feelings of my life.

If you fancy helping my next campaign, please open the link below and hit like. Hoping to raise 100k for UNICEF in the one day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ireland-should-have-a-day-to-celebrate-ginger-people/171635809528267

mprop wrote: »
    I've been pretty knackered ever since! Finding it really hard to get back into anything especially with weather....

On a good note - I ran that marathon as part of a larger challenge (two marathons a triathlon and Mount Kilimanjaro over 2 months) to raise money for Crumlins Childrens Hospital. Along with the others who climbed Kili with me, we handed a cheque to Crumlin on Friday for €50,000. It was one of the most amazing feelings of my life.

If you fancy helping my next campaign, please open the link below and hit like. Hoping to raise 100k for UNICEF in the one day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ireland-should-have-a-day-to-celebrate-ginger-people/171635809528267

Well done Mprop, you have every right to feel as proud as punch.

Congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just in case you folks missed it. We are having the christmas night out on saturday.

Yeah I might be able to head to that...not too sure yet though...we shall see!!!

Eh so I went out for as run last night...Jus a short one...3 miles cuz I didn get home till after 10 but it was AMAZING!! I dunno why but I just found it really relaxing to be running in the snow and looking around... Also I thought the temperature was a refreshing... You should definitely try it like...I would recommend it to anyone!!!

Advertisement