Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Mellor wrote: »
    Joe Wicks sells millions of copies of diet books build around carb restriction for cutting and smart use of carbs at heavy training cycles.

Sudden after 8 books. And milking the template. It’s all about mental health and feeling goood.

Yep, he has no integrity. He just parrots whatever the current nutrition trend is, and so manages to stay relevant.

James Smith did a good podcast breakdown a while ago about how many times this guy has flip-flopped on his advice.

Jim Wendler banned from Instagram and Twitter for.. nothing?

https://jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/social-media-blackout

I follow him on IG and can't say I've ever seen him post anything other than training stuff and the odd libertarian opinion on hating government and taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Cill94 wrote: »

I follow him on IG and can't say I've ever seen him post anything other than training stuff and the odd libertarian opinion on hating government and taxes.

He stalled and became part of The Great Reset, innit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Considering some of the things I see on Facebook and Twitter that aren't actioned, it must be something pretty serious

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Claiming that he was given strikes for “body-weight” sounds like BS. His reference to “freedom” is also a bit of a flag.
    His new website Parler is a notorious alt-right platform. They’re is a reasonable chance he simply closed them down and spun a sob story.

• Advertisement

Claiming that he was given strikes for “body-weight” sounds like BS. His reference to “freedom” is also a bit of a flag.
    His new website Parler is a notorious alt-right platform. They’re is a reasonable chance he simply closed them down and spun a sob story.

He wouldn't be the first person to claim persecution by social media companies and dry up on alt right social media

they/them/theirs

Unless he posted something very recently, I'm up to date with his most recent posts and there was nothing that could be deemed as hate speech in there.

He definitely has conservative viewpoints, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to ban someone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

bladespin wrote: »
    Business strategy, get then fit then fat again so they go back.

I was never into Wicks but is he a nonsense peddler?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Unless he posted something very recently, I'm up to date with his most recent posts and there was nothing that could be deemed as hate speech in there.

He definitely has conservative viewpoints, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to ban someone.

It isn't and he definitely wouldn't be banned for it.

they/them/theirs

I was never into Wicks but is he a nonsense peddler?

I think he just peddles what he thinks sells. There is not a lot inherently bad about anything I've seen from him, but he's not ground breaking or original.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I failed a bench press this evening

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIgmqKBDq87

142.5?

Was close tbf

Nice little complex, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Should’ve called it “how to crush your pelvis elegantly”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Fcukin weightlifters. Benching more than me :mad:

About a year ago I had a video removed from Facebook. The title was "Why you can't lose weight". Title was directly aimed at people who were struggling to lose weight and video just explained basic calorie math. Anyway, I got a notification from Facebook that the ad had been removed for implying there was something wrong with being overweight (?) , and that further infringements would lead to action on my account.

That was just one video, whereas most of Wendler's products revolve around a philosophy of taking responsibility for your lot in life, so I could see how this combined with his decent follower count would irk the likes of IG and Twitter who are trying to make a big push for body positivity.

Anyway, I got a notification from Facebook that the ad had been removed for implying there was something wrong with being overweight (?) , and that further infringements would lead to action on my account.
    A post or an ad?

A post is a personal opinion. You be entitled to hold most reasonable views.
    An ad is more tightly controlled due to various standards that apply.

But if it was just general info, I think it’s harsh treating it strictly like a ad - even if linked to a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Bloody weightlifters benching a weight I could only dream of dead lifting!

A post or an ad?

A post is a personal opinion. You be entitled to hold most reasonable views.
    An ad is more tightly controlled due to various standards that apply.

But if it was just general info, I think it’s harsh treating it strictly like a ad - even if linked to a business.

Yeah it was an ad, as I remember the notification said that targeting overweight people with that kind of title was an issue.

142.5?

Was close tbf

Yup. Hit 140 last week to match my PB so was hoping to pass it with this.

A stretch to call myself a weightlifter these days really, ex weightlifter would be more appropriate. Spend most of my time doing general strength stuff now.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Beast gets 47% off

Which is still pretty impressive

You get the option of some extras too, like a selection of free protein bars. They’re not worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I've always ordered from Bulk Powder (who incidentally have rebranded to just Bulk now, and packaging is different). They come from the UK so I guess I would be hit for VAT and/or Customs after next week.

Are there any comparably priced Irish sellers recommended? I'm thinking along the lines of the same prices as the likes of Bulk when they have 50% off sales (which is every week pretty much).

Are myprotein Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

was wondering the other day why don't Tesco and the like get into selling protein powder? it seems like plenty of people are using it in some form or another?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

MP aren't Irish.

Kinetica are the only supplement company that I can think of that isn't just a supplier of different brands.

AFAIK, Glanbia is a supplier.

Probably not the same price point as BP or MP though

silverharp wrote: »
    was wondering the other day why don't Tesco and the like get into selling protein powder? it seems like plenty of people are using it in some form or another?

Tesco do sell protein powder but it’s not cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Tesco do sell protein powder but it’s not cheap

And Dunnes and SuperValu both sell Kinetica and sometimes ROS - ROS nutrition are another Irish producer afaik - but Discount supplements.ie and hp Nutrition would be the best bet for Irish stores selling Whey at a cheapish price imo. Won't be at the same price point as MP and bulk though, for understandable reasons.

I would have figured both brands would be large enough to open a warehouse in an EU country in order to continue serving the EU market without additional taxes post Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

DylanJM wrote: »
    I would have figured both brands would be large enough to open a warehouse in an EU country in order to continue serving the EU market without additional taxes post Brexit.

I imagine they may well do in time (My Protein anyway - who I think are a lot bigger than bulk (ironically :-)) I think there were a lot of people banking on a trade deal, or at least waiting to see how things might pan out and haven't moved on setting up EU locations just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

The second day of Europe’s Strongest Man is on Channel 5 at 7pm tonight for anyone interested.

Advertisement