Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Impact of COVID-19 on motor industry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Am in financial services too and (bar this afternoon) will be working from home for the foreseeable. I have asthma and herself has also a respiratory condition so we cant take any risks.
    Will be self isolating until this blows over. We have 2 weeks of food at least stocked up so I dont envision even leaving the house for rest of month.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just thinking our local major car dealer group has something like 9 main dealer premises and cover about 5 franchises.
    How long could a business like that last if nobody is buying cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Picked up my new car today. Sales guy said that it has been dead, not just with footfall but with inquiries coming in online.

There is no doubt that when people are worried about the finances buying new cars is not high on the list. I imagine it will be a tough year for them.

I bought my car in October but due to factory delays only got it today - so could not really back out without losing the deposit I paid for a custom order. Was due to upgrade my wifes car next month, but cant see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

813347-FE-6964-4130-A315-0501795-FF7-F4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Stretch1432

Will car prices drip if theres a recession due to this virus ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I expect it will be similar to what happened in 2008/2009 and following years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I think it is starting to kick in now as got a hyundai in waiting for a petrol pump hoping it came today but did not and dealer said closing for 2 weeks OMG.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Stretch1432

SachaJ wrote: »
    I expect it will be similar to what happened in 2008/2009 and following years.

And what exactly happened back did they drop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

colm_mcm wrote: »
    813347-FE-6964-4130-A315-0501795-FF7-F4.jpg

On the ball! :D

Personally I'm hoping house prices drop... As long as I can keep my job and the banks keep lending.

60% drop in new car sales in 2009 from 2008, 20% dealers closed within a few years, manufacturers cut thousands of jobs, governments had to help manufacturers and stimulate new sales (scrappage schemes) and I'm sure car prices dropped a few quid as desperate dealers fought to survive....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

How could you not be aware?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I see Mooneys Group have decided to close for a while. Must be the first dealer to make the leap!

I see Mooneys Group have decided to close for a while. Must be the first dealer to make the leap!

Might be ahead of them all if the government do what the French are doing from tomorrow.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Anyone crazy enough to spend 65k on a ford ranger needs a lot more than a sanitation!

Ever driven one?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Do the fandango

I work in the trade for a large group.

The year on a whole will be a write-off, but definitely new registrations. It hadn’t started well and this will knock it further. If, and I mean IF, we as a nation can get a hold of this virus within 6 months we’ll be doing well. And if it comes back worse in the winter...well, no industry is safe. Either way spending on luxury items such as cars will not be a priority for many in 2020. Fred In A Sheds selling cars under and over €5k should be ok, but large groups and or premium brands are in for a rough ride.

I’m far from a scientist but I disagree with the poster that said this will knock back the environmental issues facing the industry. I think it’ll have the opposite effect. This is fundamentally going to change the world to a state that many, including myself, cannot fathom. I think health care and the environment will be two of the biggest issues governments face for years, definitely the 20s, for almost every nation, but most definitely ours. Mother Nature has hit the reset button. We really have no clue what impact the ripples of that will cause, but most people will care more, not less, about the environment.

They've already started but there will be a lot more redundancies coming. If each dealership can survive the next 3 months (minimum) with little to no income it will be on a skeleton staff. Dealer principles will be selling, service managers will be servicing. When (if) it does pick up dealerships will require at least 50% fewer sales staff for Q3/Q4. Redundancies are the only way some places will ever open again. Hard to tell who'll survive. Sales staff, marketing, service advisors, junior techs and newer valetors will be first to go. Literally a skeleton staff just on the off chance they sell some used stock and get some service bookings - IF they can open again before May.

Also that Ozone sterilization is apparently very effective and very cheap to run. But as someone said, as soon as one person sits in the car after the cleanse, there's bacteria in the car again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The rise in new car list prices has become very noticeable the past few years- look, I know they’re lots of Reg. issues for this but tbh they were heading beyond the realms of reality. A well specced Golf size car could easily hit €30k. I think there needs to be a bit of a resetting of the whole thing. PCP finance rates also a lot less affordable than the U.K. (I know we have VRT)
    Prices across the economy could do with a reset and that might stimulate demand as we get over this

I work in the trade for a large group.

