Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Impact of COVID-19 on motor industry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

SachaJ wrote: »
    Materials?

I'm assuming that the materials are part of the build i.e. the 48%. Land I suppose is a large and separate cost to the build, as well as planning, architects, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

galwaytt wrote: »
    Well I build 'em for a living, and there's no room in new house pricing for a fall unless companies are prepared to make them loss leaders - easier just to mothball the sites and wait it out. Last time 'we' did that it took a decade and they came back to market at or above the boom. That model won't change, but the timescale might.

Fwiw, only 48% of a house price is the actual building of it....

I hear ya, man. To be fair though I can't afford to look at new builds where I want to buy anyway so I'll but looking firmly in the "used" market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

How are workshops looking today lads? We seem to be blissfully ignoring that there is an issue. Full compliment of staff here and instructed to continue as so, place is very quiet, only around 30% of appointments are turning up, phones arent ringing, we arent even seeing franchise recoverys.

This cant keep up and really, I dont want to be here either. It's better than last week but there's still an incredible lack of respect towards social distancing and basic hygiene between staff. I know its breaking the habit of a lifetime but still.

I seen a fella sneezing out loud this morning and plenty of people leaning over my desk or having close conversations. We have internal non fire doors chocked open so people dont have to touch them too much and to ventilate but people keep unchocking them because of draught etc.

You can be sure house prices will fall but I doubt too many will change hands.

With thousands of folk unable to pay their mortgages banks will be limited enough in what they can lend.

Folk with a few quid might snap up some bargains but I don't see people looking to borrow 90% of the purchase price being too common. Much like 2008 to 2012.

mickdw wrote: »
    I long said things needed a major reset worldwide given the nonsense thats going around - animals being protected before gumans, green this, carbon that, tax everyone bullsh1t.
    I hope this virus can push the green bullsh1t back a generation.

I suppose the virus will make everyone thing twice about travelling anyway so in someways that might help the green policies. Spending will be effected so will consumerism etc .......... in line with economic activity reducing there'll be a fall in associated pollution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭jmreire

How are workshops looking today lads? We seem to be blissfully ignoring that there is an issue. Full compliment of staff here and instructed to continue as so, place is very quiet, only around 30% of appointments are turning up, phones arent ringing, we arent even seeing franchise recoverys.

This cant keep up and really, I dont want to be here either. It's better than last week but there's still an incredible lack of respect towards social distancing and basic hygiene between staff. I know its breaking the habit of a lifetime but still.

I seen a fella sneezing out loud this morning and plenty of people leaning over my desk or having close conversations. We have internal non fire doors chocked open so people dont have to touch them too much and to ventilate but people keep unchocking them because of draught etc.

I was in a hardware business this morning,and all the staff ( inc the owner ) were wearing building site hard hats,with plastic visor and face masks. The store shed at the rear was open, so you back in your vehicle, open the rear doors and tell the store man what you want ( from a distance ) he loads the vehicle, and you go to a hatch to pay...at the hatch, the credit card reader is outside the hatch so you put in your credit card enter the detail's, remove the card. Job done. And in Dunnes Stores earlier, at the check out's, there was a staff member walking up and down the row of check out's making sure that customers kept their distance.
    For now, this situation is still relatively new, and the general public is still on a learning curve ( despite all the publicity ) but give it a few more days, and people will be much more compliant when the consequences sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

jmreire wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores earlier, at the check out's, there was a staff member walking up and down the row of check out's making sure that customers kept their distance.

Unfortunately we need staff like this to instruct/force people as to what to do. My wife as in a supermarket yesterday and while in the queue she left a large space between herself and the person in front. An ignoramus jumped into the space and when tackled turned around to 'pretend' cough in her face. An extreme example, I admit, but still...

Unfortunately we need staff like this to instruct/force people as to what to do. My wife as in a supermarket yesterday and while in the queue she left a large space between herself and the person in front. An ignoramus jumped into the space and when tackled turned around to 'pretend' cough in her face. An extreme example, I admit, but still...

Incredible, but we still have stupid ignorant amadans like that.....I can guarantee you though, that as time goes on, and the death toll rises, this will be regarded and treated as attempted murder. Last week in a local chemists, to such "joker's" walked in and both of them coughed into their palms, and then blew in the direction of the staff saying " Now here's your virus for you" , The staff ( all girls ) were very frightened, and the chemist had to close the shop. Now it's a closed door operation. Jokers thought it was great craic......bastard's. I hope that the Guards follow up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Augeo wrote: »

With thousands of folk unable to pay their mortgages banks will be limited enough in what they can lend.

Folk with a few quid might snap up some bargains but I don't see people looking to borrow 90% of the purchase price being too common. Much like 2008 to 2012.

In a falling market, who'd want to/be able to sell ?

As for Banks, well they're going to be very slow to release funds to buy, as well...

Well all the valuers are closed now, so no transactions to buy or sell until this is over............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

I have just heard that the Windsor Group are closing for 6 weeks from tomorrow. Unconfirmed but from a source that should know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Mech1 wrote: »
    I have just heard that the Windsor Group are closing for 6 weeks from tomorrow. Unconfirmed but from a source that should know.

While well intentioned, it's probably best not to name any business unless it can be confirmed. No point doing harm to struggling businesses unintentionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I have 2 tyres going to a place tomorrow and arranged fitting and alignment no problem , only called this afternoon , on the other hand can't get a CVRT anywhere, booked up or closed, Land Rover parts depts allegedly open but none taking calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Lleyn elec

I wonder the effect of so many losing their jobs and PCP payments. How many missed payments before a car is taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

galwaytt wrote: »
    In a falling market, who'd want to/be able to sell ?

As for Banks, well they're going to be very slow to release funds to buy, as well...

Well all the valuers are closed now, so no transactions to buy or sell until this is over............

Pretty much what I said, except when this is all over and things resume there will be some properties changing hands and they'll no doubt do so for much less than they would have done two weeks ago.

Of course while businesses are shut none can change hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sounds pretty typical of people's queuing behaviour to be honest. You leave any sort of gap at all and some gob****e will take it as an invitation to jump in.

Lleyn elec wrote: »
    I wonder the effect of so many losing their jobs and PCP payments. How many missed payments before a car is taken?

Maybe, just maybe, they will start a scheme like the banks freezing mortgage payments for 3 mths for anyone out of work due to the virus???
    Re-possessing cars due to non payment, will only glut the market, and further devalue the car's.????:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Booked a service with Ford today. Booked till Thursday next week.

I suppose the virus will make everyone thing twice about travelling anyway so in someways that might help the green policies. Spending will be effected so will consumerism etc .......... in line with economic activity reducing there'll be a fall in associated pollution.

During the Chinese lock down, the pollution levels dropped dramatically, and the effect was visible from the International Space Station. Will be a good indication of how much they are recovering when their pollution level's start to rise again. But for the foreseeable future, I can't see it returning to pre-virus levels. Too much damage done to the world economy, the full extend which is still unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

jmreire wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe, they will start a scheme like the banks freezing payments for 3 mths for anyone out of work due to the virus???
    Re-possessing cars due to non payment, will only glut the market, and further devalue the car's.????:cool:

Sure i thought PCP was just taken out and paid for with the children’s allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Do the fandango

Give you a funny one; we're still open and our owner heard that our rival down the road are doing a special service offer for Nurses and Doctors, and now he's going mad that we've to do a better one for them. This is not a time to put rivalries aside for some it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Give you a funny one; we're still open and our owner heard that our rival down the road are doing a special service offer for Nurses and Doctors, and now he's going mad that we've to do a better one for them. This is not a time to put rivalries aside for some it seems!

Do doctors and nurses have time to get their cars serviced? It would be a nicer thought to offer this after it's all blown over to show appreciation.

I don't think any will be having work done that can be postponed. But if they need their car to get to work, and something happens to their car, garages will be open and willing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I don't think any will be having work done that can be postponed. But if they need their car to get to work, and something happens to their car, garages will be open and willing to help.

That's a great gesture in fairness.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

We are still open and have no intention of closing unless there's government instruction.

Getting a lot of people delighted we are open so we can reset their tyre pressures and sort other niggly issues they usually dont have time for :rolleyes: service bookings are starting to turn up for their appointments again as this becomes the new accepted norm.

On site, we had a meeting yesterday to be told we were consuming too much of the sanitisation products, to "go easy" on them ffs. We have very lax procedures in terms of hygiene and distancing compared to other businesses I've seen.

We have a number of staff in self isolation after returning from travel which isn't a huge threat to us at work but we have a staff member who was in work, then had symptoms and is now in isolation waiting on results. I know we need our jobs and want to try and maintain normality but the whole thing just seeks reckless to me.

Despite the lower than usual trade, I asked could I take a weeks annual leave next week (to see how this plays out) and I was told no, too short notice.

That seems to be the policy for a lot of retail businesses...Remain open until the government say otherwise OR a staff member contracts the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

When eventually normality returns there could be a serious shortage of new cars to be had. Pretty much all EU car producers have closed all factories. I'd imagine will take them a while to restart.
    Not sure about kia/Hyundai (S. Korea) Lexus (Japan) and the few Toyota models still made in Japan.

scooby77 wrote: »
    When eventually normality returns there could be a serious shortage of new cars to be had. Pretty much all EU car producers have closed all factories. I'd imagine will take them a while to restart.
    Not sure about kia/Hyundai (S. Korea) Lexus (Japan) and the few Toyota models still made in Japan.

An even bigger question is will there be money available to buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Factory I work in is an OEM supplier of parts to some major car makers, mostly in Europe and the US. As in vast majority they're closing down, we expected the same here.

As I currently am in quarantine, I have no direct contact with management, but got a message earlier today - as expected, factory will work reduced hours next week and shut down completely the following week, nobody knows for how long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

We are still open and have no intention of closing unless there's government instruction.

Getting a lot of people delighted we are open so we can reset their tyre pressures and sort other niggly issues they usually dont have time for :rolleyes: service bookings are starting to turn up for their appointments again as this becomes the new accepted norm.

On site, we had a meeting yesterday to be told we were consuming too much of the sanitisation products, to "go easy" on them ffs. We have very lax procedures in terms of hygiene and distancing compared to other businesses I've seen.

We have a number of staff in self isolation after returning from travel which isn't a huge threat to us at work but we have a staff member who was in work, then had symptoms and is now in isolation waiting on results. I know we need our jobs and want to try and maintain normality but the whole thing just seeks reckless to me.

Despite the lower than usual trade, I asked could I take a weeks annual leave next week (to see how this plays out) and I was told no, too short notice.

I was collecting parts from where I used to work, wasn't one but surprised social distancing non existent,lads coughing and sneezing and no intention of closing. Lads in the workshop aren't happy with staying open but the office staff don't have to hop into strangers cars so their happy to stay working. Heard a good few places have cut down working days and looking to close next week

Advertisement