Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Impact of COVID-19 on motor industry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,693 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So how are people dealing with things like tyres or getting the car serviced? Both of which I could do with sorting out.

It's not helping that I'm not currently at home so can't get tyreland out or bring it down to George Dalton and the guys.

Any recommendations for places in/around Cork City and surrounds that's still operating?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So .....
    Any recommendations for places in/around Cork City and surrounds that's still operating?

Tyres...https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Tire-Dealer---Repair-Shop/Banks-Tyres-422531664583052/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Got an email on Friday from kearys in cork closed until further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

ba_barabus wrote: »
    While well intentioned, it's probably best not to name any business unless it can be confirmed. No point doing harm to struggling businesses unintentionally.
    ofcork wrote: »

Any confirmed source to link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

On their website too.

https://www.kearys.ie/offers/covid-19-closure/
    Kearys Motor Group has made the decision to close all our showrooms and After Sales departments from 6pm, Friday 20th March until further notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That seems to be the policy for a lot of retail businesses...Remain open until the government say otherwise OR a staff member contracts the virus.

Not so. Two Penneys employee's in our house, currently off ...& climbing the walls.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

ofcork wrote: »

Windsor Group also as per their website.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Not so. Two Penneys employee's in our house, currently off ...& climbing the walls.

IIRC they closed last Thursday, they didn't wait until they were told to close but they certainly could have closed much earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

I've a deposit down for a new car from a main dealership that is (or at least was) scheduled for delivery in June. I'm lucky enough to have a recession proof job that I can do from home so pretty confident my income isn't threatened at all, but still seems like a crazy time to be buying, and that's assuming the dealership can even meet the order and deliver the car.

Anyone in a similar position? Cancelling seems like the sensible thing to do but to be honest I don't want to phone and tell the guy I'm taking away his custom at this point in time.

quokula wrote: »

Anyone in a similar position? Cancelling seems like the sensible thing to do but to be honest I don't want to phone and tell the guy I'm taking away his custom at this point in time.

Ignoring Covid19 motor dealers have little to no issue ringing folk and telling them their car will be months late.

Sh1t happens, covid19 just happened, if you want to cancel then cancel if you don't mind losing deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

quokula wrote: »
    I've a deposit down for a new car from a main dealership that is (or at least was) scheduled for delivery in June. I'm lucky enough to have a recession proof job that I can do from home so pretty confident my income isn't threatened at all, but still seems like a crazy time to be buying, and that's assuming the dealership can even meet the order and deliver the car.

Why cancel if you’re financially secure with the decision to buy?
    We actually need people to buy products big and small to keep businesses viable.
    If we all stop buying goods and services it will only deepen the recession.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Why cancel if you’re financially secure with the decision to buy?..............

Maybe he's thinking along the lines of yourself?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112881277&postcount=2948

Why cancel if you’re financially secure with the decision to buy?
    We actually need people to buy products big and small to keep businesses viable.
    If we all stop buying goods and services it will only deepen the recession.

I've had people cancel entire buildings............

..and then pick up the phone months later as if we'd be standing there waiting around the whole time, and then wanting it in a panic.

I can do many things; altering time isn't one of them.

That said, for anyone, if the financial position you're in is now competely untenable, then it's better to cancel and yes, you will forfeit your deposit. You're still lumbering someone else to dispose of your order, so the price of that is forfeit, which just may be the lesser of several evils.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Augeo wrote: »
    Maybe he's thinking along the lines of yourself?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112881277&postcount=2948

Indeed, quite possibly is?
    I suppose I’ve mulled it over and come to the conclusion I outlined.
    When the car arrives will take delivery.
    I do think my point is valid that if we all stop buying goods and services from each other when we can afford them then we will plunge ourselves into an even deeper recession than is likely.

I do think my point is valid that if we all stop buying goods and services from each other when we can afford them then we will plunge ourselves into an even deeper recession than is likely.

No doubt. The VRT etc on new cars is significant.
    To be realistic though, you're not proceeding with your purchase in the spirit of keeping the country going :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

Indeed, quite possibly is?
    I suppose I’ve mulled it over and come to the conclusion I outlined.
    When the car arrives will take delivery.

I've been veering between cancelling and buying all weekend. I'm planning to speak to dealer and see what the options are. I'd like to see if they'd be willing to hold car until 202 plate , hopefully things might be a bit clearer by then (my job should be fine but who knows how the dominos will fall) . If they aren't willing to do that then I'll probably cancel and revisit again at the end of the year.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Do the fandango

if we all stop buying goods and services from each other when we can afford them then we will plunge ourselves into an even deeper recession than is likely.

Huge numbers of people use finance to buy their cars. It's all well and good to suggest that people that can afford things now should buy, but can they afford that payment over the next 36/48 months?

On the other side, a 201/202 car will hold a better resale value in years to come becuase there won't be that many of them out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

MM3 wrote: »
    I've been veering between cancelling and buying all weekend. I'm planning to speak to dealer and see what the options are. I'd like to see if they'd be willing to hold car until 202 plate , hopefully things might be a bit clearer by then (my job should be fine but who knows how the dominos will fall) . If they aren't willing to do that then I'll probably cancel and revisit again at the end of the year.

M

Until the car is registered, it's not costing the dealer anything at the moment as the manufacturer's have put supports in place.

Ask the dealer to delay delivery until all this is over and they probably won't bat an eyelid.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Until the car is registered, it's not costing the dealer anything at the moment as the manufacturer's have put supports in place.

Ask the dealer to delay delivery until all this is over and they probably won't bat an eyelid.

Do dealers not pay distributors until punter pays for the car?
    Are all manufacturers putting support in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Was planning on buying a 181~ vehicle in September. What do you think the impact will be to used cars? Will they hold their value well because of a shortage of new vehicles going into the second hand market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Do dealers not pay distributors until punter pays for the car?
    Are all manufacturers putting support in place?

I can't say for all manufacturer's, but at the moment most manufacturers have something in place that they will hold the stocking cost rather than the dealer.

Usually, dealers do have to pay the manufacturer/distributor when they take a vehicle in to dealer stock. Some manufacturers have allowed dealers to put dealer stock back in to manufacturer stock in the past week or so.

fifth wrote: »
    Was planning on buying a 181~ vehicle in September. What do you think the impact will be to used cars? Will they hold their value well because of a shortage of new vehicles going into the second hand market?

that is what happened in the last crash: for 3 years there was such a dearth of new vehicles sold, that the used market was firm.

Ode To The Motorist

Augeo wrote: »
    IIRC they closed last Thursday, they didn't wait until they were told to close but they certainly could have closed much earlier.

as distinct from all the retail that didn't close yet ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I'm hoping to take delivery of a new yoke next week. The sales guy said that it had been manufactured but that the factories were now reducing production. The supply of components from Spain and Italy will be reduced, for one thing.

BTW, if there's any bodywork refinishers (sprayers) in the West looking for work, we have a short term term demand which may be of use if you're on reduced/no work elsewhere.

PM me here.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

My car is coming up for NCT in three weeks.
    Are NCT still functioning normally?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Roger_007 wrote: »
    My car is coming up for NCT in three weeks.
    Are NCT still functioning normally?
    There is a current thread in this forum on this subject.

Not your ornery onager

galwaytt wrote: »
    as distinct from all the retail that didn't close yet ?

All the large retailers were appallingly slow to close their doors. Penneys, Debenhams etc were all dragging their heels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I got sent this today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

Included in list of "Essential Services ":
    retailers involved in the repair of motor vehicles, motorcycles and bicycle repair and related facilities (for example, tyre sales and repairs)

Advertisement