Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

• 05-01-2010 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Heavy snow likely to fall in the north and northwest during through till early Evening.

>10cm in places.

Winds to veer Northeast this afternoon and towards nightfall.

Heavy snow showers pushing onto the east coast from 6pm.

Accumulations significant in places. (5-15cm)

Snow risk continues overnight and through Wednesday in the east and north coast, while things dry up gradually in the west as winds veer ENE at first.

Turning drier everywhere Friday/ Saturday with just scattered wintry showers. Some really deep frosts and lows perhaps below -10c.

Staying bitterly cold past the weekend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Anyone in north Co.Dublin see any snow at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Winds already beginning to swing into the Northeast now, visible on the very latest Radar imagery..

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Anyone else in Mayo getting this snow???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Weathercheck, am I wrong in thinking the winds are Northeasterly at the moment ?

It looks like that from the radar images

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Winds already beginning to swing into the Northeast now, visible on the very latest Radar imagery..

meaning good news for us on the east? :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Davo D wrote: »
    Anyone in north Co.Dublin see any snow at the moment?

we've had snow here overnight. haven't been out to look yet, but doesn't look like a huge amount. roads are dodgey enough in places, but gritting has been a lot better this time.

If we get even some of the falls predicted by others later on today it could get nasty pretty quick. Bear in mind though I'm right out on the coast, and that may have had some bearing on things

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snowaddict wrote: »

Yes, good stuff! M2 bouy now north, 4c/-1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like a big Anvil heading towards the City.

Looks snowy up there

Gonna slip south of here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

About 1cm has fallen in Sligo town in the past hour.

There was even a bit at home, very little, before I left for work and OH says it was coming down there too after I left, which is the first since before Xmas.

• Yes they've gone light NNE here in the past few minutes.

DP and air is rising though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

There was a very light dusting in Southwest Mayo last night, yesterday evening was the mildest night in two weeks due to the NW breeze off that (relatively) warm warm Atlantic. Heavy clouds are now visible in the far Northeast over the Newport area.

http://Irishmarinelife.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Beautiful clear sky in Lucan at the moment.
    Temperature currently reads -2C.
    We had a small dusting of snow last night and it was enough to make the roads in the housing estates treacherous again.

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Weathercheck, am I wrong in thinking the winds are Northeasterly at the moment ?

It looks like that from the radar images

There is a small circulation around North Wales.

NW winds to the south of it, NE winds above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

snow ghost wrote: »

Ya, it's throwing it down here now, gets heavier every time I look out the window - this has the makings of a serious dumping!:D

• The wind change is a bit late for the showers in the Irish sea at the moment for most of the East unless you live in south wexford..in which case look east north east-theres a baby passing through in an hour or two.
    It may be too far out to see to only just graze wexford town/rosslare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

[quote=irish1967]Pangea, Isn't it absolutely beautiful !! And by the looks of the raintoday radar which has been spot on all morning there is loads more to come this morningsmile.gif[/quote]
    Sure is! Its lovely to look at , its good and thick here now, proper snow!! , i moved away some of the snow and under it is an inch or two of ice. Thats in places where there was no ice last night!

Theres a good stretch of water in my field the last 3 weeks that has been frozen solid, and the ice is like 8 or 9 inches thick by now, This weather is incredible. My driveway also has been an ice rink since mid december :D

I wonder will that clump in Kish head into Wicklow, could be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Can anyone hazard a guess if it's likely to snow Navan/Dunshauglin area with these coming bands? Took me 3 hours to drive from Navan to Blanchardstown this morning and i'd like to determine if i should head home early today and what conditions are likely tomorrow? Cheer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Heres a few more pic that were posted by DeerHunter over in the Donegal Forum a few mins ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63800175&postcount=131

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

from post in other thread

''Can anyone hazard a guess if it's likely to snow Navan/Dunshauglin area with these coming bands? Took me 3 hours to drive from Navan to Blanchardstown this morning and i'd like to determine if i should head home early today and what conditions are likely tomorrow? Cheer!''

Unlikely to see further snow in Dunshaughlin/Navan for most of today, maybe a chance of some snow showers later 2night and 2moro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Yes they've gone light NNE here in the past few minutes.

DP and air is rising though.

Thanks for the update BB.

Hopefully you will see a drop now fairly soon as the much colder 850mb Temperatures set in..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

woke up to all white again this morning, only frost, should i go on my snow watch down here in wexford again???
    would love it back,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Is that subtle shift in wind direction not going to affect the flow of that precip along the West? It was initailly forecast to hit north galway at best but latest satelitte runs has seen it take a more SSW run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Hey lets ramp it up abit by adding possible east/south east whiteout to thread title:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

snow ghost wrote: »
    Nothing in Ballina yet apart from a light sprinkling overnight. It's gone very dark now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

redsunset wrote: »
    Hey lets ramp it up abit by adding possible east/south east whiteout to thread title:D

What time roughly:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

I wonder will that clump in Kish head into Wicklow, could be close.
    Looking out over the Irish sea there is a huge anvil forming:) not sure it will make landfall here in Wicklow though the showers seem to be traveling along the coast some miles out to sea still :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

irish1967 wrote: »
    Heres a few more pic that were posted by DeerHunter over in the Donegal Forum a few mins ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63800175&postcount=131

wow,can only hope an pray for some of that

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looking at the Met E radar, it looks like the edge of that ppn will just hit the coastal fringe of Dublin? Definitely looks to be moving almost SW.

-1.0c here DP -1.4c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

By the way how did that polar low fair out , what happened to that little beauty?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement