Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I

Liverpools kop is notorious for having plastic fans in it these days, part of the reason "the anfield roar" is now a myth
    How do you define "these days"? This was 14 years ago.

The people we were talking to were locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Greyfox wrote: »
    This attitude of blaming EPL fans for the decline of the Irish league when the decline is due to Sky's clever advertising and the popularity of GAA and rugby.

"we fell for sky's advertising so don't blame up" that really the line you're going for? If the rugby and gaa attendances were sky high week in week out too there'd be a point but they're not. We're a nation of event junkies that hop on bandwagons and its shocking we even attempt to call ourselves the greatest fans in the world.

How do you define "these days"? This was 14 years ago.

The people we were talking to were locals.

14 years ago is 2005 that's premier league era that's these days. You could probably stretch the atmosphere prime of the EPL to the 90s but since then it's all tourists and plastic fans and absolutely no atmosphere. Elland Road puts anfield to shame and Im not a Leeds fan at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's embedded and routed in their fan base since before Sky TV times and you can ignore it if you want but there's plenty of elements there. A simple Google of Chelsea/Rangers brings up 100's of links and loyalist images. Linfield are a smaller club but they're there too. The Chelsea of today is different to the Chelsea even of the mid 90's but the element is absolutely still there and woven into the fabric of a portion of their fan base who'd be very fond of the ''No Surrender'' crap. Obviously it's not officially endorsed by the club!

Chelsea isn't just this megabucks superclub that you see on TV. Put it this way, you wouldn't bring an Irish tri-colour into one of their supporters bars if you knew what was good for you.

It got so bad back in the mid '80's & into the '90's at Stamford Bridge with Nazi Nuremberg style salutes by the thousands, vile racist abuse particularly of Black players & fans, that many of their Irish supporters changed over to supporting Arsenal. Chelsea supporters even used to sing racist songs about Welsh people.

Was over in Baku for the EL final, walked past a Chelsea / Rangers pub, still singing loyalist & racist songs, Linfield / Rangers shirts, UDA/UVF flags so nothing much has changed . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

"we fell for sky's advertising so don't blame up" that really the line you're going for? If the rugby and gaa attendances were sky high week in week out too there'd be a point but they're not. We're a nation of event junkies that hop on bandwagons and its shocking we even attempt to call ourselves the greatest fans in the world.

14 years ago is 2005 that's premier league era that's these days. You could probably stretch the atmosphere prime of the EPL to the 90s but since then it's all tourists and plastic fans and absolutely no atmosphere. Elland Road puts anfield to shame and Im not a Leeds fan at all.

Leeds don't have big European nights at Elland Road like the recent ones at Anfield though, Barcelona, PSG, Roma, City etc

That's when Anfield comes into it's own is one of the best atmospheres in Europe.

As Huddersfield sang last season "where's your famous atmosphere?"

Newsflash lads. We don't bring the atmosphere for Huddersfield as home. It's not for you.

Come to Anfield in a Champions League quarter or semi and you'll never want to go to another ground again.

Elland Road doesn't have nights like those these days

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

8-10 wrote: »
    Come to Anfield in a Champions League quarter or semi and you'll never want to go to another ground again.

There are absolutely scores of regular fixtures across Europe with unreal atmospheres. They don't need the Champions League hype either. Milan Derby being one, Fenerbache vs Galatasary would leave Anfield looking like a creche. Even smaller teams like Lech Poznan have fiery edges to their games. Various Balkan teams, Panathanoikas in Greece... the list goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Fenerbache, Roma, & PSG are the easily the best grounds for atmosphere that I've been. :eek:

No grounds in England come close, I've been to them all, the big clubs dozens of times.

Back in 2001 during a FA Cup semi final at Old Trafford, I was told by 2 stewards that the atmosphere was the best they had ever seen at that stadium.

United weren't even playing, it was Arsenal vs Tott88ham! :D

Leeds don't have big European nights at Elland Road like the recent ones at Anfield though, Barcelona, PSG, Roma, City etc

That's when Anfield comes into it's own is one of the best atmospheres in Europe.

Newsflash lads. We don't bring the atmosphere for Huddersfield as home. It's not for you.

And there's still a better atmosphere. Proves my point even more.

Anfield is a good atmosphere about once a season, its dead the rest of the season. Sure sky have to put crowd noise on for games there. Liverpool don't even have lower attendances to blame, the ground is almost always nearly full to full so the change in atmosphere depending on occasion is shocking. Give me the tallaght south stand any day.

"we are loyal supporters (when it suits) and we come from nearly anywhere but Liverpool" would be more accurate lyrics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

That's such a cop out though. Oh. It's just Huddersfield, don't need to do anything.

Sounds like there is a load of daytrippers over.

Of course you should bring it for Huddersfield. What happened to there is no easy games.
    Dosent even have to be a wild atmosphere but there should still be one there

• Registered Users Posts: 22 padzer220982

I've been to a few Liverpool games and I can honestly say the atmosphere on a match day has gotten progressively terrible. Apart from the odd big game United, Everton, Champions league games) Anfield is dead on a matchday. Big grounds like Old Trafford and Anfield have been turned into libraries by droves of daytrippers who are more concerned with buying out of the club shop and taking photos than adding to the atmosphere.

The amount of people I see on Facebook who went over to a game and then upload around 50 photos of said game makes me wonder how much of it were they actually watching??

It got so bad back in the mid '80's & into the '90's at Stamford Bridge with Nazi Nuremberg style salutes by the thousands, vile racist abuse particularly of Black players & fans, that many of their Irish supporters changed over to supporting Arsenal. Chelsea supporters even used to sing racist songs about Welsh people.

Was over in Baku for the EL final, walked past a Chelsea / Rangers pub, still singing loyalist & racist songs, Linfield / Rangers shirts, UDA/UVF flags so nothing much has changed . :rolleyes:

now now we all know them Chelsea fans have stopped shouting for the UVF since they know people in Ireland started shouting for em a few years back and watch em on the telly every week :D

• Advertisement

Sounds like there is a load of daytrippers over.

There are. Loads of daytrippers.

I'm as disappointed as all of you with the weekly atmosphere in the league. It should be better. I was just saying that the Champions League atmosphere is amazing. Possibly the best atmosphere anywhere in the world

But that's just because there's something special about the Champions League. Something exotic and exciting. European nights at Anfield make up for every ****e Saturday fixture.

Should they all be amazing atmosphere? Maybe......but if it means those European nights aren't as good in comparison then that's a price we're unwilling to pay.

I would die a happy fan if I experienced one night like Istanbul 2005, Barcelona 2019, Barcelona 2001 or Dortmund 2016. But all of them?? F"ck me

To experience all of them as a fan? Unreal. I honestly thought that I'd be ok if Istanbul 2005 meant we'd never win a trophy again. It was that good.

There are. Loads of daytrippers.

I'm as disappointed as all of you with the weekly atmosphere in the league. It should be better. I was just saying that the Champions League atmosphere is amazing. Possibly the best atmosphere anywhere in the world

But that's just because there's something special about the Champions League. Something exotic and exciting. European nights at Anfield make up for every ****e Saturday fixture.

Should they all be amazing atmosphere? Maybe......but if it means those European nights aren't as good in comparison then that's a price we're unwilling to pay.

I would die a happy fan if I experienced one night like Istanbul 2005, Barcelona 2019, Barcelona 2001 or Dortmund 2016. But all of them?? F"ck me

To experience all of them as a fan? Unreal. I honestly thought that I'd be ok if Istanbul 2005 meant we'd never win a trophy again. It was that good.

Hang on stall the ball. You don't want the standard EPL games atmosphere to be better because the difference between it and the best possible atmosphere won't be as good? Please remove your head from your hole for **** sake. Again "we" pull the other one, if I went round Liverpool right now and asked actual fans that question 99% will say the opposite to you.

You mention all those games. Twice a season I get a guaranteed home game vs Bohs where the atmosphere blows all of them out of the water because every person in the ground actually loves their club and are fully invested in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Hang on stall the ball. You don't want the standard EPL games atmosphere to be better because the difference between it and the best possible atmosphere won't be as good? Please remove your head from your hole for **** sake. Again "we" pull the other one, if I went round Liverpool right now and asked actual fans that question 99% will say the opposite to you.

You mention all those games. Twice a season I get a guaranteed home game vs Bohs where the atmosphere blows all of them out of the water because every person in the ground actually loves their club and are fully invested in them.

This Liverpool has ‘best match night atmosphere in world’ is some absolute retarded view.....would love to know the persons ‘sample size’ to cone up with this sort of opinion....how many other European/South American grounds/matches has he/she attended......? More than likely none....!

Road-Hog wrote: »
    This Liverpool has ‘best match night atmosphere in world’ is some absolute retarded view.....would love to know the persons ‘sample size’ to cone up with this sort of opinion....how many other European/South American grounds/matches has he/she attended......? More than likely none....!

Yeah and if its off the basis of one game a year, potentially at that, then Celtic/Rangers or Boca/River have it sown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

now now we all know them Chelsea fans have stopped shouting for the UVF since they know people in Ireland started shouting for em a few years back and watch em on the telly every week :D

They're into that stuff because of it's aggressive and macho connotations, if you're a football hooligan and come from a place like Staines, Slough or Kingston Upon Thames you'd be desperate to latch on to any sort of identity.

A lot of Chelsea fans are as thick as ****, especially the chavvier ones who probably can't afford to go to Stamford Bridge, you'd find those types in places like Hayes, Hampton and Hounslow, basically the arseholes of nowhere on London's outer Western fringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Is this back up and running again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Why do some Irish people support Scottish football teams?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Road-Hog wrote: »

It's generally opposition players/managers who endorse this view and obviously then back up by liverpool fans

I think i heard Griezmann actually only say it the other day too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Why do some Irish people support Scottish football teams?

They generally support just the one though don't they? It's because they're Irish... even though we've 20 actual Irish teams here... in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Omackeral wrote: »
    They generally support just the one though don't they? It's because they're Irish... even though we've 20 actual Irish teams here... in Ireland.

Why don’t they support Hibs! Cos Celtic more successful and it’s all about winning.,..

• Advertisement

It's generally opposition players/managers who endorse this view and obviously then back up by liverpool fans

I think i heard Griezmann actually only say it the other day too

Wasn't it Gerrard, aka Mr Liverpool, that said Celtic Park was the best atmosphere he had experienced?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Wasn't it Gerrard, aka Mr Liverpool, that said Celtic Park was the best atmosphere he had experienced?

Could have been, not aware of the comments. Although i have been to Anfield for three Saturday games and Atmosphere always crap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I was in Anfield for last game of season in 1996 v Southampton. Southampton needed a point to stay up and Liverpool already had third spot.

Was with Southampton supporters who were at Anfield Road end and very dull day - apart from running into some scum outside because I was with Southampton supporters. Dublin accent saved the day!

Only time there and would not be going back in a hurry. They had some Frank Patterson character singing YNWA.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I was in Anfield for last game of season in 1996 v Southampton. Southampton needed a point to stay up and Liverpool already had third spot.

Was with Southampton supporters who were at Anfield Road end and very dull day - apart from running into some scum outside because I was with Southampton supporters. Dublin accent saved the day!

Only time there and would not be going back in a hurry. They had some Frank Patterson character singing YNWA.

I was at the Newcastle game a month before that in April 1996. It was a nighttime kickoff and Liverpool won 4-3 with 2 late Collymore goals.

The atmosphere was better than some Champions League knockout games. It was an absolutely electric night helped by going 1-0 up within 2mins and the place was absolutely hopping all night.

Annie Road end isn't great but the game matters. That Newcastle game is legendary even today, so I can definitely say that 1996 had some quality atmospheres.

I've also obviously been in some really really dull ones too. But these days I only go to Champions League games and I only get tickets in the Kop is that's where the atmosphere is.

If you put in the Upper Main or Annie Road it won't be the same. But you don't use your seat in The Kop in Europe. We stand and sing all game and watching games like PSG 3-2 or Barcelona 4-0 or City 3-0 or Roma 5-2 or Spartak 7-0 (that's just examples from the past 2 seasons) from there you know there's nowhere else you'd rather be!

If you expect every random PL game to be like that Barça game you're not being realistic. But are there PL games that have that sort of atmosphere? Definitely.

Atmosphere at Anfield generally is influenced by these factors:

1. Attendance (rarely an issue as every game sells out)

2. Kick-off time (later the better, early kick offs the worst)

3. Opposition (people look forward to Barça or City more than Huddersfield or Southampton)

4. Competition (knockouts of CL over League Cup etc)

And sometimes you just get those magical games out of nowhere.

There's nothing like live football and live football atmosphere. Is Bohs better than Liverpool? Maybe it is, but that's not my team so I don't care. Anfield is where I go to watch games and it's fantastic.

I was at the Newcastle game a month before that in April 1996. It was a nighttime kickoff and Liverpool won 4-3 with 2 late Collymore goals.

The atmosphere was better than some Champions League knockout games. It was an absolutely electric night helped by going 1-0 up within 2mins and the place was absolutely hopping all night.

Annie Road end isn't great but the game matters. That Newcastle game is legendary even today, so I can definitely say that 1996 had some quality atmospheres.

I've also obviously been in some really really dull ones too. But these days I only go to Champions League games and I only get tickets in the Kop is that's where the atmosphere is.

If you put in the Upper Main or Annie Road it won't be the same. But you don't use your seat in The Kop in Europe. We stand and sing all game and watching games like PSG 3-2 or Barcelona 4-0 or City 3-0 or Roma 5-2 or Spartak 7-0 (that's just examples from the past 2 seasons) from there you know there's nowhere else you'd rather be!

If you expect every random PL game to be like that Barça game you're not being realistic. But are there PL games that have that sort of atmosphere? Definitely.

Atmosphere at Anfield generally is influenced by these factors:

1. Attendance (rarely an issue as every game sells out)

2. Kick-off time (later the better, early kick offs the worst)

3. Opposition (people look forward to Barça or City more than Huddersfield or Southampton)

4. Competition (knockouts of CL over League Cup etc)

And sometimes you just get those magical games out of nowhere.

There's nothing like live football and live football atmosphere. Is Bohs better than Liverpool? Maybe it is, but that's not my team so I don't care. Anfield is where I go to watch games and it's fantastic.

The locals must be absolutely delighted with you and all the other Irish lads coming over snapping
    up Kop end tickets to all the big European games..

The locals must be absolutely delighted with you and all the other Irish lads coming over snapping
    up Kop end tickets to all the big European games..

There's local sales separate to the general sales specifically for those who live in an 'L' postcode that people like me can't partake in. Overall though the ticket situation is a shambles. Stadium has about 20k seats less than needed right now.

This thread is funny though. If I sit on a stool in a bar I'm criticised for not being a real fan and going to live games.

If I go to live games I'm told the atmosphere is ****e anyway and I shouldn't buy a ticket to see my team play in case someone living closer wants to go.

I don't understand what people want me to do as a Liverpool fan? Which is better, me watching on TV or actually going to a game? And why do you care?

There's local sales separate to the general sales specifically for those who live in an 'L' postcode that people like me can't partake in. Overall though the ticket situation is a shambles. Stadium has about 20k seats less than needed right now.

This thread is funny though. If I sit on a stool in a bar I'm criticised for not being a real fan and going to live games.

If I go to live games I'm told the atmosphere is ****e anyway and I shouldn't buy a ticket to see my team play in case someone living closer wants to go.

I don't understand what people want me to do as a Liverpool fan? Which is better, me watching on TV or actually going to a game? And why do you care?

I just feel sorry for the locals from the Liverpool area who have to put up with watching their team play these big games down the pub or at home while Anfield is full of foreigners.. I'd be properly pissed off and I can imagine a good few of the locals are with bus loads of daytrippers arriving on a matchday

I just feel sorry for the locals from the Liverpool area who have to put up with watching their team play these big games down the pub or at home while Anfield is full of foreigners.. I'd be properly pissed off and I can imagine a good few of the locals are with bus loads of daytrippers arriving on a matchday

Yeah I'd agree but not just locals there's loads of fans who can't get tickets. As I say the Stadium just isn't big enough to meet demand and the Anfield Road end expansion needs to happen sooner than later but even then likely isn't big enough.

Everybody is pissed off with the ticket situation right now be it locals or foreigners!

Season ticket waiting list has been closed for decades at this stage because of the ten's of thousands already on it. The bulk member sales are a joke. The away tickets have been a closed shop for years and you can't get PL tickets reliably unless you've consistently gotten over 13 games a season, a ladder that is really hard to get on...hospitality had a massive cost increase this season and sold out ridiculously quickly.

I don't know what the answer is other than build more extensions. Maybe safe standing will help if it increases capacity but even then Liverpool are likely to be one of the last teams to sign up for that due to sensitivities around the Hillsborough Families

Yeah I'd agree but not just locals there's loads of fans who can't get tickets. As I say the Stadium just isn't big enough to meet demand and the Anfield Road end expansion needs to happen sooner than later but even then likely isn't big enough.

Everybody is pissed off with the ticket situation right now be it locals or foreigners!

Season ticket waiting list has been closed for decades at this stage because of the ten's of thousands already on it. The bulk member sales are a joke. The away tickets have been a closed shop for years and you can't get PL tickets reliably unless you've consistently gotten over 13 games a season, a ladder that is really hard to get on...hospitality had a massive cost increase this season and sold out ridiculously quickly.

I don't know what the answer is other than build more extensions. Maybe safe standing will help if it increases capacity but even then Liverpool are likely to be one of the last teams to sign up for that due to sensitivities around the Hillsborough Families

Local fans are the ones that actually matter though.

Having a high number of games that you need to have attended is a good thing though as it's more likely to be locals who have done that.

• Advertisement

Having a high number of games that you need to have attended is a good thing though as it's more likely to be locals who have done that.

It's not though. All I'm saying is that the ticket problems are much more nuanced than just saying it's locals v foreigners.

You have dead locals holding season tickets for example. Is that a good thing?

Advertisement