Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Downfall of Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

The hype over the last fight with Khalid was immense.
    Conor has yet to actually fight DJ Khalid.
    EDIT: He's the richest MMA fighter in the world at $85 million, though most of that was made from the cool $30 million he made fighting Mayweather.

You're probably a good bit off with that $30 million figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The Op is wrong about the whole bus situation. Mcgregor done that to turrn the fight into a big grudge match to draw more paper views.it was all planned. Its wasnt just him being a pure nacker. If i was him thats what i would have done. That bus stunt made him millions in extra paper views. Mcgregor isnt as stupid as a lot of people think he is.

He isn't exactly the sharpest tool, a good fighter, yes, intelligent, no, his downfall was always gonna occur, but I think it's somewhat disturbing the amount of young people that think he's some sort of marketing genius, he's not folks, and he's not a particularly good role model either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Thats Khalil

Nah man, that's the Great Khali.

Khalid is an RnB singer (not to be confused with DJ Khalid)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Diemos wrote: »
    1st in the context of the press conference it was an amazing shot.
    Like him or loathe him, Conor has chnaged MMA, there was a before and an after Conor. The interaction with the media and fans, the dress code he changed everything.

There is a massive snobbery in Irish media around him, they've been dying to get their teeth into him.

I do agree with your last point, since he won his last UFC fight he seems to have had his head turned. His people who were with him on the way up should talk to him about the snakes around him now. Would he listen though?

It was probably the last witty thing he's said though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

I'd say Joe Brolly is behind this thread.....

• Advertisement

Greyfox wrote: »
    Ah here, this nonsense again, you may as well be saying the earth is flat, MMA is as real as football

Soccer or GAA?

We all know that GAA has an unexpected violence that's unmatched by the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'll happily take a downfall after a couple hundred million in earnings of a short career.

rob316 wrote:
    I'll happily take a downfall after a couple hundred million in earnings of a short career.

The unfortunate side effects of such downfalls is the loss of wealth gained, this may not end well

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

_Brian wrote: »
    Ohh I think it’s a VERY Irish thing to enjoy some people’s dowmfall, his in particular will be enjoyed by many.

Maybe but it's the Germans who have an actual word for it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Completely daft.

I've never watched any of his fights from start to finish; I've seen a few highlights after the event.

But I know enough about this guy to say he is an abslolute phenomenon - a guy with a one in a million talent to manage a celebrity persona and just enough sporting talent to back it up.

On his way to becoming Europe's first billionaire sportsperson.......Sitting with Putin at the world cup final; touring around the Dallas Cowboys stadium at the weekend with all the players gathered around him; 26 million followers on Instagram.

Lads - get a grip. Look at your own lives. There is no downfall here to talk about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The unfortunate side effects of such downfalls is the loss of wealth gained, this may not end well

He's got more money than he could ever spend, children and probably grandchildren sorted for life.

rob316 wrote:
    He's got more money than he could ever spend, children and probably grandchildren sorted for life.

Somewhat disagree there, he is very wealthy, but he'd be near the bottom of the pile of the wealthiest, you could spend all his wealth in one go, easy, but sadly, such downfalls tend to lead to being completely broke also, it's relatively common, a bit of intelligence is required to maintain some wealth, so we ll see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Allinall

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    The ignorance in the first few comments alone is hilarious.... not a clue about the sport.

Sport?

Hahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

I don’t think anyone’s downfall is something to enjoy, but that’s just me

There is a German word (of course there is) for this.

Schadenfreude
    is the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Allinall wrote: »
    Sport?

Hahahahaha

Yes MMA is a sport just like Rugby, Boxing, American Football, Kick boxing etc. The ignorance around the sport is mind blowing. Conor is not typical of MMA. Lots of us have been following MMA well before Conor came and will be after he leaves us however as someone said on the Conor thread on MMA forum, what a ride it has been.

You listen to people like Joe Brolly that hasn't a clue about the sport who only want to damage is as their sport is at its worst point in recent history and no I don't include Hurling in that, that is probably at its highest in decades and I love it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭granturismo

Greyfox wrote: »
    Ah here, this nonsense again, you may as well be saying the earth is flat, MMA is as real as football

Yes, its real inside the ring and training but the hype, weigh in trash talk thats all WWE territory.

Sport?

Hahahahaha

You should probably stick to Golf if you don't know what sports are Grand Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Allinall

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Yes MMA is a sport just like Rugby, Boxing, American Football, Kick boxing etc. The ignorance around the sport is mind blowing. Conor is not typical of MMA. Lots of us have been following MMA well before Conor came and will be after he leaves us however as someone said on the Conor thread on MMA forum, what a ride it has been.

You listen to people like Joe Brolly that hasn't a clue about the sport who only want to damage is as their sport is at its worst point in recent history and no I don't include Hurling in that, that is probably at its highest in decades and I love it too.

It’s as much of a sport as Jack and the Beanstalk is in the Gaiety at Christmas time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Conor McGregor is a wasted opportunity to appeal to and inspire a generation of young Irish kids. I always look at him and his loutish behaviour and cringe at the thoughts of young fellas aspiring to be like him. He could be a true rags to riches success story where hard work and talent can take you to the very top. Instead you see him pulling up in front of courthouses acting the gangster or throwing things at buses.

It’s as much of a sport as Jack and the Beanstalk is in the Gaiety at Christmas time

Well unless you can provide intelligent feedback this conversation falls into the panto category. Can't argue with idiots...

• Advertisement

sideswipe wrote: »
    Conor McGregor is a wasted opportunity to appeal to and inspire a generation of young Irish kids. I always look at him and his loutish behaviour and cringe at the thoughts of young fellas aspiring to be like him. He could be a true rags to riches success story where hard work and talent can take you to the very top. Instead you see him pulling up in front of courthouses acting the gangster or throwing things at buses.

This is something that most can agree with to some extent. Good post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 WinOrLearn BusFighter

Downfall? You must be joking. The man is more popular than ever! The hype over the last fight with Khalid was immense.
    More famous, not popular

His downfall has nothing to do with money. My point is that he's plummeted in the estimation of most

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob316

Somewhat disagree there, he is very wealthy, but he'd be near the bottom of the pile of the wealthiest, you could spend all his wealth in one go, easy, but sadly, such downfalls tend to lead to being completely broke also, it's relatively common, a bit of intelligence is required to maintain some wealth, so we ll see what happens

Yes,agree to that 100%
    Lets say for instance that Conor is worth $150 Million,just and arbitrary figure.
    To say that he is set for life plus his Children and Grandchildren also is too broad a statement
    In the past other people have had greater wealth and ended up with nothing.Sad but true

Amazing how much money someone can go through with bad investments,bad advice,Hangers on,living the high life.....you get the picture now I'm sure
    S

joeguevara wrote: »
    But downfall? One of the richest sport stars in the world. Worldwide celebrity status which he can cash in on merchandise and tv. Can do exhibition fights where the purse is the stuff of legend.
    So you're saying he gets paid to get the sh1t kicked out of him... as he did in the last two fights.

The money argument doesn't stand. I'd rather be me than him.

Steve F wrote: »
    S
    They'll be spoiled fcuked up nutters I've no doubt. They'll never get to be individuals

decent record.... but lost the belt and got carried away with the outside antics.

Was only a matter of time.
    But he only really got carried away with outside antics because he knew he was going to lose it!

He would have lost it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

He’s a parody of himself at this stage. Made a lot of money out of the Mayweather fight, but he had to act like a jackass doing it, talking himself up when he hadn’t a hope. Since then he has lost the plot a bit more, lot of mad antics, increasingly seems like an utter pain in the hole.

PapaOscar wrote: »
    But he never punched a ref in the face.

Marshal... smarty pants!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Neyite wrote: »
    Maybe but it's the Germans who have an actual word for it. :p

Fecking germans.... Even when it was McGregor I knew it was the Germans....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Effects wrote: »
    Soccer or GAA?

We all know that GAA has an unexpected violence that's unmatched by the UFC.

Real football, as in the English kind 😀

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement