Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

New keyboard arrived today and all set up. Need to get a set of white keycaps but these will do for the moment.

60% low profile aluminum case
    Hotswap HS60v3 PCB (RGB & ISO)
    Aluminum plate
    67g Zilent switches

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I really thought going IPS would be more about colours for me but my god I'm actually blown away by response time/input lag/motion handling more than anything. I swear it's actually making me better in games.

Dont get me wrong I love the saturated colours and that was my main goal in buying a monitor this time but my time with my old Qnix lulled me into thinking what I had was fine.

It's really is a night and day difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

TN is even better bar the colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

TN is even better bar the colours.

The trade off is not worth it unless you are a professional gamer. The colour reproduction of TN is even way worse than VA.

IPS > VA > TN

A 10 bit panel looks even better again.

Those Qnix were old PLS panels which were Samsungs version of IPS. They are 10 year old technology though in fairness. Just poor compared to newer ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I originally went VA because contrast ratio, and to get away from the 'black glow'. With the stuff like LG's GL850, I'm kinda tempted to try IPS again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

IPS all the way. The high end ones have response time and blur lower than anyone would ever really need. Plus you can always get whatever ULBM magic you want if you care about it.

I find "glow" far easy to get used to than blur.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I originally went VA because contrast ratio, and to get away from the 'black glow'. With the stuff like LG's GL850, I'm kinda tempted to try IPS again.

LG's new IPS panels are great. They are killing it atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

BloodBath wrote: »
    LG's new IPS panels are great. They are killing it atm.

Yeah I have one of the LGs only 1080 so not on par with the 850 but I'm dam impressed with it haven't noticed a glow cause I haven't looked for it but compared to my old 22" Samsung monitor/TV that was 60hz TN the difference is crazy for colours and the 144 refresh is instantly noticeable when games meet it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Is there any good 22" monitor out there? I'd like to go dual monitor again, but 27" is way too big, and even 24" is a little too large.

I've had a look before, but I'm pretty sure the answer is just "No." at this point.

I couldn't tell you. From what I've seen though most of the good smaller panels tend to be around 24".

Could you not just stick 2 of those on a dual arm vesa mount to tidy it up and take less space?

I'm using this thing at the moment and it's way better than my old Qnix. I got it for €220 delivered to my door but it's gone up.

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/electriq-27-qhd-1440p-95hz-freesync-hdr-monitor-eiq-27mq95fshdru/version.asp

It's only 95Hz but it's a 10 bit IPS panel. I'm still not sure if it's true 10 bit though or if it's using FRC. Strangely even 12 bit shows up in the control panel so maybe it is 10 bit and it can do 12 bit as 10 + 2FRC. Either way the colours are so so much better than the old Qnix. I'll get a better higher refresh one later for a dual 1440 setup.

Instead of dual-monitor, why not just go ultra-wide?

Same productivity but better for widescreen gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Instead of dual-monitor, why not just go ultra-wide?

Same productivity but better for widescreen gaming.

More like ultra awkward. If you decide it's not enough screen real estate you probably won't have space for another monitor. Whereas if you went 16:9 you can usually fit another one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A very general question but want to order a gaming PC, 1800-2000 Euro, Could be June or and of Aug, any reason to wait? has the virus caused any supply issues? or are better deals available now?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Forget 10th gen Intel, get a 4000 series Ryzen (zen 3) once they are released.

I think i'm jinxed with AIO's. This is the second one that has developed a horrible pump noise. :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I think i'm jinxed with AIO's. This is the second one that has developed a horrible pump noise. :mad:

What is it?

What is it?

Deepcool Castle 240EX. The last one was a Corsair H100i Pro.

• Advertisement

AIO's are over rated. I'm gone back to air.

This one was even better performance wise than the Corsair but the noise it's started to make especially when idle is horrible.

This one was even better performance wise than the Corsair but the noise it's started to make especially when idle is horrible.

How long do you have it? Had a Corsair H5X for years on an old build that was a bit noisy alright.

Have a NZXT Kraken x53 or x63 now for nearly 2 years which is still perfect.

Just over a year. I tried to talk Amazon into taking it back but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Serephucus wrote: »

The glow is there on the GL850 for sure.

Still currently deciding what to about mine,either send it back for another unit which could be worse or just try get used to it.

Its literally the only bad thing about the monitor I can think of.

EoinHef wrote: »
    The glow is there on the GL850 for sure.

Still currently deciding what to about mine,either send it back for another unit which could be worse or just try get used to it.

Its literally the only bad thing about the monitor I can think of.

I have the 650 and there's a fair amount of glow as well. Also bleed in the 4 corners.

I'd just keep it if i were you unless it's really horrible. It's one of those things that the more you concentrate on it the more you'll notice it.
    There's a bit on this AOC monitor in the bottom right but you hardly notice it while gaming or browsing.

None of the panel technologies are perfect. You just have to choose your poison.

Put up with a bit of ghosting/smearing with VA to gain the best contrast. The latest high end VA's have improved response a fair bit though.

IPS for the best colours and pretty good response at the cost of a bit of glow on black backgrounds. More of a problem for movies rather than games most of the time. I've got 3 biggish glow areas on bottom left, bottom right and bottom center. Never notice it unless I use an all black background to look for it.

TN for the best response times at the cost of worst colours and contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Quick question not worthy of its own thread, whats the best way of identifying a bottleneck in my system? Something is slowing it down and I'm not sure what. Pretty sure its not the hard drive or SSD. First noticed it when playing minecraft and destroyed blocks were taking a split second to dissapear.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Quick question not worthy of its own thread, whats the best way of identifying a bottleneck in my system? Something is slowing it down and I'm not sure what. Pretty sure its not the hard drive or SSD. First noticed it when playing minecraft and destroyed blocks were taking a split second to dissapear.

I think that's just Minecraft.

Advertisement