Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Les Miserables SEE MOD WARNING POST #1924 + #2755

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't see Ed Byrne as a top quality lh. He plays against the poor sides in the pro 14.
    He may prove me wrong.
    Ulster look to be building a new squad and Jack will certainly help.
    It's tough for Leinster, losing Jordi and now possibly Jack. Then Moore is playing great stuff too.
    Ulster look to have found a gem in E.O.S
    So, they're going to have depth, if Jack moves north.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yes they are unwilling to do a combination of guaranteeing gametime and paying sufficient money. That is what letting go is, otherwise they have never let anyone who has not retired go.

They could keep him if they really wanted to.

Firstly money isn’t an issue because Ulster can’t offer more than Leinster. If he was going for money, he’d be going abroad. On the gametime before his injury he was swapping starts with Healy, if he got fully fit and inform he probably would be again. Other than that they’d be dropping the number one loosehead in the country to give starts to an injured prop. Luckily they’re not smoking what you are, so that won’t happen.

They could bring in Beauden Barret if they really wanted to. If we are discussing fantasies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I don't see Ed Byrne as a top quality lh. He plays against the poor sides in the pro 14.
    He may prove me wrong.

I think he will. He played in 3 of the HEC pool games from the bench and looked completely at home in all 3 including the Toulouse game.

If it wasn't for injuries, I think Byrne would have been in this position a year ago at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

stephen_n wrote: »
    Firstly money isn’t an issue because Ulster can’t offer more than Leinster. If he was going for money, he’d be going abroad. On the gametime before his injury he was swapping starts with Healy, if he got fully fit and inform he probably would be again. Other than that they’d be dropping the number one loosehead in the country to give starts to an injured prop. Luckily they’re not smoking what you are, so that won’t happen.

They could bring in Beauden Barret if they really wanted to. If we are discussing fantasies.

You asked me to justify why I thought they were letting him go, I am explaining that they could keep him if they performed certain actions, they have decided not to, therefore they are letting him go. I have never said that they should try to keep him.

What is your obsession with drugs anyway?

You asked me to justify why I thought they were letting him go, I am explaining that they could keep him if they performed certain actions, they have decided not to, therefore they are letting him go. I have never said that they should try to keep him.

What is your obsession with drugs anyway?

You are the one that said we should let Conan go to keep Doris and Deegan. You seem to be laboring under some dilussion that any team is going to willingly let international players go to other clubs. What you are suggesting is that he should be played ahead of currently better options or paid as much as better options to keep him. That’s a completely ridiculous assessment, Leinster will do everything in their power to keep McGrath. However should he decide to leave then there’s nothing reasonable anyone can do to stop him. It’s clearly not a case of choosing younger players over established internationals which was your original point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

stephen_n wrote: »
    You are the one that said we should let Conan go to keep Doris and Deegan. You seem to be laboring under some dilussion that any team is going to willingly let international players go to other clubs. What you are suggesting is that he should be played ahead of currently better options or paid as much as better options to keep him. That’s a completely ridiculous assessment, Leinster will do everything in their power to keep McGrath. However should he decide to leave then there’s nothing reasonable anyone can do to stop him. It’s clearly not a case of choosing younger players over established internationals which was your original point.

I think you are putting words in my mouth here, I have not suggested that leinster do anything to keep McGrath, I am stating that they could do things to keep McGrath. "Everything in their power" includes the measures that you state are "ridiculous". My original point was that leinster are overstaffed and can't possibly satisfy both McGrath and Ed Byrne for example, this is true and they have resolved the situation by satisfying one and not the other, one is more demanding than the other I'm sure but the fact is that they have allowed McGrath to go because keeping him is not worth the cost, mostly in terms of game time. Everything is a negotiation.

It turned out to be true, other things I suggested as a possibility turned out not to be true, such is the nature of conjecture but none of the suggestion indicate that they are the result of ingesting strong drugs as you have suggested, indeed the fact that one came true would imply it was far from being absurd.

I think you are putting words in my mouth here, I have not suggested that leinster do anything to keep McGrath, I am stating that they could do things to keep McGrath. "Everything in their power" includes the measures that you state are "ridiculous". My original point was that leinster are overstaffed and can't possibly satisfy both McGrath and Ed Byrne for example, this is true and they have resolved the situation by satisfying one and not the other, one is more demanding than the other I'm sure but the fact is that they have allowed McGrath to go because keeping him is not worth the cost, mostly in terms of game time. Everything is a negotiation.

It turned out to be true, other things I suggested as a possibility turned out not to be true, such is the nature of conjecture but none of the suggestion indicate that they are the result of ingesting strong drugs as you have suggested, indeed the fact that one came true would imply it was far from being absurd.
    Being unwilling to do anything (without acception) does not equal being willing.

It's mad that Jack and Byrne are even being discussed in this format.
    Who would have believed it a few months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

Dubinusa wrote: »
    It's mad that Jack and Byrne are even being discussed in this format.
    Who would have believed it a few months ago!

It's great currently, but there will come a time when our backline talent might start being poached. Do feel for Leinster.

If this is a personal decision and he come's to set a bench mark! we can only be so lucky. The trickle affect he could potentially have is completely undervalued.

Jack is recovering from injury. He's not had much of a run.
    I would bet he's going to hit form relatively soon. If so and Ulster sign him, I think Ulster would be in a position to possibly win something!
    The Ulster backline is really looking good. I think if anything, Gilroy may look to move. The pressure is coming from the younger lads and they're all looking like keepers.
    Gilroy would be a steal for another province!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

An article about Peter Nelson in the42, with conjecture that he'll start at 10 against the Dragons.

I did hear at the weekend that the powers that be felt McPhilips had reached his ceiling, and wasn't going to kick on. Surely he's better than Nelson, though?

An article about Peter Nelson in the42, with conjecture that he'll start at 10 against the Dragons.

I did hear at the weekend that the powers that be felt McPhilips had reached his ceiling, and wasn't going to kick on. Surely he's better than Nelson, though?

You’re probably better than Nelson. That’s a strange one as McPhillips showed far more in those games at the end of last season than Nelson ever has. New coach and the face doesn’t fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It'd be extremely harsh to close the door on a 21/22 year old like that so fast, especially considering he had some good performances last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

It'd be extremely harsh to close the door on a 21/22 year old like that so fast, especially considering he had some good performances last year.

If someone is not getting game time they are not going to improve. He needs to get out of ulster, he's confidence must be shot... He went from keeping ulster in the champions Cup to 3rd choice outhalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Not a single ulster man in the starting pack against the dragons is some feat, not a good one mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

case885 wrote: »
    Not a single ulster man in the starting pack against the dragons is some feat, not a good one mind.

True, but it's not the first time it's happened and it won't be the last. In fact it will probably get worse before it gets better when Best retires. Unless McBurney or Andrew overtake Herring next year then Hendo will be our only homegrown starting forward.

Good to see Rea Snr back, hopefully he can get an injury free run and gain some form. Really need a proper 6!

Sean Reidy has been withdrawn from tomorrows game with a leg injury. Clive Ross brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

case885 wrote: »
    They are Ulstermen m8

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Is the Ulster game on eirSport? Ultimate Rugby says it is, but no sign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

its on premier sport you hav eto tune it in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

premier sports 2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That's a card. For sure.

errlloyd wrote: »
    That's a card. For sure.

Offside and deliberate knock down.

Rucks been a mess so far.

Jaysis, that pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well I thought that try would never come!

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well I thought that try would never come!

Going to be one of those games, we play all the rugby and scrape home. Dragons such a negative team.

Wow, what a tackle to prevent the try!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

launish116 wrote: »
    Going to be one of those games, we play all the rugby and scrape home. Dragons such a negative team.
    And the pitch is awful, which doesn't help. I can see Dragons being worn out by half time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

launish116 wrote: »

Are we not playing into a really strong wind? The fact the Dragons are using up so much energy tackling now means they could well struggle in the second half. Time will tell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement