Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggars sitting outside shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Junkies don't need money, they go to a clinic and get free drugs.
    There should be no reason for beggars to exist in 2020 what is a genuine beggar?
    Someone who uses donations to buy food?
    There's 5 soup kitchens in dublin and free food outside the gpo most days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I watched a documentary with Ed stafford .... he went to live on the streets for 60 days and he said at end of it if they really wanted to get off the street there was the opportunity to do that ..... they choose to live on street through drug addiction and a range of mental health issues .......

Theres a lot of opportunitys to living and begging on streets....

Watch the link below, it's very informative from a genuine guy.

https://youtu.be/wNWJCI7h0us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I watched a documentary with Ed stafford .... he went to live on the streets for 60 days and he said at end of it if they really wanted to get off the street there was the opportunity to do that ..... they choose to live on street through drug addiction and a range of mental health issues .......

Don't expect any responses from the virtue signalers on here. It doesn't suit their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

A person chooses to have mental health issues. Thats an interesting statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

paul71 wrote: »
    A person chooses to have mental health issues. Thats an interesting statement.

seen it happen

• Advertisement

1990sman wrote: »
    seen it happen

I am sure you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Bit unfair to compare beggars with door to door sales people. I have a lot of respect for the sales guys, they go out and work hard to earn a living, a lot of the time for no guarantee of income.

Door to door salespeople. Big complaint about them during Covid on RTE LIVELINE Apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Boards users are really showing themselves to up to be excessively “stingy”.

First we had the ‘tipping’ thread, then the constant “charity” bashing and now a very negative attitude to giving spare change to beggars on the street.

The anger behind the “attitude” is telling though. Quite telling. Thankfully, once again, this doesn’t reflect the opinions of people in the “real world”.

Why do you use quotation marks in random places? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Antares35 wrote: »
    Why do you use quotation marks in random places? Genuine question.

Just to annoy people.

small difference between some beggar on the street lookin for a euro and amy huberman on the late late fishin for likes. then there are the attention whores and the majority of samey people who all think they're different.

• Advertisement

Rothko wrote: »
    Just to annoy people.
    but the permutations are boundless...

"just" to annoy people

just "to" annoy people

just to "annoy" people

just to annoy "people"

endless fun

Romania has one of the smaller Roma populations of Europe. The Roma here are more likely to be Czech, Slovak or Hungarian.

While true about Romania, it's incorrect about the Irish based. The majority of ours are Romanian. Or I should say the majority that get arrested produce Romanian id. I believe the census backs me. Possible because Romania treat them like dirt so more inclined to leave. Italy has a problem with roma beggers and thief's as well. Spain had a sizeable amount as well but more likely to make they money from carnivals, markets, etc. My kids go to school beside a roma area so have a few friends that are Roma's.

I remember a mother asking me if we had gypsies in Ireland and did I like them. I didn't know whether to look at the floor or the ceiling but thankfully the wife got me out of answering.

Can anything be done about them to move them on ? Don't see store managers giving a sht about them asking their customers for money...would the cops move them on or they even bother to approach them ?

Spend the day in the ccj courts. They are arrested daily but begging on its own is not a crime.

Someone mentioned being told to go back and buy stuff in the shop. That's a crime. Aggressive Begging

Personally I'm not inclined to take any action. They are sitting there with an empty cup. Give or don't give, your an adult ffs!

The ones sleeping rough and beggibg at night I'm inclined to feel sorry for. Sandwich, cup of tea and 5 minutes to see how they are, it's not hard. Lot better than dragging someone down a laneway and mugging them.

Spend the day in the ccj courts. They are arrested daily but begging on its own is not a crime.

Correct unless it is aggressive or causing an obstruction.

i thought begging was made illegal except for a loophole on a bridge?

Correct unless it is aggressive or causing an obstruction.

Which is why I said "begging on its own". Actual aggressive begging is really just robbery though with different wording. Let's be honest, the POA wording was only designed to get around the court decision so it's fairly open.

There's no loophole for a bridge. What's this myth now?

Actual aggressive begging is really just robbery though. Let's be honest, the POA wording was only designed to get around the court decision.

There's no loophole for a bridge. What's this myth now?

wasnt beggin made illegal in some bylaw circa 2003 but somehow it didn't cover bridges and that's why any bridge in any town had them on it? wasn't this a thing for while?

Jamie?

No, it was not. 2011 criminal justice public order act.

