Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Downfall of Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Tell us more. Interested.

No I'm good thanks. No need to explain anything .

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

D3V!L wrote: »
    No I'm good thanks. No need to explain anything .

Then why bring it up at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

I don't like the begrudgery of people wishing a downfall on him. Let me be very clear - I am a Conor McGregor fan. I participate in martial arts so I would like to think I have an idea of the sport of MMA too.

The good:
    1) He catapulted Ireland to a very high standing in MMA due to his skills in the octagon. He is an excellent MMArtist. One loss against probably the world's best grappler does not change that. Many people have made money, careers and their dreams come true due to him also - this needs to be recognised and celebrated.
    2) He has become an inspiration to many to follow their dreams whether in business or otherwise. His inspiration has taken young men and women off the streets and into gyms to train where their mental health and life prospects improve immeasurably.
    3) While some have said he has been rude, others have said he is accommodating with fans, he donates to charity and looks after people who looked after him. I respect this - particularly the charity bit.
    4) It is definitely not 'academic' but he is a great businessman/marketer/promoter. He is way more intelligent than people give him credit for. I know some will disagree with me, but I think he is extremely socially aware and good at 'working people' actually.

The bad:
    1) While not all his fault, he hasn't played the Irish media very well whereas he has played the American media like a fiddle. An analogy would be how he didn't show up and then wore a tracksuit to speeding offences in Ireland whereas he didn't dare do anything like that with the judge in the USA. You can argue he knows which side his bread is buttered, but it is a respect thing.
    2) Some of the videos of him allegedly intoxicated - I know he is a young man but he needs to keep the head for a little while yet.
    3) Some stuff that his Dad did, while funny are a little cringey.

The ugly:
    1) The attack on the bus. No need for it, promotionally or any other way.
    2) Sectarian or slagging someone off as a result of their region etc. No need for it in any walk of life

What he needs:
    To think about his legacy, tone down the inflammatory stuff and get back to funny/relaxed Conor. Get the Irish media and people back onside. If he is or his SBG folk are reading - PM me bro haha! Forget about Khabib, take Ferguson and Pettis etc. Build up to Khabib if he has to, get people back onside.

What the begrudgers need:
    To get a life

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

sideswipe wrote: »
    Conor McGregor is a wasted opportunity to appeal to and inspire a generation of young Irish kids. I always look at him and his loutish behaviour and cringe at the thoughts of young fellas aspiring to be like him. He could be a true rags to riches success story where hard work and talent can take you to the very top. Instead you see him pulling up in front of courthouses acting the gangster or throwing things at buses.

Never understood this argument. Why should it be Conor's responsibility to inspire and be a role model for children?? McGregor is doing what he has to do for himself and to secure his families future. It's not his business to be a role model for anybody, his career is to punch and kick people in the head and make money.

Parents should be the role models for their own children, not Conor McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Downfall? You must be joking. The man is more popular than ever! The hype over the last fight with Khalid was immense.

EDIT: He's the richest MMA fighter in the world at $85 million, though most of that was made from the cool $30 million he made fighting Mayweather. He has 3 of the 4 highest UFC ppv fights I believe and will make an obscene amount of money from the fight last week, given his whiskey (which has sold out in most places) was sponsoring the event.

And his fight record is still 21-4, which is very impressive.
    Downfall indeed... :rolleyes:

We like to knock our own.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 WinOrLearn BusFighter

The Op is wrong about the whole bus situation. Mcgregor done did that to turrn the fight into a big grudge match to draw more paper views.it was all planned. Its wasnt just him being a pure knacker. If i was him thats what i would have done. That bus stunt made him millions in extra paper views. Mcgregor isnt as stupid as a lot of people think he is.
    Conspiracy theories are relatively harmless unless they get blown out of proportion.

The most likely explanation is often the simplest one. If I had $100 million dollars made, I don't think there would be any way someone could convince me to act like a retard with dementia (on camera), in order to make a couple of extra bucks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 WinOrLearn BusFighter

4) It is definitely not 'academic' but he is a great businessman/marketer/promoter. He is way more intelligent than people give him credit for. I know some will disagree with me, but I think he is extremely socially aware and good at 'working people' actually.

His social skills are good enough, but I would not say extremely good.

You could say that he demonstrated this when he sort of ambushed Putin and acted all nice... just so that he could be the one to sit on Putin's lap first in order to annoy Khabib. It would have been awkward for Putin to ignore him even though he probably wanted to... knowing full well that this fella tried to attack a Russian citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Too many drugs I heard. This was probably the wake up call he needed. Think he is a scumbag but you can see why anyone after making 100mil would lose a little bit of motivation or a lot. Needs to reassess what he wants out of fighting now. Another pay check or a chance to become one of the greatest ever. Cause even I can see he obviously has immense talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Khabib is the first UFC fight he's lost fair and square. Mayweather was a farce with a foregone conclusion and Diaz I was an upward shift in weight class in just over one week with a totally different opponent to the one he'd spent months training for. Neither count as simple cases of being outclassed in my view. So he has plenty of time to make an epic comeback and I'm already looking forward to it.

I said on the MMA forum though that his next fight really shouldn't be another title shot. He needs to work his way back to that by fighting someone else before he goes after Khabib again, both for the sake of the UFC's integrity and for the sake of Conor getting badly needed training before he makes another - hopefully successful - stab as Khabib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Khabib is the first UFC fight he's lost fair and square. Mayweather was a farce with a foregone conclusion and Diaz I was an upward shift in weight class in just over one week with a totally different opponent to the one he'd spent months training for. Neither count as simple cases of being outclassed in my view. So he has plenty of time to make an epic comeback and I'm already looking forward to it.

I said on the MMA forum though that his next fight really shouldn't be another title shot. He needs to work his way back to that by fighting someone else before he goes after Khabib again, both for the sake of the UFC's integrity and for the sake of Conor getting badly needed training before he makes another - hopefully successful - stab as Khabib.

There was no “upward shift” in weight for Diaz. He walks around at 170+. He just didn’t need to cut weight. Also ignores away the fact that Diaz was on a party boat in Baha when he got the call and hadn’t been training for anyone when he got the call. Pathetic revisionism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

MMA's loss is the fashion world's gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,556 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Downfall ?
    How exactly is it a down fall every fighter that ever lived losses a fight ( with one or two exceptions)
    His family is set for life, his kids kids are set for life,
    I can't see any down fall at all, he will continue to make millions and be in the spotlight ,

People who give out about his behaviour and call it a downfall are stupid as that is him that is the person he would have always been regardless of being famous or not , He always kept the same friends even if he was broke, So he is just being himself but with Millions in the bank and has million of fans and opportunities ,

Where is the downfall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,556 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

People and the general public forget he got into MMA to be a prize fighter ,
    Every fighter fights to make money he has made more money than he would have dreamed was possible,
    Don't lose sight of what it is he does ,its really simple he fights for money ,

He has succeeded at his goal , even after his latest loss his next fight will still be worth close to 50 million , The guy has outshine all his peers in the end goal of prize fighting , With of course one expectation Mr Mayweather,

I don't like him and I'm sure plenty don't but to claim some kinda of down fall is horrifically inaccurate ,
    He has achieved more than 99% of the people in his field of work that have come before him ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Downfall? You must be joking.

EDIT: He's the richest MMA fighter in the world at $85 million,
    Downfall indeed... :rolleyes:

And we all LOVE rich people, don't we?
    Why stop at McGregor? Warren Buffet, now there's a dude. I'd nearly shag him myself.
    As for the Sultan of Brunei: look at the cash flow on that!!!
    Mark Zuckerberg: spit on me Mark, you know I love it.
    The Koch brothers. Ooh, I'm weak at the knees, they're so...what's the word..admirable.

Yeah. His money; that's what's admirable about McGregor.

People admire his skill, courage and drive. Few people in the world could go 10 rounds with Floyd Maywether.

As for throwing a trolley at a bus: any knacker from Crumlin could do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Movementarian

In the immortal words of Ken from In Bruges:

I mean no disrespect but Conor is a cnut.
    He's a cnut now and he's always been a cnut.
    And the only thing thats going to change is he's going to become an even bigger cnut. Maybe have some more cnut kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    On his way to becoming Europe's first billionaire sportsperson.......
    LMAO!! Pull the other one will ye! He's a pauper compared to Hamilton, Schumaker, or Rossi, and doesn't have nearly as much earning potential as any of them.

McGregor has peaked. It's all downhill from here. He'll have one or two more fights and then ride off into the sunset only to appear again in about 10 years for one last payday because he's broke. Just like so many before him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Brregzit

There is something very wrong with someone who attacks a bus putting people in hospital, being invited on the Conan O'Brian show talking away as if everything is fine. There are people doing life in prison for less. Shame on Conan.

I can't see him being let on the late late show again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Brregzit wrote: »
    There are people doing life in prison for less.

Stats to back that up please.

Effects wrote: »
    Stats to back that up please.
    I mean there are people who accidentally killed people doing the likes of what he did.

What's your problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

There is something very wrong with someone who attacks a bus putting people in hospital, being invited on the Conan O'Brian show talking away as if everything is fine. There are people doing life in prison for less. Shame on Conan.

Conan O’Brien is a shareholder of the UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Well unless you can provide intelligent feedback this conversation falls into the panto category. Can't argue with idiots...

Presumably because you're afraid that they'd win the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,092 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

And we all LOVE rich people, don't we?
    Why stop at McGregor? Warren Buffet, now there's a dude. I'd nearly shag him myself.
    As for the Sultan of Brunei: look at the cash flow on that!!!
    Mark Zuckerberg: spit on me Mark, you know I love it.
    The Koch brothers. Ooh, I'm weak at the knees, they're so...what's the word..admirable.

Yeah. His money; that's what's admirable about McGregor.

People admire his skill, courage and drive. Few people in the world could go 10 rounds with Floyd Maywether.

As for throwing a trolley at a bus: any knacker from Crumlin could do that.

So... What you've taken from this is that everyone's ok with him... bar the wealth...? It's ONLY the wealth that people are criticising....?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Tried “Proper 12” last night. Awful stuff.

Tried “Proper 12” last night. Awful stuff.
    I hope it was because someone bought it for you, and that you didn't actually pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

What's your problem?

That you're sensationalising your post.

You said people are doing life in prison for doing less that throwing a dolly at a bus. I just asked for examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Bahhaaahaaaa!!!

Tubbs would give his bony bollix to have Mc Gregor on the LLS.
    World famous celebrity being turned down by a two bit "chat" show??
    I think not.

I'm no fan of Mc Gregor but dream on.

Uncharted wrote: »
    Bahhaaahaaaa!!!

I think not.

It would piss off a lot of the viewers. The older generation would hate McGregor. So would he be inviting him on to have a go at him... like the same way he did with Peter Casey?? I think not. I cannot see Tubbs going hard on Conor in the same way he would with Katie Hopkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The downfall happened at conception :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Uncharted wrote: »
    Bahhaaahaaaa!!!

I think not.

Yeah I've soured on McGregor a lot in the last year or two, but at this point the LLS would leap at a chance to have him in but he'd probably only be arsed if he happened to be in the area and not up to anything that night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement