Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

To me, the weightlifting house guy is just saying "yeah there's a problem, but what's your solution". Really just clickbait.

I don't think Clarence is claiming to have the solution in his video, he's merely highlighting how ridiculous the current situation is and how it clearly does not work.

Elite level sport is not a healthy pursuit, and athletes who care about winning are always going to find a way to take drugs. Until society accepts that as truth, I think there needs to be more videos like Clarence's one to educate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Cill94 wrote: »
    To me, the weightlifting house guy is just saying "yeah there's a problem, but what's your solution". Really just clickbait.

I don't think Clarence is claiming to have the solution in his video, he's merely highlighting how ridiculous the current situation is and how it clearly does not work.

Elite level sport is not a healthy pursuit, and athletes who care about winning are always going to find a way to take drugs. Until society accepts that as truth, I think there needs to be more videos like Clarence's one to educate people.

There was a lot more in there than just "what's your solution?". The way things currently stand with regards to the illegality of PED/steroids (in most countries) and the stigma surrounding them means that untested sport is a essentially pipedream. It would greatly impact general participation and essentially kill youth participation.

The main problem is greed and corruption rather than the testing. A properly implemented and well funded testing program can absolutely minimise (you will never squash it fully) the amount of doping that goes on. Testing methods are improving every year and many AAS are pretty much unusable due to how long their detection times now are. However widespread corruption and brown envelopes are constantly undermining this. The goal should be to crush the corruption not remove testing. The corruption will still be there and the corrupt people will find other avenues to fúck over other athletes in order to benefit their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't think that's a fair assessment of his video. He hasn't said he's offering a solution nor did he ask for solutions to be put forward.

He's just saying that he disagrees with Clarence that the removal of anti doping would improve the four key areas he outlined and that ultimately he disagrees that testing, as flawed as it is, is better than not testing.

It's a disagreement on points made by Clarence, who acknowledged them as good points. It's a good discussion to have; I disagree that it's a clickbait response.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I don't really mind what professional athletes who are under medical supervision do as regards PEDs, but I think any decision made in respect of how we approach them could have a knock-on effect in terms of levels of PED usage by non professionals in the wider community.

I'm not really that bothered about PED usage by adults in gyms up and down the country either, but I would have a concern about any change in policies that might lead to a further uptick in adolescent doping, or the rate or age at which they adopt PEDs outside of a professional context.

Something might be a reasonable balance between fairness and practicality in relation to professional sports, but the decision shouldn't just about those sports and the people concerned.

DylanJM wrote: »
    There was a lot more in there than just "what's your solution?". The way things currently stand with regards to the illegality of PED/steroids (in most countries) and the stigma surrounding them means that untested sport is a essentially pipedream. It would greatly impact general participation and essentially kill youth participation.

The main problem is greed and corruption rather than the testing. A properly implemented and well funded testing program can absolutely minimise (you will never squash it fully) the amount of doping that goes on. Testing methods are improving every year and many AAS are pretty much unusable due to how long their detection times now are. However widespread corruption and brown envelopes are constantly undermining this. The goal should be to crush the corruption not remove testing. The corruption will still be there and the corrupt people will find other avenues to fúck over other athletes in order to benefit their own.

Does the fact that it's unlikely to happen anytime soon make the point any less valid though? How else would things ever change if we didn't at least create the conversation?

I think killing youth participation is a big assumption. For one thing, the majority of kids participate in sports without ever going on to do it professionally. Big difference between recreational and professional and most people know this. Also, parents already allow kids to participate in sports like rugby and boxing, which we know for a fact can have serious effects on brain health. So I wouldn't assume that a parent wouldn't allow a child to play a sport as a child because of the dangers of pursuing it into adulthood.

I think corruption is only one part of the problem, which you're correct about us probably never being able to fully eradicate. The other part of the problem is holding athletes to a bizarre ethical standard. Sports aren't healthy, and yet we allow athletes to make that decision for themselves, in every domain except pharmaceuticals.

It's fine for a grown man to make the decision to make his living in a sport where he routinely runs into other men on a rugby pitch at car-crash forces. ..But we're not going to let him take steroids because it's bad for his health?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Also, parents already allow kids to participate in sports like rugby and boxing, which we know for a fact can have serious effects on brain health. So I wouldn't assume that a parent wouldn't allow a child to play a sport as a child because of the dangers of pursuing it into adulthood.

I think there is probably a long term reckoning coming around contact sports - whether field sports or combat sports - unfortunately.

I participate, and my sons participate, and I wouldn't like that to change, but there could be an EU directive that kicks off state by state public health responses if the data just keeps getting clearer and pointing to brain injuries. It could be taken out of the hands of parents and sports organisations.

Although personally I think personal agency and the acceptance of any risks associated is valid, I wonder are we that type of society anymore, I think there's a public health agenda that is quite powerful. I also wonder about contact sports becoming uninsurable on the basis of this type of thing.

I think the brain injury issue is also different to PED usage in that the one cannot be inherently managed under current rule sets whereas PED usage seems to be less risky under appropriate medical supervision.

Does the fact that it's unlikely to happen anytime soon make the point any less valid though? How else would things ever change if we didn't at least create the conversation?

I think killing youth participation is a big assumption. For one thing, the majority of kids participate in sports without ever going on to do it professionally. Big difference between recreational and professional and most people know this. Also, parents already allow kids to participate in sports like rugby and boxing, which we know for a fact can have serious effects on brain health. So I wouldn't assume that a parent wouldn't allow a child to play a sport as a child because of the dangers of pursuing it into adulthood.

I think corruption is only one part of the problem, which you're correct about us probably never being able to fully eradicate. The other part of the problem is holding athletes to a bizarre ethical standard. Sports aren't healthy, and yet we allow athletes to make that decision for themselves, in every domain except pharmaceuticals.

It's fine for a grown man to make the decision to make his living in a sport where he routinely runs into other men on a rugby pitch at car-crash forces. ..But we're not going to let him take steroids because it's bad for his health?

I'm not saying it's not a valid point I just don't think it's something that will ever realistically happen on a large scale in sports.

Unless there's going to be some regulation (brings us back to square one) then moving to untested sports will have a massive impact on both the youth and female sections of sport. Parents will not want their kids being exposed to AAS and likewise most women (I would guess) wouldn't be keen on exposing themselves to the risk of virilisation (look at female competitors in untested BB or PL).

I'm not anti PEDs btw. I just don't see moving to untested sports all round as a realistic option.

I'm not saying it's not a valid point I just don't think it's something that will ever realistically happen on a large scale in sports.

Unless there's going to be some regulation (brings us back to square one) then moving to untested sports will have a massive impact on both the youth and female sections of sport. Parents will not want their kids being exposed to AAS and likewise most women (I would guess) wouldn't be keen on exposing themselves to the risk of virilisation (look at female competitors in untested BB or PL).

I'm not anti PEDs btw. I just don't see moving to untested sports all round as a realistic option.

I agree that I don’t think it will happen in our lifetimes at least.

There are women already using drugs outside of those sports and the drugs have advanced to the point where women can enhance performance with minimal virilisation. I believe Anavar is the PED of choice for bikini competitors, and they look pretty feminine. I’m sure female athletes in other sports are already availing of this.

I agree that I don’t think it will happen in our lifetimes at least.

There are women already using drugs outside of those sports and the drugs have advanced to the point where women can enhance performance with minimal virilisation. I believe Anavar is the PED of choice for bikini competitors, and they look pretty feminine. I’m sure female athletes in other sports are already availing of this.

The testing is what limits the virilisation currently, look at female olympic weightlifters from the early 2000-2012 compared to now. Big change but even now you still see some pretty obvious signs in some lifters.

In regards to bikini and female bodybuilding it mainly comes down to judging criteria for the divisions. Each division has a certain "look" and the drugs used and dosages are a reflection of that. Bikini doesn't require a whole lot of muscle so milder drugs and doses are used. In untested sports strength that wouldn't apply, people would take whatever is needed to win. I would wager female participation in the IPF is considerably greater than in untested feds and I believe the drug issue is a big part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My main argument against it would be that I don't know if removing testing makes it fairer. The athletes/countries with advantages as it stands would still have those advantages.

Haven’t got around to the videos yet. But interested in how it’s supposedly safer.

Anybody doping to dangerous level in spite of the rules, is not going to sudden start using PEDs responsibly because they are permitted.
    There are women already using drugs outside of those sports and the drugs have advanced to the point where women can enhance performance with minimal virilisation. I believe Anavar is the PED of choice for bikini competitors, and they look pretty feminine.
    Sure it’s possibly to take low levels of minor aas and don’t do damage. What happens when the Bikini model decides to move to figure or physique. Then it’s a different level of male hormones.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Haven’t got around to the videos yet. But interested in how it’s supposedly safer.

Anybody doping to dangerous level in spite of the rules, is not going to sudden start using PEDs responsibly because they are permitted.

People wouldn't be using drugs like Tren, it would all be regulated and what's available would be safe. That's the contention made.

I would disagree with that contention. There will still be people at a disadvantage with regard to the resources and support they have. Knowing their competitors will be doping, they're likely to consider pushing beyond what's healthy.

People wouldn't be using drugs like Tren, it would all be regulated and what's available would be safe. That's the contention made.

I would disagree with that contention. There will still be people at a disadvantage with regard to the resources and support they have. Knowing their competitors will be doping, they're likely to consider pushing beyond what's healthy.

But then you'll have to test people to make sure they're not using the special sauces that aren't allowed and we're right back to square one! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Just need some billionaire to come along and set up a new competition with big prize funds for winners/records and zero drug testing

But then you'll have to test people to make sure they're not using the special sauces that aren't allowed and we're right back to square one! ;):D

No you're allowed the special sauces too.

It'd be interesting to see how long before you get an actual Dr Manhattan

I understand that some black market AAS may be dangerous due to a lack of quality control. (actual compound not match the label, dose not matching the label). But my understanding was that the real danger of AAS is by and large down to the dose.
    If PEDs were fully legal. I fail to see any scenario where the average dose does not increase. Meaning more people will be overdosing.

I understand that some black market AAS may be dangerous due to a lack of quality control. (actual compound not match the label, dose not matching the label). But my understanding was that the real danger of AAS is by and large down to the dose.
    If PEDs were fully legal. I fail to see any scenario where the average dose does not increase. Meaning more people will be overdosing.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

my understanding would be this. Most steroids are made legit for legit human consumption so dose and irresponsible use would be the main cause of issues.

However Tren isn't. It's for livestock. :rolleyes

I don't have an in-depth knowledge on anabolics but I've heard many an elite lifters state that most people overestimate what dosage is needed to optimise performance.

If that's the case then the benefits of legality would be more research and education around what is both the safest and most optimal dosages.

Another major problem is that the illegality and stigma has prevented conducting enough research to know the extent of how harmful these drugs actually are. As Clarence mentions in that video, there's a wide range of substances that could have very different health outcomes but similar performance ones.

I don't have an in-depth knowledge on anabolics but I've heard many an elite lifters state that most people overestimate what dosage is needed to optimise performance.

If that's the case then the benefits of legality would be more research and education around what is both the safest and most optimal dosages.

Another major problem is that the illegality and stigma has prevented conducting enough research to know the extent of how harmful these drugs actually are. As Clarence mentions in that video, there's a wide range of substances that could have very different health outcomes but similar performance ones.

Assuming all of those benefits come to pass, I still think the dosages start to increase. Not necessarily amongst the elite, but those chasing the elites. There are a lot of people without a whole lot of resources or support to be kept from straying beyond the boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I hear ya lads. It wasn’t that long ago I was downing 4g’s of creatine.

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I hear ya lads. It wasn’t that long ago I was downing 4g’s of creatine.

Creatine is so last year

Does he morph into Jyzz at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Just had MyProtein powdered peanut butter for the first time, delish! Tastes just like the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

Bought two 20kg bumper plates from a well known Irish supplier. First time I used them, I could have sworn one side of the bar was noticeably heavier, but I just put it down to not being centred on my back.

Curiosity got the best of me as I couldn't find the "centre" of the bar for a few days at this stage and was only happening when these plates were on. So I decided to weigh them on a very accurate digital scales.

First plate was 19.2kg and the second plate was 21.7kg!!

Not being competition plates I wouldn't expect them to be perfect, but an imbalance of 2.5kg :D

My OCD got the better of me and I ordered 4 new plates from BLKBOX. Weighed them straight away and they were all bang on 20kg.

Only gripe I have with these now is the width of them.

paw patrol wrote: »
    However Tren isn't. It's for livestock. :rolleyes

Never knew that. I assumed it was one of the early experimental steroids out of soviet trials, that just happened to be useful for farmers and vets. Rather than being specifically for them

I'm sure there is a optimal dose, and many are over dosing.
    But I don't think these are high level athletes with dedicated medical teams, but rather lads going it along who just say, screw it I'll just take more drugs.
    If they are readily availible, more random Joes will have that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Creatine is so last year

I've seen memes/references to this online recently. Save me watching - is this guy advocating for drinking jizz for gainz?

If so, it reminds me about the time I tried making protein ice cream. I didn't research any recipes or anything. I just mixed some vanilla whey and a tin of coconut milk and froze it. Before freezing, it looked like jizz. Like, really, really looked like jizz. If you scooped some on a spoon and let it drip off, it, well you know. If you saw me with the big tub of this stuff after making it, you'd think I'd lost my mind, but probably admired my 'work ethic'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I've seen memes/references to this online recently. Save me watching - is this guy advocating for drinking jizz for gainz?

If so, it reminds me about the time I tried making protein ice cream. I didn't research any recipes or anything. I just mixed some vanilla whey and a tin of coconut milk and froze it. Before freezing, it looked like jizz. Like, really, really looked like jizz. If you scooped some on a spoon and let it drip off, it, well you know. If you saw me with the big tub of this stuff after making it, you'd think I'd lost my mind, but probably admired my 'work ethic'.

That’s me done with ice cream. Thanks

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    That’s me done with ice cream. Thanks

Have you had Ben & Jerry's...?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Heavyweight men's weightlifting is on eurosport now. Savage stuff.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    Heavyweight men's weightlifting is on eurosport now. Savage stuff.

All time snatch WR. He also jerked 263kg for an all time total record of 485kg.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNhz06ED9Ox/

Advertisement