Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm cocooning - housemate being a d*ck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭MissJustice

L1011 wrote: »
    Report a thread if you believe this to be the case

The thread was not a wind up, I assure you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No not a wind up.

Although I manage having a cat given the fact that I have mild asthma. I won't give my cat up just because of that.

I sorted it out with my housemate this evening. He has decided to see sense and cop on with how deadly the virus is, and to keep me and our other housemate safe.

Cop on has finally prevailed with him.

Thanks for all your advice and comments, but not the comments that were not so nice.

Stay safe everyone.

Maybe I imagined it but didn't you say earlier that he promised to stop going to his relatives for work and he started going again.
    I have no idea how your going to manage when his other work and your other housemates starts up again.
    If I had health conditions I'd be out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭wonga77

So the housemate just saw sense, just like that and has completely changed his outlook?
    I have my doubts about this story tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

wonga77 wrote: »
    So the housemate just saw sense, just like that and has completely changed his outlook?
    I have my doubts about this story tbh

The house mate is probably keeping the peace, the OP probably spent the last 24 hours making it a nightmare for everyone in the house

I would guess the housemate will now go out and instead of coming back just stay out all day, which means increasing the risk of getting covid.

If you lived in a house and had someone monitoring your every move would you go back to it?

As discussed the OP should stop been so selfish and move out now, or risk both housemates turning completely against her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

As above they aren’t the law but these are the type of thing we are being asked to do and should be doing to limit the virus spread. If you can’t understand that then I doubt I can get in into your head.

We have never been asked by any official source to limit the duration of exercise to 20 minutes, or to anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Apologies if already mentioned but he is committing social welfare fraud if he is getting the Covid payment and getting paid for doing work for his relation also.

Apologies if already mentioned but he is committing social welfare fraud if he is getting the Covid payment and getting paid for doing work for his relation also.

Was the flatmate claiming welfare mentioned previously or did you jump to that conclusion by yourself?

wonga77 wrote: »
    Was the flatmate claiming welfare mentioned previously or did you jump to that conclusion by yourself?

I said if they are claiming it. I was asking the question more or less.

Anyway it's hardly a leap in the dark when mentioned they were let go from their work. Why wouldn't they claim it? Hundreds of thousands are.

The country is borrowing billions to pay this and we will have to pay this back. If someone is taking the piss and doing nixers also it's not on and illegal.

I said if they are claiming it. I was asking the question more or less.

Anyway it's hardly a leap in the dark when mentioned they were let go from their work. Why wouldn't they claim it? Hundreds of thousands are.

The country is borrowing billions to pay this and we will have to pay this back. If someone is taking the piss and doing nixers also it's not on and illegal.

This thread just sunk further into silliness. Now the flat mate is a fraudster.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Someone who should be renting on their own and wants all the benefits of such whilst actually sharing.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    This thread just sunk further into silliness. Now the flat mate is a fraudster.

Yes if they are getting social welfare which is very likely and also working nixers which has been established by the OP, yes they are commiting fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yes if they are getting social welfare which is very likely and also working nixers which has been established by the OP, yes they are commiting fraud.

Similar happened in the other thread

It now a case of who can come up with the most ridiculous statement

Shefwedfan wrote: »

It now a vase of who can come up with the most ridiculous statement

Very flowery comment :pac:

Very flowery comment :pac:

You are currently in the lead.

Out of interest, is there anything stopping someone on wage subsidy scheme from working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I heard the flatmate was selling drugs on the side...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

It now a case of who can come up with the most ridiculous statement

The flat mate is leaving the house to work on a vaccine for a vaccine to corona. He wants to weaponise it. And had his first target lined up. This person has posted on the thread.

@shed, am I doing it right?

We have never been asked by any official source to limit the duration of exercise to 20 minutes, or to anything.

The word “brief exercise” has been used numerous times by officials.

Also if we are being asked to stay at home and to limit or interaction with anyone outside their home even the most dim people should be able to understand that part of that would be limiting the number of times you go exercising and the length of it. Unfortunately many are incapable of realising this and this is why things are getting drawn out longer and longer.

Personally I would not be at all surprised if the opening of the country takes far longer than the plan due to people being so stupid and selfish that they can follow the rules and guidance and understand that leaving your house constantly, multiple shopping trips, prolonged or multiple exercises per day etc is the type of thing that goes totally against “stay at home”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The word “brief exercise” has been used numerous times by officials.

Also if we are being asked to stay at home and to limit or interaction with anyone outside their home even the most dim people should be able to understand that part of that would be limiting the number of times you go exercising and the length of it. Unfortunately many are incapable of realising this and this is why things are getting drawn out longer and longer.

Personally I would not be at all surprised if the opening of the country takes far longer than the plan due to people being so stupid and selfish that they can follow the rules and guidance and understand that leaving your house constantly, multiple shopping trips, prolonged or multiple exercises per day etc is the type of thing that goes totally against “stay at home”.
    I have no desire to derail this joke of a thread but I can assure you once a government is formed Dr Holohan will be put back in his box and the country will be reopened a damn sight faster than the present timeline. The destruction of the economy will take centre stage.
    As an aside 'brief' is open to interpretation, I regularly run marathon distance while training so to me a 1 to 2 hour run is brief.

I have no desire to derail this joke of a thread but I can assure you once a government is formed Dr Holohan will be put back in his box and the country will be reopened a damn sight faster than the present timeline. The destruction of the economy will take centre stage.
    As an aside 'brief' is open to interpretation, I regularly run marathon distance while training so to me a 1 to 2 hour run is brief.

Did you enjoy your day out to cheer on Gemma outside the court? Your statements would certainly fit in well so I’m sure you did. Get many hugs?

Did you enjoy your day out to cheer on Gemma outside the court? Your statements would certainly fit in well so I’m sure you did. Get many hugs?

You should stop now, you're just embarrassing yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This has gone round and round on many other thread with successive posters quoting the voices in their heads as authoritative sources for "brief" meaning 5 mins, 10 mins, 20 mins, 30 mins, 60 mins etc. The Irish government removed the word brief from their official communications, while the French defined it as 60 mins. 20 mins hasn't appeared anywhere other than in a dream nox had. Also "once a day" is a UK restriction, not an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Housesharing and cocooning are incompatible. Unless all housemates are also cocooning, which wouldn't be a common situation I expect, it's not reasonable for those who need to cocoon to expect the others to follow the same restrictions, especially if they are in a position to work and need the income.

You should stop now, you're just embarrassing yourself.

Your post basically said “I am happy to kill more people than is necessary” which is what happens if we open up too quickly and ignore the advice we are given. And you think I’m embarrassing myself :rolleyes:

Your post basically said “I am happy to kill more people than is necessary” which is what happens if we open up too quickly and ignore the advice we are given. And you think I’m embarrassing myself :rolleyes:

Im not sure you understand the meaning of inverted commas

Jeez Boards is annoyingly slow

I’m embarrassing myself

Totally agree with you, that's why I suggested you stop.
    Btw the inverted commas suggest a quotation, I never said it . You made it up . You have no point when you revert to lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Looks like the OP got sorted in post 147

The army checkpoints and special shopping passes was the best comment. It was only missing summary execution at the side of the road :pac:

Totally agree with you, that's why I suggested you stop.
    Btw the inverted commas suggest a quotation, I never said it . You made it up . You have no point when you revert to lies.

Commas doesn’t necessarily mean an exact quote, they can be used as I did also. I use them like this all the time and have never seen anyone find issue.
    mikemac2 wrote: »

The army checkpoints and special shopping passes was the best comment. It was only missing summary execution at the side of the road :pac:

It’s almost like some have been living in another world for the past few months, making a laugh out of my suggestion that has been the reality in many countries. You do realise this is exactly how lockdown worked in Spain and Italy, Italy especially had severe punishments for anyone out of the house for any reason at all without a permit.

There was none of this rubbish getting posted a few weeks ago but not people are really showing the massive complacency that’s setting in and it shows he total lack of respect many have for those who have died or could die if they contract the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Point us to the post you are quoting from please. Or did you just make that up in your head, like the “laws” that you keep mentioning?
    It’s obvious now why you’ve lived at home all your life making no financial contribution to the housekeeping. You just weren’t suitable for communal living.

The house mate is probably keeping the peace, the OP probably spent the last 24 hours making it a nightmare for everyone in the house

I would guess the housemate will now go out and instead of coming back just stay out all day, which means increasing the risk of getting covid.

If you lived in a house and had someone monitoring your every move would you go back to it?

As discussed the OP should stop been so selfish and move out now, or risk both housemates turning completely against her

And how would you know what has taken place in the past 24 hours in our house?

I am sick to death of people like you who come online and make their own assumptions about someone, and call them selfish or whatever else they decide upon.

And now I should move out of my own home? Again, when you don't have a clue what has gone on here.

Sounds like you would be a nightmare to live with.

• Advertisement

I am sick to death of people like you who come online and make their own assumptions about someone, and call them selfish or whatever else they decide upon.

And now I should move out of my own home? Again, when you don't have a clue what has gone on here.

But it's not just your home though is it? You are expecting your housemates to cocoon with you and conform to your demands. As other posters have said how are you going to manage when the restrictions start lifting. Do you expect the people in the house to continue to isolate? If you do your nativity is touching.
    You got excellent advice to go to your parents home, they have an investment in you, your housemates don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well we know one thing for definite, we only have your side of the story. And given your general tone so far, it's not a wild guess that the other side paints a different picture.

He has been working with his relative for the past week, and most likely getting paid. He would do anything to make a euro.

His relative lives almost 3km away. His relative lives with at least 3 people maybe 4 or 5 other people in the house. My housemate does not practice social distancing, or even wash his hands in our house at all, so I have no reason to believe that he does anything different when he goes to his relatives house.

As I was previously saying, he was also going to the shop or Tescos at least once or twice a day on top of that, coming home and not washing his hands at all. Having absolutely no regard for me or my housemate, or having the simple cop on to do something as simple as washing his hands.

Enough is enough. I have been in hospital with really bad pneumonia in the past, where I was struggling for every breath. I couldn't sleep for almost two days because I couldn't breathe properly. I was then put on oxygen, steroids and nebulisers on almost a constant basis every day for almost two weeks.

If you had gone through that or knew someone who had been that sick, and struggling for breath, you would be taking the advice of the government seriously.

It's people like my housemate and other idiots on this thread that will cause the lockdown to be extended because you simply cannot abide by guidelines to protect yourself and others.

By not abiding by these rules, and behaving like we are not in lockdown, I really do not know what could be more selfish to people you live with, others you come into contact with in the shops, and the further disregard for our nurses and doctors who are going into such a dangerous environment everyday to save many people from this deadly virus.

I guarantee you that if the likes of Gemma O'Doherty or the idiots that follow her, or the other idiots on this thread that moan and complain about restrictions, if you got the virus or were in a position in the past when you had severe pneumonia, then you would know how important and vital it is to follow the guidelines and practice some common sense cop on, and have some consideration for others.

Stark wrote: »
    Well we know one thing for definite, we only have your side of the story. And given your general tone so far, it's not a wild guess that the other side paints a different picture.

I really don't care what you think about me, but making assumptions about me when you don't even know me is quite pathetic and uncalled for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Why is there no middle ground between the army performing executions roadside on people who are 2.1km away from their homes, and standing outside the court clapping, supporting Gemma O’Doherty?

Two quite extreme positions, no? Surely a middle ground is in everyone’s best interests?

I really don't care what you think about me, but making assumptions about me when you don't even know me is quite pathetic and uncalled for.

A lot of us who spent many years house sharing recognise that you appear to be, I'm sorry, a bit of a nightmare as a housemate.
    You are self cocooning. These other people who are not your family and owe you nothing do not have to self cocoon. This seems to be lost on you and that’s what is causing the pile-on here.
    If housemates want to go to work then you can’t tell them that they can’t. You can’t tell housemates when or how often they can shop. That’s ridiculous. You can’t police the hand washing.
    If you don’t like the conditions in the house then you need to find somewhere else to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Live by your rules = rent your own place.

splinter65 wrote: »
    A lot of us who spent many years house sharing recognise that you appear to be, I'm sorry, a bit of a nightmare as a housemate.
    You are self cocooning. These other people who are not your family and owe you nothing do not have to self cocoon. This seems to be lost on you and that’s what is causing the pile-on here.
    If housemates want to go to work then you can’t tell them that they can’t. You can’t tell housemates when or how often they can shop. That’s ridiculous. You can’t police the hand washing.
    If you don’t like the conditions in the house then you need to find somewhere else to live.

I'm not asking them to cocoon with me at all, when did I say that in this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm not asking them to cocoon with me at all, when did I say that in this thread?

What are you going to do on May 18th when restrictions begin easing and he and your other housemate will be allowed to meet with friends and family outdoors?

SusieBlue wrote: »
    What are you going to do on May 18th when restrictions begin easing and he and your other housemate will be allowed to meet with friends and family outdoors?

That is based on government guidelines not based on me.

That is based on government guidelines not based on me.

But they will be out, you know this. They will not stay inside with you and your cat.

• Advertisement

But they will be out, you know this. They will not stay inside with you and your cat.

Yes, I'm aware of that, are you expecting me to be annoyed by what will take place on the 18th of May or something?

Yes, I'm aware of that, are you expecting me to be annoyed by what will take place on the 18th of May or something?

Not annoyed, but you should be prepared and accept that they will be going out all the time.

Not annoyed, but you should be prepared and accept that they will be going out all the time.

I know they will. I have no authority to tell them what to do.

Exactly.

You are right. You have absolutely no authority to tell anyone else what to do.
    What’s this thread about then?

splinter65 wrote: »
    You are right. You have absolutely no authority to tell anyone else what to do.
    What’s this thread about then?

I am not and never have told them what to do, even at present. When in the thread did I ever say I was telling them or forcing them what to do with regards to the virus?

I am not and never have told them what to do, even at present. When in the thread did I ever say I was telling them or forcing them what to do with regards to the virus?

Wow.

Wow.

Well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Get him arrested and get it done now. Going to Tesco without your blessing is a serious disrespect to you. You deserve justice.

So I live in house with two others. We are all renters.

I have a number of long term chronic conditions, mild asthma, weak lungs - I don't know how many times I have had pneumonia in the past. There is also a possibility I have MS, which I have to get tested for. My immune system at present is very weak. Both of my housemates are aware of all of this.

One housemate is respecting social distancing, not leaving the house unless necessary for food or medicine, and aware of the fact that I'm cocooning.

The other housemate was put off work about 3 weeks ago. He has absolutely no respect for how serious the virus is. He currently goes up to work with his relative almost every day for the past week. When he's not there and in the house, he leaves the house at least 3 maybe 4 times a day.

He goes to Tesco's, then later might to to the shop, go out again then somewhere else. He comes in and won't wash his hands. He is carrying on like there is no virus at all. I have asked him nicely a few times over the past week to please stay in the house and not to be leaving 3 or 4 times a day, and to stop going working at his relatives every day.

He said he would have one more day of work, so I said ok, one day is ok. He lied. He went back there again, and will have another few days of work there, and doesn't give a damn about transmitting the virus to me, and that if I get it, without question, I will end up in hospital, or worse. There is my other housemate too, who he couldn't care less about either with his behaviour.

I had a really bad row with him today, and again asked him not to be leaving the house as much. (If it was for walks on his own that would be fine, but he is deliberately going out and being amongst people) He told me to F*ck off, and refused to speak to me. I'm terrified of picking the virus up from him, particularly when I have to cocoon.

Any advice as to how to deal with him?

Thanks xx

Did you forget you wrote this?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement