Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Rights Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if they wanted to stop the decline or stop it starting to decline then they should have brought out a cheaper product that was value for money.
    before this ad the decline was cause by the insane prices of their razers and the very poor value for money. yes they were goo but not worth anywhere near the price. i havent bought their razers in 6-7 years.my GF used to buy them for my birthday, xmass etc .those were used for special ocasions rather than day to day shaving. cheap (not too cheap) razers do the job perfectly fine. why would you spend 25 euro + for 5 razers when 2-3 euro will by 10 perfectly good ones.
    i have thrown out any gillette handle i have . no point keeping rubish

this ad is just a nail in the coffin for their razers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I'm sorry to be this dismissive of your view, but there was absolutely nothing smart about this strategy, they were losing market share to smaller smarter competition so I can understand trying something new and they felt they were out of options, that much i can get.

There is nobody who isn't aware of how divisive public discourse is these days and they chose to attempt to use this discourse to connect with a new demographic....there is no way they didn't consider the 750 million male customers they already had (altho it is thought that women buy 30% of the blades for their partners), when you deliberately pick a side in a toxic culture we are witnessing, there is no way back....

This won't be the last of these kinds of debacles, it will however be the biggest, they have probably lost nearly 75 million customers, and the way retail operates, this is only starting to hurt their factory sales.

They knew instantly they had a big big big problem, those male customers are the type that spend a lot of time on youtube (which they would have known), Youtube gave them an instant barometre of how the ad was being received, forget about mainstream media which all reported glowingly on the ad (remember, Proctor and Gamble are one of the largest buyers of ad space globally) they were getting an horrific message from Youtube and they chose to ignore.

The ad could have gone with the same message with a bit of subtly and creativity, but radical feminists are known for either!

The CEO (Gary Coombe) will go down in infamy as will Kim Gherig, the radical feminist who got the gig because of an industry initiative that would allow women win contracts were not winning!

It is a clusterf##k from start to finish...

Your not being dismissive as we all have different opinions. You don't have to agree with mine and i don't have to agree with yours.

Regardless the proof/the damage done to the brand will be viewed not just on the past year or so but longer term. Would anyone on this thread go back if they go the price point right?

We shall have to see if they can bounce back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/movies/jack-reynor-pushed-for-full-frontal-nudity-in-midsommar/ar-AADTRdF

Does anybody else find the mentions of toxic masculinity kind of disturbing? Like, to me, it's coming across as a kind of corective rape and, truth be told, I feel like i've been noticing this humiliation towards 'toxic men' more and more in american cinema.

Edit: Also, from the little I know about Sweden, I am not suprised it was filmed/produced/whatever there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/movies/jack-reynor-pushed-for-full-frontal-nudity-in-midsommar/ar-AADTRdF

Does anybody else find the mentions of toxic masculinity kind of disturbing? Like, to me, it's coming across as a kind of corective rape and, truth be told, I feel like i've been noticing this humiliation towards 'toxic men' more and more in american cinema.

Edit: Also, from the little I know about Sweden, I am not suprised it was filmed/produced/whatever there.
    "When I read the script, I saw an opportunity to take a character who exhibits a lot of archetypal male characteristics - like male toxicity
    I don't recall female actors saying something equivalent about females

I think they're alot of 'nice guys' coming up in Hollywood unfortunately. It's a shame, but I can't really watch The Boys because of how they treated the Starlight character.

Not so much for the blackmail aspect, but more because it's a waste of a character. Wouldn't it have been so much better if the character had her own intrinsic belief in regards to the superheroes rather than have an external element intrude?

I like the magic genre, so that did oddly annoy me from reading up on it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Strange. My recollection of the film is that he was basically a nice guy who didn't want to dump his girlfriend in case it upset her too much - hence her being added to the Sweden trip. Hardly 'toxic masculinity'.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/30/french-council-fined-having-many-female-managers/
    A district council in eastern France has been fined €90,000 (£81,000) for appointing too many women to its management team in breach of public-sector gender parity laws.
    Jean-François Debat, the chairman of the Bourg-en-Bresse council, is unapologetic. “I think it’s comical to be punished for this reason,” he said. “Not only do I stand by our appointments, I’m proud of having so many women in our management teams.”

According to the local prefecture, the district council has appointed four women for each man in a senior post.

Mr Debat plans to appeal to the government to lift the fine. “Our council deserves to be applauded, not penalised,” he said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

iptba wrote: »

They could give his job to a woman and there's a chance a lot of the female employees would quit/be fired :P

I wonder do many men have to deal with issues like this:
    TOKYO, Sept 10 (Reuters) - A male employee is suing sportswear maker Asics Corp for alleged mistreatment after taking paternity leave, a case that has shone a spotlight on gender equality and workers' rights in Japan.
    http://news.trust.org/item/20190910071358-ag3nc/

I think the publication may be a little biased and how it deals with such issues:
    About our Women coverage
    We focus on stories that help to empower women and bring lasting change to gender inequality

• Advertisement

From Australia:
    World Suicide Prevention Day 2019 is tomorrow, September 10.

In theory, it should provide an opportunity to raise honest awareness around the issue, and shine a light on what action we can take to drive the number of suicides down.

However, no politician seems to want to face up the truth about soaring rates of male suicide. Deaths from suicide occur at a rate three times higher in men than that of females.
    What there won’t be is discussion around the latest ABS data. Figures from 2017 show very clearly what factors are contributing to the soaring suicide rates.

The published ABS statistics list the most frequently occurring psychosocial risk factors in coroner-certified deaths in Australia. Top of the list is a personal history of self-harm, followed by disruption of family by separation and divorce, and then problems relating to legal circumstances.

So, in light of this, why on earth is society dragging its heels in acknowledging the impact of family law and custody disputes on the heartbreaking suicide rate?
    https://www.spectator.com.au/2019/09/the-question-no-politician-wants-to-face-about-suicide/

US story from 2015:
    A Father's Fight to Win Back His Daughter Secretly Put Up for Adoption
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/fathers-fight-win-back-daughter-secretly-put-adoption/story?id=33237316

(9 minutes)

I didn't know where he was going with this, but it all made sense, later on.
    It's about the Mike Pence rule and the like.

I know with medicine, potential harms are taken very seriously. They don't have to occur in a high percentage of cases to be taken seriously. I suppose it is similar in general with workplace safety.

iptba wrote: »
    (9 minutes)

I didn't know where he was going with this, but it all made sense, later on.
    It's about the Mike Pence rule and the like.

I know with medicine, potential harms are taken very seriously. They don't have to occur in a high percentage of cases to be taken seriously. I suppose it is similar in general with workplace safety.

He's honestly not wrong.

It is absurd that men are expected to help women get ahead in business when a) they are the competition and b) There is a massive sweeping under the rug of the problems of false accusations in the Anglo-Saxon world.

Here's the latest batch of gender-related hashtags I have noticed trending for anyone interested (I know some are not)
    (Aside: I'm not on Twitter 24/7 of course and don't look back at lists for when I wasn't on)

Really, not many hashtags to report on but considering there are a number of Twitter ads, I thought I might post now, so the post doesn't get too long.

Twitter ad:
    https://twitter.com/20x20_ie/status/1157244474491379712?s=11

Twitter ad:
    https://twitter.com/20x20_ie/status/1160224204505210882?s=11

Twitter ad:
    https://twitter.com/AIGIreland/status/1164915707634704384?s=20

Twitter ad:
    https://twitter.com/lidl_ireland/status/1164185992045244416?s=11

#VisibleWomen
    Visible Women
    @Visible_Women
    Where young women/girls meet female role models & mentors in male dominated industries. set up by
    @barbarakasumu
    #VisibleWomen #IAmVisible #Ementoring #Mentors

Twitter ad
    https://twitter.com/facsnsw/status/1164704189399724032?s=11

Twitter ad
    https://twitter.com/threeireland/status/1166625933790519297?s=11

Twitter ad
    https://twitter.com/aigireland/status/1171061193416593408?s=11

#20x20

#ProperFan
    [Hashtag used if you support ladies/female GAA]

Is it crazy that I think that this is more about a rise in false accusations?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/13/senior-police-officer-raises-concerns-over-prosecutions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Not sure where to stick this, found by boards user Zory. Shows how marketing towards men can be done right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT-QiMZkAn8&feature=youtu.be

The movie Hustler's is interesting in how it is described as 'empowering' for women. It's a movie about women drugging and perhaps sexually assaulting men for money :P

But, what's very interesting is that there is a psychological 'venus flytrap' towards male sexuality. You can see the same in a lot of feminist art where they show something 'sexy' and then make the man feel dirty/afraid for looking. You can kind of see it in the movie Midsommar as well where the man is set on fire for cheating, or you can see it in modern day where a woman where's a low cut top and then glares at a man for looking.

It's kind of a random note, but I do feel really toxic movies coming out about male sexulity lately.

Edit: Here's a lovely article

https://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/hustlers-review-jennifer-lopez-1203324866/
    And a group of New York strippers — who baited, drugged and stole from the rich to give to their relatively poor selves — were hailed as the defiant heroines in what the press called “a modern Robin Hood story.”

Edit 2:

You know, this really is an interesting movie/phenomenon.

There's also an element of 'white feminism' as it kind of portrays minority women as dangerous seducers or as lower class strippers/criminals. Which is silly as strippers actually make quite good money, and women in the sex work most probably make more than that vaunted 100 k in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

^^

i wonder what you make of this, there is an analysis of a wonder woman scene in the middle of this that kind of blew my mind. i do wonder how deliberate movies are in terms of pushing certain ideas, in this case beyond superficially trying to pander to a female audience?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I skipped to the wonder woman part, but it sounds like it makes a lot of sense tbh. Like to a disturbing if not suprising agree, but I think men, unfortunately, have always been seen as needing training to be a better man. And, I will also add that men were never 'above' women. They had their areas of power and women had their areas of power, and no society will function if one group is always looking to be above another.

It sounds really, really random, but I am starting to wonder if there's some social engineering/devaluing going on by local American powers/foreign governments in regards to Hollywood and gender.

Excuse my little diversion :P But, I think I will mention something that I noticed in the main promotional image of Hustlers (because it really is fascinating). You can see it in this article that I have linked.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/09/18/hustlers-oscars-box-office-40m-jennifer-lopez-constance-wu-stx-joker-tarantino-downton-abbey/#47d0ab2518da

You can find it online, but there are four women in the photo. Lopez draws the eye as she is facing the audience in a rather revealing dress. There is a blonde woman with very agressive animal posture (head lowered, theet showing, sharpened nails pointing at J los breast), and then there is Constance Wu with an overly large phallic object taking self enjoyment in a very masculine sense of the word :P Throughout it all there is a sense of laughter that I think plays into the male fear of a group of women laughing.

Eh, there's nothing really new here. Minority women (In this case slavic, Hispanic, Black and Asain) have always been demonized and portrayed as the barracudas of society, and a certain subsection of toxic women have always had a Venus Flytrap mentality. The psychology at play is basic and catty and almost animalistic in the promotional photo.

And I will some up by saying that I think the directors a bit of a creep from looking at the body language of her around Jennifer Lopez. There is quite a domineering touch in some of the photos and reminds me of the body language of the director of American Honey who is known for recruiting impressionable young women and then discarding them. I decided to link the photo as it really is a case of a photo telling a thousand words.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/hustlers-lorene-scafaria-big-ticket-podcast-1203340464/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i was hoping these obnoxious gender fantasy movies would lose money but this one looks like it will make a profit because it was cheap to make. it looks like Disney and Marvel might drop more sales the more woke they get so hopefully "the market" will vote with their wallets as they tend to make movies less watchable.
    the picture is funny though, nothing phallic about it at all lol , no sir'ee

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    ^^

i wonder what you make of this, there is an analysis of a wonder woman scene in the middle of this that kind of blew my mind. i do wonder how deliberate movies are in terms of pushing certain ideas, in this case beyond superficially trying to pander to a female audience?

I'm glad i haven't really watched may films in the last 10 or 15 years. All that sounds pure cringe.

Is it working though, are those films doing well?

(Not important)
    I just got this message in a medical update I'm subscribed to. I think there would be quite a reluctance to say something comparable to women.

https://www.jwatch.org/fw115849/2019/09/23/clinical-conversations-pay-women-pediatricians-lags
    Clinical Conversations: Pay for Women Pediatricians Lags

By the Editors

A national sample of early- to midcareer pediatricians shows that women are lagging behind men in compensation, and another study from the sample shows that they're not getting much help with the housework either. Clinical Conversations' Joe Elia talks with two of the authors of these studies and gets their advice on what to do next — besides emptying the dishwasher and folding some laundry, gentlemen.

Clinical Conversations podcast (running time, 21 min.) (Free)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

Like to a disturbing if not suprising agree, but I think men, unfortunately, have always been seen as needing training to be a better man. And, I will also add that men were never 'above' women. They had their areas of power and women had their areas of power, and no society will function if one group is always looking to be above another.

I'd agree men were never 'above' women, women always had their power also.

The metric of a 'better man' must be seen from a woman's eyes, they mean a man that suits women better IMO. There is no objective 'best man' you see what I mean.

To equate this with your point in bold; this is a story that has resonated with people throughout time. Look at Beauty and the Beast or The Pig King. I think there may be some 'truth' in this specifically in advising women that if they treat the perceived 'beast' with compassion, kindness and respect he may turn out to be the prince/king they always wanted.

Women have the power to transform men in profound ways.

I'd agree men were never 'above' women, women always had their power also.

The metric of a 'better man' must be seen from a woman's eyes, they mean a man that suits women better IMO. There is no objective 'best man' you see what I mean.

To equate this with your point in bold; this is a story that has resonated with people throughout time. Look at Beauty and the Beast or The Pig King. I think there may be some 'truth' in this specifically in advising women that if they treat the perceived 'beast' with compassion, kindness and respect he may turn out to be the prince/king they always wanted.

Women have the power to transform men in profound ways.

Most of it is because men see women as replacement mother figures rather than any feminine powers. In other cultures the man is a bit more wary and argumentative :P

Although, in fairness, Irish men in their thirties are pretty good with women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Is it crazy that I think that this is more about a rise in false accusations?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/13/senior-police-officer-raises-concerns-over-prosecutions

Have you even read the article?

The police have concerns that they are investigating and sending in files which meet the current disclosed minimum standard of evidence to prove a sexual assault took place to the CPS.
    The CPD is changing the rules about what level of evidence is required before the CPS will bring a case to court.
    So the CPS has decided its going to act in the place of a jury and stop cases which would have previously been brought to court.

Overall there have been more reported sexual assaults, however the number of actual cases being brought to the courts have dropped below previous historical levels and your conclusion was the cases which are being rejected have all been deemend false by the CPS?

And PS not all sexual assault victims are female.

The police have concerns that they are investigating and sending in files which meet the current disclosed minimum standard of evidence to prove a sexual assault took place to the CPS.
    The CPD is changing the rules about what level of evidence is required before the CPS will bring a case to court.
    So the CPS has decided its going to act in the place of a jury and stop cases which would have previously been brought to court.

Overall there have been more reported sexual assaults, however the number of actual cases being brought to the courts have dropped below previous historical levels and your conclusion was the cases which are being rejected have all been deemend false by the CPS?

And PS not all sexual assault victims are female.[/QUOTE

P.S. You are the one thinking that I was talking about females making false accusations against men ;)

Seanad Éireann debate -
    Thursday, 19 Apr 1956

Corporal Punishment for Girls—Motion (Resumed).

Debate resumed on the following motion:—
    That Seanad Éireann would welcome the alteration of the Department of Education regulations so as to prohibit altogether the use in Irish national schools of corporal punishment for girls.

Dr. Sheehy Skeffington
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/seanad/1956-04-19/6/

Probably doesn't prove a whole lot, by itself, given that the motion wasn't passed. But part of the reason for gender quotas was that male politicians are more inclined to help males and females and this needed to be balanced out. This is an example where this was not the case in terms of who proposed the motion, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_corporal_punishment_in_the_United_States#By_gender
    By gender

At the turn of the 20th century, both boys and girls received roughly equal levels of corporal punishments in U.S. schools, but girls were more likely to report their punishment as 'unjust' or 'unfair.' However, while punishment was seen as a builder of masculinity for boys, girls were not expected to experience the same benefits, so their punishment was often, but not always, more lenient.[8] This trend in gender parity changed significantly in the next century.

Today, boys are more likely than girls to be physically punished in schools, and this disparity has persisted for decades.[32] In 1992, boys accounted for 81 percent of all incidents of physical discipline in schools.[40] By 2012, the majority of school districts within states that legally allow corporal punishment registered a ratio of three to one or higher, indicating that boys are three times more likely than girls to receive corporal punishment.[32] Differences in behavior (and perceived behavior) can explain part of this imbalance, but does not account for the entire discrepancy between the genders. Boys have been found to be two times as likely as girls to be disciplined for misbehavior in school, but they are four times as likely to be disciplined with corporal punishment.[32][41]

When race and gender are considered together, black boys are sixteen times as likely to be subject of corporal punishment as white girls.[40] Among children with disabilities, black boys have the highest probability of being subject to corporal punishment, followed by white boys, black girls and white girls. While black boys are 1.8 times as likely as white boys to be physically punished, black girls are three times more likely than white girls.[32]
    --
    I think that looking at corporal punishment and gender might prove interesting. As I mentioned before, a female friend of mine said there was corporal punishment in her mixed class, but it was only for the boys. I went to an all-boys school where there was corporal punishment; my sisters went to an all-girls school where there wasn't. Outside of school, I was fortunate not to really experience corporal punishment at home but I knew a family where the 3 boys regularly got the belt but it was not considered suitable for their sister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

And PS not all sexual assault victims are female.[/QUOTE

P.S. You are the one thinking that I was talking about females making false accusations against men ;)
    Link up the cases of a sexual assault prosecution failing over the defence proving that it was a false accusation by a man or the CPS withdrawing charges once in court.

Advertisement