Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International cricket thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,797 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The leading English wicket takers in the county championship last year…im selecting the quicks only…. Rest are spinners, medium pacers or all rounders….but the quicks…

Brett Hutton - 31 years old

James Porter - 31

Oliver Hannon-Dalby - 34

Chris Rushworth - 37

Tom Baily - 33

Jack White - 32

Roland-Jones and Overton at a glance are way down at 28th & 30th positions…

im used to seeing English teams picking 3/4 seamers and another 2 or 3 well capable in reserve…. Vying for selection !

where are the quicks, the up and coming quality fast men ? Anderson and Broad you would have thought would have left a legacy of up and coming players wishing to fill their shoes… but, doesn’t seem to have happened yet.

A very bullshîtesque interview with Crawley…. all jovial and barely arsed… “ ahhh we’ll give it a good crack “

Bashir might have had a wicket but Stokes hasn’t afforded him a leg slip and what would have been a regulation catch is instead regulation runs.

that said Anderson hadn’t got much more help, one slip and no short leg, or silly point/silly mid off….. nobody near the bat…

Andersons second over and he’s disappearing for 6’s…. Then a rather poor attempt at preventing a 4 in the field by him is more akin to me fielding.

then a dolly of a catch pops up to short leg a couple of overs later, no short leg, Stokes does nothing! . It’s a mental watch. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭MFPM

India making heavy work of this but should get there. 76 needed with 7 wickets in hand.

As for Crawley and his interview, they take their lead from Stokes, it's robotic stuff, they've decided to deal with the media in a certain way and they all follow suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Trampas

I guess when they play county games doesn’t help. April/May and August/September when it be a seamer conditions rather than flat out pace. Is Jimmy afraid to retire?

For much of the stokes era is different the interviews are bad. It’s same answers approach and tough if you want a different one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Gillespy

First series defeat for Stokes then.Think they've acquitted themselves well overall especially considering the inexperienced spinners. Far better than any tour since 2012. Some of those were proper hammerings.

Shane Warne always said the best team will always win the test match. Someone always stood up for India when the game was in the balance. Obviously Jaiswal and Bumrah the main two but important contributions from others along the way as well. Jurel this game the big difference maker.

No real standout performances by any English player barring Root with the century….

People might point to Bashir’s economical 5 for, fair enough but to attain the 5 wickets he bowled 44 overs. Off the top of my head, a wicket only every 8.4 overs ? ….. isn’t great at all. A wicket every 52 legal deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

The fact that Bashir has now more test wickets that county championship wickets make it an impressive performance to be fair. That England have such a paucity of bowling options in general has got to be huge concern moving forward though.

Their middle order has been their biggest issue in the series really. Pope got a big hundred in the first test and looks like a walking wicket since, Root big hundred in the last test but nothing else. Bairstow hasn't hit a score at all, while Stokes has only 1 half century from 8 innings.

In other news Neil Wagner has announced his retirement from international cricket. Curious stat in particular for a bowler in that he played 64 test matches for New Zealand without ever playing an ODI or T20I. Could never understand how you are only allowed 2 bouncers per over, yet it seemed he bowled bouncers non-stop and yet was never called for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I was always wondering that about Wagner myself. Neil Short. Never pitched it up. Strange kind of approach

Fair play to him for making a career out of it but it ruins the game too much of it. Saw it too in the Ashes used very successfully by both teams. Steve Smith has been talking about it saying he'd like to see umpires call wides like they do with negative leg side bowling from spinners. Bowlers need something though and on flat slow pitches it can be the only option.

• Advertisement

So NZ vs Australia on a rather green looking Basin Reserve pitch. Smith and Khawaja opening the batting for Australia…

I’m at a loss to understand why it’s only a 2 test series , disappointing.

Aussies under the pump, 89/3 after 41. Edges being beaten repeatedly and shots going arial just avoiding fielders…. NZ unlucky not to have at least 1 more wicket. As I type they have that 1 more, 89/4… Head gone. 😅

Green's century really got Australia out of jail there. Interesting to see how NZ go in their innings.

At 156/5 you’d have thought 300 and a par total was unlikely but Australia are close to that. Green indeed to thank…

Australia 267/9 —> 332-9 and still batting…. NZ with 1 slip, no close catchers… why ? What logic is that ? The Andrew Balbernie school of captaincy….

Could see it happening OK, they are afraid of their life of Australia, never play well against them. Beat them in the world cup game by 1 wicket in a thriller, but lost the final in the first hour, and have been battered by Australia for years. Funny lot that New Zealand, a lot of people's 2nd favourite team, and a lot to like about them, but they are average every time the Aussies turn up. They are afraid of them despite all the bullshit talk

• Advertisement

This bowling is the worst I’ve seen from an international team in a single session for an age. Hazlewood charging the quicks now…. He’s a number 11 batsman ffs….this session and a bit has killed NZ, impressive from Australia though, so many rank bad short deliveries…this partnership only a couple of runs from entering the top 20, 10th wicket partnership of all time.

Still on the go at 377/9. That silly rule where they extend the session if the batting team is 9 down has been enforced.

All out 383… jeez…NZ need a very good rest of day two…. Can’t really afford to end the day 3 or 4 wickets down…. From the get go Starc has it swinging and seaming, be interesting this session… Aussie bowlers looking to have a lot more spice, pace and vigour…the edge is being beaten….a couple of times.

Latham gone early, mega late on that shot, poor batting…

now Williamson, runs himself and maybe gets run out as both batsmen collide trying to scamper a single, Jesus, talk about self destruction. Going by the replay both to blame.

Lost 3 wickets with the score on 12. Williamson run out 0 and Ravindra 0. Crazy considering Australia made 104/1 in the morning session starting on 279/9

Nuts, now 29/5.

some of these shots, 😵‍💫🤌🏻

• Advertisement

New Zealand 179, Trail by 204, Australia batted again and lost Smith in the 1st over, 0-1, but well in front. Phillips 71 for New Zealand and Henry 42. Scored quickly but not enough

Labuschagne out now 4/2. Scored 3 runs in the match off 40 balls for twice out.

Bad collapse for NZ, Williamson has been in such good form. NZ really do struggle against Australia...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭InsideEdge

Feeling a bit stupid now? You can't even spell Andrew's name properly and he has just created history, although you probably missed that the Ireland cricket team were actually playing a Test match this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Debub

Ireland win the Test match - yay

Decent fight back with the ball by NZ Philips taking 5 wickets. They need 258 with 7 wickets in hand. Williamson out cheaply again. Big ask for NZ and I suspect it'll be beyond them but it'd be great to see them win.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Debub

Surprising stats

Hardly, :)

He ‘created’ history ? The other 10 just might have something to say about that, 😅. A bizarre post, created history right, and thanks for the spelling criticism, jeez

In other news NZ collapsing. It was a challenging total to chase but losing 6 wickets for 128 runs… not good.

Lyon as he has done so often has made a big impact in this innings with 5 wickets. All over for NZ, they need 175 with only 2 wickets remaining.

• Advertisement

6 now, Lyon deserves the credit certainly but some of the shots the NZ batsmen got out trying to play to him, jaysus… 😬

Horrible performance from New Zealand. Failed to pass 200 in both innings and Cam Green got 208 for once out. Lyon controlled the 4th innings and Australia were way too good

Green innings was superb.

Lyon scored 41 in one Australian innings. So not too tough out there.

NZ Will really feel the defeat on home soil and the nature of it.

Big win for Australia, capitulation in the end by NZ, Lyon brilliant once again. It's some record by Australia in NZ, they haven't lost a test there since 1993.

I think around 8 of that NZ team are over 30…..that could be a problem now….

their U-19’s haven’t been too good in the fixtures they’ve played the past couple of years, our lads even hammered them in one game.

yes limited overs but their up and coming talent pool isn’t that great if results alone are to be interpreted…

Southee & Williamson have been two of the greatest players in this sport of the last 11 or so years… never mind just New Zealand but of cricket, they are 35 & 33 now and have played a lot of cricket… international, domestic and franchise.

Ravindra looks decent prospect and has a test hundred and an average a fraction under 40 in only a handful of tests….he is quite possibly a great find but they’ll need a few more.

Yes, he created history as the first captain of an Irish Men's cricket team to win a Test match. How is that not history? You've abused him for being a crap captain and a crap player, and consistently spelt his name wrong. Not much of a cricket fan, are you? And not much of an Irish cricket fan as you don't seem bothered to even watch this Test match but spent your time slagging off the NZ cricket players instead. You come across as a really bitter person.

No. He was part of history, he didn’t create it, jeeez 🙂

I didn’t rate him as a captain. His tactics are far too negative and have been shown up and cost Ireland previously.

his stats as a player are average yes, he doesn’t score enough runs or occasionally when he bowls he doesn’t take enough wickets.

I can comment on whatever cricket fixture or team or players here as I see fit, it’s a discussion forum, nothing said here has to suit your way out there inaccurate narrative , sorry :) … and the fact you can’t differentiate between a sportsman being ‘abused’ which is your accusation and being criticised tells me everything…. Disingenuous posting on your behalf, sorry. :)

Anyway, wonder if the English will make a change or two for this weeks test ? It’s a dead rubber in terms of the series being already lost.

But…… It would make sense for Stokes and McCullum to just want to try something different….make a change or two ?

Ollie Pope scored 196 in Hyderabad, and literally done nothing of significance in any of the other tests..even the first Hyderabad innings he was not able to contribute meaningfully…

1 & 196…23 & 23…39 & 3…0 & 0

In the past you’d say a captain was either brave or nuts to continue to select a player who over his last six innings only amassed a total of 88 runs…

English cricket is stacked high with the carcasses of cricketers who defied the hype and impressive and consistent county performances only not to step up when they were given international opportunities early up the order for England …

With the over prevalence of T20 cricket and quick runs, have too many batsmen occupying 1,2,3 in the batting order, lost the ability to drop anchor when conditions and or match situation demand ?

Nothing disingenuous at all, you have a history of slagging off players and in a very personal way. And as for Balbirnie, he did create history as the first Irish man to captain a Test winning cricket team, it's the very definition of creating history. It's curious you're now slagging off his bowling when he is not a bowler. And it's interesting that, as an Irish cricket 'fan', you haven't even given any congratulations or positive comments to this superb win but you probably didn't even see it, what with being so busy slagging off Ben Stokes. Are you even going to bother to attend any Irish internationals this summer or will you just remain on your soapbox and slag them off from there? I'd like to see you make those sort of comments at a game and to their faces and see what reaction you get.

Comment on what you like but I'll call you out for being an idiot when it is so obvious that you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 dav45

England needs to change their approach if they want to make an impact.

Again, he was part of history, not a creator of it, disingenuous , sorry.

not a bowler ? He has bowled for Ireland, I think he’s taken about 2 wickets.

I attend Irish internationals every summer and in fact have travelled to watch Ireland matches :) outside the country even !

I don’t slag off players, I will engage in meaningful criticism if I deem its valid, if you don’t, I don’t really have much of an interest, sorry.

You think posters shouldn’t criticise cricket players on a cricket forum but you don’t have a problem indulging in mindless insults and childish name calling, I refer to your use of the term above, that term being ‘idiot’… 🤷‍♂️

England tried a different approach the last game and also lost. Roots slowest hundred in years. Most of the dismissals in their second innings were to defensive shots. Duckett popped one gently to short leg when his game is power and all the sweep shots. Stokes has been out very timidly most of the series. Playing back to full balls. If you gave England no chance before the series, it's hard to be too critical of them now after winning a game and being very competitive at times in the games they came second best.

Were they that super competitive though ? Lost by…

5 wickets

434 runs 😬

106 runs

While sneaking a 28 run victory.

one absolute hammering, a mauling in fact….and two convincing defeats….

I didn’t fancy England you are right…. But I take little joy from their defeats from the perspective of a cricket fan and I’d prefer to see them competitive and consistently pushing India, cricket is such a brilliant sport when two teams are reasonably well matched….can be a bit meh otherwise….and as I’ve said, India wouldn’t be my favourite cricket nation…..but you see the English record over the last couple of decades out there, it’s difficult to see them reversing the trend…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

"Take little joy in defeats" ahhha, you take nothing but joy in defeats. Constantly slagging teams and players who lose, never give an ounce of credit to the winning team. A bitter, bitter fella. If you haven't enjoyed this England series in India then I'm not sure you're a cricket fan at all really, despite repeatedly insisting you are. Your understanding of the game seems a bit limited to me tbh, always reducing everything to the end result. England were very competitive in this series, and it has produced plenty of good cricket.

I’ve enjoyed it, and I’m perfectly entitled to critique teams and players, :). If you want to enter into a civil discussion, but nope, again with the name calling :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm a lurker more than a poster, read most threads but prob ~100 posts in cricket in 20 years. So feel free to ignore this.

I have definitely noticed that you tend to come across very negative to the loser of a contest - X beats Y and it's all about how terrible/disgraceful Y played, bad decisions made etc. And when Y beat X a month later then it's all about how the disgraceful shambles/flaws of X cricket. But you know, in every sporting contest there is by definition going to be a winner and a loser (albeit cricket has a draw obv); oftentimes the loser hasn't actually done much wrong.

As said just an independent observation, and probably not the way you intend your posts to come across. But they do imo.

Cricket is a very multifaceted, multiskilled and multidimensional sport and if an aspect of performances, be it captaincy, batting, bowling, fielding, umpiring isn’t great…. I’ll discuss that, same as I will and do the positive aspects…. Our opinions are born of our own personal perspective of the sport….i can discuss civilly with anyone, agree, disagree, debate and so on. There are negatives so justifiably they can and should be discussed,

I'll take it in small steps so your little brain might be able to understand.

Balbirnie created history by being captain of the first Irish Men's cricket team to win a Test match. His decisions taken in this game were integral to the win. Those decisions were: choosing the XI players; choosing when to introduce a bowler and how long to bowl him for; choosing which end bowlers bowl from (in this game this was a key element with a very strong wind blowing across the ground); placing fielders in the right place; attacking the Afghan batters at the right time; getting reviews right.

All of these decisions taken together created the win. From what you are saying, Balbirnie just stood by while the game went on around him and did nothing to create the win. That shows that you didn't watch this game and that you don't understand the concept of captaincy when it comes to cricket.

And you quite obviously slag off players, I'm not the only one to notice that. Your 'criticism' lacks nuance, consideration and balance. And you still haven't mentioned what an achievement it was by Balbirnie and his team to win their first Test match, not much of an Irish fan are you?

As for the name-calling, when you show yourself to be an idiot I've no problem in pointing that out.

^ you seem obsessed with brains, quite frankly it is very odd, amusing and passive aggressive but anyway…. 🙃

he was captain for what 12 years ?

how many international tournaments did we qualify for under that captaincy ?

how many occasions did we celebrate with gusto when we achieved an odd landmark victory vs England say, yet scarcely a mention when we were underperforming and being beaten by the like of Scotland and Oman, both incidentally, games that really mattered too. With him underperforming and not changing fields, bowlers, being completely non reactive ?

You might be an AB fanboy, good for you, you might be even related I don’t care really.

But his record isn’t all that enviable really….

we’ve had some good players as part of our ‘11’ in his time as we continue to do now.. so stick up for him all you like but where criticism is warranted I’m willing to discuss that, regardless of insults….which ain’t very off putting, sorry ;)

It's really telling that you can't even congratulate Balbirnie and the team for a unique win, something you didn't even bother watching as an Irish 'fan'. Your obsession with slagging off players comes across as really bitter and you can't even acknowledge when a captain creates history for his country. You don't offer criticism at all, just relentless slagging off, which is pretty much the opposite of a discussion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement