Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Why dont you look out for a club in your own country???

I do, as I've posted numerous times in this thread. I also go to some of their games.

But I don't consider them 'my' team or me a 'supporter' of them

My team is Liverpool

And I know they are on tonight. What can I say, I'm a plastic

Liverpool v Lyon on LFCTV too unfortunately! Last preseason game... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Actually there is logic to it. Barstoolers "follow" the same english teams because they are successful and everybody else does. Your posts show a major lack of football knowledge. But hey enjoy your remote control.

Nothing wrong with my knowledge, I can accept the way football is supported in Ireland and there's no logic to your argument. To be a football fan the only criteria is that you watch football regularly. Yes and a big part of the joy of supporting a team is having people you can share the ups and downs with and unfortunately lots of Irish people dont have family our friends that support our own league so we get that fix from the EPL. It's unfortunate as the reality is if people went to local matches they would make new friends and experience the joy of live football with them.
    I was at the game and agree about the quality. But barstoolers are so brainwashed there really is not turning them. I've met them in Tallaght when we had the misfortune of playing these teams and they are beyond saving. One guy had qpr on a tricolour and didnt see anything wrong with it:rolleyes:

We need to attract kids to going to games in their own country as these people are a lost cause. Sure you only have to look at their "logic" here.

It's not brainwashing, its simply the fact that the Irish league had no answer to Sky's marketing and did not do enough to get kids going to games. Hopefully the Irish league will work harder at getting kids going to live games as a succesful Irish league is good for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Greyfox wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with my knowledge

Ok but just an FYI...
    It's not brainwashing, its simply the fact that the Irish league had no answer to Sky's marketing and did not do enough to get kids going to games. Hopefully the Irish league will work harder at getting kids going to live games as a succesful Irish league is good for everyone.

Irish League is what the folks use for the game in Northern Ireland.

League of Ireland is ours.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ok but just an FYI...

You could use the same argument for both though in fairness. Plenty of United and Liverpool supporters in the north that don't go to local games.

Again it's not unique to LOI

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    You could use the same argument for both though in fairness. Plenty of United and Liverpool supporters in the north that don't go to local games.

Again it's not unique to LOI

I was merely telling the poster above me that Irish League is classically what the league north of the border is called whereas the Republic's is League of Ireland. They seem to think the ROI's is called the Irish League.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

It's not brainwashing, its simply the fact that the Irish league had no answer to Sky's marketing

Makes a statement and then immediately contradicts it, you couldn't make this stuff up.

Ok but just an FYI...

Yeah your right
    D14Rugby wrote: »
    Makes a statement and then immediately contradicts it, you couldn't make this stuff up.

It's doesn't contradict what I said. Marketing and brainwashing are 2 different things

It's doesn't contradict what I said. Marketing and brainwashing are 2 different things

Marketing is just a form of brainwashing.

Do you think a marketing slogan such as "real football, real fans" could be construed as brainwashing?

• Advertisement

Do you think a marketing slogan such as "real football, real fans" could be construed as brainwashing?

It's an attempt at it but it's not pushed enough to be effective.

There's so many examples of slogans that are completely ingrained in society. You sing the mcdonalds jingle to people and they'll go "I'm loving it", Gillette, L'Oréal, all with slogans people instinctively know. Even sky sports "Super Sunday" is a clear football example.

On the subject of marketing, I think GAA hit it on the head with their Nothing Beats Being There.

It's an attempt at it but it's not pushed enough to be effective.

So you don't think there's a mentality about LOI football being more real and fans thinking the same?

To me I think it's more effective than you think, just look at the people on this thread talking about being a "proper" or "real" fan

Marketing works

So you don't think there's a mentality about LOI football being more real and fans thinking the same?

To me I think it's more effective than you think, just look at the people on this thread talking about being a "proper" or "real" fan

Marketing works

That slogan developed from the mentality not the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Marketing works

Not being funny, but it is more real.
    You're there in the stands, with the chants. Players in front of you. Or course they aren't as good as the Premiership but for those 90 minutes it dosent matter.

Rather than being at home in your jocks with an 'illegal' stream.

And this is coming from a man utd fan for years who would get up for pre season games.

Not being funny, but it is more real.
    You're there in the stands, with the chants. Players in front of you. Or course they aren't as good as the Premiership but for those 90 minutes it dosent matter.

But are you only a real fan watching it live?

If you watch Dundalk tonight on eir Sport 1 are you not a real fan? But you are the next time you go to Oriel Park?

I'm not denying that going to see games live is more real and a much much superior experience. It's the "real fan" thing that I don't get. There's all these rules around it.

Can you be a real fan and watch your team on tv?

If you watch Dundalk tonight on eir Sport 1 are you not a real fan? But you are the next time you go to Oriel Park?

I'm not denying that going to see games live is more real and a much much superior experience. It's the "real fan" thing that I don't get. There's all these rules around it.

Not being able to make it to Azerbaijan is completely different to not bothwto go 20 minutes down the road.

No you can't. And if you tried to say you supported Liverpool as much as a scouser that follows them home and away or has been attending games when ticket availability allows for their whole life you'd be laughed at by them

Yes you can be a fan but nothing beats being there. Being there is far better and far more involved. If you can't be there for one reason or another, catching it on TV or online is the second best option. But to me, it's a very distant second best.

Yes you can be a fan but nothing beats being there. Being there is far better and far more involved. If you can't be there for one reason or another, catching it on TV or online is the second best option. But to me, it's a very distant second best.

Agree with all of this

No you can't. And if you tried to say you supported Liverpool as much as a scouser that follows them home and away or has been attending games when ticket availability allows for their whole life you'd be laughed at by them

Not saying it's as much as anyone or more than anyone. Was just asking if you can be a real fan and watch on TV per these rules of yours. Answer is no. I'm learning more and more about your made up rules everyday from this thread.

• Advertisement

Not saying it's as much as anyone or more than anyone. Was just asking if you can be a real fan and watch on TV per these rules of yours. Answer is no. I'm learning more and more about your made up rules everyday from this thread.

My answer is no in the terms you mean it. As in treating football like a TV show.

I went to the pub to watch it tonight. Few other heads watching it tonight. Was with 2 other lads who support Liverpool, one was laughing about how bad dundalk were without ever having seen a game from them, before kick off.
    Dundalk gave them a game until they had to push for a goal and conceded a second.

He may have a Liverpool tattoo but do I consider him a football fan? Absolutely not.
    Is he from Liverpool? He is in his hole.
    Will he go to the next Ireland game? Of course he will.
    It's these fans that grind my gears but are happy to talk about European football but be so ignorant to what is under their nose.
    More into getting one up on their buddy than anything.

I don't support dundalk but want them to do well. I'm not gonna fly to Baku to watch them play their banjos.

Was this pub in Louth? Maybe he wasn't from there so had no connection to the local club?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Everyone knows a true fan is those of us in the jacks in work while doing a late shift on a Friday furiously updating livescore.
    Or is that just me?

I went to the pub to watch it tonight. Few other heads watching it tonight. Was with 2 other lads who support Liverpool, one was laughing about how bad dundalk were without ever having seen a game from them, before kick off.
    Dundalk gave them a game until they had to push for a goal and conceded a second.

He may have a Liverpool tattoo but do I consider him a football fan? Absolutely not.

You don't know enough about the guy to know if he's a football fan or not but its true that he was a bit of an ar**hole for not caring about his own league

• Registered Users Posts: 22 padzer220982

Is he from Liverpool? He is in his hole.
    Will he go to the next Ireland game? Of course he will.
    It's these fans that grind my gears but are happy to talk about European football but be so ignorant to what is under their nose.
    More into getting one up on their buddy than anything.

I don't support dundalk but want them to do well. I'm not gonna fly to Baku to watch them play their banjos.

These are the type of "fans" that I have to put up around me unfortunately especially here in Tipp, when they tell me the league of Ireland is terrible when they've never bothered their h*le to go a game. Fair enough if you follow a PL team I follow Liverpool myself, but for these ''football fans'' to willingly ignore their country's own league is inexcusable in my opinion

These are the type of "fans" that I have to put up around me unfortunately especially here in Tipp, when they tell me the league of Ireland is terrible when they've never bothered their h*le to go a game. Fair enough if you follow a PL team I follow Liverpool myself, but for these ''football fans'' to willingly ignore their country's own league is inexcusable in my opinion

Yeah every fanbase has eejits, not even just fans of EPL teams. Wouldn't tar them all with the same brush. Some of us are alright. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

dan1895 wrote: »
    Everyone knows a true fan is those of us in the jacks in work while doing a late shift on a Friday furiously updating livescore.
    Or is that just me?
    in the jacks "updating livescore" Thats a new name for it

You don't know enough about the guy to know if he's a football fan or not but its true that he was a bit of an ar**hole for not caring about his own league

But I'm his friend so I probably do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Nothing wrong with my knowledge, I can accept the way football is supported in Ireland and there's no logic to your argument. To be a football fan the only criteria is that you watch football regularly. Yes and a big part of the joy of supporting a team is having people you can share the ups and downs with and unfortunately lots of Irish people dont have family our friends that support our own league so we get that fix from the EPL. It's unfortunate as the reality is if people went to local matches they would make new friends and experience the joy of live football with them.

There's nothing wrong with your knowledge because you dont have any. To be a football fan you go to gaes in your city or country. THAT IS WHAT HAPPENS THE WORLD OVER.

I was in Cyprus for the Rovers game and guess where the opposition fans came from?

It is brainwashing. End of. Look at the ads on tv now. "Football is back":rolleyes: and all the barstoolers getting moist over this "fact".

Again the league here is not the Irish League. Good lord

Advertisement