Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Les Miserables SEE MOD WARNING POST #1924 + #2755

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ruan Pienaar's sister was killed in a car accident today. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

awec wrote: »

Very sad to read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Terrible news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Awful news. Thoughts with ruan and his family

How did Henderson get on?

• Advertisement

How did Henderson get on?

At times it looked like he went through the motions a bit, but he played the whole 80 minutes. So there is no reason to think he won't be available for next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Jesus, that's awful news.

Final six league games...

Zebre (h)
    Dragons (a)
    Kings (h)
    Glasgow (a)
    Edinburgh (a)
    Leinster (h)

We need 14 and probably 15 points from the next 3 games, that would get us to 53/54 points. Then we have to remember we will be at full strength for the last three games. If we get 6 or 7 points from those three that will get us to 59/60. Will that be enough for 3rd place? Last season 60 points wouldn't even have got you 4th in Conference B.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

bilston wrote: »

Zebre (h)
    Dragons (a)
    Kings (h)
    Glasgow (a)
    Edinburgh (a)
    Leinster (h)

We need 14 and probably 15 points from the next 3 games, that would get us to 53/54 points. Then we have to remember we will be at full strength for the last three games. If we get 6 or 7 points from those three that will get us to 59/60. Will that be enough for 3rd place? Last season 60 points wouldn't even have got you 4th in Conference B.

The last 3 look to be very tough! They should win the next 3 imo.
    I think they've been very good this year, considering the crap they had to deal with last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Zebre (h)
    Dragons (a)
    Kings (h)
    Glasgow (a)
    Edinburgh (a)
    Leinster (h)

Leinster is a 5 pointer.

Next up
    Benetton v Dragons
    Embra v Blues

Then
    Benetton v Embra

Connacht v Benetton
    Embra v Leinster

Scarlets v Embra
    Leinster v Benetton

Will go down to round 21

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Leinster is a 5 pointer.

Next up
    Benetton v Dragons
    Embra v Blues

Then
    Benetton v Embra

Connacht v Benetton
    Embra v Leinster

Scarlets v Embra
    Leinster v Benetton

Will go down to round 21

Leinster a 5 pointer?

I assume your logic is they will have the conference sorted by then (well before then!), I'd never predict a 5 pointer against Leinster, but it probably isn't the worst time to play them. At full strength I fancy we can pick one win in Scotland, but it will be so tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster a 5 pointer?

I assume your logic is they will have the conference sorted by then (well before then!), I'd never predict a 5 pointer against Leinster, but it probably isn't the worst time to play them. At full strength I fancy we can pick one win in Scotland, but it will be so tight.

You’ll beat us in Belfast. We were very poor at the end of last season when there was nothing to play for and there was a fair bit of that on show yesterday too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Leinster will have the pool sorted by then. I am sure, if Ulster are in need of a win, Leinster will conveniently rest a few. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

Leinster will have the pool sorted by then. I am sure, if Ulster are in need of a win, Leinster will conveniently rest a few. ;)

I expect they’ll send every international they have, including his holiness, the World Player of the Year ... of course that’s only because they’ll be after revenge after getting hammered out of the European Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

I expect they’ll send every international they have, including his holiness, the World Player of the Year ... of course that’s only because they’ll be after revenge after getting hammered out of the European Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

stl.ire wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

stl.ire wrote: »

No shame on Leinster in losing to Racing or Toulouse in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭launish116

launish116 wrote: »

What was the incident?

What was the incident?

There's a link on the Ireland thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No ban for Henderson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2019/02/academy-trio-commit-futures-to-ulster/

Lowry, Hume and O'Sullivan all sign contracts. Exciting players that'll be essential to our imminent European dynasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Surprisingly , no Dalton?
    Three fine prospects though. I think they will thrive at Ulster.
    EOS at the rate he's going will be in the mix for an international cap.
    Hume will replace Cave. I'd like to see cave extended for a year.
    Lowry has some work ons in defense, but he's a playmaker!

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Surprisingly , no Dalton?
    Three fine prospects though. I think they will thrive at Ulster.
    EOS at the rate he's going will be in the mix for an international cap.
    Hume will replace Cave. I'd like to see cave extended for a year.
    Lowry has some work ons in defense, but he's a playmaker!

EOS looks a little small for international duty tbh, and his scrummaging hasn't been great either. Excellent around the pitch, great line speed, and a tackle machine at times though.

I've been a fan of Hume for a while, despite not getting up to much for the u20's. He looks to have sorted his defence out, and he's looked really nice in attack in his cameo's.

Lowry will always have trouble with his size, but he's an excellent flyhalf regardless.

EOS looks a little small for international duty tbh, and his scrummaging hasn't been great either. Excellent around the pitch, great line speed, and a tackle machine at times though.

I've been a fan of Hume for a while, despite not getting up to much for the u20's. He looks to have sorted his defence out, and he's looked really nice in attack in his cameo's.

Lowry will always have trouble with his size, but he's an excellent flyhalf regardless.

Lowry's size may prove a hindrance to him making it for Ireland but he has already proved to be a very good player for Ulster at a very young age. He has work instead but I'm hopeful he has a big future with Ulster ahead of him.

Hume has done well this season, don't forget that last year he missed most of the season through injury. Anyway performances at Pro 14 level count more than U20s IMO and while he didn't stand out at 20s level he has looked good for Ulster. He is powerful and has really good hands. He looks to be in the Cave mould of a centre.

EOS has been the find of the season, Lowry and Hume have been sort of earmarked form the age of 15 or 16 but O'Sullivan has come out of nowhere (to me anyway). I reckon he has the potential to play for Ireland. He seems to be doing fine in the scrum and is very good around the park. He is also a good link man.

With the news that Callum Reid looks set to be committing to rugby, we may do pretty well in the front row in the next few years with O'Sullivan, Reid, Moore, O'Toole and Kane.

Lowry's size may prove a hindrance to him making it for Ireland but he has already proved to be a very good player for Ulster at a very young age. He has work instead but I'm hopeful he has a big future with Ulster ahead of him.

Hume has done well this season, don't forget that last year he missed most of the season through injury. Anyway performances at Pro 14 level count more than U20s IMO and while he didn't stand out at 20s level he has looked good for Ulster. He is powerful and has really good hands. He looks to be in the Cave mould of a centre.

EOS has been the find of the season, Lowry and Hume have been sort of earmarked form the age of 15 or 16 but O'Sullivan has come out of nowhere (to me anyway). I reckon he has the potential to play for Ireland. He seems to be doing fine in the scrum and is very good around the park. He is also a good link man.

With the news that Callum Reid looks set to be committing to rugby, we may do pretty well in the front row in the next few years with O'Sullivan, Reid, Moore, O'Toole and Kane.

Lowry, Hume and Reid were all very highly rated early on. Just need to get Rhys O'Donnell in the academy now as well. I was a fan of Reid, but he's missed a lot of rugby, so probably need to keep expectations in check and be patient with him.

Hume really impressed me against Munster - broke a few tackles and caused trouble for Arnold by attacking his outside shoulder. Showed he can take contact as well in tight games like against Benetton I think it was.

EOS came out of nowhere because he came from Leinster, who are ridiculously stacked at prop. I'd love to be proved wrong but I would have doubts about his potential as an international - but he's still young and relatively inexperienced, so plenty of time for improvement and at the very least he'll be an excellent player for Ulster for years to come. It's not an ideal tactic but I wouldn't a few more players coming north like EOS and O'Connor to plug a few holes while we sort out our underage coaching and academy. Shamelessly I'd be having a look at Charlie Ryan as Leinster have quite a few 2nd rows coming through the academy ahead of him.

Matt Faddes seems to have put in a good shift for the Highlanders this morning. I just watched some highlights that were posted on uafc. Looks like he enjoys a hard line from nowhere, he also seems to have great feet.

He could be a really good signing if confirmed.

Nelson at 10 and McPhillips on the bench.

I suspect Johnny isn't long for the Ulster squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ulster team named for weekend. Most curious/disappointing call is to see Peter Nelson starting at 10 ahead of McPhillips. The coaching staff must really not rate the young outhalf.

I assume Lowry is out after taking that bash against the Ospreys. BB still out too?

At least some key players are building up a good run of games and the match fitness of guys like Moore will be hitting a decent level now.

(15-9): L Ludik; R Baloucoune, D Cave, S McCloskey, R Lyttle; P Nelson, D Shanahan;
    (1-8): E O’Sullivan, R Herring, M Moore, A O’Connor (captain), K Treadwell, C Ross, S Reidy, N Timoney;
    Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, A Warwick, R Kane, I Nagle, G Jones, J Stewart, J McPhillips, J Hume.

• Advertisement

The front row is pretty good, but the second row and back row is so average. The half backs are a concern, the centres and back three are fine.

Is that side good enough to pick up a TBP win? I'm not certain at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement