Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ZuM16

I have been a Norwich fan since around 1993 (10 years old at the time). The reason i started following them was, they were doing pretty well in Europe and my mum was watching them on TV, i asked why she was watching them and she said (her words), "they are a small club who are doing well, they don't have many fans so i am going to cheer them on" so to me that made sense and from there i started following them, in school anytime we played world cup i was always Norwich so thats how i ended up following an English team. Our nearest team were Bray Wanderers and ironically enough the only times ive ever been to their ground was to watch Norwich play Bray in pre season friendlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

8-10 wrote: »
    It's not though. All I'm saying is that the ticket problems are much more nuanced than just saying it's locals v foreigners.

You have dead locals holding season tickets for example. Is that a good thing?

It is a good thing, people that go to more matches get rewarded, that's exactly what you want. Those people are more likely to be local fans too so it's nearly perfect.

Dead locals holding season tickets? Id assume you're talking about people who die mid season and their families don't tell the club which I don't think would be particularly high on their priority list.
    ZuM16 wrote: »
    I have been a Norwich fan since around 1993 (10 years old at the time). The reason i started following them was, they were doing pretty well in Europe and my mum was watching them on TV, i asked why she was watching them and she said (her words), "they are a small club who are doing well, they don't have many fans so i am going to cheer them on" so to me that made sense and from there i started following them, in school anytime we played world cup i was always Norwich so thats how i ended up following an English team. Our nearest team were Bray Wanderers and ironically enough the only times ive ever been to their ground was to watch Norwich play Bray in pre season friendlies.

And it never occurred to you to apply that exact same logic to bray at any point?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Dead locals holding season tickets? Id assume you're talking about people who die mid season and their families don't tell the club which I don't think would be particularly high on their priority list.

I mean dead for years. Dead people who have renewed their ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ZuM16 wrote: »

That's a nice story. Always remember them being in and around the top of the table and being confused as a child as to why/how it was happening. Any reason why you didn't ever give Bray a shot? It's probably my favourite away day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 padzer220982

I just feel sorry for the locals from the Liverpool area who have to put up with watching their team play these big games down the pub or at home while Anfield is full of foreigners.. I'd be properly pissed off and I can imagine a good few of the locals are with bus loads of daytrippers arriving on a matchday

Yeah I'd agree but not just locals there's loads of fans who can't get tickets. As I say the Stadium just isn't big enough to meet demand and the Anfield Road end expansion needs to happen sooner than later but even then likely isn't big enough.

Everybody is pissed off with the ticket situation right now be it locals or foreigners!

Season ticket waiting list has been closed for decades at this stage because of the ten's of thousands already on it. The bulk member sales are a joke. The away tickets have been a closed shop for years and you can't get PL tickets reliably unless you've consistently gotten over 13 games a season, a ladder that is really hard to get on...hospitality had a massive cost increase this season and sold out ridiculously quickly.

I don't know what the answer is other than build more extensions. Maybe safe standing will help if it increases capacity but even then Liverpool are likely to be one of the last teams to sign up for that due to sensitivities around the Hillsborough Families

Yes but my point is locals are being gradually forced out because of the demand for tickets from foreigners who are willing to pay big money to go to a game. The club isn't doing much because these foreigners are spending a small fortune in the club store, buying food and drink etc., so the club would probably rather have more foreigners at the game with fat wallets than locals anyway. This is the type of supporter big clubs in the Premier League are geared around now. All about the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There was a load of lads over from england at the dundalk match tonight, im joking because that would be ridiculous.

Yes but my point is locals are being gradually forced out because of the demand for tickets from foreigners who are willing to pay big money to go to a game. The club isn't doing much because these foreigners are spending a small fortune in the club store, buying food and drink etc., so the club would probably rather have more foreigners at the game with fat wallets than locals anyway. This is the type of supporter big clubs in the Premier League are geared around now. All about the money.

Yep hard to argue with a lot of that. Money talks. Flip side is that's why the team are European Champions. I'll still take it over Russian/Arab oil handouts but none of it is savoury to be honest.

Seeing the hospitality prices and the allocations for the Champions League Final (15k tickets for Liverpool fans) you can just see how much of a joke the Premier League/UEFA is when it comes to squeezing supporters

I think the broadcast rights bubble will burst eventually and coupled with Brexit the league will suffer

pgj2015 wrote: »
    There was a load of lads over from england at the dundalk match tonight, im joking because that would be ridiculous.

At Bohs we have Brazilians, British, Polish, Asian, Nigerian and continental European people at nearly every game. Individuals who love live football but now live here or are visiting. Just football people basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

League north of the border = Irish League
    League south of the border = League of Ireland

League is not referred to by some sponsor name. Is the EPL referred to by its sponsor name?

Nope as the Premier League in England no longer has a main title sponsor but lots of partners

Nobody is denying that it happens all over the world, the Irish are just the worst for it while simultaneously calling themselves the best fans in the world and moaning about Irish football going backwards (newsflash that's happening because domestic football here is completely ignored and laughed at when they raise these issues I.e. Delaney). 800,000 foreigners go to EPL games, 120,000+ of these are Irish, 90,000 Norwegian, next country is on 50,000. The difference is the Norwegians also get 50,000 a week on average at the domestic games though, we're lucky to get into the teens. Standard isn't a factor here as Rovers have shown the past week so what's the issue? Norway population is only a couple hundred thousand more than ours so that's not it either. Its a simple one, we're far from the best fans in the world, we're among the worst and that's the inconvenient truth

Norway winter sports is bigger football is a summer sport.

Ireland football has to contend with GAA in the summer

There is lots of factors in play

• Advertisement

And there's still a better atmosphere. Proves my point even more.

Anfield is a good atmosphere about once a season, its dead the rest of the season. Sure sky have to put crowd noise on for games there. Liverpool don't even have lower attendances to blame, the ground is almost always nearly full to full so the change in atmosphere depending on occasion is shocking. Give me the tallaght south stand any day.

"we are loyal supporters (when it suits) and we come from nearly anywhere but Liverpool" would be more accurate lyrics

Heard it all now sky piping in crowd noises lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Some Irish people support Juventus F.C.

......and it's Italian :eek:

Some Irish people support Juventus F.C.

......and it's Italian :eek:

Funnily enough I had school mate that supported Barcelona. Out and out supported them as Paddy Premiership would do with Liverpool or United. He'd go over the odd time for games and would call them "us". The exact same behaviour as EPL fans. Only thing is these Mancs and Scousers would berate/snigger/be perplexed about it and ask why he called a foreign team "us" without a hint of irony or self awareness at play.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Funnily enough I had school mate that supported Barcelona. Out and out supported them as Paddy Premiership would do with Liverpool or United. He'd go over the odd time for games and would call them "us". The exact same behaviour as EPL fans. Only thing is these Mancs and Scousers would berate/snigger/be perplexed about it and ask why he called a foreign team "us" without a hint of irony or self awareness at play.

Every fanbase has idiots in fairness. Don't tar us all with the same brush!

Maybe they're Love Island fans - https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/is-barcelona-in-rome-twitter-goes-into-meltdown-over-love-island-girls-geography-chat-38289741.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Haha paddy premiership brilliant! I love when irish EPL fans give out about foreign ownership in the premier league! Oh the irony

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ZuM16

That's a nice story. Always remember them being in and around the top of the table and being confused as a child as to why/how it was happening. Any reason why you didn't ever give Bray a shot? It's probably my favourite away day.

Honestly, it never crossed my mind. I was never exposed to Bray (apart from what i mentioned above), none of my family or friends were fans or had any interest and in school all anyone talked about and followed were premiership teams so that was a big factor also. Being older now i do try to see my local teams when possible but as a teenager i never gave the LOI a second thought.

Dundalk ground out a result with Champions League regulars Qarabag last night. Shamrock Rovers just totally outclassed Europa League Group Stage regulars Apollon Limassol 2-1 tonight. We have good teams here . Our teams.

Dundalk ground out a result with Champions League regulars Qarabag last night. Shamrock Rovers just totally outclassed Europa League Group Stage regulars Apollon Limassol 2-1 tonight. We have good teams here . Our teams.

I refuse to call people that won't go down the road to watch the likes of Jack Byrne football fans, he's different gravy, made those group stage regulars look like Sunday league players at times tonight.

Sticking one to all the barstool Apollon Limassol fans. Plastics!

Hope we meet an Irish team in the group stages. Would be unreal

• Advertisement

Sticking one to all the barstool Apollon Limassol fans. Plastics!

Had a few pints have we?

Surreal is probably a more apt word. An Irish person cheering for an English team against an Irish team here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Surreal is probably a more apt word. An Irish person cheering for an English team against an Irish team here in Ireland.

needless to say if those "Irish" people were alive 100 years ago, they would be ratting out their neighbours to the RIC.

Yeah I'd agree but not just locals there's loads of fans who can't get tickets. As I say the Stadium just isn't big enough to meet demand and the Anfield Road end expansion needs to happen sooner than later but even then likely isn't big enough.

So literally within a day of me posting this the club have announced that they will let the agreement for the Annie Road expansion lapse because it's not big enough!

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/anfield-s-next-expansion-may-be-larger-than-1st-planned-072419

CEO Peter Moore on the plans to add 4k seats to Annie Road end:
    That is insufficient for our plans. We’re continuing to analyze what is the optimum number. I think in the next few months you’re going to hear from us as regards to what those plans will be. I can tell you definitively it won’t be the rather small-to-medium plans we had recently.

I'm encouraged by this, should allow for a lot more fans in through the turnstiles and alleviate a lot of the ticket problems that we were discussing here the other day. By the sounds of it, it's going to be a substantial increase rather than the incremental 4,000 which as I'd mentioned is the real problem at the club right now

So literally within a day of me posting this the club have announced that they will let the agreement for the Annie Road expansion lapse because it's not big enough!

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/anfield-s-next-expansion-may-be-larger-than-1st-planned-072419

CEO Peter Moore on the plans to add 4k seats to Annie Road end:

I'm encouraged by this, should allow for a lot more fans in through the turnstiles and alleviate a lot of the ticket problems that we were discussing here the other day. By the sounds of it, it's going to be a substantial increase rather than the incremental 4,000 which as I'd mentioned is the real problem at the club right now

And? This isn't a Liverpool thread lad, nobody gives a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

As a Liverpool supporter I give a ****.

Allinall wrote: »
    As a Liverpool supporter I give a ****.

Go to the Liverpool thread then. That's what it's there for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Go to the Liverpool thread then. That's what it's there for

Last time I checked, Liverpool was in England.

Have a look at the thread title before issuing instructions as to where I should post.

We were having a discussion the other day into why locals and foreign fans struggle to get tickets. It was with a different poster. Surprised you're not already ignoring me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

This isn't a Liverpool thread lad
    It is now YNWA :D

Advertisement