Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You wouldnt want to be in a rush for cables from Cablemod

Cables ordered on the 20th Of November, only received today

At least I got them before Christmas..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Headshot wrote: »
    You wouldnt want to be in a rush for cables from Cablemod

Cables ordered on the 20th Of November, only received today

At least I got them before Christmas..

Probably not Cablemod's fault.
    Was it Anpost that delivered them? They have massive backlog of parcel deliveries apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

SickBoy wrote: »
    Probably not Cablemod's fault.
    Was it Anpost that delivered them? They have massive backlog of parcel deliveries apparently.

No, this is CableMod shipping. If you order anything custom, that takes 9-10 days to build and ship.
    And then the item first travels from China to UK, then UK to Germany, and from Germany to the customer.

536206.jpg

My order from Oct 12th was delivered Nov 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kddvlz/cyberpunk_best_settings_guide_to_go_beyond_60_fps/

Very detailed write up about settings in Cyberpunk. Supposed to be for AMD users, but most of the settings would be the same on Nvidia GPUS.

Curious as to how setting the game to 30 fps, Freesync and higher settings would work out for me? Currently at 1440p getting 50-60 fps at medium-ish settings (Vega 56, Ryzen 1600)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

jebidiah wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kddvlz/cyberpunk_best_settings_guide_to_go_beyond_60_fps/

Very detailed write up about settings in Cyberpunk. Supposed to be for AMD users, but most of the settings would be the same on Nvidia GPUS.

Curious as to how setting the game to 30 fps, Freesync and higher settings would work out for me? Currently at 1440p getting 50-60 fps at medium-ish settings (Vega 56, Ryzen 1600)

Saw it at the morning, havent got a chance to try it.
    I dont know is it just my feeling but ive played with settings yesterday, low to high, medium and mixture of all. Almost always would hover around +/-40fps. Im starting to suspect ultrawide at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Someone posted on Reddit they were getting worse performance on their 1440p UW than they were on their 4K display. I've long suspected that UW is somehow 'harder' to render than 16:9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Just got a Shield Pro TV delivered,no HDMI cable:(

F****n Nvidia!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Someone posted on Reddit they were getting worse performance on their 1440p UW than they were on their 4K display. I've long suspected that UW is somehow 'harder' to render than 16:9.

Doubt it, 4k is usually around 1.5 times the pixel count. Even the 5140x1440p is 1 million pixels less to render.

Doubt it, 4k is usually around 1.5 times the pixel count. Even the 5140x1440p is 1 million pixels less to render.

Not saying 3440x1440 is harder to render than 4K, what I'm saying is there seems to be a penalty for rendering 21:9 vs 16:9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'll believe it when I see something more subjective. Also, if this is based on cyberpunk, then I would say probably. That game has some serious issues around performance.

• Advertisement

I'll believe it when I see something more subjective. Also, if this is based on cyberpunk, then I would say probably. That game has some serious issues around performance.

I still have my old monitor, will swap cables and see is there any change.
    For now have enough, great game again messed up by the top bosses. Shame that we will have to wait ages now for fixes, if we even get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Not saying 3440x1440 is harder to render than 4K, what I'm saying is there seems to be a penalty for rendering 21:9 vs 16:9.

Field of view has a big impact on performance so yes UW does have a big penalty that would bring it up to or above 4k demands especially in cpu limited games.

Bigger FOV = more stuff on screen = more draw calls for the cpu to handle and more work for the gpu.

Anyone tried Geforce Now?

Got a shield today and its €28 for 6 months,was pondering if its any use. I know you can get it on PC but this would be for sitting room TV gaming

EoinHef wrote: »

Got a shield today and its €28 for 6 months,was pondering if its any use. I know you can get it on PC but this would be for sitting room TV gaming

https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-on-geforce-now-is-brilliant-if-you-dont-have-an-rtx-card/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

EoinHef wrote: »

Got a shield today and its €28 for 6 months,was pondering it of its any use. I know you can get it on PC but this would be for sitting room TV gaming

Yes, it's actually very decent, if your Internet connection is good enough you can stream a lot of games you own for PC and it works really well.

I've used it for a while on my shield while it was free, have used it since on the laptop when I'm away from home, and now have a 1 year membership as offered with my 3080 RTX... Which basically means I can still play most of my games on my non-gaming laptop whenever I'm away from home.

I normally have a look at PC Gamer,dont know how I missed that!!

Think ill pick it up,not getting a new card this side of Christmas with stock issues so might as well. Be able to play it in my parents over Christmas too

Headshot's new PC is ready

bIsIq7w.jpg

Specs

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING
    Ram/Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 64GB
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    CPU: Cooler: Corsair Hydro 100i RGB Platinum
    GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio
    M.2 Drive: Corsair MP600 Force Series, 2 TB High-speed Gen 4 PCIe x4
    M.2 Drive: Western Digital - WD SSD Black SN750 2TB

I especially like the pink fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Needs more RGB

ED E wrote: »
    Needs more RGB

Yes that exhaust fan is looking very lonely there.

• Advertisement

Needs more RGB

Dunno why but RGB always remind me of old tracksuits from NRD/RFN

dres-ortalionowy.jpg

Folks

Is there any good alternative to MSI AfterBurner monitoring, cannot get the CPU monitoring working on it so looking for something else

I want to be able to monitor GPU, CPU temps etc

(overlay during games)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Folks

Is there any good alternative to MSI AfterBurner monitoring, cannot get the CPU monitoring working on it so looking for something else

I want to be able to monitor GPU, CPU temps etc

(overlay during games)

If you went AMD for a GPU there is built in monitoring software in the adrenalin or what ever they are calling it these days Radeon software or something.

If you went AMD for a GPU there is built in monitoring software in the adrenalin or what ever they are calling it these days Radeon software or something.

Scroll up, the "GeForce RTX" suggests otherwise :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Headshot's new PC is ready

yeah, but can it run Cry...
    Specs

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING
    Ram/Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 64GB
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    CPU: Cooler: Corsair Hydro 100i RGB Platinum
    GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio
    M.2 Drive: Corsair MP600 Force Series, 2 TB High-speed Gen 4 PCIe x4
    M.2 Drive: Western Digital - WD SSD Black SN750 2TB

Oh, right yeah, I'm guessing it runs it pretty well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

So I accidently damaged the hdmi port of my 2070 8gb, hdmi cable was yanked under tension and now the port is slightly loose. Still works though.

Can anyone hazard a guess, how much this will it's affect resell value. I was hoping to sell once its easier to get a 3080

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

So I accidently damaged the hdmi port of my 2070 8gb, hdmi cable was yanked under tension and now the port is slightly loose. Still works though.

Can anyone hazard a guess, how much this will it's affect resell value. I was hoping to sell once its easier to get a 3080

If that's the only HDMI port then maybe a little - many wouldn't risk buying a card like that though. Personally, I'd open it and try and fix it with some solder

Hyzepher wrote: »
    If that's the only HDMI port then maybe a little - many wouldn't risk buying a card like that though. Personally, I'd open it and try and fix it with some solder

That's what I was afraid to hear.

I wouldn't trust myself with a soldering iron. I wonder if anyone on boards can do these repairs.

Which model is it

• Advertisement

Which model is it

Gigabyte GPU NV RTX2070 Windforce 8GB. It was purchased last January from Amazon. I might try gigabyte first to see if they can do anything.

Its not the worst job. Anyone who does a lot of laptop repairs (DC jacks) should be able to solder it down fairly easily.

Its not the worst job. Anyone who does a lot of laptop repairs (DC jacks) should be able to solder it down fairly easily.

That's a relief. It's a weird issue as it doesn't look loose, you only notice once the cable is inserted.

Currently trying to register my card on gigabyte's site. You need a code (check number) which was only on the box. Ridiculous. :(

Could be the backplate that's loose and not the connection

Could be the backplate that's loose and not the connection

I ended up fixing it, there's two little tabs inside the HDMI port that need to be slightly raised up in order for the port to grip the connector.

Relief!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Got on to Amazon.de about the missing displayport 1.4 cable from my GL850 order.

They refunded 23.69 to my account so I pretty much picked up the monitor for €230.

Just going to order 2 cables from amazon.uk now before brexit hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭savemejebus

BloodBath wrote: »
    Got on to Amazon.de about the missing displayport 1.4 cable from my GL850 order.

They refunded 23.69 to my account so I pretty much picked up the monitor for €230.

Just going to order 2 cables from amazon.uk now before brexit hits.

Nice, reminds me of the time i got onto them about the power supply tester being missing from my EVGA psu (from warehouse) and they refunded me 30% of the price :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nice, reminds me of the time i got onto them about the power supply tester being missing from my EVGA psu (from warehouse) and they refunded me 30% of the price :pac:

Next time I order a graphics card or CPU from them, I'm gonna tell them the stickers are missing. Should get 50% off for that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Weird one guys, wondering if anyone can help. Logged into my laptop which I loaded to my sister while she was waiting for her job to sort her out with one to WFH. I tried logging into my college Office365 account and got an error "trusted platform module malfunction 80284001". Anyone seen something like that before?

Idea for GPU reviews - follow phone reviewers and use the card for their 'daily driver' for a week or so. Wouldn't transfer perfectly but if they were regularly gaming on a few titles I think they'd get a better view of how the card performs in the real world and could formulate opinions on it. Becnhmarks and bar charts are okay but I'd much prefer a bit of hands-on experience and this would pick up on things, good & bad, you'd only notice if you regularly played the games imo.

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Idea for GPU reviews - follow phone reviewers and use the card for their 'daily driver' for a week or so. Wouldn't transfer perfectly but if they were regularly gaming on a few titles I think they'd get a better view of how the card performs in the real world and could formulate opinions on it. Becnhmarks and bar charts are okay but I'd much prefer a bit of hands-on experience and this would pick up on things, good & bad, you'd only notice if you regularly played the games imo.

I think you're imagining things that they could pick up on. Other than a unique fan sound or something.

• Advertisement

I think you're imagining things that they could pick up on. Other than a unique fan sound or something.

TBh I was just thinking about synthetic benchmarks and how they don't really map to user experience. Like saying X is 10% faster than Y doesn't tell the full story - 80 fps to 88fps, big deal, 50 to 55 could be much more noticeable etc. I went from a ryzen 1500x to a 9600K and the TimeSpy bump was 9% but the actual difference I noticed in boot times, program loading, game smoothness, drivers etc was huge. Worked out to way more than "9%" in my actual experience.

Hardly any reviewers picked up on the 5700 series problems in their reviews also. Now maybe it was a hardware bug more than anything and they had good cards but they ended up saying later "X on our team uses the card and it did happen to him". So if they were using the card everyday this might have popped up for them as well. Also if they're using other programs they're more likely to see issues and get a better sense of the actual difference in the card to the user.

Ultimately the reviewers have no need to rush to get their reviews up anymore, the card makers put an end to that imo. The embargo lifts at the same time that they're available for sale now and people have shown they're willing to buy them before reviews, so may as well take their time imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Ultimately the reviewers have no need to rush to get their reviews up anymore, the card makers put an end to that imo. The embargo lifts at the same time that they're available for sale now and people have shown they're willing to buy them before reviews, so may as well take their time imo.

Not exactly true, Linus Tech Tips actually covered this with the whole Nvidia and Hardware Unboxed scandal.

It's extremely important for them to get their reviews out as soon as the others do or as soon as the embargo is released because they need the views and the clicks. And the way the youtube algorithms work as well means the more views means it'll be the first results returned in searches or in recommendations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Would anyone have a spare AMD Corsair Mounting Kit they'd like to get rid of? The Pro XT (2 screw) one specifically..

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025169072-AM4-Socket-Compatibility-and-Bracket-Installation-Guide

I searched the box high and low and just found the threadripper one. Have a AMD board sorted, waiting on CPU and realized I'll likely need the fecking mount as well to transfer the cooler across...I'll keep hunting but if anyone else has one going spare, I'll happily take it off yer hands!

[Sorted by Spear - gent!]

Has anyone experienced something like this RMAing a GPU? Purchased via amazon however the return window is closed. Amazon chat told me to go back to gigabyte and now gigabyte is telling me to go back to amazon! This was dispatched by amazon.
    "Actually, from the product serial number, either the retailer is not from UK or they imported from European Unit countries. According to the EU policy, the retailer is required to provide at least 2 yeas warranty to the customers. Therefore, they are still responsible to provide service to you. You should let them know your rights as they have a legal obligation to support you.

If they still refuse to support you, we can arrange a special service for you; however, we will not be responsible for shipping costs and the case can only proceed if you agree to the following terms:

1. you are responsible for to-and-from freight charge to our Europe service center in Germany.
    2. the item will only be repaired if there is no customer induced damage and repairable.
    3. if the damage is not covered by warranty or not repairable, the service center will return the device as it is (without repair).
    4. swap/credit/refund can only proceed through your retailer.

Processing by your supplier may save you some money but you may let us know your decision.

Regards,
    GIGABYTE

In Europe your rights against the seller are much stronger than against the manufacturer. It would be more of a US thing to be dealing with the manufacturer. I've always dealt with the retailer, including Amazon, and never had an issue but that said Amazon's service has started to slip recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Has anyone experienced something like this RMAing a GPU? Purchased via amazon however the return window is closed. Amazon chat told me to go back to gigabyte and now gigabyte is telling me to go back to amazon! This was dispatched by amazon.

I'd an issue with a Fitbit I bought from Amazon, it was just past Amazon's return window but Amazon agent put me directly in contact with Fitbit themselves who issued me a replacement due to the EU 2 year warranty.

Not sure if this helps, but Amazon definitely worked as the 'middle man' in getting it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Doesn't this depend a lot on the reason of return?

If the product is not working as it should, then you should be covered with Amazon, regardless of the "return window". As far as I know, the return window (or "cooling off period") applies when the product has no issues, but customer has changed his/her mind about the purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I'm dealing with Gigabyte at the moment. I just had to show them proof the other vendor was not dealing with me and they took up the issue. For me it was something simple though. (Heatsink for a motherboard).

Just finished live chat, they issued me a refund.

Shocked by that. Where am I gonna get a GPU now!

Just finished live chat, they issued me a refund.

Shocked by that. Where When am I gonna get a GPU now!

FYP

• Advertisement
Advertisement