Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Les Miserables SEE MOD WARNING POST #1924 + #2755

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Great news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

launish116 wrote: »
    Faddes plus LH is us set id say!

Would love another backrow but cant see it.

Wonder will we be getting a project or poach some IQ players.

5 year project? Would need to be 22 at most to have any value to the IRFU. Far more likely to be an IQ player like Addison, if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

Any idea what IQ props/squad players looking gametime are floating about?

Jack O'Connel 28 - Ealing
    Ed Byrne 25 - Leinster
    Peter Dooley 24 - Leinster
    Denis Coulson 24 - unknown

Was chat of Buckley, but the42.ie stating he's about to resign with Connacht after interest from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Whoop!

Missed this news earlier!

Great news for a Wednesday lunchtime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ed Byrne 25 - Leinster

Was chat of Buckley, but the42.ie stating he's about to resign with Connacht after interest from us.

No chance of Coulson going to Ulster that would be a PR nightmare.

Ed Byrne is third choice for Leinster, so unlikely to move I’d imagine.

Daniel Brennan would be a possibility, but he turned down a move to Munster, so might not want to play here. (Scratch that, he’s a tighthead)

stephen_n wrote: »
    No chance of Coulson going to Ulster that would be a PR nightmare.

Ed Byrne is third choice for Leinster, so unlikely to move I’d imagine.

Daniel Brennan would be a possibility, but he turned down a move to Munster, so might not want to play here.

In agreement with Coulson, which is a shame he was handy enough for Connacht.

Couldn't see Brennan either, for various reasons.

Really leaves Dooley or O'Connel unless Ulster have dug up another find like Addison. Can't really think of anyone else currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ed Byrne 25 - Leinster

Coulson's currently playing AIL with Lansdowne.

But as stephen_n said, would be an absolute PR disaster given everything over the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I dream of a day when I see Coulson and Brennan lining out at loose and tighthead for Ulster respectively as the PR and marketing team collect their P45s.

Jonny Petrie effectively ruled out Jackson and Olding ever returning to Ulster in an interview on BBC NI this evening.

As much as I didn't agree with them being "released", I think this is the right call. It's time to move on. Ulster are moving forward on, and it seems off the pitch, even though both players could improve us significantly I think it would be a step backwards and we don't need that. We've moved past it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

bilston wrote: »
    Jonny Petrie effectively ruled out Jackson and Olding ever returning to Ulster in an interview on BBC NI this evening.

As much as I didn't agree with them being "released", I think this is the right call. It's time to move on. Ulster are moving forward on, and it seems off the pitch, even though both players could improve us significantly I think it would be a step backwards and we don't need that. We've moved past it.

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/1093200826213036034?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I don't see why BBC would even ask the question, everyone has moved on, including the players

Shefwedfan wrote: »

I don't see why BBC would even ask the question, everyone has moved on, including the players

Journalists....click bate. Bigger news if they can throw Paddy and Stuart under a bus. It is a shame the Ceo is being asked about thibgs prior to his arrival.

That aside been very impressed so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

senior cup final is tomorrow night in Ravenhill. Armagh play Ballymena

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

That report says he can play both sides but prefers Tighthead. It would be better if he preferred Loosehead!

That report says he can play both sides but prefers Tighthead. It would be better if he preferred Loosehead!

130kg is far too big to be a modern loosehead.

troyzer wrote: »
    How is he Irish qualified?

Probably a grandparent is Irish

Agreed, hopefully he is Herbst replacement. Scary thought 20mins to go and a 130kg prop coming on to hit the game line.

Only worry it must of been hard enough recruiting one IQ prop, yet finding a second?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Unless you're Karl Tu'inukuafe

Unbelievable that he's 135kgs.

But he is definitely an exception

Unless you're Karl Tu'inukuafe

Unbelievable that he's 135kgs.

But he is definitely an exception

When he was working as a bouncer a couple years ago, he was 175kg. The man's not human.

Also, Ollie Kebble the Glasgow loosehead is 128kg, Healy was 125kg before he shed the extra weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Never seen him play, but seems Conor Carey is replacing him at Worcester. Would it not have been better for Carey an ulster man with pro14 experience going straight to ulster? Obviously in real life it’s not as simple as that but I hadn’t heard anything about interest from ulster in Carey

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Never seen him play, but seems Conor Carey is replacing him at Worcester. Would it not have been better for Carey an ulster man with pro14 experience going straight to ulster? Obviously in real life it’s not as simple as that but I hadn’t heard anything about interest from ulster in Carey

You'd think they'd want McAlister/Carey back and start putting some Ulstermen back in the pack. Saying that Worcester are starting to build a right wee Ulster contingent.

If this signing has come from Dan i'll be happy, as long as another LH is coming. Bar a decent Pro14 workhouse standard back row to help with rotation, we have a good we pack building.

Milasinovich starts against Saracens tonight also! might be worth a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Do Ulster really need another tighthead? I thought they'd have sufficient cover with Moore, Kane and O'Toole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Right, a top level lh is required!
    They are putting together a new squad and in fairness, they're doing very well!
    The influx should if help and they will be a tough side to beat!

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Do Ulster really need another tighthead? I thought they'd have sufficient cover with Moore, Kane and O'Toole.

I'd say you need four THs in a squad these days.

But our need is certainly greater at LH.

Might they consider switching one of the THs?

I'd say you need four THs in a squad these days.

But our need is certainly greater at LH.

Four is a bit much don't you think?

Leinster have four and they lose two to Ireland camp. Four seems excessive for Ulster, at most they'll lose Moore. And even that doesn't look likely.

• Advertisement

Four is a bit much don't you think?

Leinster have four and they lose two to Ireland camp. Four seems excessive for Ulster, at most they'll lose Moore. And even that doesn't look likely.

Not really Troyzer. I'd definitely want 3 THs and a 4th prop who can play TH. Two injured THs and you are one injury away from serious problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement