Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭MFPM

Looks like the Inaugural WTC final match will be a washout, even with the added day

It's really looking like that...there's rain every day. The weather next week seems better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

axe2grind wrote: »
    India women, a collapse of epic proportions. 9/6 during last 10 overs.
    167/0 to 187/7

I think the rain is expected at Bristol soon.

Yes. Rain has held off but the forecast isn’t promising... rain scheduled for the next 10 days after today... England will be hoping to rip through the Indians but the Indians they are looking reasonably comfortable after their first innings collapse. Shot selections, shot execution and risk management of their innings is much better... so far... English need to break this partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Strumms wrote: »
    Yes. Rain has held off but the forecast isn’t promising... rain scheduled for the next 10 days after today... England will be hoping to rip through the Indians but the Indians they are looking reasonably comfortable after their first innings collapse. Shot selections, shot execution and risk management of their innings is much better... so far... English need to break this partnership.

They need a full days play tomorrow or this will more than likely pitter out into a draw due to the weather.

The WTC with the current forecast has no hope of getting anywhere near a conclusion.

Some play in the WTC today but it's slow going. Even game do far, India 88/3 Boult just removed Pujara who scored 8 off 54 balls....given the weather and slow rate are we already looking at a draw?

MFPM wrote: »
    Some play in the WTC today but it's slow going. Even game do far, India 88/3 Boult just removed Pujara who scored 8 off 54 balls....given the weather and slow rate are we already looking at a draw?

Probably, the forecast is pretty dire. The Women's test though looks like it might get to a conclusion India ahead by 29 with 6 wickets down in their follow on 2nd Innings.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Probably, the forecast is pretty dire. The Women's test though looks like it might get to a conclusion India ahead by 29 with 6 wickets down in their follow on 2nd Innings.

India did well to hang on and force the draw. I see Heather Knight has called for a 5-day test in the women's game, Eng certainly would have got the victory if that were the case.

132 balls for Kohli's 44, and people in here were giving NZ grief for their run rate against England. Looks like India just want to not lose at all costs.

To be fair. I'd be happy enough to share the title with them.

After all that, India all out for 217. They must really regret not being a bit more proactive.

Great bowling from Jamieson, 5 wickets and amazing economy.

Really good performance by NZ today with the ball notably Jamieson. A real shame the weather has affected the game, hard to see anything other than a draw.

Jamieson looks class.. potentially very world class... a tall bowler, fast, accurate, consistent and a threat...

Weather looks ok for today, it’s improved and we should make it to close without a rain interruption but it’s looking increasingly unlikely there will be any play tomorrow unfortunately. Tuesday looks good but there is unlikely to be enough time to bring about a result unless the forecast tomorrow improves... that’s unlikely.

• Advertisement

New Zealand scoring at 1.8 runs per over, 20 overs gone... not really trying to force a result... one off test match, I think with the forecast, state of the game the one off nature, they can and should afford to be a bit more adventurous ...entertain...

Strumms wrote: »
    New Zealand scoring at 1.8 runs per over, 20 overs gone... not really trying to force a result... one off test match, I think with the forecast, state of the game the one off nature, they can and should afford to be a bit more adventurous ...entertain...

Of all teams, NZ can hardly be accused of negative play. If India end up giving them a 4th innings target to go for, I'm sure they'll have a crack. Can't see it getting to that, though.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Of all teams, NZ can hardly be accused of negative play. If India end up giving them a 4th innings target to go for, I'm sure they'll have a crack. Can't see it getting to that, though.

In general no, but here yes...27.4 overs gone, the run rate is 1.9 about. , like I’m in a time machine back to 1987.. 27.4 overs, 54 runs... you’d expect 90 or so now minimum...

That’s all for today.... unfortunately those clouds edging closer to the Ageas bowl don’t look like going anywhere fast and according to the latest forecast not much if any play will be possible tomorrow which will take the possibility of a result out of the equation...Tuesday a full enough days play but given the state of the match it’s unlikely a result is possible with tomorrow being a washout as is expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Well there's an extra day's play catered for so I guess NZ will look to bat for most of Tuesday and put India back in, then hope to bowl them out on Wednesday.

dohboy wrote: »
    Well there's an extra day's play catered for so I guess NZ will look to bat for most of Tuesday and put India back in, then hope to bowl them out on Wednesday.

Wasn’t aware of that. Nice one and Wednesday is set very fair..perfect.

Looks like no play today :(

_119003253_umbrella_reuters.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Such a shame as the weather to be fair has been quite good for a while in this part of the world.

Next two days seem to be absolutely fine so they will have 196 overs max to try and get some sort of result. The run-rates have been very slow so far in the game so it's hard to see a result. Only an epic batting collapse will give us a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Thats loads of time if they get most of those overs in. NZ can bat themselves into a decent lead with 100 of them leaving 90 or so overs to bowl India out.

NZ will come out and be aggressive enough imo. They have to get a lead of 150+. Then they can stick India in and it's game on.

Alternatively, NZ could end up getting out for something like India scored and all results are then possible. I don't see it in either team's interest to play cautiously.

• Advertisement

NZ will come out and be aggressive enough imo. They have to get a lead of 150+. Then they can stick India in and it's game on.

Alternatively, NZ could end up getting out for something like India scored and all results are then possible. I don't see it in either team's interest to play cautiously.

Well they get to share the title if it's a draw, so there is that....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

New Zealand after losing two world cup finals and India losing in semis and the champions trophy final won't want to lose this.

Neither will take the draw yet. India's bowlers are capable of blowing this wide open in the morning. Pitch under cover all day, cloudy forecast.

Once NZ don't screw up by not getting a good lead they shouldn't be losing. And you have to expect Southee and Boult to bowl better next time. So potentially two exciting days ahead.

101 off of 49 overs hardly shows much ambition from NZ, if they played like that today, it's hard to see them changing their game plan up tomorrow. The NZ innings today was torturous!

101 off of 49 overs hardly shows much ambition from NZ, if they played like that today, it's hard to see them changing their game plan up tomorrow. The NZ innings today was torturous!

There was no play today?

They were conservative on Sunday to set the game up. They showed against England in the first Test that they are willing to make an attacking declaration in order to win. I expect them to do the same in this Test, if they get into a similar position.

There was no play today?

They were conservative on Sunday to set the game up. They showed against England in the first Test that they are willing to make an attacking declaration in order to win. I expect them to do the same in this Test, if they get into a similar position.

NZ 128-3 off 68 overs now, still showing no ambition whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭VillaMad

At the moment 19 overs have been bowled and New Zealand have scored just 26 runs. Very difficult for batting with it being overcast but it's really not good to watch.

Shami picked up the wicket of Ross Taylor earlier but Williamson standing firm having now faced over 100 balls for just 15 runs.

Looking like there could easily be a result out of this.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Looking like there could easily be a result out of this.

This is not the reserve day, I assume we have ticked the box for the reserve day to be used tomorrow?

Cheapest tickets for tomorrow are at the reduced price of £50, would be worth a trip down if you are in the area. Could come down to an exciting finish, looks like NZ will be bowled out for a similar score to India in the early afternoon.

• Advertisement

This is not the reserve day, I assume we have ticked the box for the reserve day to be used tomorrow?

Yeah, I'm assuming there will be another day. The way things are going, there could be a result today anyway :D

NZ 135/5, and it's almost as if someone has to come out and try to be aggressive. Looks like really tough batting conditions. The flip side is that NZ's bowlers are at least as good as India's in these conditions.

Advertisement