Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭m2wua0ox56iz93

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Comments
    William72|1|3|back on the road after 1 week planned off and 1 week unplanned due to sickness - was determined to get out before week was over so did 3 miles late sunday night|
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|3|13|Really suffered in LSR on Saturday with heat:o|
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23|2|7|Did two 3.5 mile runs but with Triathlon yesterday, took two days rest prior to that. Did a 30min cycle but that doesn't count! Did the Triathlon yesterday (that had a 5Km as well).|
    OI||||
    brophya2007|4|12.5|Was in Spain this week, tough to run in the sun,now exams and holidays are over its time to start training proper|
    dublinrunner|3|16.5|A tough week after the week off, hoping it will feel easier this week! will try increase the mileage too!|
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice|1|3|Wenly.t for a short run to test my calf. Still a bit of pain there. Want to rest it up before the program starts so it's cycling for me for a while and maybe physio if it doesn't go away|
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl|3|15| ran home from work 2 evenings (6x2) plus a 3 miler on sat morning plus tag one evening and hillwalking on sun|
    michellemuncher|3|14|And I cycled 60 miles through the week.|
    Dave_|5|26.5|This was a very tough week. Glad to get it finished but was hoping to gain a bit more confidence that i could run a good half marathon next week. That remains to be seen.|
    RayCun|4|18.7|start of the pre-programme programme|
    littlebug|1|5|:o:o|
    meathcountysec|3|15|Altogether a much better week than last. Even got an 8 mile LSR in|
    DigiJem|4|15|Good week, a good few niggles in the feet but back to normal now|
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief|1|3.25|Only got out once mainly due to holidays in Disneyland, Paris|
    curraghyid|3|15|started a preprogram and getting used to new runners,oh and about 7 or 8 miles cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

William72|1|3|back on the road after 1 week planned off and 1 week unplanned due to sickness - was determined to get out before week was over so did 3 miles late sunday night|
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|3|13|Really suffered in LSR on Saturday with heat:o|
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23|2|7|Did two 3.5 mile runs but with Triathlon yesterday, took two days rest prior to that. Did a 30min cycle but that doesn't count! Did the Triathlon yesterday (that had a 5Km as well).|
    OI||||
    brophya2007|4|12.5|Was in Spain this week, tough to run in the sun,now exams and holidays are over its time to start training proper|
    dublinrunner|3|16.5|A tough week after the week off, hoping it will feel easier this week! will try increase the mileage too!|
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice|1|3|Wenly.t for a short run to test my calf. Still a bit of pain there. Want to rest it up before the program starts so it's cycling for me for a while and maybe physio if it doesn't go away|
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl|3|15| ran home from work 2 evenings (6x2) plus a 3 miler on sat morning plus tag one evening and hillwalking on sun|
    michellemuncher|3|14|And I cycled 60 miles through the week.|
    Dave_|5|26.5|This was a very tough week. Glad to get it finished but was hoping to gain a bit more confidence that i could run a good half marathon next week. That remains to be seen.|
    RayCun|4|18.7|start of the pre-programme programme|
    littlebug|1|5|:o:o|
    meathcountysec|3|15|Altogether a much better week than last. Even got an 8 mile LSR in|
    DigiJem|4|15|Good week, a good few niggles in the feet but back to normal now|
    8ofSpades|3 (+ 2 circuit)|10|slowly slowly catchy monkey...building the knee up slowly with a 3k, 6k and 8.5K - day on then day off. Knee is sore but only afterwards. Except for the circuit training after which the knee feels grrrreaaattt...weird|
    D Chief|1|3.25|Only got out once mainly due to holidays in Disneyland, Paris|
    curraghyid|3|15|started a preprogram and getting used to new runners,oh and about 7 or 8 miles cycling

should we add a total miles column as well as a total miles per week??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

cheeky and impatient...

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||| |
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    RayCun|4|20.75|two recovery runs, pace run on Wednesday, and 10 miles on Saturday - my longest run yet. Legs very tired today, but no worrying pains|
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|||

Feel much better today than I did last Sunday. I think my last two races took more out of me than earlier races, possibly because I'm getting better at pushing a consistently fast pace throughout. Anyway, a good week.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ Ta for getting it started, was just about to post it! How has this week been for everyone? 3 weeks now until the 18 week program starts in earnest, looks like most of you are getting nicely settled in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner|3|18.5|11miles monday LSR, one interval session and one easy 3miles didnt make 4 sessions this week as planned, but happy enough with it. Pain in right hip,knee and shin, hoping this will go away this week!|
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||| |
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    RayCun|4|20.75|two recovery runs, pace run on Wednesday, and 10 miles on Saturday - my longest run yet. Legs very tired today, but no worrying pains|
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner|3|18.5|11miles monday LSR, one interval session and one easy 3miles didnt make 4 sessions this week as planned, but happy enough with it. Pain in right hip,knee and shin, hoping this will go away this week!|
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||| |
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem|4|16|Good week overall, got an extra mile in and a nice 10k on Sat|
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|||

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||| |
    michellemuncher|3|17.5|One run was a 4 mile race which took a lot out me, otherwise I feel good. I walked 5 miles, cycled 20m|
    Dave_||||
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|||

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dave_

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||| |
    michellemuncher|3|17.5|One run was a 4 mile race which took a lot out me, otherwise I feel good. I walked 5 miles, cycled 20m|
    Dave_|3|21.3|Including half marathon today in 2:01:33. Happy with that as had pain in shin all week but that was all ok on the day. Just everything else hurts now!|
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|||

^ Nice running! Look after yourself this week now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭boccy23

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23|2|10|Bad week. Lack of time with work and travel lead to only getting out twice.|
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||| |
    Dave_|3|21.3|Including half marathon today in 2:01:33. Happy with that as had pain in shin all week but that was all ok on the day. Just everything else hurts now!|
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|||

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23|2|10|Bad week. Lack of time with work and travel lead to only getting out twice.|
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||| |
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|||

making the table a little wider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||| |
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec|4|24.36|A good week generally. A season best in the 5k on Tuesday, mileage/number of runs there or thereabouts. Tinkering with schedule before the heavy stuff kicks in.

|
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||| |
    littlebug|3|15.6|Just not feeling the running love at the minute:(.|
    meathcountysec|4|24.36|A good week generally. A season best in the 5k on Tuesday, mileage/number of runs there or thereabouts. Tinkering with schedule before the heavy stuff kicks in.

|
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|||

RK, a quick question for you.

Do we intend to follow Novice 1 or Novice 2 from Hal Higdon.

Difference seems to be pace runs.

RK said she'd be posting the Novice1 plan, I think, same as last year. (I think last year amadeus threw a few interval/tempo/pace sessions in there to mix it up, RK may do the same this year)
    But you don't have to follow that plan, I'll be doing Novice2 myself. For as long as I'm able anyway...

boccy23 wrote: »
    RK, a quick question for you.

Do we intend to follow Novice 1 or Novice 2 from Hal Higdon.

Difference seems to be pace runs.

I'll be posting Novice 1 each week - and if the demand for it is there I will post Novice 2 as well. Novice 2 ramps up slightly more quickly in terms of the long runs, and adds some PMP work, and as such would be more suited to runners with a stronger base. I will throw in a couple of twists to Novice 1 too to keep things interesting :)

Cheers RayCun

Will probably stick with #1. But with some of these pace sessions thrown in.

boccy23 wrote: »
    Will probably stick with #1. But with some of these pace sessions thrown in.

Higdon has more detailed week-by-week, run-by-run guides to the Novice1 programme. I think in most weeks he picks out the middle run in midweek and says 'do this run faster if you feel like it'. But I think he's trying to avoid scaring people with terminology and targets, so he doesn't say you have to go faster, or how fast.

I prefer to be told something definite, like 'run at marathon pace'.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|3|17|Good enough week considering workcommitments, 2 short run and an "easy" ;) 9 mile LSR|
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||| |

|
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|3|17|Good enough week considering workcommitments, 2 short run and an "easy" ;) 9 mile LSR|
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle|3|19|happy with the week got a ten mile lsr in on sat :D|
    beamgirl||| |

|
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|||

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    beamgirl|4|18|including 5k race on sat, finally getting a bit of pace back but havnt ran longer than 6 miles in any session:rolleyes: |

|
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|||

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    beamgirl|4|18|including 5k race on sat, finally getting a bit of pace back but havnt ran longer than 6 miles in any session:rolleyes: |

|
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid|4|20|3x fourmiles approx during the week and easy 8 mile saturday felt very good,disaster struck woke up sunday left midsole unbelievable pain ,a little better now hopefully rest willsolve
    [/QUOTE]

^ If that injury doesn't heal up in the next few days a visit to the physio or a podiatrist might be worthwhile - look after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||

|
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief|3|12.5|All going to plan until missed out on longer run on Sunday. Kids GAA and Cork v Tipp on TV filled the day, but no run.|
    curraghyid|4|20|3x fourmiles approx during the week and easy 8 mile saturday felt very good,disaster struck woke up sunday left midsole unbelievable pain ,a little better now hopefully rest willsolve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 la calera

Is this thread/ still open to newbies...before I go and dig out times etc..?

la calera wrote: »
    Is this thread/ still open to newbies...before I go and dig out times etc..?

Yup! All welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 la calera

Sign me up please!!!!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

yes, but have been unable to due to injury since Jan 2009. 5m - 39.05, 10k - 51.04, 10m - 1.32, half m - 1.59.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?

No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant

Only back twice a week regularly over the past few weeks, but lots of cycling to keep off the foot

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

Finish the race and sub 4.30 would be icing on the cake

How many days a week can you train?

Currently running twice a week but can increase to one other day and one long run at weekends

Why are you running this marathon?

Has been on the cards for years just never got to the start line...

How was your week?
    William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    RayCun||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||

Best of luck to anyone racing this weekend - Cork marathon and relays, Women's Mini-Marathon, or wherever! Let's hope the rain holds off ;)

Discussion question: Do you listen to music when you train? If so, any recommendations, and what do you enjoy?

• Advertisement

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    RayCun|4|24.5|half-marathon distance for my LSR! now for a rest week...|
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||

Best of luck to anyone racing this weekend - Cork marathon and relays, Women's Mini-Marathon, or wherever! Let's hope the rain holds off ;)

Discussion question: Do you listen to music when you train? If so, any recommendations, and what do you enjoy?

Yeah, good luck to all the racers (but a bit of rain is a great thing!)

On my long runs I always listen to podcasts - the Guardian's Football Weekly, something from iTunes U (there's a really good lecture series about the US Civil War), or Mark Kermode's movie show. If I listen to music I'll speed up to the beat, and I don't want that on an LSR.

Shorter runs I might leave the iPod behind, or show my 90's techno roots - Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Simian Mobile Disco, Orbital, Prodigy, LCD Soundsystem... it's all about the BPM.

Advertisement