Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Downfall of Conor McGregor

Options
  • 17-10-2018 11:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38

It was nice for a lot to watch his rise to fame. I think it might now be time to sit back and enjoy his downfall. And yes, I know many will say he's worth more now than ever, but for me his downfall has nothing to do with money and more so the surge in character weaknesses lately.

I suspected that was the end of him when I saw him throw the tantrum in the bellator last October, punching a referee in the face while climbing the net. Later there was his failure to show at court for speeding. When did you suspect things were beginning to turn for him?

I think most people knew it was over for him when he, and his go fors, flew across the atlantic to fight a bus. What the actual f**k. What kind of person looks for a false sense of power in that manner? But what was most interesting about it, was how they can clearly be seen shouting "whoo ooh" as they leave the bus afterwards. This shouting shows that, in their minds, that it was a case of 'mission accomplished'. It was as if they were a bunch of teenagers who vandalised their first bus stop. He claims he was standing up for a friend?! But I think it was really a cry for attention. And by coincidence the guy who he was after was about to take his title. As for me, I would be so embarrassed if he was my friend. You'd never know when he might try and "stand up" for you!

He clearly wasn't sorry for anything about the bus incident. Obviously he was going to get away with it all because he's a celebrity. But I can only assume that after that Brooklyn incident, that his fan base was reduced to the remaining scumbags.

I've no doubt he softened a bit following his winning of $100 million last year, and that he's done quite a bit of drugs since then. On twitter he tried to frame his latest loss as a win by saying "we lost the match but we won the battle. The war goes on". Are we meant to think that he's heroic because he thinks he's "at war". After the bus incident I got a few of people saying to me "oh but he's actually really nice, I met him once". I say what I say to all of them "he can be nice enough when he wants to".

Imagine if he retired two years ago. He'd have gone down as a hero in the eyes of many. Instead of going on to make a fool of himself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don’t think anyone’s downfall is something to enjoy, but that’s just me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I wouldn’t mind a bit of his downfall.

Tell me Conor, where did it all go wrong?

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.the42.ie/mayweather-forbes-money-list-4054642-Jun2018/%3famp=1

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

McGregor is a classic case of pride before the fall. I have little sympathy for him - he is the architect of his own demise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Downfall? You must be joking. The man is more popular than ever! The hype over the last fight with Khabib was immense.

EDIT: He's the richest MMA fighter in the world at $85 million, though most of that was made from the cool $30 million he made fighting Mayweather. He has 3 of the 4 highest UFC ppv fights I believe and will make an obscene amount of money from the fight last week, given his whiskey (which has sold out in most places) was sponsoring the event.

And his fight record is still 21-4, which is very impressive.
    Downfall indeed... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

It is when they deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

It is when they deserve it.
    McGregor is an actor. MMA isn't far from WWE at this stage.

Guarantee they'll turn the Khabib fight into a grudge match and hype the hell out of it again. They're making too much money not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

There are always enough yobs and idiots in the world to glamourise thuggery and vulgarity. It seems to be getting more prevalent. It will have a bad end. It always does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

JupiterKid wrote: »
    McGregor is a classic case of pride before the fall. I have little sympathy for him - he is the architect of his own demise...
    I was a big fan of his in the first few years and enjoyed the whole panto villain aspect he brought.

He started getting just irritating for me as the Mayweather buildup carried on and on (and on and on and on...) and since his incident with the bus where he put possible careers and eyesight of other ufc fighters at risk (and those guys really don't make big money for the most part) he's lost my interest entirely. I was reasonably happy to see him lose to Khabib recently.

All that said, "who the f*ck is that guy?" is still and will forever be the greatest comeback of all time. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭PapaOscar

But he never punched a ref in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Downfall? You must be joking. The man is more popular than ever! The hype over the last fight with Khalid was immense.

EDIT: He's the richest MMA fighter in the world at $85 million, though most of that was made from the cool $30 million he made fighting Mayweather. He has 3 of the 4 highest UFC ppv fights I believe and will make an obscene amount of money from the fight last week, given his whiskey (which has sold out in most places) was sponsoring the event.

And his fight record is still 21-4, which is very impressive.
    Downfall indeed... :rolleyes:

Who the **** is that guy?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Still Ill wrote: »

He's a DJ

• Registered Users Posts: 33,171 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Still Ill wrote: »

Indian wrestler. Seven feet and a few inches.

The problem with McGregor is that he failed to keep his feet on the ground. Outstanding fighter, good pantomime baddie as someone said, wealthy, decent record.... but lost the belt and got carried away with the outside antics.

Was only a matter of time.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Although this is an after hours thread on McGregor which usually descends into chaos, I thought I would give my opinion.

Firstly, I think he was grossly under prepared for the Khabib fight and was more interested in promoting merchandise. But this loss can’t be seen as a downfall. It is what he does from here. If he takes stock and prepares in a full and proper camp and goes for a rematch, the result will determine whether he can continue as he is going. If he can’t be the best then his whole persona becomes null and void.

But downfall? One of the richest sport stars in the world. Worldwide celebrity status which he can cash in on merchandise and tv. Can do exhibition fights where the purse is the stuff of legend.

Downfall to me is losing everything and becoming a sorry loser. Sorry, don’t see that.

If he wants to be a true legend he needs to see if he can get the hunger back. But that’s a different question as to what this thread is trying to hypothesize.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

His close relationship with a certain Dublin criminal family doesn't help his image either, though I imagine certain scumbags and muppets see it as giving him street cred.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

He'll be dead of a drug overdose by his mid-40's is my prediction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Loses to the best LW in the world (and puts up a better performance than given credit for from people who don't understand wrestling/grappling and the insane talent of Khabib) and he's now on a downward spiral and set to be forgotten by history.

OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ohh I think it’s a VERY Irish thing to enjoy some people’s dowmfall, his in particular will be enjoyed by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Billy86 wrote: »
    I was a big fan of his in the first few years and enjoyed the whole panto villain aspect he brought.

He started getting just irritating for me as the Mayweather buildup carried on and on (and on and on and on...) and since his incident with the bus where he put possible careers and eyesight of other ufc fighters at risk (and those guys really don't make big money for the most part) he's lost my interest entirely. I was reasonably happy to see him lose to Khabib recently.

All that said, "who the f*ck is that guy?" is still and will forever be the greatest comeback of all time. :pac:

it wasn't that great of a comeback to be fair.

99% of people i talked to the day of his last fight, were hoping he would loose, seems like most of the irish population cant stand him anymore.

if you had a friend like mcgregor you wouldnt be long telling him to cop the f**k on, but just because he has a lot of money, some people seem to think he can do what he wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pgj2015 wrote: »

99% of people i talked to the day of his last fight, were hoping he would loose, seems like most of the irish population cant stand him anymore.

if you had a friend like mcgregor you wouldnt be long telling him to cop the f**k on, but just because he has a lot of money, some people seem to think he can do what he wants.

Exactly this. Call him out on his scummy behaviour and you get his fanclub talking about how rich he is, as if it is a valid excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Guarantee they'll turn the Khalid fight into a grudge match and hype the hell out of it again. They're making too much money not to.

Who the fook is that guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Ah here, this nonsense again, you may as well be saying the earth is flat, MMA is as real as football

Indian wrestler. Seven feet and a few inches.

The problem with McGregor is that he failed to keep his feet on the ground. Outstanding fighter, good pantomime baddie as someone said, wealthy, decent record.... but lost the belt and got carried away with the outside antics.

Was only a matter of time.

Thats Khalil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I've read too many articles about the downfall of Conor McGregor to think his downfall will be happening any time soon.

In fact - a big part of the reason he gets so much press is that so many people want to see his downfall.

So well done everyone for contributing to his success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The Op is wrong about the whole bus situation. Mcgregor done that to turrn the fight into a big grudge match to draw more paper views.it was all planned. Its wasnt just him being a pure nacker. If i was him thats what i would have done. That bus stunt made him millions in extra paper views. Mcgregor isnt as stupid as a lot of people think he is.

Diemos wrote: »
    Who the fook is that guy?

Wasn't really funny in post #11, didn't get any funnier 11 posts later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭Greyfox

just because he has a lot of money, some people seem to think he can do what he wants.

My opinion of him has gone down a lot but he's still going to make huge money over the next 5 years. Acting like a bit of a scummer has led him to making a lot more money than if he was a nice guy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

feargale wrote: »
    There are always enough yobs and idiots in the world to glamourise thuggery and vulgarity. It seems to be getting more prevalent. It will have a bad end. It always does.

Boxing is still going isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

1st in the context of the press conference it was an amazing shot.
    Like him or loathe him, Conor has chnaged MMA, there was a before and an after Conor. The interaction with the media and fans, the dress code he changed everything.

There is a massive snobbery in Irish media around him, they've been dying to get their teeth into him.

I do agree with your last point, since he won his last UFC fight he seems to have had his head turned. His people who were with him on the way up should talk to him about the snakes around him now. Would he listen though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

The ignorance in the first few comments alone is hilarious.... not a clue about the sport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement