Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Are you sure your motherboard can handle 32gb? Going to be expensive to get it either way, ddr3 isn't easy to source.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RossieMan wrote: »
    Are you sure your motherboard can handle 32gb? Going to be expensive to get it either way, ddr3 isn't easy to source.

Yeah it's got 4 slots and there's plenty online about lads putting 32GB into it.

On second view - having a closer look at wmic - I see it's configured as 2 banks of 2 with 2 banks of 4 for a total 12..

Been like that for 6 or 7 years at this stage without issue so there's no reason to say that putting 2 banks of 8 in place instead of the banks of 2 wouldn't work..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

DDR3 is easy as piss to buy second-hand on Adverts.ie/eBay/CEX.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

A few months ago I came along and got some confirmation on parts to buy to upgrade my existing PC, due to the whole covid thing and sudden lack of work I obviously decided not get the parts.

But now and then I pop on to various sites and I'm simply blown away by the cost of components and especially GPU's these days.

Late 2014 I purchase the below:
    OcUK GeForce GTX 970 "NVIDIA 970 Cooler Edition" 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card 1 £266.66

Going to Overclockers now and looking at the equivalent model 2070 now the cheapest model is over £200 more expensive

Kingston Hyper X 8GB of RAM cost £39.

On the same day I bought the monitor
    Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" G-Sync 144Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Slim Bezel Monitor - Black/Red 1 £524.99

I believe the PG279QE is modern version and costs over £100 more!

It's absolute madness.

The RTX 2070 is not an equivalent to the GTX 970 though.

Maxwell product stack ended up with 750 Ti, 950, 960, 970, 980, 980 Ti for consumer models.

But for Turing, we have:

GTX 1650, 1650 Super, 1660, 1660 Super, 1660 Ti, RTX 2060, 2060 Super, 2070, 2070 Super, 2080, 2080 Super, 2080 Ti.

Therefore, the closest equivalent to the 970 is 1660 Super/Ti or RTX 2060.
    Which cost around £220-290.

The 2070 is an equivalent to the 980 IMHO, with 2080 series being a step further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Even with that comparison, the price difference is still there in general. Component prices have gone up quite a bit and have yet to come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Homelander

On the flip side processors are more affordable then they ever were before. You can get 6 core 12 thread processors for £99. That would have been a wild fantasy a few years ago.

RAM and SSD prices fluctuate based on manufacturing conditions, but they're decent now.

Nvidia GPU's upped massively in price because AMD had very little to compete past lower mid-range for a long period of time. AMD are now starting to compete again in the upper mid-range which has helped.

As is said above the closest equivalent to the GTX970 now in terms of placement in the line-up is probably the RTX2060 non-super. On the AMD side you have the 5600XT which is a good bit cheaper.

I think the GTX970 and R9 290 were around €350 ballpark? Which is similar to the RTX2060 and 5600XT.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Even with that comparison, the price difference is still there in general. Component prices have gone up quite a bit and have yet to come down.

SSD & RAM prices were going down.

Then we got warnings of an uptick in prices coming with new iPhones.

Now COVID has wrecked production & shipments.

Not that hard to understand.

I meant at launch, was it that price? I almost sure it was much more than that when it actually launched, probably due to stock issues and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Folks, got a favourite typing test? Lots of free ones online but looking to pick one and track results over a few weeks to see if I'm improving. Due to the nature of my work I change KB several times a day and I'm not sure if its that or tiredness but I find myself slowing or seeming slower. Mainly due to constantly backtracking to clear errors than raw slow speed if that makes sense.

Also got a mech on the way so want to see if that makes any appreciable difference after I acclimatise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I was curious...that was like stepping back in time.

Wow.

Shlippery wrote: »
    I was curious...that was like stepping back in time.

Wow.

If you think thats bad I always shirked MB for this (or a different version of this).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

ED E wrote: »
    If you think thats bad I always shirked MB for this (or a different version of this).

Whereas if you want the more competitive streak - i was always a fan of this - https://play.typeracer.com/

I enjoy getting accused of being a bot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I just use 10fastfingers. First one you get when you google typing test.

What has you changing keyboards so much? On-site IT or something?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Lads, he's getting older. That's all here is to it :pac:

Hard work using 12 VM instances playing WoW. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hard work using 12 VM instances playing WoW. :P

Would that even work? You would need a sr-iov gpu and it would need to be beefy as hell to run 12 instances on the game and none of those are cheap. I don't know if they would run 12 games at once. I've got a M10 behind me and I don't think it could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Epic just announced Unreal Engine 5 with a demo running in real time on the PS5.

Looks amazing and makes the life of artists and developers a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So after many now happy months with my AMD setup, whats really starting to bug me is the boot speeds. It's disgracefully slower then my old Intel CPU. Same SSD's. Scared to touch any settings after all the **** I went through, but anyone on Ryzen got themselves good boot times.

In the grand scheme of things its not a big deal but my old Intel stuff was like 1-3 seconds and I'm on my desktop going, just timed there and was 24 seconds before I got prompted to login. So slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

TheDoc wrote: »
    So after many now happy months with my AMD setup, whats really starting to bug me is the boot speeds. It's disgracefully slower then my old Intel CPU. Same SSD's. Scared to touch any settings after all the **** I went through, but anyone on Ryzen got themselves good boot times.

In the grand scheme of things its not a big deal but my old Intel stuff was like 1-3 seconds and I'm on my desktop going, just timed there and was 24 seconds before I got prompted to login. So slow.

I'm using a Ryzen 4800H laptop and it boots in a couple seconds if that's any use to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,865 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm about 40 seconds from pressing the power button to log in screen. No NVME drives here and have a 1700 on a B350 board.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm not sure what my times are but it's far quicker than my old Intel X58 system was.

Just thinking about it is 12 or 13 seconds for my X570 with a 3700X.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Timed mine there out of curiosity and it was 8 seconds from button press to log in screen

I have a B450M Tomahawk and it's fairly slow as well. Much slower than my old system to boot up, and I do have an NVME drive. The delay is actually the initial bios screen in any case, not sure why but it takes quite a while - I'd say 20-25 seconds is about right in my case also.

Working fine otherwise, so I'm not too concerned. I literally only turn the PC on/off once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Did you take the boot drive from your original system and just plop it into the new build or did you do a clean install of windows on the new system?

Is the slowness on the BIOS splash screen or actually loading the OS?

I have a 2700 and I'm in windows in roughly 15 seconds from pressing the power button.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Comparing apples to oranges bit pointless, all different systems/setups/hardware/software, etc...
    Its not 15 minutes as use to be ...
    If worried about 10 s of your precious life time, just don't turn off you PC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

OSI wrote: »
    Have you both Fast Boot and Secure Boot enabled? If there's an option for Legacy and/or UEFI boot mode, make sure it's only set to UEFI as well.

Think I had to turn that stuff off during my trials and tribulations of Ryzen issues. Maybe time to try turn them back on ?

I’m the tomahawk max as someone else posted. And yeah just takes ages on bios.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I just use 10fastfingers. First one you get when you google typing test.

What has you changing keyboards so much? On-site IT or something?

Docking in multiple locations (standardised KBs is too difficult for corporations...) and then some time on the laptop directly. + Home setup which has an upgrade en route.

Doing some tests I've noticed most of my worst results have several apostrophes in the text, it seems they trip me up most which make sense as I let autocorrect handle them most of the time or just drop them in IMs as nobody cares. Might be a case for turning off all assistance for a while to purge the bad habits.

A friend who's quite a bit older than I can remember phone numbers, its a skill I never really learned as most of my life I've had a phone that can do that for me. Autocorrect is doing the same for my spelling I fear, don't get me started on Grammarly users....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,865 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Could anyone recommend a good dual monitor arm? Even better if it has cable runs.

• Advertisement

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0119RCQWW/

Cost me £19.99 when I bought it a few years back with 8 quid P&P. Now has a 22" and a 27" on it.

Advertisement