The year on a whole will be a write-off, but definitely new registrations. It hadn’t started well and this will knock it further. If, and I mean IF, we as a nation can get a hold of this virus within 6 months we’ll be doing well. And if it comes back worse in the winter...well, no industry is safe. Either way spending on luxury items such as cars will not be a priority for many in 2020. Fred In A Sheds selling cars under and over €5k should be ok, but large groups and or premium brands are in for a rough ride.

I’m far from a scientist but I disagree with the poster that said this will knock back the environmental issues facing the industry. I think it’ll have the opposite effect. This is fundamentally going to change the world to a state that many, including myself, cannot fathom. I think health care and the environment will be two of the biggest issues governments face for years, definitely the 20s, for almost every nation, but most definitely ours. Mother Nature has hit the reset button. We really have no clue what impact the ripples of that will cause, but most people will care more, not less, about the environment.

They've already started but there will be a lot more redundancies coming. If each dealership can survive the next 3 months (minimum) with little to no income it will be on a skeleton staff. Dealer principles will be selling, service managers will be servicing. When (if) it does pick up dealerships will require at least 50% fewer sales staff for Q3/Q4. Redundancies are the only way some places will ever open again. Hard to tell who'll survive. Sales staff, marketing, service advisors, junior techs and newer valetors will be first to go. Literally a skeleton staff just on the off chance they sell some used stock and get some service bookings - IF they can open again before May.

Also that Ozone sterilization is apparently very effective and very cheap to run. But as someone said, as soon as one person sits in the car after the cleanse, there's bacteria in the car again.

Thunderbolt and lightning, very very frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

SachaJ wrote: »
    60% drop in new car sales in 2009 from 2008, 20% dealers closed within a few years, manufacturers cut thousands of jobs, governments had to help manufacturers and stimulate new sales (scrappage schemes) and I'm sure car prices dropped a few quid as desperate dealers fought to survive....

He meant the drop in prices, not sales volume

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They go pretty much hand in hand as both are driven by demand.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    He meant the drop in prices, not sales volume

I know exactly what he meant and I was trying to emphasise the other impacts apart from a drop in prices. Don't get me wrong, I'm on the market looking for a deal but I'm also acutely aware what a good deal means in these circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Some dealers have been left high and dry by Hire Drive companies who have cancelled orders on the back of this. Hard to blame them but the timing absolutely sucks for dealers.

Cars registered and ready to go and orders pulled.

Know of approx 1000 units and there is probably couple of thousand more.

All those will have to be resold before any new regs can be even considered.

Carnage is the word that's being bandied about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I was thinking about going to the UK to buy a used car later this year. If I can manage to hold on to my job, this could work out in my favour.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I was thinking about going to the UK to buy a used car later this year. If I can manage to hold on to my job, this could work out in my favour.

Sounds like a plan, watch the news at 9pm.

pablo128 wrote: »

It'll take a while to sink in and I don't think the penny has dropped in the UK yet. I contacted a dealer in the UK about a car today and was offered a 1% discount.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Not directly related but for a long time have been doing Tesco online delivery (about 2 years since the birth of my daughter). Last week and this week I have no nappies delivered as they were out of stock in Tesco. As I am a learner driver, and my brother cannot drive me for covid reasons, I ended up walking almost 10km around D22 looking for nappies. Home this evening but now I have a cold, how about that :)

So now have my new car sitting in the driveway til god knows how long, unable to book a driving test I'm due at the moment either. Cant even do a lesson as instructors have ceased doing so also. I know its only a piss in the ocean compared to most people, but still a bummer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well we`ve been informed that we`ll be on a 3 day week from Friday with that being reviewed weekly so who knows whats going to happen.

Not a good situation to be in with a mortgage,kids etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CianRyan wrote: »
    Personally I'm hoping house prices drop... As long as I can keep my job and the banks keep lending.

Well I build 'em for a living, and there's no room in new house pricing for a fall unless companies are prepared to make them loss leaders - easier just to mothball the sites and wait it out. Last time 'we' did that it took a decade and they came back to market at or above the boom. That model won't change, but the timescale might.

Fwiw, only 48% of a house price is the actual building of it....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

galwaytt wrote: »
    Fwiw, only 48% of a house price is the actual building of it....

That's interesting, what does the remainder go on?

eljono wrote: »

Materials?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

eljono wrote: »

Site cost, initial outlay re planning and professionals,
    And taxes

Advertisement