Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Impact of COVID-19 on motor industry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

sc86 wrote: »
    Because of the lack of notice given last friday some familys have no car at all.
    Some cars were stripped last friday and awaiting parts , parts not due till monday etc , mechanics were not allowed open monday.

They should have gave a little notice to prepare
    I know some mechanics went in saturday / monday to finish off jobs , but technically there were not allowed.

Im not again the lockdown at all , we need to fight this , but i think its a area needs looked at

Correct me if I'm wrong, but garages (I think) are not allowed to be open for public. If they decide to finish a repair behind closed doors, that will do no harm. Grey area though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

joujoujou wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but garages (I think) are not allowed to be open for public. If they decide to finish a repair behind closed doors, that will do no harm. Grey area though.

We were told that we couldn't work at all even behind closed doors.
    Wouldn't have been much use anyway as most of my technicians would have to travel outside of their 2 km limit to come into work and since the motor industry isn't classed as essential they wouldn't be allowed to travel for work purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Wouldn't have been much use anyway as most of my technicians would have to travel outside of their 2 km limit to come into work.

The 2 km limit only applies to when you're going walking. You're allowed exceed it for travelling to work (where the work is strictly necessary and cannot be done at home of course) and even to go to the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

Fair enough, thanks for clarification. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The 2 km limit only applies to when you're going walking. You're allowed exceed it for travelling to work (where the work is strictly necessary and cannot be done at home of course) and even to go to the shops.

The 2km is for all activity outside your home not just exercising or walking.

You can travel beyond that for work but only if your work is one of the industries that is deemed "essential" and unfortunately the motor industry is not.

• Advertisement

It's for shopping for essentials also.

Augeo wrote: »
    It's for shopping for essentials also.

But were discussing the motor trade here.Heres the relevant legislation.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/#community-health
    Transport and Travel

Travel restrictions will be implemented as follows:

• there will be a nationwide restriction on travel outside of 2 kilometres from your home, except for the restrictions listed above
    • public transport and passenger travel will be restricted to those who are buying food or medicines, carers, going to medical appointments and essential workers
    • travel to Ireland's offshore islands is limited only to residents of those islands
    • local authorities will relax on-street parking laws to meet the travel needs of essential workers
    • the arrival of personal non-national maritime leisure vessels is banned (except to exceptions as 'port in a storm')

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Plenty of families around here 4 km or more from the nearest shop.

Got my car serviced over 2 weeks ago- it needed a service and also some minor work- got both done at same time- I had anticipated this might happen as I had just started working from home myself the previous week so was lucky to get it in- even back then, I brought a load of wipes with me - in fairness the mechanic had gloves and mask when handing back the car- I probably wouldn’t have put it in for a service knowing what I know now about how the virus remains active on surfaces etc for a long time.

But were discussing the motor trade here.Heres the relevant legislation.......

I know all about the legislation.
    The bolded pieces are what I commented on.

• Advertisement

O.A.P wrote: »
    Plenty of families around here 4 km or more from the nearest shop.

He doesn't mean all activities you see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It seems to be something a lot of people seem to be struggling with. The motor industry is closed. All sales departments are closed. All parts and service departments are closed.

There are two exceptions with service departments. Those with blue light contracts and if a workshop gets a request for help from frontline worker with an emergency (car wont start/ breakdown/ accident etc).

Word is though basically every fred in the shed is still open just working behind closed doors, as are most motor factors. Distribution for a lot dealers is severely limited but main dealers would already be carrying a lot more stock than independent workshops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

You can travel outside a 2km radius for shopping, The 2km limit is specific to outdoor exercise.

Vehicle repairs can operate on an emergency breakdown service, And staff carrying out such activities are allowed to travel, I've come across check points with no issue and so has one of my colleagues. You are required to carry a letter from your employer and photo ID, but once you explain what you are doing there is no issue.

What i am seeing is an increase in cars not starting, Car are being left for extended periods and any weaker batteries are being shown up. Ive done 2 batteries today and might not see 2 a fortnight normally.

For want to a better word i am nearly Triaging calls, By finding out 1) Nature of the issue, 2) Drivers Employment 3) Location of the vehicle, then dealing with them as appropriate, Which could mean anything from organising a mechanic and recovery to just suggesting they get into us once this is all over.

We have even had call form someone looking for an oil filter because he had nothing else to do and wanted to change his oil. Safe to say he was told that we wouldn't be in a position to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

it makes no sense that a off licence is essential but getting your car fixed when broke is not

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

It seems to be something a lot of people seem to be struggling with. The motor industry is closed. All sales departments are closed. All parts and service departments are closed.

There are two exceptions with service departments. Those with blue light contracts and if a workshop gets a request for help from frontline worker with an emergency (car wont start/ breakdown/ accident etc).

Word is though basically every fred in the shed is still open just working behind closed doors, as are most motor factors. Distribution for a lot dealers is severely limited but main dealers would already be carrying a lot more stock than independent workshops.

You can also disregard the stay at home guidelines if you have a garage on Malahide Road Industrial Park , Malah***de Mo***s. Doors wide open, customers and staff in close contact, stock for sale moved onto footpath daily. Complete disregard for any rules or anyone’s health & safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

911s wrote: »
    You can also disregard the stay at home guidelines if you have a garage on Malahide Road Industrial Park , Malah***de Mo***s. Doors wide open, customers and staff in close contact, stock for sale moved onto footpath daily. Complete disregard for any rules or anyone’s health & safety.

So car battery died and possible transfer of virus to customer:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

greasepalm wrote: »
    So car battery died and possible transfer of virus to customer:eek::eek::eek:

We could all say that very little chance of passing on virus in our respective trades but we are all in this together and supposed to abide by the same rules. Some don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭saabsaab

BarryD2 wrote: »
    People will still need to get around when all this blows over. Think a substantial ‘carbon tax’ on petrol & diesel might be ushered in on back of this though. Especially with current drop in oil prices. Convenient timing to get over the backlash and passed off as dealing with virus issues.

That would be a good idea. It could be combined with an abolition of our crazy dual tax systems as a sweetener and put the tax loss on fossil fuels. Simpler, fairer, greener and easier to administer.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

We are operating a emergency repair operation only to make sure any customers who are front line staff can keep there cars going. Only had a very small number of requests this week most people have taking the advice and are staying at home unless necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

I would think some of the smaller operations in small towns etc would answer if people gave them a call to be honest. A car can be pretty essential for people living in the countryside 20miles away from a house or more from their nearest town for supplies.

I'm only thinking absolute emergencies now where a car broke down etc , not getting your car serviced etc.

I'm not advising it whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭saabsaab

enumbers wrote: »
    We are operating a emergency repair operation only to make sure any customers who are front line staff can keep there cars going. Only had a very small number of requests this week most people have taking the advice and are staying at home unless necessary.

Most cars are off the road for now. Fuel costs will be down for most and car sales are down for March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

When will we see the effect on motor sale prices? Prices seem fairly steady so far. Many people out there still looking for a second hand bargain I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

saabsaab wrote: »
    Most cars are off the road for now. Fuel costs will be down for most and car sales are down for March.

Would you have a link for these amazing revelations?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

A link is hardly required to confirm what we all already know to be fact.

We are on a lockdown
    Most of us are not working and therefore staying at home

So yes, most cars ARE off the road now and fuel costs will obviously be down for most of us as a consequence

Of course car sales are down for March, the dealers are all closed!!!

Can't really see what's so hard to understand about that.

carzony wrote: »
    When will we see the effect on motor sale prices? Prices seem fairly steady so far............

Prices are as they were prior to Covid19.
    Prices won't move until the market resumes to some extent, even at that loads of places will keep their prices high and only the folk purchasing will know how much was knocked off.

There's likely to be more visible discounts on some new stuff rather then second hand stuff IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Article in the Irish Times earlier in the week. New car sales down 63% from March 2019. Car imports down 48% I think. Can't remember the exact numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

turbostan wrote: »
    A link is hardly required to confirm what we all already know to be fact.

We are on a lockdown
    Most of us are not working and therefore staying at home

So yes, most cars ARE off the road now and fuel costs will obviously be down for most of us as a consequence

Of course car sales are down for March, the dealers are all closed!!!

Can't really see what's so hard to understand about that.

Whoooooosh.....

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

carsfan2 wrote: »

Payment deferrals, plus a proposal for a VRT break.
    Renault / the distributor aren't going to dig deep as yet so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Do the fandango

I think most brands will do some form of payment deferral. If anything I’d say 3 months will be the minimum.

Advertisement