Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Sub430, Oryx, Munster_Gal,

Awww, Thanks guys, I feel better already,

Sub430, I think you are right about the effects of x training on the mindset, I think if I can't manage a run over the weekend I will try to get a swim or walk. Let me know how u get on with the 405, I charged it up last night and downloaded the software, it does look really cool, i'd say the bezel takes a bit of getting used to though. I went for a walk to the top of the road with it then just to see how it worked. I came back and it showed my route on google earth. First of all I was really impressed but this turned to utter paranoia as I realised something was tracking my every move. It really is like bringing a bit of James Bond to the average punter.

Anyway I'm off to the pub now, they'll never find me there. Best of luck with your exam Sub430, and best of luck with the training over the weekend the rest of you guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Flying visit - hello to all the newcomers and the late filling in thier entry details comers!

Well done on the 400s and the training in general - this is all just tickover passing the time stuff so no panic if you can't do them all or you miss runs or whatever.

One last thing - aches and stiffness and that "oooo I can feel that workout" feeling are all good - they show that you are working and making progress. Any pain, any discomfort that lasts past a couple of days rest, anything that alters your gait don't attempt to train through. You'll do more harm than good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi all
    I've had a great week this week. Managed to train 5 days in a row so far- yesterday was a nice leisurely walk for cross training to top off a very productive week. Im very happy with the way my run/walking is coming along.

Cant believe how early I'm up on a Sunday- all because I want to get my 5 miles in today and the retest for the cooper test too! Totally not me- I usually love Sunday ly-ins!

Just one question- does anyone know if I can just turn up at the UL track and do the 800s thing? I've been avoiding it so far as it seems a pretty difficult feat. But now I think its time I did what amadeus says (he is the boss after all:))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Hey Guys

So here's the plan that I intend on following for the DCM training and I'm on target to start this week beginning 6th July 09 - 16 week plan so brings me right up to the day before the Marathon.

What are your opinions on it? Anyone feel that there could be some changes made to it? Just wanna make sure that I'll be getting in enough training.....

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

Hi Munster Gal,

I'm no expert (obviously) but one thing that strikes me about that schedule is there is no tapering until the very end. Every week you increase the total weekly mileage, the Hal Higdon one that I am following instructs you to increase the mileage for two consecutive weeks and then reduce it for the third, followed by two weeks of increased mileage followed by a reduction etc etc.
    No idea which way of training is best though!

My training this week:

Tue: 2.5m - 20m 18s (started slowly then increased the pace gradually)
    Wed: 3m - 27m 25s (steady pace)
    Thurs : 2m - 18 36 (steady pace but hilly course)
    Sun : 4.97096954m! (or 8k) - Adamstown race - 41m 41s

I was happy with my run in the Adamstown 8k, pretty stiff at the moment but as amadeus said, this is a good thing. The event was well organised although I expected there to be one watering station given the heat but alas none appeared. The startline was split into those intending to do it in under 30mins, under 40min, joggers and walkers. I was hoping to do it in under 45 but put myself in with the under 40s hoping to be dragged along - it seemed to work ;)

• Advertisement

Hey sub 430, good work again this week, I haven't got any training in at all, crackin time in the 8k, you must b thrilled with that I wud be over the moon with a time like that

Cheers OI,

Very happy if a bit sore and sunburnt! Earlier today I thought I had caught a bit of sun, now I see I caught a lot of sun. Oh well probably won't see it again for a while. Who would have thought to wear sunscreen based on the weather we've been having?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hehe, I got burnt through my suncream on my 9-miler this afternoon. I am pale as hell and burn easily (red-blonde hair and freckles, lol), so when I managed to sweat off all my suncream my face got charred. :(

Stupid Irish complexion :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Bally8 wrote: »
    Hi all

Just one question- does anyone know if I can just turn up at the UL track and do the 800s thing? quote]

Yes you can :) There is a great public coached track session on Tuesday evenings which you can do at your own level and is great for meeting people. The Track usually has som kind of activity going on, the pitch, sand, track etc... but its ope for anyone to do their own thing. Hope this helps

Great Im all excited. I imagine track running as being a thing real proper running folk do- and now I'll get the chance to do it too- woohoo!

• Advertisement

Just signed up for adidas race series, had to tell someone, OI has a new focus, well three actually

Best of luck OI, would love to run them too but on a stag for the 10k and the wedding for the half marathon.
    It's gonna be tough to get out for runs on those weekends :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just signed up for adidas race series, had to tell someone, OI has a new focus, well three actually
    Ive signed up for the latter two, we will have to wear carnations or something to identify ourselves as members of the thread.:p

Oryx wrote: »
    Ive signed up for the latter two, we will have to wear carnations or something to identify ourselves as members of the thread.:p

carnations sound good, would like to sign up to boardsAC sometime in the future and get the singlets, alternatively Oryx, you can identify me as the guy chewing mouthfuls of your dust

carnations sound good, would like to sign up to boardsAC sometime in the future and get the singlets, alternatively Oryx, you can identify me as the guy chewing mouthfuls of your dust
    It August, ye will all be flying by then. Ill be the one keeping up.:)

Too much stuff going on IRL and on here to keep a proper eye on everything!!

Munster Gal - that schedule looks really good. I particularly like the fact you have a decent length run in the middle of teh week and it builds nicely with a couple of decent length runs a few weeks out. I hear whats being said about the taper but you're dropping by 25% from week 13 to 14 so I'd be comfortable with it. However you don't have any fall back weeks - generally every 4th week or so there is a week with slightly lower mileage to give your body time to recover. Final point on the shorter run if you can alternate fartlek runs and strides every other week then it'll help build speed. And before you try and wriggle out with "I'm walk / running" you *will* run the whole way, wait and see!

Bally8 - don't talk rubbish, everyone on here is a proper runner!

I wanted to do the race series but the kids have too much on on Saturdays for me to be able to get away :mad: Funnily enough I've never had a problem recognising people away at races, like Boardar...

What's the plan for this weekend folks? We're not kicking in to proper work for a couple of weeks so you still have time to have some fun with the sessions.

Munster Gal - that schedule looks really good. I particularly like the fact you have a decent length run in the middle of teh week and it builds nicely with a couple of decent length runs a few weeks out. I hear whats being said about the taper but you're dropping by 25% from week 13 to 14 so I'd be comfortable with it. However you don't have any fall back weeks - generally every 4th week or so there is a week with slightly lower mileage to give your body time to recover. Final point on the shorter run if you can alternate fartlek runs and strides every other week then it'll help build speed. And before you try and wriggle out with "I'm walk / running" you *will* run the whole way, wait and see!

Thanks Amadeus. It's the program in the Non Runners Marathon Trainer. Do you think one of the Hal Higdon ones would be better? I'm following the pre training program from the same book at the moment (well I was until I got a bit lazy today :( )

Not at all, do what you're comfortable with. TBH there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between that and a HH schedule anyway and yours will cerainly get you there

So long as I finish I'll be happy. Even if I have to run/walk it :P

What's the plan for this weekend folks? We're not kicking in to proper work for a couple of weeks so you still have time to have some fun with the sessions.
    Cork relays on Monday, but no rest for the wicked because it's 4 weeks from Sunday to my half - so I'm looking to do 9-10 miles in the morning before it gets warm.

• Advertisement

I did 5.7 miles last night, tough in the sun, then I went on piste, woke up with my phone on my belly and prayed I didn't post anything in my drunken state, and there was some really tempting topics involving pat kenny elsewhere, amadeus is there any chance u could ban me for Friday evenings only, hope to get 5 in today and one more on sat or sun, my diet is rubbish though, I'm gonna really work on that. Prob b on piste again Sunday cause we invited families up for BBQ, need to sort out logistics of that today, right now though I feel like crap, giving up drink defo don't seem to be able to do moderation.

That's funny about boardar, I wouldn't be that perceptive I don't think.

One last thing, I know all the stuff about med advice, but I've developed a painless click in my left knee when I walk up the stairs, any ideas?

so I'm looking to do 9-10 miles in the morning before it gets warm.
    Um, this kinda became 10k this morning. :mad:

Did 5k last night, and 6 this morning. Time constraints. :(

If Im not achey tired (no rest interval this week) Ill do tomorrow or Monday as a long run.

I get that clicky knee thing too, but mine sound like theres a crisp packet in there.

Hi all,

Tues - 2.5m slow start progressively quicker - 20m 39
    Wed - 3m - tried to keep to 9min miles - 27 20
    Thurs - 2.5 - hilly - 22 52

I read through the McMillan website last night (very informative and clearly explained) so for my long run this morning I tried to keep HR between 140 and 155. I averaged 155 on the button but it was tough to keep the HR in that range, especially the last half mile where HR was around 160/165. It was warm and breezy on the way back. Very enjoyable.

Sat - 3m - HR between 140 and 155 - 28m 32.

On another note, I rechecked my resting heart rate and it's down to 50 from 57 so that's a good sign.

Looking forward to the proper training!

And congrats Oryx on joining the Mod ranks - I hope the coke and hookers don't impact on your training too much ;)

Ha.. Thanks.. Im waiting for the powah to kick in and up my speed. :)

Another week of Hal Hogdon Spring Training over, what a joy to run in the sun every day. Grey clouds looming now though so glad I got out this morning.

This week:

Tue: 2.5m - 23m30 - slow start finishing quickly
    Wed: 3m - 26m - steady pace
    Thur: 2.5m - 21m23 - threw in 4x50m strides for the craic

Long slow run today, I had mapped out 5.5 miles but took a wrong turn and ended up doing 6.5. Felt good though hamstrings were a bit tight near the end

Sat: 6.5m - LSR - 1h02m54 - tried to keep HR between 140/155, avg 151.

Question in relation to runners. I only use one pair, bought them in AK in January, Mizunos. I have found them really comfortable so far. Should I buy another pair before the real training starts or should I wait until we up the mileage and see are they still comfortable at longer distance OR is one pair enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Especially if you're running most days (i.e. marathon training) it's well worth having at least two pairs. It's good for the life of the shoes to let them dry out between wears and also makes it easier to rotate a new pair in if you buy them before the old pair is knackered. I wouldn't do a long run in a new pair until I'd worn them in on several short runs and I wouldn't run a long race in a pair unless I'd done a few long runs in them.

I think I'm up for a new pair of shoes soon, got about 350 miles on my Kayano 14's and it feels a little like they're starting to go. Can't really afford a pair of 15's though, at least not for another while. Blargle.

Anyway, this has been a good week, 25 miles already and I haven't done my long run yet :)

• Advertisement

Bad start to the week for me as I had (man)flu. However I got back on track on Wed and Thursday. Not sure if I will fit in my half hour walk for crosstraining today but definately on track to do my 5.5mile run tomorrow.

I went to John Buckley sports in Cork yesterday and cant say enough about how great it is there. The guy (Ian) that dealt with me was so full of knowledge and information, told me my foot type and picked out runners which he thought would suit me best. Great advice and all the time in the world to talk about running. An excellent experience.

Advertisement