Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

what I'd appeciate is if you could all check in once a week and say what you're planning and what you've done.

Cheers Amadeus,

I'm into week 6 on Hal Higdon Spring Training

(http://www.halhigdon.com/spring/Springnovice.htm)

Tue: 2m
    Wed: 3m
    Thurs: 2m
    Sat : 4.5m
    Sun : Cross training - cycle or walk.

I'll have a crack at the 800s.
    When you say 10x800, is this in one session or try and get 10 done over the week (please say over the week).
    Also can these be done on a treadmill or would around a track be better. I could get to a track but the treadmill would be handier. If on a treadmill should I increase the incline?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Will try and squeeze in the Yasso 800s at some stage. This week is a bit all over the place in terms of running though, my final year project is due tomorrow - fun times! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Just read the article and it says that your man yasso started with 4 x 800s and then added one a week, sounds like a tough workout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

good luck with the project!!

It is a tough workout, but it shouldn't be a killer. A couple of reasons for this - first you want to run the last as strongly as the first so they shouldn't be "all out" effort, instead it should be comfortable but fast. Secondly you have plenty of recovery time between sets so they shouldn't leave you hanging at the end. If you find that after 4 or 5 you're dead then you've been running too fast :D

A few reasons for this workout - it allows you to accumulate more time at a higher intensity than you would if you ran the same pace in one continual run (Daniels calls them cruise intervals). It also gets you all used to speed work. It should give you a rough idea of what is a realistic target for this point in your fitness. It also gives us a baseline, we'll repeat these every month as we go and you should see either time or perceived effort fall away, giving a bit of a confidence boost.

As for running them on a treadie, by all means but track is better. If you do them on the treadie set a bit of an incline (I think I read 1% but could be wrong :confused:) so make up for wind resistance, etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hmmm. I need to find a track.... Might have to do it on a treadmill otherwise. :(

Cheers for all this amadeus.

• Advertisement

Pleasure!

Treadmill is fine, but track is better, if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Cheers --amadeus--,
    I am within 2 minutes walk of the Dangan track (Galway)....but there is no way in hell I am going to go down there today.....weak I know, but it is too bloody windy to get any reasonable times here today. Unfortunately I'm off to Clare for a few days so it'll have to wait till next Mon or so. Anybody know the times they open and close the Dangan track?

Anyhow for this week:

Mon Rest day
    Tues 4.5 miles planned-3.85 executed due to watch malfunction....OK user malfunction, I didn't charge it and mis-judged....badly
    Wed 3 miles planned-hope to make up my mile from yesterday
    Thurs 4.5 miles planned
    Fri Rest day
    Sat 50 mins cross (swim/bike...haven't been doing these of late)
    Sun 7 miles
    ...all going well

Went for run after work today on local race course, enjoyed it, did 4 laps which were apparently 1.25 miles a lap, felt like longer but there was a serious head wind on half the course, anywho 5 miles, 47.3 mins, 9.5 min miles, nah must have been longer, though I did stop to fart cautiously (had curry for lunch) and to ask groundsman length of course, he didn't know, did 5.2 miles yesterday in 44 mins and plan for rest of week is as follows:

Friday - 5.2 miles
    Sunday - 10 miles slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

What about some sort of quick meet up some evening or weekend to go through questions and the basics of stretching, warming up and down properly and maybe a few other things, just so that in between now and when we start the programme we're all doing things correctly ???

What about some sort of quick meet up some evening or weekend to go through questions and the basics of stretching, warming up and down properly and maybe a few other things, just so that in between now and when we start the programme we're all doing things correctly ???

Not a bad idea Mr M but we might be scattered to the 4 corners of Ireland, McConkey I think is in Galway and I'm in Offaly - it would be difficult to arrange a central meet, Offaly being in the midlands would probably be best..:rolleyes:

Maybe better if we let Sensei amadeus know what we are doing and the master can let us know what we should be doing.

I'll start:

Warming up - eh no
    Warming down - negative ghostrider
    Stretching before - not on your nelly
    Stretching after - yep, just quads, calves, hamstring and what I thought was an ITB stretch but just read that you cannot stretch your ITB unless you use foam. (Thanks Tunney).

So what should I be doing?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Well done to you all - good running..

Thanks amadeus. I'm still building up to actually being able to run without taking walk breaks so for now I'm going to keep the distances short (2.5 - 3.5 miles, four to five times a week) until I'm running more than walking.
    Arcee wrote: »
    I'm going to be starting pilates once a week from next week onwards so hopefully that will help with strength. Not sure if I can count pilates as cross training or should I see it as a rest day? It's tough on the muscles but not exactly exhausting overall so I'd be inclined to view it as a rest but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? What kind of cross training are ye doing?

