Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-10-2020, 11:59   #16
humberklog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanovich View Post
Imagine being addicted to heroin with your two kids also addicted. How could that happen?

These aren't heroin addicts.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 12:02   #17
stefanovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by humberklog View Post
These aren't heroin addicts.
They are just doing it because it is profitable? Obviously they care nothing of what people think!
09-10-2020, 12:07   #18
humberklog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanovich View Post
They are just doing it because it is profitable? Obviously they care nothing of what people think!
Well, yeah. That's by far and away most people tapping. Profitable in that it gives them extra cash.
I know more addicts that live ordinary lives, with jobs (even those that don't have a job wouldn't go begging as they're financially grand) and look after their families and keep a roof over their heads.
09-10-2020, 12:09   #19
ShatterAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoSound View Post
Can anything be done about them to move them on ? Don't see store managers giving a sht about them asking their customers for money...would the cops move them on or they even bother to approach them ?

It's a public space. They have every right to be there annoying as it may be. And the store managers don't have the authority to order ANYBODY to do anything. They don't have powers of arrest or to move people along from a public area.
09-10-2020, 12:13   #20
humberklog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterAlan View Post
It's a public space. They have every right to be there annoying as it may be. And the store managers don't have the authority to order ANYBODY to do anything. They don't have powers of arrest or to move people along from a public area.
What about the ones on petrol station forecourts and outside shopping centre entrances
(y'know like a Tesco where they own the car park/ entrance). Surely something could be done there by the owners?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 12:13   #21
The Continental Op

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterAlan View Post
So shops like Lidl and Aldi don't own their own carparks and space outside their stores?
Thanks from:
09-10-2020, 12:13   #22
Tzardine

I went into the Centra beside work a few weeks back (Dublin city).

I never give them anything. I dont even acknowledge them. They are a scourge.

But one of them stung me well the other day. Have to give him credit. He played the game well.

I was walking past him and got the usual any change speil. I said, sorry, dont carry any cash - you know the Covid situation and all.

He says to me - any chance of buying me a sandwich.

Smart ****er.

Its hard to turn down buying somebody some food if they say they are hungry. Even if they are a strung out drug user. So I bought him a sandwich.

Moral of the story - im going back to not acknowledging them.
09-10-2020, 12:16   #23
GarIT

I've seen thses around Celbridge and Maynooth getting collected in a €80,000 Range Rover Velar at around 8pm in the evenings.

They are entitled to the dole and HAP they have no need for anything more.

Last edited by GarIT; 09-10-2020 at 12:21.
09-10-2020, 12:17   #24
LollipopJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Happy View Post
It's like door to door sales people...if people would stop giving them money they would stop.
Charities are far from perfect but a hell of a lot better than giving your money to a beggar on the street.
Bit unfair to compare beggars with door to door sales people. I have a lot of respect for the sales guys, they go out and work hard to earn a living, a lot of the time for no guarantee of income.
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 12:18   #25
messrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzardine View Post
I went into the Centra beside work a few weeks back (Dublin city).

I never give them anything. I dont even acknowledge them. They are a scourge.

But one of them stung me well the other day. Have to give him credit. He played the game well.

I was walking past him and got the usual any change speil. I said, sorry, dont carry any cash - you know the Covid situation and all.

He says to me - any chance of buying me a sandwich.

Smart ****er.

Its hard to turn down buying somebody some food if they say they are hungry. Even if they are a strung out drug user. So I bought him a sandwich.

Moral of the story - im going back to not acknowledging them.
Was walking down the quays few weeks ago on a Saturday morning, guy stopped me and asked for money, like you I said , sorry I cant help I don't carry cash - he then came right up in my face and told me to walk back to a shop with him and buy him stuff on my card!
09-10-2020, 12:20   #26
Tzardine

Quote:
Originally Posted by messrs View Post
Was walking down the quays few weeks ago on a Saturday morning, guy stopped me and asked for money, like you I said , sorry I cant help I don't carry cash - he then came right up in my face and told me to walk back to a shop with him and buy him stuff on my card!
Feck that.

I bought my lad a sandwich cause he asked nicely.

Your lad should have been given a Glasgow kiss. Cheeky cnut trying to intimidate people.
(3) thanks from:
09-10-2020, 12:21   #27
humberklog

I'd know most of them around the south part of the city and some of them are funny fookers and sound when they know you.

One guy does have a cracking intro- "sorry gents, any change?"

Mumble, mumble, shuffle "no 'fraid not."

Beggar- ah balls me car insurance is crippling me and it's a pre '08 so the tax on it is mental.

Usually this gets a big laugh and (clever enough) gets him a few bob. This guy doesn't drive, isn't a junkie, has a nice pad in the Iveagh Trust buildings and isn't short for anything. When that joke works I even give a couple of quid.
09-10-2020, 12:25   #28
GarIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental Op View Post
So shops like Lidl and Aldi don't own their own carparks and space outside their stores?

Tesco in Celbridge move them on, and you'd think there would be a few around The Square in Tallaght but I haven't seen any. not sure of the difference.
09-10-2020, 12:25   #29
LollipopJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by humberklog View Post
I'd know most of them around the south part of the city and some of them are funny fookers and sound when they know you.

One guy does have a cracking intro- "sorry gents, any change?"

Mumble, mumble, shuffle "no 'fraid not."

Beggar- ah balls me car insurance is crippling me and it's a pre '08 so the tax on it is mental.

Usually this gets a big laugh and (clever enough) gets him a few bob. This guy doesn't drive, isn't a junkie, has a nice pad in the Iveagh Trust buildings and isn't short for anything. When that joke works I even give a couple of quid.
I volunteer with a rough sleeper team and those I see begging during the day when going to or from work I rarely see at night when I'm out with the team.

Those that are short money for dealers are sent to 'work' to get enough for their fix.
09-10-2020, 12:26   #30
ShatterAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental Op View Post

I can't speak for petrol station forecourts. I don't know if you can be trespassed from them.

But the space in front of shops is not the shop's property anymore that the space in front of your house is not your property....that is if your front door opens directly onto the street. The footpath is public space.

There might be a case for loitering or harassment or public nuisance laws but they're pretty vague.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion