Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

The 530e are a lovely car. Can see why you are keen to increase the pure EV range. What type of range are you getting with your current car?

I think it will be pretty expensive for you to go up that one or two years. You are right that it is a strange time in terms of car ownership with cars significantly appreciating in value. The difficulty is while you car has gone up in the value, so too has the newer ones that you will be looking at.

A dealer will need to make a profit from your trade in (and will have to put in some work, which might be very minor or could be fairly costly). As a general rule/indication, the dealer will offer/give you about 20/25% less than what they will put it in the forecourt for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If you do the sums on that financially, no way will it make sense. Would be a fair whack of an outlay to move up 1 year into essentially the same car just it will stay on electric a bit longer. If the 191 will do your fully daily on electric, your 181 must be fairly close.

The payback time on it would be measured in decades!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

Also you’d need to go to a 192 to get the bigger battery, 191 will have the same battery capacity as your 181

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

The 181 is getting me about 26km on best behaviour, doesn't cope too well on colder days like this. It is glorious hearing the 2ltr engine kicking in when it needs to, what a roar (and it's hard to resist the heavy foot when it does!), but it devours petrol.

Think I just have the fear everytime I look at the price on the petrol pump these days!

@Ricey3509 thought the battery upgrade came in on the 182, so that certainly almost puts paid to my fantasy.

Thanks though, it was a nice pipe dream while the world is going crazy all around us.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Every car has increased, from the base 1.1 polo to the Performance Model S!

It started 2 years ago in general, I sold my Performance Model S for €2k more than I bought it for less than a year later

Bought a newer MS Performance for €48k in July 2021 and now trading that with a value of €57,3!

But you have to remember, the cars you are now buying are also gone up so make sure to allow for that in your figures.

• Advertisement

I went to look at 530e cars this morning. Which of the below would you pick and what do you think of price? Or has anyone seen anything better for sale they'd like to recommend to me?? I focused on the first 2 below, both 2017s. Probably seduced by interior colours really. Suppose I could get them for 35k (maybe).

I could move into a 2018 but with less extras than the 2017s for about 1 or 2k more and into a 2019, again with less extras than the 2017s for another 3k on top of the 2018. What would you do?

All cars have their pros and cons....all msports on 20 inch wheels which to me, says insist on adaptive suspension above any other extras. I test drove 330e msport before and found it very harsh without adaptive suspension.

Would i be mad to go for higher spec 2017s with the 2018s so close in price? Will I lose out financially in the end by doing this?

All cars are the smaller battery, even the 2019 one but still well within my work commute (7 kms each way) and I can charge at work too. So my commute should use no petrol unless i don't charge. I'll get caught out for electric range in my leisure activities quite often for sure, but I would with larger battery also. I estimate about 8 to 10 kms extra on the larger battery so no biggie really.

I think they are all reasonably priced in today's crazy market but I think this market is here to stay so happy enough to buy now.

pros to me: highest spec overall of all cars I looked at. Msport pack, comfort pack, visibility pack. What i like here is harman kardon and adaptive LED lights. Love the ivory interior colour.

has split folding seats. I do have access to a van though so not end of the world if it didnt.

Cons: higher mileage and a few stone chips on bonnet. Black is lovely but difficult to keep clean

pros: lower mileage and adaptive suspension. Love the ivory interior colour.

Cons: only con is its overall lower spec than the one above as regards value of extras, but still well specced. Back seats dont fold. Has BMW hifi system rather than Harman Kardon but its not meant to be much different.

Here are the 2018s.

https://motorcorp.ie/vehicle?id=Bp7q

Here is the 2019. There were some other 19s but up in price, further than I really want to go.

https://motorcorp.ie/vehicle?id=K1EG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Casati

So 495km for v close to 40 litres? That’s a very disappointing 8l/ 100km unless my maths is way out? I had understood they would be closer to 6l / 100km at that kind of handy motorway driving

Our 530e long term is 49.9 MPG through the winter. 99% short journeys just to give you an idea.

Our 520d is mid 20’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Personally I think the extra body kit is a bit much and those models seem to be alittle cheaper than standard m sport on the used market.

Love the white interior and looking for same myself.

Warranty warranty warranty would be my main concern. A fault that might be dealer only repair could be outrageously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Seems a lot of money for 2017 cars. Adverts.ie have 2018's from 30k. Bigger battery 2019 here for 40k.

Is your heart set on the M Sport? SE's cheaper and far more comfortable on standard suspension. Not many around though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Casati

Is that because you’ve short journeys and are charging all the time? Must be something wrong with the 520d unless your literally driving gridlock traffic, I’ve seen them return 5.0 litres / 100km on long journeys

Yep I'd be wary of expensive fixes but haven't heard too many bad stories about these so far. I'd be willing to pay warranty for peace of mind. I like the body kit and I wouldn't be one for modifying my cars usually, just think they look well

That's a good spot. How do you know its the bigger battery?

M sport only I'm afraid, not interested in SE at all.

520d perfect. Just nearly all short journies.

it will get 50’s if I reset it in a long motorway drive but that’s not a realistic day to day figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

AFAIK, all the cars with the fancy dash display (curved rather than two circular dials) have the bigger battery! Maybe someone else can confirm?

Far more up to date that display too.

I think all cars with the new display would have the bigger battery.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Just quoting an earlier post of mine showing how to quickly tell if the car is the updated battery version or not

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

I'd pay a visit to www.gtmotorsdublin.com before deciding. He focuses on the high spec 530e market. Can confirm 3 very happy customers.

I know everyone has their own must-have options but for me its nappa leather at all costs. It's where you sit all the time and the upgrade on the standard dakota is too good to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

Ive a higher spec 181 m sport then the models above and id take 35k any day for it

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

No just thinking of selling as its not getting used

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vinnymcdonnell

Brother inlaw is looking at selling his 172 530e Msport Plus with 27k kms on it as making the move to fully electric. He bought it brand new and has a very good option list. Car was €75k when specified

If anyone is interested before it goes to the trade sale route let me know and can put you in contact

Can you send over details and asking price please. If you can.

The wife is considering jumping from her F10 520d after we got a 172 530e 2 years ago. Sounds similar to your brothers.

So quick update here, BMW rang and said Telematics Unit is in transit.

The last couple of months the connectivity to Connected Drive has been working fine; maps, nav, weather and news apps etc.

This leads me to the thought that the change in atmospheric pressure may has something to do with it, and through winter the Telematics Unit wasn't working due to some fault!

Not sure of exact codes that BMW read but will find out in coming days.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Bit of a shock this morning..!

The Ambient light strip across the dash stopped working last week so I booked the car in today to get it checked out.

FYI - The car had a full service 6 weeks ago.

I then get a text with a video of them doing a walk around the car where they point out the the rear passenger Shock is leaking and needs to be replaced and my car is an xDrive version..

My mind instantly went to "ok , what organ can I sell to cover this!!!"

Thankfully and somewhat surprisingly when I finally got to speak to them about an hour after the video arrived they have told me that it's fully covered under Warranty.

I really didn't think it would be as I would have put shocks into the "subject to wear and tear" category. And the lighting issues was just a blown fuse as well.

After the initial shock (no pun intended) I'm pleasantly surprised that it is fully covered under Warranty.

Id expects the shock to be covered too as it’s should have a reasonable life span. It’s not a consumable in the same way a clutch is or brake pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭maddness

Telematic Unit replaced today and all working fine again.

Some issues were intermittent like RTTI but I could never send messages to the car after I noticed the initial issues. Can now send messages, lock/unlock remotely etc. which I couldn't so all look good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭986s

Looking to pull the trigger on a 192 530E- one of the things I like (which the car I'm purchasing doesn't have) is the M performance body kit- front lip, side skirts and rear lip. Any reputable garages fit these? If so at what cost?

One other question is the garage mentions that it has upgraded headlights but from pics it doesn't look like the adaptive icon LED lights, so is there an upgrade to the level below the icon LED lights? Bear in mind this is a UK import.

Last question- it just has the standard Hi Fi (no HK system), what do people do to upgrade this in a reasonably cost effective way?

Any help, much appreciated.

Advertisement