Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

8-10 wrote: »
    We were having a discussion the other day into why locals and foreign fans struggle to get tickets. It was with a different poster. Surprised you're not already ignoring me

Locals struggle to get tickets because a load of foreign plastic fans with more money buy them and its a disgrace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Locals struggle to get tickets because a load of foreign plastic fans with more money buy them and its a disgrace.

You'd start an argument in a phone box

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well if Liverpool's owners are perfectly happy to take their money to buy better players, that's how professional football works. Maybe they should support Everton, Tranmere, Southport, Marine, Bootle... or some other local team that wants their support.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You'd start an argument in a phone box

Sorry for following the thread subject. Shall we just rename the thread "Allez Allez Allez, a bunch of loyal (to an extent) supporters from nowhere near Liverpool"?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Well if Liverpool's owners are perfectly happy to take their money to buy better players, that's how professional football works. Maybe they should support Everton, Tranmere, Southport, Marine, Bootle... or some other local team that wants their support.

Hang on are you seriously saying that people from Liverpool shouldn't support Liverpool because people that set foot there once a decade are willing to spend more money? Ha **** off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

And yet if foreign fans bought Shamrock Rovers tickets this would be ok

Greyfox wrote: »
    And yet if foreign fans bought Shamrock Rovers tickets this would be ok

Rovers don't have a waiting list so yeah buy away. It's not as if there's such a number they're driving up prices and depriving locals of watching their club.

I'm not a liverpool fan but without the global reach and income Liverpool receive the world over they wouldn't be in the position they are today. It's a tough one but it's all about the money, because money brings success (Generally)

Hang on are you seriously saying that people from Liverpool shouldn't support Liverpool because people that set foot there once a decade are willing to spend more money? Ha **** off

They should support whoever they want to support.
    But it's up to Liverpool FC to decide who gets the tickets and at what price, not me, not you. So if anyone is saying that, it is Liverpool FC.

There were lots of Irish fans cheering on Liverpool FC in the 1980s - virtually and in person, lots of Irish players too played for them.
    Season ticket prices have gone up since the 1980s but not because of Irish fans.

And if they can't get a ticket to watch Liverpool FC play, they have many other options. They can continue to support Liverpool FC as a virtual fan, but of course, you have nothing but contempt for such plastic fans.
    So to experience authentic football, by your logic, they must now watch Tranmere or Southport or Everton, or the other great team in Liverpool, Liverpool FC Reserves.

Ye wha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

That's not the whole story though which you'd have gotten from the original discussion. There's much more widespread issues with tickets than just foreign fans buying a load of them. That's the discussion here.

Plus, like your Rovers example, they want tickets to be open to be sold to fans of all nationalities.

A bigger stadium is clearly needed as demand has outstripped supply for about 6/7 years now. And finally looks like the owners are realising the severity of the issue.

This is a good thing for football fans, I though a lot of the argument here was that we should go out and watch our teams live and not just on a barstool on tv?

Ahhhh i get it

U on drugs pal?

They should support whoever they want to support.
    But it's up to Liverpool FC to decide who gets the tickets and at what price, not me, not you. So if anyone is saying that, it is Liverpool FC.

There were lots of Irish fans cheering on Liverpool FC in the 1980s - virtually and in person, lots of Irish players too played for them.
    Season ticket prices have gone up since the 1980s but not because of Irish fans.

And if they can't get a ticket to watch Liverpool FC play, they have many other options. They can continue to support Liverpool FC as a virtual fan, but of course, you have nothing but contempt for such plastic fans.
    So to experience authentic football, by your logic, they must now watch Tranmere or Southport or Everton, or the other great team in Liverpool, Liverpool FC Reserves.

Jesus talk about trying to make a one rule fits all because it suits your argument.

If you can point out where I said Liverpool fc are blameless that'd be great.

The fact you think it's acceptable to just say someone from Liverpool probably a 4th/5th generation fan should simply support a different club because his club is greedy and foreign glory hunters will pay more says a lot about you and it isn't good.

That's not the whole story though which you'd have gotten from the original discussion. There's much more widespread issues with tickets than just foreign fans buying a load of them. That's the discussion here.

Plus, like your Rovers example, they want tickets to be open to be sold to fans of all nationalities.

A bigger stadium is clearly needed as demand has outstripped supply for about 6/7 years now. And finally looks like the owners are realising the severity of the issue.

This is a good thing for football fans, I though a lot of the argument here was that we should go out and watch our teams live and not just on a barstool on tv?

The point is this isn't a thread for potential speculation about if a team might consider expanding their ground, even the topic of tickets was boarding off topic

Jesus talk about trying to make a one rule fits all because it suits your argument.
    If you can point out where I said Liverpool FC are blameless that'd be great.
    The fact you think it's acceptable to just say someone from Liverpool probably a 4th/5th generation fan should simply support a different club because his club is greedy and foreign glory hunters will pay more says a lot about you and it isn't good.

I'm pointing out the complete contradictions inherent in your argument. Liverpool FC are the most popular team in Liverpool because they are successful. Why doesn't Tranmere or Everton have more fans if what matters is being local and attending authentically in person?
    Why are local glory hunters of any more moral worth to you than foreign ones?

If Liverpool FC aren't blameless in this then maybe these 5th generational fans need to ask themselves why they are supporting Liverpool FC, according to your logic of the only support that matters is attending live games.

Irish fans have been supporting Liverpool FC for generations, but in fact you were very contemptuous and insulting to anyone in Ireland who supports Liverpool FC because their uncle, or grand-dad, or dad, or older brother supported them. So why, in your world, should Irish fans give two hoots about displaced generational Liverpool FC fans?

For Liverpool FC to be a success in the modern game, Liverpool FC wants fans with money. That's not Irish fans' fault. Irish fans have been supporting Liverpool FC since the 1950s where there was next to no money in the game.
    It doesn't matter whether I say it is acceptable or not, welcome to the Premier League of 2019. But what isn't acceptable is blaming it on Irish fans.

I'm pointing out the complete contradictions inherent in your argument. Liverpool FC are the most popular team in Liverpool because they are successful. Why doesn't Tranmere or Everton have more fans if what matters is being local and attending authentically in person?
    Why are local glory hunters of any more moral worth to you than foreign ones?

If Liverpool FC aren't blameless in this then maybe these 5th generational fans need to ask themselves why they are supporting Liverpool FC, according to your logic of the only support that matters is attending live games.

Irish fans have been supporting Liverpool FC for generations, but in fact you were very contemptuous and insulting to anyone in Ireland who supports Liverpool FC because their uncle, or grand-dad, or dad, or older brother supported them. So why, in your world, should Irish fans give two hoots about displaced generational Liverpool FC fans?

For Liverpool FC to be a success in the modern game, Liverpool FC wants fans with money. That's not Irish fans' fault. Irish fans have been supporting Liverpool FC since the 1950s where there was next to no money in the game.
    It doesn't matter whether I say it is acceptable or not, welcome to the Premier League of 2019. But what isn't acceptable is blaming it on Irish fans.

In Liverpool itself the split is actually pretty 50/50 Everton and Liverpool. Tranmere aren't actually in Liverpool, clue is sort of in the name.

Because you support your club no matter what, look at Rovers and the Kilcoynes or Blackpool and the oystons or Newcastle and Ashley, sometimes supporting your club means not going to games but they're still supporting the club in other ways.

2 generations is hardly the same thing.

Why should people give a hoot about the people from Liverpool supporting Liverpool, hmmm I don't know. **** sake it's obvious.

Again point out where I said Irish fans are to blame? Part of the problem, yes I said that but not to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Aston Villa all the way ....

Always have since McGrath played 4 them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Aston Villa all the way ....

Always have since McGrath played 4 them.

Who did you support when he was playing for United?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Off to watch live football tonight in the sun.
    Gonna go to a shels game.

Few pints, sun, and football. Better than sitting on the couch doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Who did you support when he was playing for United?

Wasn't really into football pre 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Heard some radio presenter today talking to these parents who had a child wanting a Kerry jersey despite the family being from Mayo and having new genetic connection to the Kingdom at all. Said it was shocking and it just doesn't happen. Said that GAA isn't like soccer, where you can just pick whichever team you like because geography is irrelevant. This is just the default over here for the most part it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Well I think Irish football fans should keep the hurt to themselves as it's not helping anyone. Yes the Irish league is a really good league but you cant force people to support it.

Good grief on so many levels.

This attitude of blaming EPL fans for the decline of the Irish league when the decline is due to Sky's clever advertising and the popularity of GAA and rugby.

Wrong again.

Every single penny spent on english football by oirish "fans" is money not being spent on OUR league here which in turn supports employment and great players like Jack Byrne.

Barstoolers are not football fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Every single penny spent on english football by oirish "fans" is money not being spent on OUR league here which in turn supports employment and great players like Jack Byrne.

Barstoolers are not football fans.

Of course they are, saying there not is like saying Irish people dont like alcohol, there's no logic or common sense in saying that, saying there not shows a major lack of football knowledge. Barstoolers can tell the difference between a high standard of football and a good standatd of football and If you love football you will always be interested in watching great players play and with the EPL you have players far far better than Jack Byrne will ever be. You can't tell people what they can and can't watch as we live in Ireland and not North Korea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't think it's productive to call fans barstoolers. We should be trying to promote our league to them. They are already football fans and understand the game. Some of them go to games abroad and if a "barstooler" was at Rovers last two European games they would certainly have been turned, such was the quality of play and atmosphere. Efforts would be better spent promoting the positives of our league, such as sitting in a fantastic stadium like Tallaght, rather than knocking people for following a foreign league, they're never going to attend matches here if we knock them. Here are the highlights from Rovers win on Thursday, unfortunately it doesn't show the amazing footwork of Jack Byrne, he's unreal, if I accurately said how good he is, you wouldn't believe me. Other highlights not included are a Joey O'Brien mazy run and Greg Bolger's trojan work.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,997 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Football in this country will always be insignificant against GAA

That and the allure of the game across the water means it will always be fairly niche here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Can't understand it myself tbh. Nothing comes close to the feeling when your home town team are playing and winning. I really don't get how someone can feel this affiliation to a club in the UK or any club outside of where they are from.

I love football in general and I really enjoy La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga but I watch any game in those leagues, I don't really support anyone bar maybe at a push Union Berlin as I lived there for a while but I've no real annoyance if they lose.

Get out and support your local club. It's some feeling when they win.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Football in this country will always be insignificant against GAA

That and the allure of the game across the water means it will always be fairly niche here.

I was always led to believe that there was more people participating in soccer than gaelic games in Ireland?

There was a competition in Derry and the NW this last week. Had 450 teams playing 1500 games over the week. Plenty of interest in soccer in this country.

• Advertisement

Dunno what the 1st one says, sky piping in crowd noise to counter what maybe audible bad language before the watershed.

How do you not know what the first one says? It's clear as day spelt out in the article what happened.

Yeah you keep believing that, along with Santa and the Easter bunny.

Advertisement