Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

So we should stop opening fast food outlets because some people have problems with food and aren’t brought up eating everything in moderation?

Right

How many more fast food outlets are needed in Waterford?

My question is can't people cook at home and yes it is nice to eat out
    but McDonalds!

I passed McDonalds on Sunday and I was amazed at the volume of traffic
    on the Cork Road queuing at the drive through? For what?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

but McDonalds!

I passed McDonalds on Sunday and I was amazed at the volume of traffic
    on the Cork Road queuing at the drive through? For what?

for relatively cheap, addictive food

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

but McDonalds!

In fairness waterford does have its fair share of ‘normal’ restaurants too, it’s not all fast food ones. We’re quite lucky with the variety of restaurants in the city I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

So we should stop opening fast food outlets because some people have problems with food and aren’t brought up eating everything in moderation?

Right

It's an interesting one because you don't tend to see the same volume of fast food outlets on the continent, and definitely not in prime city streets like you see in Ireland.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    for relatively cheap, addictive food

And what does that say about the quality of the food that you're eating?

http://www.mcdonalds.ie/iehome/food/more_food/eurosaver.html

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »

It's an interesting one because you don't tend to see the same volume of fast food outlets on the continent, and definitely not in prime city streets like you see in Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/obesity-in-irish-men-increasing-at-alarming-rate-1.3610457

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Austin Gleeson.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

And what does that say about the quality of the food that you're eating?

http://www.mcdonalds.ie/iehome/food/more_food/eurosaver.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBlev8r_iCo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Well tbh we are fairly short changed with fast food outlets in Waterford. A city and we don’t even have a Burger King. We have 2 McDonald’s miles away from eachother, a Supermacs or two and a thumb size abrakabra in city square, then a few independent chicken shops down on John street.

Oh and a KFC many people have never even visited..
    Dublin on the other hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We used to have a Burger King - it was in Peter Street.

On to fresh stuff for tQM to talk down - the development of the Ard Ri site which had been in question due to a competing claim on the site can go ahead, the other party lost the court action.

http://www.munster-express.ie/business/court-challenge-for-ard-ri-fails/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

We used to have a Burger King - it was in Peter Street.

On to fresh stuff for tQM to talk down - the development of the Ard Ri site which had been in question due to a competing claim on the site can go ahead, the other party lost the court action.

http://www.munster-express.ie/business/court-challenge-for-ard-ri-fails/

We can assume that a planning application will be lodged fairly soon and we will see what the Seamus Walsh has proposed for the site.....by all accounts from what has been written and broadcast about Seamus Walsh he sounds the real deal and has a track record of building quality developments and means business and may give Waterford what it badly needs as in a quality 4/5 star hotel.

Road-Hog wrote: »
    We can assume that a planning application will be lodged fairly soon and we will see what the Seamus Walsh has proposed for the site.....by all accounts from what has been written and broadcast about Seamus Walsh he sounds the real deal and has a track record of building quality developments and means business and may give Waterford what it badly needs as in a quality 4/5 star hotel.

Kilkenny! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Road-Hog wrote: »

He was on the radio back when he bought it, he said he's pretty much keeping the structure as it is, obviously he's going to be gutting it to the bone but structurally, it will be same dimensions etc, I'd imagine new cladding, total decoration and some fairly small structural works, that's what he said back over a year ago anyway when on WLR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Max Powers wrote: »
    He was on the radio back when he bought it, he said he's pretty much keeping the structure as it is, obviously he's going to be gutting it to the bone but structurally, it will be same dimensions etc, I'd imagine new cladding, total decoration and some fairly small structural works, that's what he said back over a year ago anyway when on WLR.

Rooftop bar too if i recall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Kilkenny! :)
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Apparently some "exclusive" news on Ard Ri Hotel on Desire Today tomorrow.

Guessing its positive but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cactus jacks

The Tracy's are appealing the high court decision upholding the sale of the Ard ri to Seamus Walsh, so nothing will be happening with it for a while unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The Tracy's are appealing the high court decision upholding the sale of the Ard ri to Seamus Walsh, so nothing will be happening with it for a while unfortunately.

What the fcuk is that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Bards

How to win friends and influence people.... NOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

From my above link
    A legal bid by a director of the Treacy’s Hotel Group attempting to force a receiver to sell her the site of the former Ard Rí Hotel has failed in the High Court. It may clear the way for development on the 20-acre site, which has been delayed since it emerged in April 2017 that South Kilkenny-born businessman Seamus Walsh had purchased it. The sale had been held up in the court for some time since then. According to The Sunday Times, Maria Keena, a director with Treacy’s Hotel Group, told the court that she had a contract to buy the property for €1.6 million in late 2016.

The court heard that Ms Keena and her father Jim Treacy, who leads the hotel group, drove to Dublin with along with a financial advisor to sign a receipt for the deposit with EY, after learning that the site was for sale and that capital management fund Cerberus owned the loan on the property. The court heard that a ten per cent deposit worth €160,000 had been paid, but the deal did not go ahead and the deposit was returned.

The site was then sold to Mr Walsh, who is also the owner of Waterford Castle, in early 2017 for a reported €1.5 million.Ms Keena sought a declaration from the High Court that she had an enforceable contract to acquire the site. However, Judge Michael Quinn ruled that a receipt issued from the deposit did not make it clear that Ms Keena was the sole buyer of the hotel and was not a binding contract

I can sort of see why they are hacked off, but I pray they lose. They are small timers compared to Walsh.

• Advertisement

I pray they lose. They are small timers compared to Walsh.

Yeah same with me, the city centre is badly in need of a high end hotel, which is exactly what Seamus Walsh plans to provide with the Ard ri. I doubt their plans for it are anything near high end if the bridge hotel is anything to go by. Very disappointing news, it would of been great to see work start on it in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Mr Walsh certainly gives the ‘verbal’ impression that he will build a mega hotel 4/5 ⭐️But would be encouraging to see some drawings or at least sketches/photo-montages of what he intends to construct.......although if there are still challenges regarding his ownership I guess he will put back his plans until this issue is resolved.

A local boycott of Treacy's should follow this type of nonsense.

In fairness to the Treacy's it appears that they put down a 10% deposit and thought they had agreed a sale, but it fell through.

It appears that they didn't get their deposit back either.

In those circumstances I can see why they would be unhappy.

In fairness to the Treacy's it appears that they put down a 10% deposit and thought they had agreed a sale, but it fell through.

It appears that they didn't get their deposit back either.

In those circumstances I can see why they would be unhappy.

Of course they got their deposit back!!
    Where did you get that from?

Yeah its says they got their deposit back in the report on wlr's website:

https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/02/04/82646/#

Mea culpa - I've misread the article - to confirm they did get it back.

Mea culpa - I've misread the article - to confirm they did get it back.

Reading between the lines I would imagine they were not coming up with the balance quickly enough!
    Sale then went to a cashed up bidder for a lessor price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Reading between the lines I would imagine they were not coming up with the balance quickly enough!
    Sale then went to a cashed up bidder for a lessor price.

Regardless, a deposit is not legally binding, as many a house buyer will tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭invara

Interesting report on the regional economy just published today.
    http://irelandsoutheast.com/South-East-Ireland-At-A-Glance.pdf

Advertisement