Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Downfall of Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 WinOrLearn BusFighter

Loses to the best LW in the world (and puts up a better performance than given credit for from people who don't understand wrestling/grappling and the insane talent of Khabib) and he's now on a downward spiral and set to be forgotten by history.

OK.
    For God's sake, Khabib beat him at his own game too. Khabib landed the best punch in the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Downfall? You must be joking. The man is more popular than ever! The hype over the last fight with Khalid was immense.

EDIT: He's the richest MMA fighter in the world at $85 million, though most of that was made from the cool $30 million he made fighting Mayweather. He has 3 of the 4 highest UFC ppv fights I believe and will make an obscene amount of money from the fight last week, given his whiskey (which has sold out in most places) was sponsoring the event.

And his fight record is still 21-4, which is very impressive.
    Downfall indeed... :rolleyes:

How do you edit and still call Khabib kallid ffs

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    In fact - a big part of the reason he gets so much press is that so many people want to see his downfall.

So well done everyone for contributing to his success.
    The money argument as always.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Firstly, I think he was grossly under prepared for the Khabib fight and was more interested in promoting merchandise.
    Hence the downfall.

He'd plenty of time to prepare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wait you created an account to make this thread. :rolleyes: Obsessed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Greyfox wrote: »
    My opinion of him has gone down a lot but he's still going to make huge money over the next 5 years. Acting like a bit of a scummer has led him to making a lot more money than if he was a nice guy

you must not be getting the point, there is more to life than money. mcgregor needs to figure this out or he will never be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

pgj2015 wrote: »
    you must not be getting the point, there is more to life than money. mcgregor needs to figure this out or he will never be happy.

He's climbed to top of the sport he spent his youth training in. He has a family and huge wealth, what more could a man want?
    How do you know he's not happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I didn't enjoy his climb to the top and won't enjoy his downfall. Whatever about his personal journey it illustrates perfectly why MMA is a circus and not a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Didn't we just have an After Hours Conor McGregor thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

meeeeh wrote: »
    I didn't enjoy his climb to the top and won't enjoy his downfall. Whatever about his personal journey it illustrates perfectly why MMA is a circus and not a sport.

You are talking through your hoop

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Completely daft.

I've never watched any of his fights from start to finish; I've seen a few highlights after the event.

But I know enough about this guy to say he is an abslolute phenomenon - a guy with a one in a million talent to manage a celebrity persona and just enough sporting talent to back it up.

On his way to becoming Europe's first billionaire sportsperson.......Sitting with Putin at the world cup final; touring around the Dallas Cowboys stadium at the weekend with all the players gathered around him; 26 million followers on Instagram.

Lads - get a grip. Look at your own lives. There is no downfall here to talk about.

Its a pity Saddam, Idi Amin and Gaddafi aren't still around for him to hang out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,266 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Steve F wrote: »
    Lets say for instance that Conor is worth $150 Million,just and arbitrary figure.
    To say that he is set for life plus his Children and Grandchildren also is too broad a statement
    In the past other people have had greater wealth and ended up with nothing.Sad but true

I think some people are pretty naive in thinking McGregor is set for life, history is littered with examples of people who made a fortune, then started a spiral of drugs and bad decisions that saw their fortunes wiped out.

Look at Mike Tyson for example, a fighter who was infinitely more famous at his peak than McGregor could ever even dream off, had a reported fortune of $300 million in 1990's money, yet filed for bankruptcy in 2003.

I could easily see McGregor going down the same path. I mean, would it really surprise anybody if some woman came out with allegations against him...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

I think a decline is more apt for conors career atm rather than downfall, anyway im sure he'll win his rematch v Khabib

though most of that was made from the cool $30 million he made fighting Mayweather.
    That figure is different every time I hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Downfall? As much as I hated his carry on over the past couple of years, he's hardly on the way down to the gutter.

Seen him pictured with Jerry Jones and Rupert Murdoch the other day at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium ffs, two very rich men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Still Ill wrote: »
    Who the **** is that guy?!

