Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Impact of COVID-19 on motor industry?

Options

Comments

I suppose we are in a recession......... folk with a few quid in a recession tend to hold on to it.

folk without a few quid, well, they won't be buying a new car either one would imagine.

New car sales will fall, quite significantly IMO and using just common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭jmreire

Augeo wrote: »
    I suppose we are in a recession......... folk with a few quid in a recession tend to hold on to it.

folk without a few quid, well, they won't be buying a new car either one would imagine.

New car sales will fall, quite significantly IMO and using just common sense.

Yes, and in a recession, priorities will change rapidly. And not just in cars either. but in everything. As a matter of fact, cars will be in the front line in hit taking, because people will just hold on to what they have, and once serviced, modern cars are capable of many more miles than circumstances dictate we change them at in Ireland. Ireland is an anomaly in the car world...no other Country that I know of puts such restriction's on how long you keep a car for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,941 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jmreire wrote: »
    Yes, and in a recession, priorities will change rapidly. And not just in cars either. but in everything. As a matter of fact, cars will be in the front line in hit taking, because people will just hold on to what they have, and once serviced, modern cars are capable of many more miles than circumstances dictate we change them at in Ireland. Ireland is an anomaly in the car world...no other Country that I know of puts such restriction's on how long you keep a car for.

Loads have way more restrictions look into Japan Singapore and others

Cyrus wrote: »
    Loads have way more restrictions look into Japan Singapore and others

Yes, but would you consider the Irish economy and infrastructure road's etc. to be on the same level as them? Population of Japan is 126 Million, Ireland 5 Million, so its not exactly similar situation or conditions. You could use the same comparison on many items / lifestyle's aside from cars, comparing Ireland to either Japan or Singapore. But that does not change my opinion that modern cars will travel for many more miles / years than what is considered their lifespan here presently. If this recession turns out to be even half as bad as it appears it will be, then, pretty soon we will be finding out just how long car can last.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Got confirmation that Windsor show rooms will be back open on Wednesday along with garages on Monday.

• Advertisement

Yes, but would you consider the Irish economy and infrastructure road's etc. to be on the same level as them? Population of Japan is 126 Million, Ireland 5 Million, so its not exactly similar situation or conditions. You could use the same comparison on many items / lifestyle's aside from cars, comparing Ireland to either Japan or Singapore. But that does not change my opinion that modern cars will travel for many more miles / years than what is considered their lifespan here presently. If this recession turns out to be even half as bad as it appears it will be, then, pretty soon we will be finding out just how long car can last.

Don’t disagree but your point was incorrect that’s all!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There is a sh!tload of new cars waiting to be sold, so some incentives to buyers should help with that.

Not your ornery onager

Don’t disagree but your point was incorrect that’s all!

Well, if pointing out that my point was incorrect makes you happy.....work away. I'm sure that Boards is a fertile ground for "pointing out" incorrect ( in your view) statement's.
    Have fun, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭scooby77

Friend living in France sent me link below. Toyota France have knocked serious cash off models eg €5000 off Camry! Now I know Toyota not as popular there as here, and tax difference etc, but that's serious dosh. Shows Toyota Global/Europe/France on the ball. Wonder if Toyota Ireland will follow suit.

https://www.toyota.fr/current-offers/?select=part

Bloomberg reporting VW offering big incentives in Germany

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-05-11/vw-steps-up-efforts-to-lure-german-buyers-back-to-showrooms

Wonder if Irish operation of two big sellers will follow suit?

scooby77 wrote: »
    Friend living in France sent me link below. Toyota France have knocked serious cash off models eg €5000 off Camry! Now I know Toyota not as popular there as here, and tax difference etc, but that's serious dosh. Shows Toyota Global/Europe/France on the ball. Wonder if Toyota Ireland will follow suit.

https://www.toyota.fr/current-offers/?select=part

Bloomberg reporting VW offering big incentives in Germany

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-05-11/vw-steps-up-efforts-to-lure-german-buyers-back-to-showrooms

Wonder if Irish operation of two big sellers will follow suit?

WOW,,, there are some serious incentives there. I just checked a Toyota Camry Hybrid on Carsireland, and the price is €44'810. The same car according to your list, is €32'000. But without having the exact specs for each car, it's hard to know exactly what the saving would be. But I'm sure it will be substantial. It mentions in one of your links ( VW one) that if sales don't pick up in this quarter, they will have to consider shutting down factory's. Not good news by any mean's.

• Advertisement

Well, if pointing out that my point was incorrect makes you happy.....work away. I'm sure that Boards is a fertile ground for "pointing out" incorrect ( in your view) statement's.
    Have fun, :D

Tighten up your loose chat and I won’t have to :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

What restrictions does Ireland put on the length of time you own a car ? Is there some law out there we are unaware of ?

swarlb wrote: »
    What restrictions does Ireland put on the length of time you own a car ? Is there some law out there we are unaware of ?

Legally, no there is no time limit as such, and when they reach 30 years old, they are classed as vintage. But motorists in Ireland are " channelled" into buying newer cars, mainly due to insurance restrictions. Once a car reaches and passes the 10 year old mark, it can be difficult to get insurance, depending on the insurance company. Some company's will continue to insure a car which is even 20 years old, provided it has been owned by the same person all that time. But If I buy a 20 year old car, then I may have a problem. Other insurance company's have cut-off point, beyond which they will not insure you. And this can vary from company to company. There is a motor insurance forum on boards, check it out. So while legally, and according to the law of the land, there is no age limit on cars, but if you cannot get insurance, then legally you cannot drive on public road's. Other Country's have different motor insurance requirements, where the mechanical condition is the priority, and not the age.

Tighten up your loose chat and I won’t have to

MOD'S, feel free to move or delete if you see fit.

Here's a bit of tightening up for you so, according to EU statistics for 2019, use of cars by Country and age. Out of the 27 member states, taking 10 years as the standard,17 have an average age of more that 10 years, varying from 10.1 to 16.9. If you were to include the whole world, I'm pretty sure that the variation would be much greater ( and taking Japan, Singapore etc as a base point ). So, obviously there are Country's which are much less restrictive than Ireland ,otherwise how do you explain the difference for a higher rate of older cars on the road? Maybe you need to check the stats before making "loose chat" allegations?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,332 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think that chart is more a reflection of general ecomony and wealth in each country than an indication of insurance policy although id agree that people are certainly being steered away from 15+ year old cars here.

MOD'S, feel free to move or delete if you see fit.

Here's a bit of tightening up for you so, according to EU statistics for 2019, use of cars by Country and age. Out of the 27 member states, taking 10 years as the standard,17 have an average age of more that 10 years, varying from 10.1 to 16.9. If you were to include the whole world, I'm pretty sure that the variation would be much greater ( and taking Japan, Singapore etc as a base point ). So, obviously there are Country's which are much less restrictive than Ireland ,otherwise how do you explain the difference for a higher rate of older cars on the road? Maybe you need to check the stats before making "loose chat" allegations?

You are limiting it to the eu now

You made a baseless comment get over it and stop digging

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Well i drive a 1989 car fully taxed insured and 2 year nct.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Well i drive a 1989 car fully taxed insured and 2 year nct.

So at 1989, its 31 years old,. and qualifies for vintage tax. What bracket is it insured under? My friend has a 1995 Toyota Corolla, which is now 25 years old. He bought it s/h about 1998, and has driven it since,,,something like 400'000 miles on it, passed its' NCT just before the virus shutdown, and it's still his daily vehicle. No bother with getting insurance. But if now if he want's (for example) to sell it, then any new driver will have problem getting insurance on it due to it's age.

Legally, no there is no time limit as such, and when they reach 30 years old, they are classed as vintage. But motorists in Ireland are " channelled" into buying newer cars, mainly due to insurance restrictions. Once a car reaches and passes the 10 year old mark, it can be difficult to get insurance, depending on the insurance company. Some company's will continue to insure a car which is even 20 years old, provided it has been owned by the same person all that time. But If I buy a 20 year old car, then I may have a problem. Other insurance company's have cut-off point, beyond which they will not insure you. And this can vary from company to company. There is a motor insurance forum on boards, check it out. So while legally, and according to the law of the land, there is no age limit on cars, but if you cannot get insurance, then legally you cannot drive on public road's. Other Country's have different motor insurance requirements, where the mechanical condition is the priority, and not the age.

Okay... so, basically what you wrote is not exactly the reality, in fact Ireland is quite relaxed in many ways regarding car ownership...
    As yet...
    We have no restrictions as to how you can use your car, and I'm talking emissions based punitive charges like London for example.
    We have a reduced tax rate for older cars, so rather than 'punish' people who like their cars 'old' we actually reward them.
    While I agree that tax rates are somewhat excessive for cars 'in between' , that's life... swings and roundabouts.
    There are plenty of insurance companies that will insure your '20 year old car' as a classic, and not only at a reduced rate, but several cars at a reduced rate. I myself have 2 90's cars insured this way.

There are far more 'punitive' regimes around the world than Ireland...

So at 1989, its 31 years old,. and qualifies for vintage tax. What bracket is it insured under? My friend has a 1995 Toyota Corolla, which is now 25 years old. He bought it s/h about 1998, and has driven it since,,,something like 400'000 miles on it, passed its' NCT just before the virus shutdown, and it's still his daily vehicle. No bother with getting insurance. But if now if he want's (for example) to sell it, then any new driver will have problem getting insurance on it due to it's age.

You don't know that, If I bought his 1995 Corolla, I'd have zero problems getting it insured (once it's NCT'd of course)

And there are plenty out there like me who could get it insured (including a few who'd actually want a 1995 Corolla in the first place)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Luckily garage insurance covers me for any car.

You are limiting it to the eu now

You made a baseless comment get over it and stop digging

Nope....only digging I'm doing is in the garden. Read my comment again. Sure, the stats come from the EU., but I mention the whole world as well if you read it again, just I have better things to do than searching world wide stats, which would show an even greater discrepancy than the 27 EU Country's.
    Anyway, here it is again:-

"Out of the 27 member states, taking 10 years as the standard,17 have an average age of more that 10 years, varying from 10.1 to 16.9. If you were to include the whole world, I'm pretty sure that the variation would be much greater ( and taking Japan, Singapore etc as a base point ). "

greasepalm wrote: »
    Luckily garage insurance covers me for any car.

Yes, you are lucky to have it, I know the feeling, and not wondering " Am I insured or not " :D

Okay... so, basically what you wrote is not exactly the reality, in fact Ireland is quite relaxed in many ways regarding car ownership...
    As yet... "Exactly !! But I shudder when I think Budget 2021, and Covid -19.....
    We have no restrictions as to how you can use your car, and I'm talking emissions based punitive charges like London for example.
    Sure they have higher emission zones in London, but that does not mean that they use age of vehicle for insurance purposes. They don't, just the MOT.
    We have a reduced tax rate for older cars, so rather than 'punish' people who like their cars 'old' we actually reward them.
    You are speaking about classic / vintage cars, these cars, by definition, all of their "working" lives will have been taxed to the hilt based on CC, so definitely should get a break, "in their old age "!!! .
    While I agree that tax rates are somewhat excessive for cars 'in between' , that's life... swings and roundabouts. While the Nr of pre 2008 cars on the roads continues to fall,they are still quite numerous, and a segment of Irish society continues to be burdened with high motor tax. The only advantage from this arrangement is that because of the high tax costs, it's now possible to buy for comparatively small money, a high class high spec car, which would have been extremely expensive to buy when new.
    There are plenty of insurance companies that will insure your '20 year old car' as a classic, and not only at a reduced rate, but several cars at a reduced rate. I myself have 2 90's cars insured this way.
    Sure vintage insurance is not a problem,,and you can insure several vehicles, as you have. Problem with vintage /classic insurance is that you have to meet certain condition's,
    Be over 25 Years of age.
    Own another car which is covered by "normal" insurance,
    Mileage is limited to 10'000 Klms per year, or 200 klms per week.
    This insurance is basically a hobby insurance,, and not intended for everyday normal usage. Try to get "Normal" insurance on either of your two classics, and see how you get on. ( BTW, out of my own personal interest in Classics / vintage cars, what are they? )

There are far more 'punitive' regimes around the world than Ireland...
    Sure there are as in everything, And there are far less punitive one out there too.

.no other Country that I know of puts such restriction's on how long you keep a car for.

This is what you said

It was pointed out that was incorrect

Nothing more nothing less

Sure there are as in everything, And there are far less punitive one out there too.

How do you type a post in 'bold type'.... ?? Does it take long ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How do you type a post in 'bold type'.... ?? Does it take long ?

Put b in brackets []then type your post and finish with /b in the same brackets

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Well lads, tomorrow is the bige day :pac:

Man your ozone machines, polish your plexiglass!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

What's the story on travelling to a garage that's more than 5k from home from tomorrow onwards ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What's the story on travelling to a garage that's more than 5k from home from tomorrow onwards ?

Just do it. It's complete and utter nonsense.

Advertisement