Did anyone see my last post (above) Any thoughts?

Sub430 wrote: »
    I'll start:

Warming up - eh no
    Warming down - negative ghostrider
    Stretching before - not on your nelly
    Stretching after - yep, just quads, calves, hamstring and what I thought was an ITB stretch but just read that you cannot stretch your ITB unless you use foam. (Thanks Tunney).

So what should I be doing?:confused:

I do these
    http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm

and the calf raises and groin stretches from here
    http://www.best-running-tips.com/running-stretches.html

Probably overkill for the little running I'm doing but better safe than sorry! It does take up a lot of time before heading out though. By the time I'm finished stretching the humour for a run's gone off me :rolleyes:

There's also some stretches here http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Sensai? Muhahahahahah! Fooled you, fooled you all!!

Annnyway... A meet up would be great but I'm in Limerick so I'm not sure how we'd be able to manage it. There was talk of a general open to all training weekend a while back but I'm not sure enough people would be interested to make it worthwhile.

On warm ups and stretches and the like I tend to do exactly none and to be honest the literature it pretty ambivalent about the whole thing. Noakes - who is pretty much the guru - says that there are no proven benefits to stretching and I always just treat the first few hundred yards of a run as a warm up. Take it easy for the first few minutes and you should be fine. And if you stretch thats good, if you don't thats ok, it realy is a personal thing, IMO.

Arcee, a couple of things actually while I have you here :)

I was thinking about this and if you think the Yasso 800s are a bit much at this stage then don't stress about them (though I rekon you're well able for them). I just don't want people who aren't fully up and running (boom boom!) to feel pressured into going to a track unless they are ready for it.

As for cross training I know nothing about Pilates so I was avoiding that one... :o

Personally I do martial arts for cross training. It helps with flexibility, explosive strength and mental focus. It's also great for core strength and conditioning. Swimming, cycling, weights - all are great, it's personal preference as long as it's none or low impact.

Pilates - from the little I know - is like yoga on steroids, right? If so then it's ideal cross training, I would think.

How do? I must say I am liking the idea of the yasso challenge, 8k at tempo sounds tough though, I am aiming for a sub 4 marathon so I'll be looking at 4 mins for each 800, there is a 200 mtr track close enough, think I might knock off work early tomorrow and get the oul spikes, can't believe I'm excited by this, I'd normally b in pub on Friday after work but instead I'm throwing the oul spikes on (just regular runners), i'll let u know how I get on, cheers amadeus and best of luck to everyone in their training, it would be gr8 if we all acheived our goals as a virtual team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

:D:D laughed my head off Amadeus at my position on your table of our 4 mile test thingy.

I finally managed to get my 4 miler in. I had planned 4.5 miles but met a cow on the way and was not willing to test his (her) running abilities so I turned and headed for home, only to bump into my aunt who wanted a quick chat and I forgot to stop the stopwatch so all in all the 4 miles took me 42:30. It was a really enjoyable run/walk. Im still walking- following a 3 minute walk, 4-5 min run routine at the moment.

On Week 6 of Spring Training- kind of sticking to it- usually I do a mile or two extra on the Tuesday and Wednesday runs and had to change the rest day to Thursday instead of Friday because of work. I am committed to sticking properly to the plan once work settles down though.

This week's been AWFUL for me because of final year project-related stuff, I haven't run since Tuesday :(

*kicks 4th year*

@rainbow kirby. Its only Friday. :p

Still wondering where I can blag use of a track to do those 800 thingumys.

Did a 4.8 mile* run last night. Bloody hell was it windy... 40 mins or so, didnt have a stopwatch. Planning a long run on Sunday again, and have a 10mile event on the following Sunday, which I now see is partly xcountry. Oops. :D

*Edit: Checked it with mapmyrun.

Yasso's 800s

Ah just finished these lads, I had to do it on the tready in the end set at +1 incline.

I got a bit leggy doing the 8th and 9th set but 10 was fine. The total workout time according to the tready was 83 minutes but it didn't feel that long at all. I walked at 4mph between sets. To be honest the time between them seemed a bit long. Next time I think I'll jog the intervals.

1) 4m33secs
    2) 4 30
    3) 4 31
    4) 4 32
    5) 4 31
    6) 4 31
    7) 4 31
    8) 4 35
    9) 4 32
    10) 4 31

Good luck all.

Wow, that is absolutely fantastic! Great even splits and pretty much bang on your goal time.

Careful now he rest of you - the bar has been set high!

Thanks Amadeus.
    I think it will be a different story running on a track having to deal with the elements and keeping your own pace instead of being kept in line by the treadmill.

i'm just back in from my yasso 800s, goldarn it, I didn't time the splits properly, I was stopping the stop watch at the end of each 800 and then just starting it again, theres a smell of rage off me. Anywho, I did the 10 yassos and the total time for these was 39 mins, 40 secs.

It was on a 200 metre track, I did the first one in lane 3 starting and finishing at the same point and it was something like 4 mins 13 secs, the second was also done in lane 3 and it was a little faster, then I moved to lane 1 and it was well below 4 mins, I moved to lane two, again below 4 mins, then I did the last 6 in lane 3 again and they were all between 3 mins 56 secs to 4 mins.

I rang ahead to the track and they told me it was a 200 metre track. There were 4 lanes and no tapering on any of the lanes. Now obviously the outside lane 4 will be longer than the inside lane 1, thats why I split the difference and did the majority in lane 3. Should I take it that the outside lane is 200 metres or the inside one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Didn't get a chance for the Yasso's - did my long run instead but on the bright side i think i found a track very close to home.... So it should be easy enough to sort out access this week.

Anyways, 7.4 Miles in 62 minutes. Damn sun nearly boiled me.... :)

7.2 miles in 64 mins is good going, well done.

OI, my understanding is that if teh track is a 200m track then the shortest lane is 200m (the inside one) with the others being slightly longer. Good work on the session, bet your legs felt it the next day :)

Well done OI, looks like your true 800s were done in less than 4 mins. Nice one.

I'm thinking of running the Adamstown 8k on the 24th May. Good idea and is anyone else interested?

Still haven't gotten around to the Yasso 800s, I wanted to get my long run in this weekend before getting around to them. 8 miles in 1 hour 23 minutes.

thanks amadeus and sub430, well done to you sub430 aswell, looks like you are bang on your goal, actually it was your yasso post that spurred me on to get to the track and do them so thanks for that.

Last weeks tally was 17.2 miles including the 8k of yassos with about 3k rest in between.

Tonight i did my 5.2 circuit in 43 mins, felt good tonight and I think the yassos helped from the weekend, I felt like a had an extra burst.

My plan for the rest of the week is 5 miles on the racecourse tomorrow nice and handy, and rest on Wednesday and prob get one more run in this week cause I'm away for the weekend, I might get another in on Sunday if I'm back early enough!! Think I'll keep up the yassos though, the track like the racecourse is easy on the joints and its nice to burst out intervals knowing you will get a rest. By the way, shouldn't say this but foot felt good tonight, thats put the hex on now though

Didnt do the yassos yet... and ye guys are really setting a pace on em!

Did a 9.75k on Sunday, and am gonna taper this week because Im doing the John Treacy Classic in Villierstown on Sunday. So the yassos will have to wait till the week after. But hopefully that wont mean I get left behind. :)

What I ran this week, still following HH Spring training

Tues: 2m : 18m 45
    Wed: 3m : 28m 40
    Thur: 2m : 18m 30
    Sat: 3.1m : 27m 32

Amadeus, question for you. On today's run I wore my HRM. My average heartrate was 161. My maximum heart rate is 200, while my resting heartrate is 57. In what range should I be running? I am trying to run all sessions at the same pace for now, I guess this will change once our proper training starts.

Nice running again this week sub430, I only got out 3 times myself, currently enjoying a weekend break in the Wicklow mountains, I brought running gear with me but it's been raining a lot, does that up here apparently. Please don't tell me, well it could be raining on the day, osnola doesn't like the rain, your shoes and socks get all wet and everything

Have had an awful week here, because of trying to sort out things for my final year project presentation I've only been out twice since last weekend. Blargle. Back on track next week!

• Advertisement

Nice running again this week sub430, I only got out 3 times myself, currently enjoying a weekend break in the Wicklow mountains, I brought running gear with me but it's been raining a lot, does that up here apparently. Please don't tell me, well it could be raining on the day, osnola doesn't like the rain, your shoes and socks get all wet and everything

It rained a bit in the midlands too, probably why I took a minute off my Wednesday time! To be fair I was gonna skip the run but it was either that or watch Man U lift the Premier League trophy (again).:mad: I chose running.:)

Advertisement