Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-06-2008, 12:02   #1
al.

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Is anybody familiar with escrow as a method of paying for goods?? I am buying a car from Germany and the buyer wants me to pay by Escrow and he will get the car delivered to my address. If i am happy with it, the money will be released to him. Is this a safe way of paying somebody?? Thanks.
Advertisement
23-06-2008, 12:03   #2

Run away, it's a scam.

It's been covered in detail in other threads.

Here:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055310412

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055296392

Last edited by -Chris-; 23-06-2008 at 12:06.
23-06-2008, 12:05   #3
zAbbo

Scam
23-06-2008, 12:24   #4
bazz26

Did you actually see the car in person or test drive it? There is no way in hell I would just pay for a car I didn't inspect or test drive irrespective of how genuine the seller or payment method seems.

Last edited by bazz26; 23-06-2008 at 12:26.
Thanks from:
23-06-2008, 12:46   #5
Homer

It's mainly used in the US for real estate deals and the like. Never heard of it being used for car payments. Like others have said it could well be a scam so be very suspicious of it.
What's so special about the car that you can't get one in the UK if you feel like making a saving and importing?
Link if you have one?
Advertisement
23-06-2008, 12:55   #6
peasant

It is a scam, no if's or but's about it.

There is a whole lot of cars advertised at the moment that are suspisciously cheap and allegedly being sold out of Germany for some semi-plausible reason.

These cars do not exist, the ads are just clones of legitimate ones.

The old saying applies: If it looks to good to be true, it usually is.
23-06-2008, 13:01   #7

This has got to be a wind up. No one is that stupid? Pay for a car without seeing it???

By the way i have a new Ferrari 599 for sale. I`ll take 20k for it as I have just got a new job in Spain. I will email you as many pics of it as you want. Your bank details would be handy too so I can give you a luckpenny.
Thanks from:
23-06-2008, 13:31   #8

EBay discontinued Escro as a method of payment over three years ago, so it must be dodgy.
23-06-2008, 13:36   #9
rebel.ranter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
This has got to be a wind up. No one is that stupid? Pay for a car without seeing it???
You'd be surprised!
Advertisement
23-06-2008, 18:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
You'd be surprised!
Was telling a friend about this and he lost 3 grand a couple of year ago. First time he admitted it today, so they obvioulsy do get some suckers. I wouldnt mind but he is the tightest person I know.
23-06-2008, 18:21   #11
Anan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Was telling a friend about this and he lost 3 grand a couple of year ago. First time he admitted it today, so they obvioulsy do get some suckers. I wouldnt mind but he is the tightest person I know.
That's probably why he got pulled in, if you think about it.
23-06-2008, 18:48   #12
mickdw

This one is a scam im sure but the whole escrom way of paying is good if done through a reputable company. The problem arises when you are dealing with unknowns who most likely own the so called escrow company and so have access to your funds regardless. Some of these company are created to sound like well known ones to fool people into thinking their money is safe.
23-06-2008, 19:41   #13
nowuckenfurries

Bogus seller on Carzone.ie

I saw this ad on Carzone: http://www.carzone.ie/1101467

Nice 1 year old car, great price..... or maybe too great!!

I contacted the seller through carzone & got this reply:

Quote:
2007 Ford Focus LX Connection 1.4

Price : 5600 euro
Mileage: 9,538 miles
Year : 2007
Fuel : Petrol
Engine : 1.4
Transmission : Manual
Color : Blue
Model : 4 doors

Options :
One woman owner. Air Conditioning, Central Locking, CD Player, Electric Windows, Airbag, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, Power Steering.
Very good car! No repairs done. No stripes, the car was never damaged. This is first hand car, keeped in garage and maintained everytime at Ford service.

The tires have been changed recently, and there is no problem of engine, body, etc.
IRELAND registration. The car is at the moment in Liverpool, England.

I live in the USA, I bought the car for my sister who lived in Ireland and then moved to England. She died now, I took care myself of the funerals and I returned to the USA so I cannot take the car with me.
You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name. I know the law and I have all the documents ready for sale. The vehicle is registered under my name.
For payment I accept only cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale contract.
Thank you in advance and i hope you decide to make the deal.

Regards
So I emailed the seller back & asked for a telephone number & his reply minus a telephone number is:

Quote:
We will meet on 27.06.2008 in Liverpool. The sale will occur without problems, because I have all the documents ready.

I will not ask for money in advance, but you must reserve the car and I will come only if you are decided to buy it because USA is far... And as a guarantee that you really want to buy the car and you have money (in cash) for the car, I require that you arrange a deposit paid on your name for the price of the car. With regard to the deposit, there is a service very fast and easy to use, this name of service is Western Union, it is a service for sending the cash and you will find it in your city. All that you must do is to ask a person of confidence to go to Western Union with the cash and to send it to Liverpool to your name as receiver.

(I ask you for this because I want to be 100 % sure that you will be there and you are ready to buy it because last week I came for nothing. A man from Dublin said to me that he wants to buy it and I was in Liverpool, but he never came and never answered to my emails or telephone.)

After the transfer is made I want that you send me a scan of receipt of transfer by email, so I can check on the website of Western Union and if all is ok, I will come to Liverpool to conclude the business.
You will verify the documents and test the car and we will make the sale. We will go then to a Western Union office, you will take the money and give it to me.

PS: I said that another person must be the sender, not you because in Liverpool WU does not give you the money if the receiver is a also sender. You will be the receiver.

And the expenses of transfer (approx. 200 euros), you will deduce them when you will make the transfer.
This transfer is also good for you because you avoid the risk of a traveling with the money in pocket
I think this smells too fishy to be true....What do you folks think ??
23-06-2008, 19:44   #14
TestTransmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowuckenfurries View Post
I saw this ad on Carzone: http://www.carzone.ie/1101467

Nice 1 year old car, great price..... or maybe too great!!

I contacted the seller through carzone & got this reply:

So I emailed the seller back & asked for a telephone number & his reply minus a telephone number is:

I think this smells too fishy to be true....What do you folks think ??
You really have to ask?
Thanks from:
23-06-2008, 19:46   #15
Guy:Incognito

Of course it's a scam. (and thats without even reading your post)

Please someone make a sticky about this. If anything they are getting more fequent.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion