Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Normal One wrote: »
    Is everyone using a proper EV charger for their 530e or is anyone using just a granny charger? More than likely going to pick up a 530e myself in the next week or 2, the 2 I've looked at so far only have granny cables. Is it worth having a charger installed, I already have a 3 pin socket outside my house, and we won't henge another EV in the household anytime soon.

I've been using the granny charger for 5 months now. New build and got a outside socket fitted pretty easily. Its absolutely perfect and works no issue. The draw back is that it takes longer to charge (just leave it plugged in over night) and packing the charger away each time you drive off if you are afraid it might be taken....

Zappi being installed within the next couple of weeks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is everyone using a proper EV charger for their 530e or is anyone using just a granny charger? More than likely going to pick up a 530e myself in the next week or 2, the 2 I've looked at so far only have granny cables. Is it worth having a charger installed, I already have a 3 pin socket outside my house, and we won't henge another EV in the household anytime soon.

My parents use the granny cable only. But I got the charger some while the Grant is there. It may not be there by the time they go EV, if they do. Net cost was only €231 for the 7kw charger and an external double socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭eggerb

Kramer wrote: »
    Lots of detail in some of my previous posts.
    This is with a 2019, 9.2kWh car.

I'd take a picture of the consumption occasionally.
    Results were:

1.9l/100km over 1047km
    3.9l/100km over 2465km
    4.9l/100km over 3642km
    7.4l/100km over 3177km

The lowest was on a regular daily commute of 50km approx, for a month. Charged every night. 1.9l.
    Highest was a 3,200km trip to Switzerland, lots of high speed/autobahn at 200km+ :eek:.
    It was only charged twice on that trip - 7.4l.

Everything else was in between, but without checking, I'd reckon my average consumption has been just under 5l/100km, or 60mpg, for coming up on 40,000km soon.
    It's a cheap enough car to run, but it'll vary for everyone.

Cheers - some interesting stats in there. I’ll have a look at the other thread also. I have the trip recording set to automatically reset so I only see daily stats and I manually reset the ‘on board computer’ when I fill up the petrol tank. I put 37 litres in yesterday (with 94km petrol range remaining) and the following were my manual calculations.

Total KM 642
    Electric KM 342
    Petrol KM 300
    Petrol Consumed (litres) 37
    KW Consumed (recorded charging sessions) 97 litres/100km 12.33
    KW/100km 28.36

My calculation of petrol consumption seemed very high @ 12.33 l/100km. Especially, that the onboard computer was showing 5.6 l/100km. I must be missing something in my manual calculations.

Looking forward to seeing the projected range mirroring some of the ones you have in those pics. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

OmegaRed wrote: »
    I've been using the granny charger for 5 months now. New build and got a outside socket fitted pretty easily. Its absolutely perfect and works no issue. The draw back is that it takes longer to charge (just leave it plugged in over night) and packing the charger away each time you drive off if you are afraid it might be taken....

Zappi being installed within the next couple of weeks

Same here, I was using the granny cable for a month, just had a Zappi installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Lots of detail in some of my previous posts.
    This is with a 2019, 9.2kWh car.

I'd take a picture of the consumption occasionally.
    Results were:

1.9l/100km over 1047km
    3.9l/100km over 2465km
    4.9l/100km over 3642km
    7.4l/100km over 3177km

The lowest was on a regular daily commute of 50km approx, for a month. Charged every night. 1.9l.
    Highest was a 3,200km trip to Switzerland, lots of high speed/autobahn at 200km+ :eek:.
    It was only charged twice on that trip - 7.4l.

Everything else was in between, but without checking, I'd reckon my average consumption has been just under 5l/100km, or 60mpg, for coming up on 40,000km soon.
    It's a cheap enough car to run, but it'll vary for everyone.

I can’t see the trip computer stats in my app at all, I only have remote and info sections in my Connected app.

Finally posting picture of my 530e that I bought back in November.

First handwash of the year and shined the shoes also...

vZFlW8S.jpg
    eoaBkQe.jpg
    HagWcnq.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

How did you reset all your stats on the Connected app to get them working?

I didn't do anything unusual I can think of - just reset in settings or somewhere. I'll have a look next time I reset, if I remember!
    Also, 17.7kWh/100km :eek::eek::eek: Mine is at 28kWh/100km????

That was likely during the warm weather/lockdown/low average speed etc., early last summer. Ideal conditions in other words, driven deliberately to maximise battery range in mostly 50/80km areas, eco mode etc.
    It's up around 27/28kWh/100km now, like yours.
    eggerb wrote: »
    Cheers - some interesting stats in there.

My calculation of petrol consumption seemed very high @ 12.33 l/100km.

Yep, something wrong with those figures.

Looking at your figures, it's likely your total mileage was 984km, 342km electric & 642km on petrol. That would work out at approx 5.7l/100km, mirroring your car's 5.6l/100km stat.
    I've checked mine & the car's consumption figure is 100% accurate.
    AidenL wrote: »
    I can’t see the trip computer stats in my app at all, I only have remote and info sections in my Connected app.

You may have to get BMW to activate those for your account - others have mentioned it previously. It's something about registering the car to your connected account IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

vZFlW8S.jpg
    eoaBkQe.jpg
    HagWcnq.jpg
    Looks well. I cant figure out if the performance kit is the one to go for or abit much but it certainly looks very well on that.
    It looks like the seller cheaped out on the tyres -
    I wouldnt be happy with those.

Looking at your figures, it's likely your total mileage was 984km, 342km electric & 642km on petrol. That would work out at approx 5.7l/100km, mirroring your car's 5.6l/100km stat.
    I've checked mine & the car's consumption figure is 100% accurate.

Thanks for that. I’m fairly sure I didn’t do 984km in 2 weeks. I’ll keep the spreadsheet going and compare to what the car’s reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭markobucko

vZFlW8S.jpg
    eoaBkQe.jpg
    HagWcnq.jpg

Stunning mate ...best wishes with it
    I passed up all the darker colours and picked up a 192 one in white ,hope I don’t live to regret it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Due to all the talk on consumption I did a trip measurment yesterday.
    I started recording after getting on the M18 northbound at Ardrahan, galway, and finished the trip at the exit for kinnegad.
    For the whole journey I traveled at a constant of 120kmph indicated, using cruise control.
    There were 2 exceptions where speed was reduced. 1st at the motorway intersection at Athens, and then going through athlone (down to 100kph)
    The battery was showing a range of 1km at the beginning of trip.

Figures were
    Total distance: 137k.
    Time 1hr 13 mins
    Avg speed: 117.3
    Consumption: 39.3 mpg/ 7.188 lt/100km

Hope this helps whoever is looking at numbers

* edit - I've changed the lt/100 as I incorrectly converted it using US and not imperial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Due to all the talk on consumption I did a trip measurment yesterday.
    I started recording after getting on the M18 northbound at Ardrahan, galway, and finished the trip at the exit for kinnegad.
    For the whole journey I traveled at a constant of 120kmph indicated, using cruise control.
    There were 2 exceptions where speed was reduced. 1st at the motorway intersection at Athens, and then going through athlone (down to 100kph)
    The battery was showing a range of 1km at the beginning of trip.

Figures were
    Total distance: 137k.
    Time 1hr 13 mins
    Avg speed: 117.3
    Consumption: 39.3 mpg/ 5.98 lt/100km

Hope this helps whoever is looking at numbers

5.98 ltrs per 100km is closer to 47mpg off the top of my head no?
    39.3 is that the US gallon?

coolisin wrote:
    5.98 ltrs per 100km is closer to 47mpg off the top of my head no? 39.3 is that the US gallon?

You are correct (but other way around).
    Car is recording mpg and I did the ltr/100 via Google this morning, and used US instead od imperial. I've edited original post

You are correct (but other way around).
    Car is recording mpg and I did the ltr/100 via Google this morning, and used US instead od imperial. I've edited original post

Still relatively impressed all the same.
    Was just going to be seriously impressed if it was 47mpg!

Does anybody know how to reset the e drive km driven? Or, does it automatically reset when you refuel with petrol? I reset the trip recorder and also the on board computer but no joy. I did this in the iDrive, using the tip of the lights lever and also the button in the bottom left of the display. I thought I had manually reset it after I refuelled on Friday but maybe not .. maybe it automatically reset.

markobucko wrote: »
    Stunning mate ...best wishes with it
    I passed up all the darker colours and picked up a 192 one in white ,hope I don’t live to regret it :)

It came down to this and Alpine white. Both look great, you won't regret it!

eggerb wrote: »
    Does anybody know how to reset the e drive km driven? Or, does it automatically reset when you refuel with petrol? I reset the trip recorder and also the on board computer but no joy. I did this in the iDrive, using the tip of the lights lever and also the button in the bottom left of the display. I thought I had manually reset it after I refuelled on Friday but maybe not .. maybe it automatically reset.
    Auto resets on refuel

Giving serious consideration to one of these after reading through the thread.

Anything I should be worried with looking at second hand ones.

Are people only sticking to the Main dealers for servicing or is there any alternatives out there.
    Reason I ask is the shocking previous experience I have had with BMW services.

coolisin wrote: »
    Giving serious consideration to one of these after reading through the thread.

Anything I should be worried with looking at second hand ones.

Are people only sticking to the Main dealers for servicing or is there any alternatives out there.
    Reason I ask is the shocking previous experience I have had with BMW services.

BMWorkshop in Rathcoole are authorised Centre.
    They can add the service info the iDrive and to the bmw servers too.

• Advertisement

If you're buying a newer one, which hasn't had its first service yet (@ 33k km on mine), you can add a service pack for €429, which covers all servicing, brake fluid change etc., up to 100,000km or 5 years.
    It's a no-brainer for a new/nearly new car.

Some could have been sold new with that service pack too - worth enquiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This thread began long ago with chats about Teslas coming along.

Did anyone reading this change a 530e or 330e for a Tesla and are you pleased you did so or do you regret it?

Never got that offer after buying a 192 last week from a main dealer
    Mine only has 22k on the clock but an original U.K. import .
    Must look into this

Not entirely sure where I would be landing, this thread ruining my life the last few days.
    So many popping up for sale, but I would imagine 2017/2018 cars.

Id say most would have had their first service.

First step into this world of PHEV/Hybrid!

Not entirely sure where I would be landing, this thread ruining my life the last few days.
    So many popping up for sale, but I would imagine 2017/2018 cars.

Id say most would have had their first service.

First step into this world of PHEV/Hybrid!

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe it was 2019 onward had the bigger batter (12kw vs 9.2kw?) so if you're looking for the bit of extra range on the battery, thats one to consider

I absolutely love mine though. Being able to connect it up easily outside was key for the convince of charging. Pootle in and out of the city on a full charge at a cost of about 1 euro but then I have the range of the petrol engine when I want to go further. I love the boost feature too when both petrol and battery are firing all at once

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

markobucko wrote: »
    Never got that offer after buying a 192 last week from a main dealer
    Mine only has 22k on the clock but an original U.K. import .
    Must look into this

You should be able to see in the connected drive site if you have the service pack. I’ve a 192 uk import and it had the service pack which was a nice bonus l only became aware of after buying it

• Advertisement

Ricey3509 wrote: »
    You should be able to see in the connected drive site if you have the service pack. I’ve a 192 uk import and it had the service pack which was a nice bonus l only became aware of after buying it

Thanks for info,
    Seems I don’t have service inclusive but have everything else ticked which is a pity ;)

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Did anyone reading this change a 530e or 330e for a Tesla and are you pleased you did so or do you regret it?

Have the 530e & a Tesla Model 3.
    I will take the BMW 100% of the time, even if the Tesla is sitting there, 100% charged. They are worlds apart in terms of NVH, refinement & comfort.

Sure, the Tesla takes off like a scalded cat, but the BMW is leagues ahead of Tesla in every other regard.

Not knocking Tesla, but they have a long way to go to catch the Germans :pac:.

I will take the BMW 100% of the time, even if the Tesla is sitting there, 100% charged. They are worlds apart in terms of NVH, refinement & comfort.

Sure, the Tesla takes off like a scalded cat, but the BMW is leagues ahead of Tesla in every other regard.

Thats very interesting and not something ive heard before as a direct comparison with a good german car.
    Id have thought tesla would be there or there abouts but i guess it takes a few generations of car model to get the quality up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Have to ask, what does NVH stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

Very interesting i was tempted to go for a model s when i change ive had bmw's for years and i thought the 530e would lead on to a full electric

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Have to ask, what does NVH stand?

Noise, vibration and harshness. In cabin refinement really. Premium feel of the car. You'd expect bmw to win well here over a tesla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭whippet

I considered the Model 3 but went for the 330e MSport Plus last year ... the Tesla had no comparison to BMW in terms of build quality or feel.

No regrets so far

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Noise, vibration and harshness. In cabin refinement really. Premium feel of the car. You'd expect bmw to win well here over a tesla.

And they do in fairness. I have a 2014 520d and 2014 MSP and while I wouldn’t give up my MSP, the F10 is miles ahead in terms of refinement. But we know this before buying so we have to make that conscious choice.

whippet wrote: »
    I considered the Model 3 but went for the 330e MSport Plus last year ... the Tesla had no comparison to BMW in terms of build quality or feel.

No regrets so far

2 different cars though. My parents have a 530e MSport too. Lovely car but I wouldn’t have one over a Tesla or any EV for that matter if an EV in the same segment can work. They are a compliance car and I’ve stated that from the start (if some nerd wants to search my posts :D) but they are good stop gap between someone giving up a dirty diesel for a Hybrid which is what my parents done).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭whippet

Gumbo wrote: »

2 different cars though. My parents have a 530e MSport too. Lovely car but I wouldn’t have one over a Tesla or any EV for that matter if an EV in the same segment can work. They are a compliance car and I’ve stated that from the start (if some nerd wants to search my posts :D) but they are good stop gap between someone giving up a dirty diesel for a Hybrid which is what my parents done).

absolutely different cars - the PHEV replaced a dirty diesel and the Tesla would have been more than suitable for my requirements. However - I just couldn't hand over the money for it - when I was spending €50k+ on a car I need something that would make me smile. The tesla felt so bland and I couldn't see past the iPad on steroids - it's horrendous !

At the moment 90% of my driving is being done on EV so very little fuel being burned

Gumbo wrote: »
    And they do in fairness. I have a 2014 520d and 2014 MSP and while I wouldn’t give up my MSP, the F10 is miles ahead in terms of refinement.

The G30 was a big jump up too IMO. It used a lot of the 7 series switchgear & platform. The Model S is closer, especially with the air suspension & better interior, but the Model 3 is 2 segments behind IMO, in many respects.

The 45e (X5 & 5 series) are better again, but right up there regarding pricing :(.

whippet wrote: »
    when I was spending €50k+ on a car I need something that would make me smile. The tesla felt so bland and I couldn't see past the iPad on steroids - it's horrendous !

It's funny how the spartan Model 3 interior divides opinion so much. I reckon it's largely an age thing too. Older people, less tech savvy, prefer old school switchgear & interiors.

The younger, raised on iPads & screens, must see everything in 16:9 format & expect everything to operate via touch, with haptic feedback :D.

I'm neither old, nor tech savvy (allegedly), but I don't see having to navigate a touch screen menu system (on the move), to alter temperature, open the glovebox or even switch on the wipers etc., as progress :o.

That said, the 530e has a touch screen but I've never needed to touch it - the command wheel/buttons are both intuitive & easy to operate without taking one's eyes of the road ahead (important enough :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Is everyone using a proper EV charger for their 530e or is anyone using just a granny charger? More than likely going to pick up a 530e myself in the next week or 2, the 2 I've looked at so far only have granny cables. Is it worth having a charger installed, I already have a 3 pin socket outside my house, and we won't have another EV in the household anytime soon.

Update: I drove a 530e, a pre-facelift 182 model. Dark blue with ivory interior. Very nice, plenty of power.

Then I test drove a 191 740e, went back to the garage and bought it on the spot. Collecting on Monday. The two cars were like chalk and cheese, the 7 is on a different level of comfort and power. Delighted.

Update: I drove a 530e, a pre-facelift 182 model. Dark blue with ivory interior. Very nice, plenty of power.

Then I test drove a 191 740e, went back to the garage and bought it on the spot. Collecting on Monday. The two cars were like chalk and cheese, the 7 is on a different level of comfort and power. Delighted.

740e is lovely. My mate also has one.
    They remap well :)

Im alittle surprised that its that much of a leap. Its still a 4 cylinder isnt it?
    Good value so really at a few k above a 5 for a 3 year old or so.

mickdw wrote: »
    Im alittle surprised that its that much of a leap. Its still a 4 cylinder isnt it?
    Good value so really at a few k above a 5 for a 3 year old or so.

The 740e is a twin turbo setup as far as I know. 322bhp vs 254bhp or something around that.

• Advertisement

The 740e is a twin turbo setup as far as I know. 322bhp vs 254bhp or something around that.

Big power step up alright.
    Fantastic car.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

It's twin scroll turbo and not a twin turbo (no 2 physical turbos). Both 530e and 740e have the same 2L 4 Cylinder engine, but the one in 740e is in a higher state of tune like the one in 330i.

740e ICE engine makes around 250bhp and adds 70 odd from electric motor.

SummerK wrote: »
    It's twin scroll turbo and not a twin turbo (no 2 physical turbos). Both 530e and 740e have the same 2L 4 Cylinder engine, but the one in 740e is in a higher state of tune like the one in 330i.

It's ridiculous the way they've detuned the B48 engine in the 530e really. It's just 180bhp :eek:.
    I had a Volvo S80 years ago with a low pressure turbo. 2 litre displacement too & 180bhp.

I guess they didn't want to upset 530i sales & keep a similar naming convention.
    The 530e would likely be the best bang for buck in terms of tuning. It could easily match the 740e in terms of power output & be that bit lighter/smaller.

If I had a 3 year old 530e & didn't take an extended warranty, I'd be looking at tuning it.

It's ridiculous the way they've detuned the B48 engine in the 530e really. It's just 180bhp :eek:.
    I had a Volvo S80 years ago with a low pressure turbo. 2 litre displacement too & 180bhp.

I guess they didn't want to upset 530i sales & keep a similar naming convention.
    The 530e would likely be the best bang for buck in terms of tuning. It could easily match the 740e in terms of power output & be that bit lighter/smaller.

If I had a 3 year old 530e & didn't take an extended warranty, I'd be looking at tuning it.

Tell me more... :D

Quick google there and I see there is a device called a JB+ to do such a thing. Anyone had an experience with such a device?

Isnt there 2 versions of the engine though - some of the 30e cars got the stronger base engine and some didnt.
    As I understand it, tuning the poorer of the 2 up to 30i power output might not be a great idea.

Tell me more... :D

Quick google there and I see there is a device called a JB+ to do such a thing. Anyone had an experience with such a device?

I wouldn’t bother with “devices”.
    I’d go straight to BMWorkshop in Rathcoole and let him remap it.

Really good gains for the 30e cars, they are very underrated until mapped.

Correct horse battery (:D sorry couldnt resist puns), got a 172 740e in the driveway this morning filling up on what little sun hits my home solar panels this patchy morning :P

I had alot of beamers over the decades from 3 series, to 5 to 7 diesel to 7 long base to even a monstrocity of a 4.4l petrol X5,

the 740e is by far my most favourite so far, its very quiet, ton of features (i am still discovering features i didnt know it had after getting it last month) and just plain fun or releaxation to drive depending on how you feel that day.

Congrats Normal One

Any one found any new features / hidden things they have spotted in their 530e?

Any one found any new features / hidden things they have spotted in their 530e?

no doubt this is known to most/all .... however I only discovered last weekend that fingertip "pinching & reverse pinching" the top of the idrive control knob zooms in and out of the map
    in my defence, it's my wife car and not my daily driver

no doubt this is known to most/all .... however I only discovered last weekend that fingertip "pinching & reverse pinching" the top of the idrive control knob zooms in and out of the map
    in my defence, it's my wife car and not my daily driver

It should also allow hand writing.

• Advertisement

the 740e is by far my most favourite so far, its very quiet, ton of features (i am still discovering features i didnt know it had after getting it last month) and just plain fun or releaxation to drive depending on how you feel that day.

Congrats Normal One

The silence on a rainy motorway is what swung it for me.

You can get a list of the spec by inputting your VIN here, in case you didn't know...
    https://www.mdecoder.com/

Advertisement