2.—A person who, while begging in any place—
    (a) harasses, intimidates, assaults or threatens any other
    person or persons, or
    (b) obstructs the passage of persons or vehicles,

Begging is not illegal, to intimidate or cause obstruction while doing so is.

oh they changed it back so. was defo a bit where they managed to ban it but soros or mary robinson or dustin the turkey got it changed back for our new air-sharers.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

DD1518 wrote: »
    There's some genuine cases of people being down and out and I have no issue with helping them by buying a meal and toiletries etc. I recently met a 22yo girl in a sleeping bag on Westmoreland street obviously had drug issues but wasn't begging just sat in a sombre state so I went over and offered to buy her a meal and got a few bits like tampons toothbrush deodorant she couldn't be more appreciative and sat telling me all her life story which was truly very tragic it's heartbreaking what some people have to endure in life. What annoys me is the organised Roma families who are moved from place to place and then collected in the evenings in high end cars I seen one particular elderly lady in 6 or 7 different spots over the years and most recently in Malahide she sure gets about for someone who's supposed to be homeless. There can be a lot of ungrateful people on the streets also and have been told many a time to stick my offer of food and just give them money no way am I supporting an addiction.

Have to agree i bought someone a cup of tea and pastry a while ago, they were lying in a tent and it was freezing out, nobody with a bit of money would do that. Probably the best 4 or 5 euro I've spent in about 5 or 10 years, sadly I'm generally one with steps over these people all too often. (On a separate note why can't homeless put their rubbish in a bin? Always frustrates me when they don't or anyone for that matter).

Hope im never down on my luck after reading some of the comments on here

Which is why I said "begging on its own". Actual aggressive begging is really just robbery though with different wording. Let's be honest, the POA wording was only designed to get around the court decision so it's fairly open.?

I know I was agreeing with you niner.

• Advertisement

oh they changed it back so. was defo a bit where they managed to ban it but soros or mary robinson or dustin the turkey got it changed back for our new air-sharers.

No, it was never illegal.

wasnt beggin made illegal in some bylaw circa 2003 but somehow it didn't cover bridges and that's why any bridge in any town had them on it? wasn't this a thing for while?

Jamie?

Yes and no. Begging under the vagrancy act was declared unconstitutional as it is a cultural thing. Thank you cahir o'higgins. At a guess, I'm gonna say 2008ish?!?!

It was made illegal again in 2011 but only if it's accompanied by additional behavior such as 'aggression' or 'causing an obstruction' or in the vicinity of an ATM. There's no bridge exemption that I'm aware of but then as I said, it's not really my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The chancers are easy to spot. They're Roma. Don't give any money to them. It's very simple. Every country in Europe is tapped by them and they are organised. It's their way of life.

Others, you can make your choice. If you want to chuck a couple of coppers into their cup and help them out, do so. If you want to walk on by, do so.

I don't know what anyone gets out of being a miserable cunt about it though and pissing and moaning about people you know fuck all about.

riclad wrote: »
    Junkies don't need money, they go to a clinic and get free drugs.

Eh sorry, repeat that please. Are you suggesting that they go to the clinic and get free heroin?

They get methadone on prescription when they are in a drug treatment course.

Now, plenty also take heroin or sell the methadone but they don't just stroll in and get handeda spoon, lighter and needle ya lunatic! :)

Yes and no. Begging under the vagrancy act was declared unconstitutional as it is a cultural thing. Thank you cahir o'higgins. At a guess, I'm gonna say 2008ish?!?!

It was made illegal again in 2011 but only if it's accompanied by additional behavior such as 'aggression' or 'causing an obstruction' or in the vicinity of an ATM. There's no bridge exemption that I'm aware of but then as I said, it's not really my thing.

The myth comes from the toll that was on the ha penny bridge back in the 1850s or whenever it was built. When Dublin Corporation abolished the toll beggars started to beg on the bridge and it became a tradition. In fact it become a tradition on several bridges in Dublin and is not unique to Dublin or Ireland. The myth grew out of the tradition.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thank you cahir o'higgins.

Thought that name sounded familiar, from a recent extremely strange sounding incident that is awaiting tril in 2022.

The myth comes from the toll that was on the ha penny bridge back in the 1850s or whenever it was built. When Dublin Corporation abolished the toll beggars started to beg on the bridge and it became a tradition. In fact it become a tradition on several bridges in Dublin and is not unique to Dublin or Ireland. The myth grew out of the tradition.

Fascinating. Every day is a school day indeed.

Fascinating. Every day is a school day indeed.

The classic example is Charles bridge in Prague if you ever visit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The majority of begging in Dublin is organised crime.

Same in Cork City.

• Advertisement

Same in Cork City.

It may be organised but its not a crime, I never give any beggar money, but as other posters have said I have given a ham sandwich or a cup of coffee, any money I give is given to the Simon Community.

Advertisement