F*cking autocorrect!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

Begrudging fantasies bordering on erotic fan fiction. :pac:

He's just spent the last few days hanging out with Jerry Jones and Rupert Murdoch, he isn't going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Didn't we just have an After Hours Conor McGregor thread?

Yeah, but this one is specifically about his downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Seen him pictured with Jerry Jones and Rupert Murdoch the other day at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium ffs, two very rich men

What's it matter how rich they are?
    Isn't Rupert Murdoch a complete scumbag?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Apparently, money is the be all and end all for Conor Mcgregor fans.

They never stfu about it and it's not even their money.

*Somebody says something about Mcgregor*

''YEH BUT HE HAS ALL THE MONIES''

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I wish him all the best and hope we don't see his downfall.

However history gives a different example with many Irish people who achieve great things while young.
    Brendan Behan, Shane McGowan, Phil Lynott, all followed a similar trajectory of great talent and great achievements cut short by prodigious sessioning. In a similar vein you can include sportsmen like George Best, Paul McGrath and plenty of boxers.

Don't be fooled by the money. It can be squandered quicker than you'd believe with enough divorce/paternity settlements, lawsuits, ill-advised business ventures, leaching friends and hangers-on and high living.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Completely daft.

I've never watched any of his fights from start to finish; I've seen a few highlights after the event.

But I know enough about this guy to say he is an abslolute phenomenon - a guy with a one in a million talent to manage a celebrity persona and just enough sporting talent to back it up.

On his way to becoming Europe's first billionaire sportsperson.......Sitting with Putin at the world cup final; touring around the Dallas Cowboys stadium at the weekend with all the players gathered around him; 26 million followers on Instagram.

Lads - get a grip. Look at your own lives. There is no downfall here to talk about.
    I imagine Ronaldo/Messi/F1 drivers are well, well ahead of him. Rory McIlroy definitely makes a hell of a lot more money than McGregor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

AdamD wrote: »
    I imagine Ronaldo/Messi/F1 drivers are well, well ahead of him. Rory McIlroy definitely makes a hell of a lot more money than McGregor too.

Rory net worth is estimated at 110m dollars, Conor got about 80-100 for Flyod and about 40 for Khabib, not saying who is richer however it isn't a hell of a lot if at all.

Rory massive in the states, you wanna she cageside in vegas all the rich guys flock around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Rory net worth is estimated at 110m dollars, Conor got about 80-100 for Flyod and about 40 for Khabib, not saying who is richer however it isn't a hell of a lot if at all.

Rory massive in the states, you wanna she cageside in vegas all the rich guys flock around him.

You including taxes and not what he got paid gross!? Cos 100million paid does not mean 100 million in the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

pgj2015 wrote: »

If I had his money I'd be super happy for the rest of my life, he's certainly a very happy man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

meeeeh wrote: »

You're confusing MMA with the UFC.

The UFC is entertainment/promotions company.

MMA is a sport.

Conor's downfall, I think its too early to make that call.

I do think we're seeing a drop off in his popularity due to his recent antics, followed by a humiliating loss to someone he tried to bully.

But what I do think we're seeing is Conor nearing the end of a career which has a short shelf life anyway.

I hope I don't see a rags to riches to rags (again) story unfold here. Most people would be humbled by the defeat he took, they'd have learned to STFU and keep a low profile for awhile.

Reading reviews of his whiskey, it seems its dreadful stuff.

Anyway I hope he gets to enjoy both for a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I've had actual personal experience with him just as he became as big as he is now. He's a scumbag, he'll always be a scumbag, no matter how much money he has.

There will be no fall from grace for him as he'll always be in the gutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Put a skanger on horseback and he'll ride to hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

AdamD wrote: »

Messi is not european.

But I thought Schumacher was the first european billionaire sports star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

D3V!L wrote: »
    I've had actual personal experience with him just as he became as big as he is now. He's a scumbag, he'll always be a scumbag, no matter how much money he has.

There will be no fall from grace for him as he'll always be in the gutter.

Tell us more. Interested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement